PDA

View Full Version : How to paint... LED Rear Fender Tip 2nd Gen...?

lloydmoore1
01-04-2016, 04:23 PM
http://wingstuff.com/products/34930-black-w-smoke-lenses-led-rear-fender-tip-2nd-gen-gl1800-f6b?context=lights_electrical-f6b

So I'm thinking of painting the fender tip a flat black to match better.
I will probably just use a can of plastic approved spray paint.

Any one do this yet??
What should I do to prep the area? Should I lightly sand it or just paint it?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Lloyd

Kdarmy
01-04-2016, 04:56 PM
I did exactly what your thinking about...Used a can of flat black and it matched perfectly! I didn't like the look of the original gloss look either.

I thought at first I may need to use a Semi-Flat to match, but didn't have any on hand, but I did have regular flat black so that's what I used....and glad I did.

All I did was tape off the clear lens part then just cleaned the black plastic with some alcohol and painted with two coats...probable didn't wait 30min before the second coat. That's probably been 4 months ago or longer and it still looks like the day I painted it...when I do clean it, I do take it easy on it tho...but if ever needed, easy to remove and add another coat.

Keith

lloydmoore1
01-04-2016, 08:26 PM
Excellent thanks flat black it is.

Heavvyduty
01-04-2016, 08:50 PM
I did exactly what your thinking about...Used a can of flat black and it matched perfectly! I didn't like the look of the original gloss look either.

I thought at first I may need to use a Semi-Flat to match, but didn't have any on hand, but I did have regular flat black so that's what I used....and glad I did.

All I did was tape off the clear lens part then just cleaned the black plastic with some alcohol and painted with two coats...probable didn't wait 30min before the second coat. That's probably been 4 months ago or longer and it still looks like the day I painted it...when I do clean it, I do take it easy on it tho...but if ever needed, easy to remove and add another coat.

Keith

pics plz

Pap
01-04-2016, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=Kdarmy;105729]I did exactly what your thinking about...Used a can of flat black and it matched perfectly! I didn't like the look of the original gloss look either.

I used a spray can of black bed liner on mine.
Either one is an improvement IMHO.

Kdarmy
01-05-2016, 06:34 PM

Here is a quick pic I already had of the back...if you zoom in maybe you can see it better...?
It actually matches better then I think the pic shows....definitely better than the cheap gloss plastic look it had.