PDA

View Full Version : F6B and minor buffeting issue

rdeady
01-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Purchased a black 2013 F6B a few weeks ago. As a matter of fact it is the one in the forum classifieds. Fellow that sold it to me was indeed a pleasure to work with and we had a real smooth transaction !!! It has the Vance and Hines Monster squared pipes which sound sweet .I absolutely love them. It also came with a few other accessories. One of them is the tall Honda windshield (16.5 inches)with a vent. I am 5'10" and I look over the shield which may come up to my nose? Ok,now to the point: The first time I took the bike for a ride i was very surprised that it felt like someone was behind me pushing me forward !!!! my first thought was "you have got to be kidding me" . I purchased this bike hoping to be in a pocket of non turbulence at all speeds. So I installed the baker hand wings but they didn't really seem to help much as I am still getting pushed forward(vacuum effect?). I am also experiencing buffeting around the head. I do wear a full face so there is a lot of helmet up there. Its mostly at speeds over 70. Now its not bothersome for short rides but I really don't think I could enjoy a ride at sustained speeds over 70. If I lean forward about 6" and down about 6" so i am looking through the windshield and I'm closer to the shield I find its relatively calm. I know there are lots of posts about windshields out there and that I probably need to switch it for another. But If any have thoughts or first hand experience on how to lick this problem please let me know. Thanks Russ

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately, my solution was a combination of items.

The most noticeable buffeting is when I wear my Scorpion, vented full face helmet. It by shape creates 99% of my buffeting. I have much less to nearly none when I wear a 3/4 half or 1/2 helmet.
I get same effect on my other fairing bikes.

There are plenty of windshield threads you can search, so I won't start another.

My seating position mods with risers, footboards and backrest are the final.

Jim

F6B1911
01-10-2016, 01:40 PM
The Madstad windshield system resolved that for me.

willtill
01-10-2016, 01:47 PM
I am 5'10" as well, with a medim Clearview recurve (apprx 16") and I get slight buffeting. But I do not get "pushed" from behind.

One thing I found interesting is that if I flip up the face shield on my 3/4 HJC helmet at speed; the buffeting pretty much goes away.

Coinincentally I have been planning to purchase another 3/4 helmet from Bell, that has a peak installed as well. I am hoping that the peak will negate the buffeting that the visor does, when in the up position. It will be an interesting test.

opas ride
01-10-2016, 01:59 PM
I am 5'10" as well, with a medim Clearview recurve (apprx 16") and I get slight buffeting. But I do not get "pushed" from behind.

One thing I found interesting is that if I flip up the face shield on my 3/4 HJC helmet at speed; the buffeting pretty much goes away.

Coinincentally I have been planning to purchase another 3/4 helmet from Bell, that has a peak installed as well. I am hoping that the peak will negate the buffeting that the visor does, when in the up position. It will be an interesting test.
I have noticed the very same thing on occasion...I have the Baggershield, adjusted to the full height, and have very little wind noise and hardly any buffeting...I do notice more air movement unless I ride with my open face HJC 3/4 helmet or open the face shield on my Shoei 3/4....I have never felt any air pushing me forward, but I am only 5' 8" and seem to find myself in a nice quiet air pocket when riding at freeway speeds.....If I keep the face shield closed I also get a lot more "drone" from the Cobra pipes...which I have become used too....

ths61
01-10-2016, 02:04 PM
The Madstad windshield system resolved that for me.

+1 on the Madstad, solved it for me and my passenger.

waynerock66
01-10-2016, 02:25 PM
You may want to check if the windshield has any adjustment slots and if so if it can be moved up any. Sometimes an inch or so can make a big difference in the amount of air getting to you.

Stevvvo
01-10-2016, 02:31 PM
+2 on the Madstad....you can adjust.....tweek.....purchase 2 more windshields if you want. But eventually you will throw your hands in the air....Jump on the MadStad train and you will not be disappointed.

lloydmoore1
01-10-2016, 02:38 PM
I had the same windshield with the same problem. The Madstad fixed it 100%.

DaWadd
01-10-2016, 03:34 PM
If the Honda shield has a vent, opening it up will mostly eliminate the vacuum. #1 on the Madstad though.

rdeady
01-10-2016, 05:27 PM
If the Honda shield has a vent, opening it up will mostly eliminate the vacuum. #1 on the Madstad though.

It does have the vent and i have played with every position .Noticed subtle changes but no position solved it. Sounds like i need to look hard at that madstad

rdeady
01-10-2016, 05:49 PM
I also have a 2007 Harley fatboy with a detachable windshield. I couldn't even use the shield unless i wanted my brain shook loose. I finally purchased a set of fangs which mount on the front fork(fork lowers) Wow made a big difference and i can now use the shield and it all works acceptably(for a fatboy) Bought this Goldwing so I really don't need the windshield on the fatboy nor the lowers as the Harley will now be for short runs only. With this new F6B I am hoping for a perfect little pocket of still air and a nice comfortable riding position . (next post will be driver backrest related). Got it a few weeks ago and rode about 420 miles so far here in NJ. I have to say that I love this Honda!!!!

