PDA

View Full Version : GPS vs. Cell Phone

scoplin
01-17-2016, 08:15 PM
Just curious, it appears that most are using a GPS for navigation instead of their cell phones. Is this because of screen size and weather durability?

shooter
01-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Some of us live and ride in areas where cell reception is sketchy. However GPS is satellite based instead of tower based. GPS is almost always on.

nvmyf6
01-17-2016, 09:47 PM
I use a Cell phone for navigation. It is so easy to use. I just tell it to navigate to some place and I gets me there, and tells me of any road construction.

Last year, I used my phone to navigate to South Dakota and play my music. I have a Note 4.

I did have an issue on my way back home. The phone displayed a message that it was over heated and needed to be turned off.

The battery could not change fast enough while in use. I had my screen on, and the phone shut down. I had to let it charge for awhile before I could turn it back on. I than used it with the screen off.

I have thought about getting a GPS. I do like the one that also has xm radio. I just think the screen size is a bit small. And I mostly just use the music from my USB thumb drive.

I'm still undecided.

Necanefan
01-17-2016, 09:53 PM
On short trips, I just use my cell phone. On longer trips, I use a cheap Garmin that I've had for years. It's a "car" version, so it's not waterproof. But, after 7-8 years of use and an investment of about $60, it's worth the risk.

leroysch
01-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Just curious, it appears that most are using a GPS for navigation instead of their cell phones. Is this because of screen size and weather durability?

...along with age and intransigence!

pdxstriper
01-17-2016, 11:29 PM
The difference is the underlying technology. GPS devices contain the maps on-device, and therefore do not require Internet/cellular access to download current maps. That is their advantage. The more expensive units provide Bluetooth to headsets, hi-Res all weather displays, and are waterproof. These are $400-$800 units however.

Cell phones provide free map apps for giant firms like Google and Apple that are vastly superior to those maps provided by the dedicated GPS device providers. They also provide features like Bluetooth directions, ties to reviews, etc. for free that are only available on high end dedicated GPS devices. The downside to smartphone-based navigation is that it fails flat when the rider is out of cellular data range. Note that there are some smartphone applications that store maps locally, these apps are in their infancy.

My suggestion: one of each. Get a cost effective GPS unit. Buy a cell phone mount. Get power to each and use the one that fits your needs at the time. That's what I've done.

3Chief
01-18-2016, 01:34 AM
The difference is the underlying technology. GPS devices contain the maps on-device, and therefore do not require Internet/cellular access to download current maps. That is their advantage. The more expensive units provide Bluetooth to headsets, hi-Res all weather displays, and are waterproof. These are $400-$800 units however.

Cell phones provide free map apps for giant firms like Google and Apple that are vastly superior to those maps provided by the dedicated GPS device providers. They also provide features like Bluetooth directions, ties to reviews, etc. for free that are only available on high end dedicated GPS devices. The downside to smartphone-based navigation is that it fails flat when the rider is out of cellular data range. Note that there are some smartphone applications that store maps locally, these apps are in their infancy.

My suggestion: one of each. Get a cost effective GPS unit. Buy a cell phone mount. Get power to each and use the one that fits your needs at the time. That's what I've done.

Ditto that, they both have their place. However as both have raised my blood pressure on numerous occasions I also carry a map...It doesn't care about weather, cell service, battery life or much of anything. A basic laminated map can be bought at most gas stations for under $10. It's also easier to use when free-styling as you can see the whole map at once. MadMaps are also good as they are meant for us riders and have some routes already mapped out with interesting stops to explore.

GaTeach
01-18-2016, 09:56 AM
I had a GPS and mount on my VStar but when I hooked up with Sweet Georgia, I didn't want to defile her good looks with that ugly-ass GPS. Moral of the story: I'm lost about 90% of the time now. And that's ok with me.

Steve 0080
01-18-2016, 11:53 AM
I had a GPS and mount on my VStar but when I hooked up with Sweet Georgia, I didn't want to defile her good looks with that ugly-ass GPS. Moral of the story: I'm lost about 90% of the time now. And that's ok with me.

+1...never lost if I still have fuel !!!!! For me that is almost the joy of riding..." where does this rode go????"

Old Ryder
01-19-2016, 08:53 AM
+1...never lost if I still have fuel !!!!! For me that is almost the joy of riding..." where does this rode go????"

That has been my motto for years and it drives my wife crazy---- As long as I have gas and time, I am not lost, just looking and enjoying the view!

Back to the question, I use both. I am now doing some home inspections and it requires some searching. My up to date Garmin will not find everything, but Apple maps and Google Maps and Wase will get them every time. It is very hard on the phone battery, though as was mentioned.

jm21ddd15
01-19-2016, 09:25 AM
+1 I'm with You, Teach. I don't want or need a GPS on my 6. A great part of the ride is adventure. Who wants some machine telling us where to turn, or do a U turn, etc. I can read a map if I need to get technical. Getting lost is totally fun. Seeing a road you've never been on, and asking yourself, "I wonder where that goes", and then taking the road, is my mindset each time I get on the road. And yes, I do get mixed up at times, but who cares? I still seem to get to my final destination. I suppose if I did much big city driving, it would be helpful, but I live in a rural area, and do my best to avoid the cities.

