PDA

View Full Version : Heated Grips (do you like)

stevenolts
01-14-2016, 11:52 AM
I just rode 45 miles to work this morning in 34 degree weather (it will be 54 on the way home / and I needed to ride bad).
I was not cold accept for my hands / I have good leather pants, jacket, boots and TourMaster heated jacket liner.

I used my lighter goat skin perforated gloves because they feel good on the grips (much better control). I have heavy warmer gloves but if the heated grips work then I would really like to use them with my lighter better feeling gloves.

I will be adding the Helibars in the spring if that affects the choice of heated grips. Do I need to buy the expensive Honda OEM heated grips?

Please let me know your experiences and what you think.

I guess since I have not spent any money on the bike in a month or so I feel the need again. After all she is my baby, I love her and nothing is too good for her.
Steve

Steve 0080
01-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Never had them before, but not sure I would buy another bike w/o them....

stroguy
01-14-2016, 12:31 PM
They are great. I have the Baker Hand Wings II and heated grips with grip puppies. I have been wearing my summer gloves all season. The closed Baker Wings make a huge difference and then the heated grips allow me to wear lighter gloves. But I have found that I only use the heaters in high or off. Never seen the need to go down in heat.

Try the BHW's.

FlyinF
01-14-2016, 01:03 PM
I have heated grips on my FJR, they are great for keeping your palms warm but the outside of your hands still get cold. For this reason I use heated gloves (my pair are at least 15 yrs old). With heated gloves you can use them on any bike and bikes you may buy in the future. I would not pay extra for heated grips. The cord for heated gloves can sometimes be a hassle but being in south central Texas I rarely need them anyway.

DMAGOLDRDR
01-14-2016, 01:07 PM
The Heated Grips are definitely worth the cost.
Here in Connecticut I ride all year as long as the roads are clear. I have Heated Gloves AND I installed the OEM Heated Grips.
In cooler temps when I don't need my heavy Heated Gloves the grips do a great job. In fact I rode to Daytona last October and was sure glad to have them as I didn't bring my heave Heated Gloves.
Also,, in my opinion the OEM Honda Grips are just plain worth it. If I am going to install anything that I need to depend on, then I am willing to spend a few extra $$ and go OEM.

I spent most of my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

BIGLRY
01-14-2016, 01:27 PM
I run HeliBars and the OEM heated grips on my F6B with Iso grips over it all and they work fine, just a tad longer to get hot and they do get real warm. Here in Calif. I don't need them very often, but on them cold morning rides or late night rides home they are a blessing IMO and wonder why I never had them before on any of my steel steeds.:icon_biggrin:

opas ride
01-14-2016, 01:37 PM
Yes I have them but have only used them once...Don't work as good through the larger Kury grips but I don't really care..... Okay for those who ride in colder weather I suppose....

98valk
01-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Heated grips and Baker Air Wings are a great combo (Hot Wings!! :icon_lol:). The nice thing about heated grips vs heated gloves, is that you always have them with you. Even on a surprise cool evening in the summer, spring, fall, you can turn on the heat.

I have Helibars and ISO grips. I have super heated grips (block heaters). They do take longer to migrate the heat through the ISO grips. It is significantly longer on a short trip. Not a problem on a longer trip.

ths61
01-14-2016, 01:47 PM
They work great and on the B, they have multiple heat settings which is a plus. Much nicer than the last bike's heated grips.

3Chief
01-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Being temporarily here in SoCal I haven't had much use for them yet, however its nice to have the option.

Texas TC
01-14-2016, 04:53 PM
They are great. I have the Baker Hand Wings II and heated grips with grip puppies. I have been wearing my summer gloves all season. The closed Baker Wings make a huge difference and then the heated grips allow me to wear lighter gloves. But I have found that I only use the heaters in high or off. Never seen the need to go down in heat.

Try the BHW's.

I also like the heated grips with grip puppies and Baker Wings. Never have to wear heavy gloves.

wjduke
01-14-2016, 06:59 PM
I feel like the southern guys offering opinions on heated grips and gear is kind of like me telling you what suntan lotion to use! :stirthepot:

Sorry, kind of funny to me...:icon_biggrin:

tinkerman
01-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Thumbs up on the heated grips......here in NE Canada they are a must have item to help extend the riding season.

tink

Amipro
01-14-2016, 07:53 PM
Love my heated grips. Yes, on the colder days the backs of my hands get cold if I wear my summer gloves, but I don't have hand wings. Overall I feel warmer when my hands are not a block of ice.
Definitely worth it to have them.

I've even been known to turn them on one of the lower settings in the summer. It increases blood flow in my hands which helps with my mild carpal tunnel syndrome.:yes:

Necanefan
01-14-2016, 08:20 PM
I'll never have another bike without heated grips. I've yet to install them on the F6B, but I have the OEM grips in the garage waiting for to be installed. I had them on my last two bikes and quickly got spoiled.

pdxstriper
01-15-2016, 12:03 AM
Never had them before, but not sure I would buy another bike w/o them....

If I buy a bike, I order heated grips. If they are not available, or it's a used bike, then I add them aftermarket. They cost like $60. I'll never do without them. I hear some riders complain about how cold their hands are and I just don't get it.