DMAGOLDRDR
01-10-2016, 07:15 PM
We are about 100 miles apart, I'm in Danbury CT
But if you want I have a few windshields you can try. One is a stock Goldwing shield drilled for a F6B, or a V-Stream also drilled for the F6B.
I even have a Stock seat with a Utopia Backrest mounted. All you can try or buy.

Now all that being said, I have all those two plus a Honda Tall shield for sale because I ended up with a Madstad.. :)

motozeke
01-10-2016, 08:59 PM
+1 on the Madstad, solved it for me and my passenger.

You could fuss about with this or that thing or other, or just get a Madstad and be done with it. They're that good.

SierraKen
01-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Purchased a black 2013 F6B a few weeks ago. As a matter of fact it is the one in the forum classifieds. Fellow that sold it to me was indeed a pleasure to work with and we had a real smooth transaction !!! It has the Vance and Hines Monster squared pipes which sound sweet .I absolutely love them. It also came with a few other accessories. One of them is the tall Honda windshield (16.5 inches)with a vent. I am 5'10" and I look over the shield which may come up to my nose? Ok,now to the point: The first time I took the bike for a ride i was very surprised that it felt like someone was behind me pushing me forward !!!! my first thought was "you have got to be kidding me" . I purchased this bike hoping to be in a pocket of non turbulence at all speeds. So I installed the baker hand wings but they didn't really seem to help much as I am still getting pushed forward(vacuum effect?). I am also experiencing buffeting around the head. I do wear a full face so there is a lot of helmet up there. Its mostly at speeds over 70. Now its not bothersome for short rides but I really don't think I could enjoy a ride at sustained speeds over 70. If I lean forward about 6" and down about 6" so i am looking through the windshield and I'm closer to the shield I find its relatively calm. I know there are lots of posts about windshields out there and that I probably need to switch it for another. But If any have thoughts or first hand experience on how to lick this problem please let me know. Thanks Russ

Consider a Windbender screen. I had one on my full Wing and have one now on my F6B. It's fully adjustable and produces still air in front of me with no buffeting up to at least 100 mph on the F6b and higher on the full Wing. High quality, superb service from the supplier. IMHO there is not a better shield. I haven't tried all but several on both the bikes. The Windbender stands above all I've tried (baggarshield, OEM tall, OEM short and Clearview). Good luck in your search.

Old Ryder
01-11-2016, 07:16 AM
You really don't know buffeting until you have ridden a Victory Cross Country. I never noticed it being that bad on the B, but then again I went from OEM to Klockwerks to Bagger shield and finally to Madstad. Add another guy happy with the Madstad. I hear the Wind Bended is pretty much the same thing.

willtill
01-11-2016, 07:28 AM
You really don't know buffeting until you have ridden a Victory Cross Country. I never noticed it being that bad on the B, but then again I went from OEM to Klockwerks to Bagger shield and finally to Madstad. Add another guy happy with the Madstad. I hear the Wind Bended is pretty much the same thing.

How do you manage a heavy downpour of rain with the Madstad; specifically in the area where the windstream is cutting below the windshield when you have it angled?

rdeady
01-11-2016, 07:58 AM
I see that the madstad has 3 sizes offered for the F6B. They have a chart which suggests that at 5'10" I would fall under the smallest offering of 11" ? Seems awful small ! They also offer a 13" and a 15". Any thoughts on sizes? I would very unhappy if i bought a 11" and it just wasn't big enough to do the job If the 13 or 15" isnt going to block my view set at a low lvl why not get one of those?

2015F6B
01-11-2016, 08:18 AM

+1 on the above quote. Personally don't know if I could live with the appearance or bracketry of the Madstad. The OEM tall shield is fine for me.

willtill
01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
+1 on the above quote. Personally don't know if I could live with the appearance or bracketry of the Madstad. The OEM tall shield is fine for me.

Same here. I did have a Madstadt mounted on my DL650 Vstrom a long time ago... but that was OK since it was an ugly motorcycle anyway.

The F6B is much more graceful and sleeker looking.

rdeady
01-11-2016, 10:15 AM
AH, Looks are important also! Will check out more pics. Whats nice is Madstad actually has a great return policy and if the windshield didn't work up to my expectations or just looked to crazy for me to put up with they will take it back. Winter is on us although i'm still riding as I like this bike that much and its cold weather friendly as far as i am concerned. Plenty of time to think on this windshield problem. I do appreciate all the input!!!