Old Ryder
01-19-2016, 10:45 AM
+1 I'm with You, Teach. I don't want or need a GPS on my 6. A great part of the ride is adventure. Who wants some machine telling us where to turn, or do a U turn, etc. I can read a map if I need to get technical. Getting lost is totally fun. Seeing a road you've never been on, and asking yourself, "I wonder where that goes", and then taking the road, is my mindset each time I get on the road. And yes, I do get mixed up at times, but who cares? I still seem to get to my final destination. I suppose if I did much big city driving, it would be helpful, but I live in a rural area, and do my best to avoid the cities.

Like em or not, they can be very useful when necessary. Allow me to share a true story about me and 5 buddies on a tour in Southern Va a few years ago---I think it was 2010 or about that time period. They all rode Harleys and took pride in giving me grief about my GPS---true He Man types that love to callyou a sissy if you wear more than a half helmet. We stopped for gas after riding about 7 hours and the store where we stopped for gas was in the sticks on some forgotten highway and the electricity was off. We asked why and were told that storms had come through the night before. We had noticed trees down and debris while riding but didn't think much about it. While we were talking the power came back on and we were able to fuel up. His TV came on while we were paying and told us that another round of life threatening storms were on the way and after checking all of our weather radar apps, we determined we had about 30 minutes to take cover and find a motel as it was after 6 PM already. To this day, I enjoy reminding them that it was my ZUMO 450 that found us a motel----literally in the middle of nowhere and we were not inside more than 10 minutes when the storms came. The next day while eating breakfast the news reported a state of emergency was declared by the governor and that 8 people had died as a result of the storms within 70 miles of where we were. No map on the planet would have found this Mom and Pop place within 10 miles of where we were---in fact it was the only place---next closest was Farmville, Va over 30 miles away and we would have never made it.

A GPS is a lot like a gun--you don't need it until you need it and then when you need it, you need it really bad. :poke:

Hornblower
01-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Since I started using Waze on my smartphone, I find the Zumo less and less necessary. I still use both devices depending on what I need to do. Like a few others, I do enjoy getting lost out in the "boonies" and then just telling my Zumo, "Take me home". And, as someone else mentioned, the Zumo is great for finding other attractions in the area.

Hdnvn
01-23-2016, 07:49 PM
If you lead trips, GPS is nearly a must. Larger screen and the ability to plan your route. Many times you will receive the wrath of a pack mentality should you find your self heading for a dead end or stumble across gravel rather than asphalt. I tried using my iPhone as a GPS tool on a trip and found that the screen was just undersized enough to warn me of the next turn late enough to throw everyone behind me into hard braking. It was after THAT ride I settled on a Zumo 660. Love the feel of confidence with others behind me, it's one less thing to worry about

Fla_rider
01-23-2016, 10:55 PM
If you lead trips, GPS is nearly a must. Larger screen and the ability to plan your route. Many times you will receive the wrath of a pack mentality should you find your self heading for a dead end or stumble across gravel rather than asphalt. I tried using my iPhone as a GPS tool on a trip and found that the screen was just undersized enough to warn me of the next turn late enough to throw everyone behind me into hard breaking. It was after THAT ride I settled on a Zumo 660. Love the feel of confidence with others behind me, it's one less thing to worry about

Funny Steve this reminds me of someone?:yikes:

scoplin
01-23-2016, 11:08 PM
Great feedback and some points I hadn't considered.

Thanks

GaTeach
01-24-2016, 10:40 AM
If you lead trips, GPS is nearly a must. Larger screen and the ability to plan your route. Many times you will receive the wrath of a pack mentality should you find your self heading for a dead end or stumble across gravel rather than asphalt. I tried using my iPhone as a GPS tool on a trip and found that the screen was just undersized enough to warn me of the next turn late enough to throw everyone behind me into hard braking. It was after THAT ride I settled on a Zumo 660. Love the feel of confidence with others behind me, it's one less thing to worry about

Oh! Absolutely!

This fall I led a couple of GA PGR up to NC to a mission for a friend's uncle. We were sitting at a stoplight and the guy behind me said, "Hey Teach, I think we are supposed to turn left here." I said, "Hey! I'm the one f***** this chicken! I got this!" At the next stoplight, I busted out laughing and turned around to look at him. "Uhhhhh, I think we were supposed to turn left at the last stop light." He said, "No Teach, you keep doing what you're doing. I'm just back here holding the legs for you."

shooter
01-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Thats funny Teach. I rarely read anything that makes me laugh out loud. This did. Have a good day.