Fla_rider
01-15-2016, 08:59 AM
I also like the heated grips with grip puppies and Baker Wings. Never have to wear heavy gloves.

+1 Use them a lot in our winter. Some mornings get in to the upper 30's and lower 40's.

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-15-2016, 10:30 AM
They can extend your riding season if your warm and are great for un expected weather changes.

You bet.

Bob Penn
01-15-2016, 10:32 AM
I installed heated grips on my last bike and yes you can buy the components on line for less than $60 but I found the back of my hands still got cold. My solution was to buy a pair of electric gloves that plug into the cigar lighter socket. Another advantage is I can use them in my truck or with the batteries afield while hunting.
Now I ride with nice warm if not hot hands depending on my setting. The only problem is my hands are comfortable but my crotch is cold. NO! I'm not putting electric down there!!!:nono:

98valk
01-15-2016, 11:30 AM
I feel like the southern guys offering opinions on heated grips and gear is kind of like me telling you what suntan lotion to use! :stirthepot:

Sorry, kind of funny to me...:icon_biggrin:

It was 30 degrees when I rode home last night. The heated grips and baker wings did the job.

There is not that much difference in the low temps that we all ride in. The difference is we don't put our bikes into hibernation, we ride all winter. 'gw-smiley'

wjduke
01-15-2016, 11:40 AM
It was 30 degrees when I rode home last night. The heated grips and baker wings did the job.

There is not that much difference in the low temps that we all ride in. The difference is we don't put our bikes into hibernation, we ride all winter. 'gw-smiley'

The temps don't get us either...it's the sand and salt. A couple of treatments on the roads and it's over...unless you're brave or dumb, and I vote for the latter. We wait...then ride our tails off.

stevenolts
01-15-2016, 11:43 AM
It was only supposed to get to 54 degrees / but it was 64 yesterday afternoon in St Louis. So it was definitely worth the ride in at 34 degrees.
Steve

seadog
01-15-2016, 04:06 PM
We had a trial by fire for the heated grips, a very good field test, we road in the rain for the better part of the day at 45 degrees, the heated grips were the only thing keeping my hands working the controls, my gloves were soaked thru and those temps at 60 miles per hour would have put me out of action with the hands being not able to work.

F6B1911
01-15-2016, 04:52 PM
We had a trial by fire for the heated grips, a very good field test, we road in the rain for the better part of the day at 45 degrees, the heated grips were the only thing keeping my hands working the controls, my gloves were soaked thru and those temps at 60 miles per hour would have put me out of action with the hands being not able to work.

+1 on the heated grips, please note that field test also included high winds in addition to the cold and non-stop rain.

YikesCops
01-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Where is the best place to buy the OEM heated grips?

Nero
01-15-2016, 06:51 PM
I first had them on my k1200 GT, pretty spoiled now. Heated grips allow for thinner gloves, now if I could just keep my toes warm...

Necanefan
01-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Where is the best place to buy the OEM heated grips?

I found that the dealer where I bought my F6B gave me as good a deal as I could find on the OEM grips. I cannot recall the amount, but they gave me a percentage off the order, which put their price below what I could find online.

F6B1911
01-16-2016, 05:08 AM
I found that the dealer where I bought my F6B gave me as good a deal as I could find on the OEM grips. I cannot recall the amount, but they gave me a percentage off the order, which put their price below what I could find online.

I got mine off of eBay, quite a bit cheaper than my local dealer was willing to sell them.

Kdarmy
01-16-2016, 12:57 PM
Wish I could offer my opinion on how well they worked...But I wouldn't know.

As it has finally cooled down here in Florida, there has been some mornings I would have like to use mine...But I don't even have my bike right now as its back at the Dealer for the second time because the grip heaters don't work (2015 bike bought new in July).

1st time they had it for a week...
Driver probably wasn't out of the neighborhood before I took it for a test ride....They fixed nothing!

So now, waiting for my bike again. This time I will have them verify on phone before it leaves the dealer that it is indeed fixed...Will also have the driver who delivers the bike wait as I take it on a test ride.

The grip issue is just one of a few problems I've had since I bought my bike, and all I can say is that I have NOT been impressed with Honda warranty repair service. The only thing they seemed able to do OK so far was the brake recall repair.

rdeady
01-16-2016, 05:46 PM
The heated grips work great !!! I have the 2013 with the heat and i have been using them since i got the bike about a month ago. I also have heated gloves which are unbelievable ,they will keep your hands like toast! I have used the gloves many times with my 07 fatboy. Going to disconnect the piece off the battery and connect on the F6B so i can use them with the Honda. Don't need them on the harley as it has lost its job for any cool weather riding.

3Chief
01-16-2016, 10:08 PM
lol, I have heated gloves too and they are so nice you almost never need to actually turn'm on...between those and the g
heated grips on the B my hands will be toasty warm in nearly any condition I'm likely to find myself.

billsim
01-16-2016, 10:17 PM
I have a 2013 F6B base model that I added OEM heated grips to.
The grips work well till you get down into the low 30's, then the backs of your hands get cold pretty fast.
I bought some heated gloves at my dealer that use rechargeable batteries. They allow me to ride without cold hands.
Cost was $179.95 before 10% discount for buying the bike there.

