PDA

View Full Version : BrakeAway Cruise Control

cpt_go
01-18-2016, 05:52 PM
Hello,
I have a 2013 Honda F6B Standard model(no heated grips) but I do have Kuryakyn ISO grips and Kuryakyn wide levers installed. I was told that the BreakAway Model #6CP03 will only work with stock grips and levers. Is this true and has anyone tried this install.
Thanks

Jimmytee
01-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Hello,
I have a 2013 Honda F6B Standard model(no heated grips) but I do have Kuryakyn ISO grips and Kuryakyn wide levers installed. I was told that the BreakAway Model #6CP03 will only work with stock grips and levers. Is this true and has anyone tried this install.
Thanks
I've got one installed on my 2000 Valkyrie with ISO grips. It will work. Just have to work the part past the rubber grip things. Some soapy water solution will help with this. I think there is a video showing this do e somewhere.

cpt_go
01-18-2016, 07:27 PM
Thank you very much Jimmytee,
I appreciate you input, I called BrakAway today and the woman that answered said the #6CP03 part for the F6B the inside diameter is too small to fit the Iso grip and that this model is one of the few that they make that attached to the brake lever pivot, I asked if that was going to change with the new model they were coming out with soon and she said no. I tried to press her for more info but couldn't get any more specifics either she just didn't know or didn't want to say. I saw the video on youtube and Cruiser Customizing that shows the install with Iso Grips but it was different bike and different model # BrakeAway. I was hoping someone on here had experience with the same model for the F6 with the Iso Grips and wide levers. I may just have to go for it and see for myself if I can make it work.
Thanks again

I've got one installed on my 2000 Valkyrie with ISO grips. It will work. Just have to work the part past the rubber grip things. Some soapy water solution will help with this. I think there is a video showing this do e somewhere.

Jimmytee
01-18-2016, 11:23 PM
Thank you very much Jimmytee,
I appreciate you input, I called BrakAway today and the woman that answered said the #6CP03 part for the F6B the inside diameter is too small to fit the Iso grip and that this model is one of the few that they make that attached to the brake lever pivot, I asked if that was going to change with the new model they were coming out with soon and she said no. I tried to press her for more info but couldn't get any more specifics either she just didn't know or didn't want to say. I saw the video on youtube and Cruiser Customizing that shows the install with Iso Grips but it was different bike and different model # BrakeAway. I was hoping someone on here had experience with the same model for the F6 with the Iso Grips and wide levers. I may just have to go for it and see for myself if I can make it work.
Thanks again
I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. The bars are the same diameter as the ones on the Valkyrie,and the ISO grips I have on my Valkyrie are the same as the ones on my F6B. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I just have not gotten around to buying it for the F6B yet. My wife picked up one of the Aluminum go cruises from a local dealer as sort of a stocking stuffer over Christmas. Bless her heart. I've tried it out and it's a little clumsy as compared to the brake away. I have the throttle boss throttle assist on my Iso Grips so I really have not felt too motivated to purchase the Brake Away. Partially, as well, I was kind of holding out because I thought I might consider the purchase of an electronic cruise control. But for same reason have not bit the bullet on that either. Really most of my riding is two lane twisties.

cpt_go
01-19-2016, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. The bars are the same diameter as the ones on the Valkyrie,and the ISO grips I have on my Valkyrie are the same as the ones on my F6B. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I just have not gotten around to buying it for the F6B yet. My wife picked up one of the Aluminum go cruises from a local dealer as sort of a stocking stuffer over Christmas. Bless her heart. I've tried it out and it's a little clumsy as compared to the brake away. I have the throttle boss throttle assist on my Iso Grips so I really have not felt too motivated to purchase the Brake Away. Partially, as well, I was kind of holding out because I thought I might consider the purchase of an electronic cruise control. But for same reason have not bit the bullet on that either. Really most of my riding is two lane twisties.

Thanks again Jimmytee,
Right now I think my next choice is to buy the BrakeAway Cruise and see if I can make it work with my Kuryakyn Iso Grips and wide levers. Just waiting for it to warm up here so I can purchase, install and try it out within the 14 day return period incase it doesn't work. BrakeAway claims only the #5CP02 and 7CP01 models will work with Kury Grips the F6 calls for model #6CP03. But they also claim they won't work with heated grips but I've seen some posts where different riders have made them work, it maybe a liability thing.

Bob Penn
01-19-2016, 11:05 AM
I ran into the same dilemma back in September. I ordered the breakaway from Wing stuff to avoid the sales tax and shipping cost.
When I got the unit I looked at the largest ring provided and realized it would be a very tight squeeze and then due to the curve at the end of the grip I might not be able to fully get the ring all the way up and tight. I called Breakaway and must have spoken to the same unhelpfull lady who had no advise or suggestions. I took the cowards way out and returned it back to Wing Stuff and started looking for an alternative.
I called Kury. the other day and they told me their throttle lock unit will work with the ISO but I could not use their palm rest if I installed the lock.
To date I haven't decided which way to go. Weather permitting I plan on going to Daytona Bike Week in March. Hopefully, there I will be able to see different units that will work.
Perplexed in PA.

PS: Please let us know how you make out!

cpt_go
01-19-2016, 11:53 AM
I ran into the same dilemma back in September. I ordered the breakaway from Wing stuff to avoid the sales tax and shipping cost.
When I got the unit I looked at the largest ring provided and realized it would be a very tight squeeze and then due to the curve at the end of the grip I might not be able to fully get the ring all the way up and tight. I called Breakaway and must have spoken to the same unhelpfull lady who had no advise or suggestions. I took the cowards way out and returned it back to Wing Stuff and started looking for an alternative.
I called Kury. the other day and they told me their throttle lock unit will work with the ISO but I could not use their palm rest if I installed the lock.
To date I haven't decided which way to go. Weather permitting I plan on going to Daytona Bike Week in March. Hopefully, there I will be able to see different units that will work.
Perplexed in PA.