Old Ryder
01-11-2016, 04:09 PM
How do you manage a heavy downpour of rain with the Madstad; specifically in the area where the windstream is cutting below the windshield when you have it angled?

Never relly thought it was that bad. Only been caught in one really bad downpour and I was caught at a light so there was really nothing I could do. After getting up to speed I didn't notice it being that bad, but I was already soaked so it really didn't matter.

BTW---Just my opinion, but I don't think the Madstad looks as bad as a tall windshield. :stirthepot:

DMAGOLDRDR
01-11-2016, 05:11 PM
I haven't been in heavy rain, but in light rain at highway speeds with the 11" Madstad I just changed the angle to a more straight up position and it was just fine.

Also I like the look of the 11" dark Madstad against the Red Fairing.

Old Ryder
01-12-2016, 07:09 AM
Also I like the look of the 11" dark Madstad against the Red Fairing.

Some of us like it a little too much, maybe.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7173-More-fun-with-the-paint-and-PlastiDip-Red-bikes-only

Fla_rider
01-13-2016, 09:56 AM
It does have the vent and i have played with every position .Noticed subtle changes but no position solved it. Sounds like i need to look hard at that madstad

I have the Clearview with the recurve and vent, but before you drop serious coin into another screen or seat have you looked into Baker Wings?

1951vbs
01-13-2016, 09:12 PM

Have you tried it with the stock screen? I get no push, no buffeting, just clean air on my full face helmet. Not sure why so many have problems with the stock screen. I did change mine for a 1/2" shorter than stock dark tint Cee Bailey's for looks but 53,000 miles in all kinds of weather, hot, cold, rain, 1000+ mile days...all good! Plus it looks kick ass.

willtill
01-13-2016, 09:38 PM
Have you tried it with the stock screen? I get no push, no buffeting, just clean air on my full face helmet. Not sure why so many have problems with the stock screen. I did change mine for a 1/2" shorter than stock dark tint Cee Bailey's for looks but 53,000 miles in all kinds of weather, hot, cold, rain, 1000+ mile days...all good! Plus it looks kick ass.

The stock screen works most excellent for good; uninterrupted airflow around the shoulders/helmet area. It just gets to be uncomfortable in cooler weather.

I haven't thrown away my stock screen; since I fully intend to utilize it during the summer. :yes:

Old Ryder
01-14-2016, 07:14 AM
The ONLY problem I have with the stock screen is that it makes the radio/MP3 player absolutely useless unless you ride below 45 mph all the time.

Stevvvo
01-14-2016, 07:48 AM
To answer your question, I am 5'10" with 32 inseam and I have the 11" shield. Perfect adjustments for my height. Some people raise or lower depending on weather conditions. I just change the angle of the shield. Don't have to raise or lower it once you get it in the sweet spot you prefer. As far as rain goes.....nothing comes through the area between the two shields. Does it fall on you from the sky? Yes....Kinda hard to dodge rain drops. Good luck on your decision.

Here are a couple pic's with the 11 inch shield. Don't mind the dust. Sitting until spring....

rdeady
01-14-2016, 03:55 PM
i will try the stock screen also . Should definitely be good for the summer.

ths61
01-14-2016, 04:07 PM

It's called a rain suit. I got caught in a white-out downpour in East Texas but had dawned my rain gear beforehand. As a result of the downpour, there were vehicles in the ditches during the middle of summer. The traffic speed slows down so you are going to get wet no matter what shield you have.

Also had interment downpours in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee on the same trip. Same solution, good rain gear.

1951vbs
01-14-2016, 04:58 PM
The ONLY problem I have with the stock screen is that it makes the radio/MP3 player absolutely useless unless you ride below 45 mph all the time.

I 100% agree with you but because I always wear a full-face helmet I use ear buds that plug into the intercom harness. Decent sound at any speed.

shooter
01-14-2016, 05:02 PM
It's called a rain suit. I got caught in a white-out downpour in East Texas but had dawned my rain gear beforehand. As a result of the downpour, there were vehicles in the ditches during the middle of summer. The traffic speed slows down so you are going to get wet no matter what shield you have.

Also had interment downpours in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee on the same trip. Same solution, good rain gear.

You don't see three rains a year. I say you're not qualified to post in this thread.:poke: Oh sorry , you was out of state.:icon_doh:

BobR
01-14-2016, 06:18 PM
I have a Madstad and love it. I am 6' but have a very tall torso which makes me more like 6'5" sitting. When we get a Florida Gator Gusher I raise the windshield and tilt it all of the way forward. It pretty much completely blocks the wind. In Florida it is nice to be able to lower the windshield in hot weather to let some air over the windshield.