Spiff215
04-03-2016, 11:49 AM
My F6b deluxe is the only bike w/heated grips that I've owned. I will not go back.

pilotguy299
04-03-2016, 01:59 PM
I've only had my F6B-D for about a month, and use them pretty much every time I ride. Wish I had heated grips on previous bikes.

Now for a heated seat... :)

xgringo
04-03-2016, 09:43 PM
I have oem heated grips on my f6b and I consider them about equal to Hot Hands hand warmers. I've been ok down into the twenties with Hot Hands in the gloves linked below. If you only use the Hot Hands for a short time then put them in a small zip lock sandwich bag and squeeze out all the air and they will keep a long time til the next use.

http://www.compacc.com/p/sliders-cold-pro-kevlar-armored-gloves

On my prior bike I was riding home with a rain system and my Gerbing heated gloves would last almost half the day before soaking through and then I'd switch to the above gloves from Competition Accessories with the Hot Hands and it was ok. They also soaked through like the Gerbings so each night I pulled out all the liners and put the gloves on the motel heater and I was good the next morning.

When you take your hand off the heated grip no heat. With the Hot Hands you can take your hand off the grips and still get heat. You have to shake your hand every now and then to get oxygen into the glove for them to work. Althouth I've never tried it, Hot Hands on the back of your hand and heated grips should be the cat's meow if it gets real cold.

I always keep Hot Hands in my bags.

BadDawg
04-04-2016, 12:29 PM
I made fun of the idea. After all gloves are suppose to insulate your hands from external temps which seems they would keep the heat out. Oh no, I love mine, Even in 30 degree weather I've had my then gloves and been perfectly comfortable. I love the heated grips.

moosedog
04-04-2016, 06:33 PM
I just rode 45 miles to work this morning in 34 degree weather (it will be 54 on the way home / and I needed to ride bad).
I was not cold accept for my hands / I have good leather pants, jacket, boots and TourMaster heated jacket liner.

I used my lighter goat skin perforated gloves because they feel good on the grips (much better control). I have heavy warmer gloves but if the heated grips work then I would really like to use them with my lighter better feeling gloves.

I will be adding the Helibars in the spring if that affects the choice of heated grips. Do I need to buy the expensive Honda OEM heated grips?

Please let me know your experiences and what you think.

I guess since I have not spent any money on the bike in a month or so I feel the need again. After all she is my baby, I love her and nothing is too good for her.
Steve

Do I like heated grips? Is a frogs ass water tight? My 4th bike with them and it is a requirement for me. Add them and enjoy.

Brewdog
04-04-2016, 07:36 PM
I have heated grips on both my bikes. Sptried them once on my HD. They came on both bikes as part of an overall upgrade. I wouldn't pay extra to get them. Just my 2 cents.

53driver
04-04-2016, 08:01 PM
I find that the Baker Wings do more to keep the cold off the gloves.
The heated grips are nice, and they do take the edge off on those 20 degree mornings.
But now in Florida, I'm hard pressed to find a 20 degree morning.....

Rudy
04-04-2016, 08:47 PM
I used to think heated grips were just another gimmick, wow was I wrong! I don't think I will own another bike without them.:yes:

Geronimo
04-07-2016, 08:27 PM
So oem for the f6b or some Oxfords?, a friend loves them 250 vs 90 bucks here.

Geronimo
04-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Fyi, I ride into the 20's at highway speed up to 30 minutes without so far and it doesnt get to fun lol.

willmusac
04-13-2016, 01:05 PM
I never thought I would like heated grips, but they are great on cool mornings. My hands were always the first thing to get cold.

Probably the best access. for the deluxe.

In my opinion.

seadog
04-13-2016, 01:13 PM
Myself and F6b1911 rode all day in the rain at 45 degrees and the gloves were soaked and if it wasn't for the heated grips on my deluxe my hands would have been froze. I would turn them on and heat the gloves up and turn them off till I needed them again, I couldn't say enough nice things about heated grips after that experience. Never had them before this bike but will never be without them again!

Alberta Beagle
04-13-2016, 01:22 PM
I love my heated grips. I have arthritic hands and they really help keep them somewhat pain free. I even use them is summer on long rides to assist with the pain.

Beagle

Delta
04-13-2016, 05:07 PM
My first experience with heated grips was 3 years ago. I used to think they were a needless accessory. Boy was I wrong. From that moment on I decided, like many of you, that I would never be without them again. My hands used to cramp up on the Harleys. Heated grips solved that. I thought the heated seat was a bit overkill though.

Az Wingrider
04-14-2016, 09:38 AM
I like most of the responders here am very fond of the heated grips. They make cold weather riding much more tolerable. I very seldom use my heated gloves. If my palms are warm it seems to make my hands comfortable even in pretty cold weather

F6BLK
04-14-2016, 10:50 AM
YES!! Also heated shirt.. heated seat makes those cold AM rides alot better!I use unlined leather gloves and HI temp on the stock grip is HOT!