PS: Please let us know how you make out!

Hey Bob,
Thanks for the reply. Well I've contacted Cruiser Customizing since they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy no restocking fee and best price w/ no shipping. They gave me a vague answer on the fitment with the ISO grips even though they have a video on youtube and their website showing that it will work, BrakeAway also has a video showing the same, but like you my concern is with the curve at the end of the grip and getting the ring up tight. The lady at BrakeAway told me that there was an upgrade coming out soon likely at the end of the month(Jan-16) but was unable to give me details or even for sure if it was the F6 part # 6CP03 or not.
Question?? How many rings came with your kit? Were they different sizes??
Good luck with your trip to Bike week, I went last year so won't make it again this year. I'll be waiting for Americade here in June.

Thanks again

bobo
01-20-2016, 09:54 AM
Hello,
Thanks

HI CPT-GO i installed breakaway cruise control on the black kury iso grips on my 2013 f6b. I bought the b. c. c. used and the part # listed was 6cb03-o6 which maybe should be 6cp03-06 anyway i had not put the grips on the bike yet so i removed the rubber insert from the grip and had no problem installing the grip part. I used the thickest rubber insert ( i received three rubber strips and tried the two thinner strips but the ring was wobbly) with the thick strip it was hard to install but doable, the ring on the grip is very stable with this rubber strip. With the grips on the bike use lots of soppy lube and you should have no problem putting the ring on. I would check with the lady at breakaway about the part numbers i posted, the only concern i have is with the wide levers but there is adjustments for the release when using the brake lever. Hope this helps in your decision.

cpt_go
01-20-2016, 06:23 PM
HI CPT-GO i installed breakaway cruise control on the black kury iso grips on my 2013 f6b. I bought the b. c. c. used and the part # listed was 6cb03-o6 which maybe should be 6cp03-06 anyway i had not put the grips on the bike yet so i removed the rubber insert from the grip and had no problem installing the grip part. I used the thickest rubber insert ( i received three rubber strips and tried the two thinner strips but the ring was wobbly) with the thick strip it was hard to install but doable, the ring on the grip is very stable with this rubber strip. With the grips on the bike use lots of soppy lube and you should have no problem putting the ring on. I would check with the lady at breakaway about the part numbers i posted, the only concern i have is with the wide levers but there is adjustments for the release when using the brake lever. Hope this helps in your decision.

Thanks BoBo,
Well yesterday I decided to pull the trigger and go ahead and order the BrakeAway CC and see if I can make it work. With the helpful input from several of you here on the site has given me some confidence to try it, I think it's doable. I purchased it from Cruiser Customizing they had the best price I could find at $169.95 with free priority shipping and an extra $10.00 coupon which brought the price down to $159.00 and they told me I had 60 days to return it from the date of purchase as long as it had all the original packaging.Oh and it comes with a free DVD on all Cruiser Custom installs. Cruiser Custom number was #BAW-6CP03 I ordered it on Monday should be here tomorrow(Thurs). I pick the bike up tomorrow from the dealer where it's having the brake recall done. So hopefully if the weather warms up a little I'll install it this weekend or Monday and see how it goes.
Just wanted to thank y'all and keep ya posted.

cpt_go
02-11-2016, 02:46 PM
OK everyone,
Here is the brand new BrakeAway Cruise Control for the F6B. The part number for the new model part#7CP04 if you have Kuryakyn Iso Grips and part #7CP05 if you have standard or stock grips. These are not recommended for the Deluxe model bike with heated grips.
I had called BrakeAway after receiving my previous order Part #6CP03 from Cruiser Customizing to ask a few questions about installation issues. They promptly told me to return the previous model to CC for refund and that they had a new model about to be released that should cure most of the installation problems and adjustment the previous model had( see attached) you can notice some of the changes in the picture. It just arrived today, hope to install it as soon as weather warms a little unfortunately my garage is not heated up here in the frozen northeast.

Bob Penn
02-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the update!!! Now hurry up and install it and let us know if it works. I'd love to get one before my trip south on March 7. No pressure, I understand they are predicting 5 below zero this weekend.

PS If it works I'll buy you a beer at Americade.

Bob Penn
02-25-2016, 09:03 AM
OK, so I have no patience! I ordered a 7CPO5 last week and received it on Monday. Despite the fact that the lady who answered the phone at Breakaway originally told me they don't make that model number. Luckily there was someone else in the office that corrected her and confirmed that the new model 7CP05 would work on a F6B with Black Kury. ISO grips. Cost from the MFG. was $179.00 shipping included.

Yesterday I installed it and found it to be fairly easy following the MFG. included instructions. It took all of about 30 minutes to do the work, plus another 30 minutes to keep finding those damn little cap screws that I kept dropping on the garage floor. There was no alcohol involved it just those screw are so small and I was working in a cool garage with old numb fingers. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. So just a warning put a drop cloth under the bike so you don't loose those screws when you drop them and you will drop them. Also note the unit was shipped with 3 friction strips. I found the thinnest one worked the best with my ISO grips.

All seems to be working fine but I still have some fine tuning to do and of course that first ride. I"ll let you all know how that works out!

Thanks again to cpt_go for updating us on the new model number.

Bob Penn
02-29-2016, 09:50 AM
I managed to get in a 90 mile ride yesterday on a 58 degree day to test out the Breakaway installation.
All went as advertised. No problems! Heck not even a need for fine tuning. On I-380 I set the lock at 3000 rpm and it maintained the speed within 5 mph. up and down some hills. The release either by the button or the brake worked perfectly.