PDA

View Full Version : 12V AC Fuse Blown

RoughRider
08-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Wondering what is the fuse amp rating on the 12V plug in? I plugged in a small air compressor to pump up the tires and blew the fuse. My mistake, should have read all the directions on the pump. :banghead: what fuse am I looking for in the fuse box..a bit confused. My bad.:

MichaelG
08-18-2013, 08:28 AM
RoughRider, the quick and easy solution to what ails you is: Hook up a Battery Tender harness, directly to the battery, and route the non-battery end of the harness to exit from under the seat to a place whwre it is easily accessible. Mine is located directly at the front end of the seat.

By doing this, you now have a port that goes directly to the battery, for....charging the bike in slow riding seasons...for hooking up your Gerbing Heated Clothing...and for hooking up your air compressor.

That one harness wiring set-up will service several different needs, without taxing any aux. fuse on the fuse panel.:icon_wink:

Steve 0080
08-18-2013, 08:56 AM
I believe the answer is 5 amps ..... but Miles has a very good ideal there.... get some extra " ends " and you will be in great shape...

This is a start for for looking for the ends... http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6428064804P?PDP_REDIRECT=false&hlSellerId=25480

Yeahoo Whoyah
08-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Hook up a Battery Tender harness

:thumb:

Interestingly my F6B was set up that way when I bought it off the showroom floor at Burt's Megamall.

Phantom
08-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Miles has a very good idea there....

I agree, excellent idea. I have a couple of extra ends and will be modifying the little air pump to plug into my battery tender plug. The battery tender plug already has a in-line 5 amp fuse, easy access if it were to blow the fuse.

Thanks Miles!!!

Texas TC
08-18-2013, 09:26 AM
RoughRider, the quick and easy solution to what ails you is: Hook up a Battery Tender harness, directly to the battery, and route the non-battery end of the harness to exit from under the seat to a place whwre it is easily accessible. Mine is located directly at the front end of the seat.

By doing this, you now have a port that goes directly to the battery, for....charging the bike in slow riding seasons...for hooking up your Gerbing Heated Clothing...and for hooking up your air compressor.

That one harness wiring set-up will service several different needs, without taxing any aux. fuse on the fuse panel.:icon_wink:

Very true. I have an extension that plugs into the battery tender with a 12v outlet on the end. I think I might have got it at Camping World or Walmart, and it gives me all kinds of possibilities. Also, the battery tender has its own fuse. Easy to locate and replace. I mounted my outlet at the middle of the seat and it tucks out of sight under the seat when not in use.

MichaelG
08-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Rough Rider, I was going to Edit my post, with more inclusions of info, but I see that others have added to the conversation, with eloquent prose.

As sted by others, the Battery Tender harness does have its' own inline fuse, and while some "say" it has a 5 amp fuse...I was thinking it was actually a 10 amp fuse. Either way, whatever size fuse it is...change it out to be a 10 amp fuse. Period !

Secondly, almost every motorcycle shop in North America now sells the Battery Tender JUNIOR. You want the Battery Tender...JUNIOR.
I cannot emphasize that enough. The Battery Tender JUNIOR. It comes will all the cables and harness you need, and more. They usually cost about $ 35.00 +/-

I have 3 of these in my motorcycle garage, and another 2 of them in my shop. They work excellent, but most importantly...they do not fail like their big brother...the Battery Tender Plus does.

The OEM Honda power msource wire under the left pocket of the fairing is not a large enough gauge of wire, nor a large enough amp fuse rating to carry the laod of an air compressor, that yoyu were using it for. The Battery Tender JUNIOR wiring is a heavier gauge wire, and use a 10 amp fuse, and I can tell you...I have NEVER....EVER...had to replace the fuse on that inline harness on any of my bikes.:icon_mrgreen:

MichaelG
08-18-2013, 09:42 AM
:thumb:

Interestingly my F6B was set up that way when I bought it off the showroom floor at Burt's Megamall.

A lot of dealers are now seeing the benefits of having this battery tender hook-up already on the bikes, sitting on the showroom, so they can keep the serviced bikes up to full charge. Once the harness has been installed by the dealer, they find it easier and cheaper to simply leave it on the bike when it is sold. The dealers buy these additional harnesses by the gross, so they are cheaper for them.:shhh:

RoughRider
08-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Thanks Miles and Steve..great idea's.

RoughRider
08-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks to all you guys for the great info....:clap2:

Phantom
08-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Well, my curiosity was raised.

I currently use the YUASA SmartShot 900 Battery charger-maintainer. Like Miles, I have 3 of these small and very reliable chargers.

I did not lift the seats off my Bikes to check the in-line fuse AMP rating on the cords, so I looked at a spare un-opened YUASA SmartShot 900 Battery charger through the clear plastic and the in-line fuse housing states 3A, I then looked at a new spare plug with the in-line fuse and it has a 7.5A in it. So there are several plugs out there. The last Bike that I sold had a 5A in-line fuse on the cord that connected to a Ctek charger, I assumed that this was the standard. Obviously it is not and they are available in a 3A, 5A, 7.5A or 10A. Like Miles, I have never blown a fuse on any tender cable.

So I just learned something today that ALL of my battery tender connecting cables had/have 3 different Amperage ratings.

RoughRider
08-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Very true. I have an extension that plugs into the battery tender with a 12v outlet on the end. I think I might have got it at Camping World or Walmart, and it gives me all kinds of possibilities. Also, the battery tender has its own fuse. Easy to locate and replace. I mounted my outlet at the middle of the seat and it tucks out of sight under the seat when not in use.

Texas TC, the 12v outlet is what Im looking for to connect to the end of the battery tender. I'll have to check WalMart I suppose, thanks

RoughRider
08-18-2013, 10:55 AM

TC, are you saying you can hook up the battery tender to a female 12v end to connect to the male end like in a cigarette lighter plug?

Pedro66
08-18-2013, 11:01 AM
TC, are you saying you can hook up the battery tender to a female 12v end to connect to the male end like in a cigarette lighter plug?

Maybe something like this

http://bikemp3.com/images/1328457111941-1224235936.gif

Scotrod
08-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Texas TC, the 12v outlet is what Im looking for to connect to the end of the battery tender. I'll have to check WalMart I suppose, thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Scotrod
08-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Not sure,,, maybe one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-8-Cigarette-Disconnect/dp/B0041CDPQO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376842813&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+tender+connector

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Deltran-Cigarette-Lighter-081-0069-5/dp/B003CJ927I/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1376842838&sr=8-17&keywords=battery+tender+connector

RoughRider
08-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Not sure,,, maybe one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-8-Cigarette-Disconnect/dp/B0041CDPQO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376842813&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+tender+connector

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Deltran-Cigarette-Lighter-081-0069-5/dp/B003CJ927I/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1376842838&sr=8-17&keywords=battery+tender+connector

That's it!!!!!!!

Texas TC
08-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Yes RoughRider and Pete, like others have posted, this one:

BubbaJePH
08-18-2013, 04:33 PM
REMEMBER to always fuse every hot lead off the battery. Rather a fuse blow than burn your bike to the ground. Of course never fuse the negative aka ground lead.

Bike44
08-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Charge indicator light in the tender cable: http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/01/05/a-bright-flashing-light-warns-of-low-battery-voltage/

After installation it requires setting the normal running voltage endpoint in the unit by running the motorcycle. I've had three of them and they do light up when charging is required. They come with a 7.5 amp fuse I believe.

Phantom
08-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Charge indicator light in the tender cable: http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/01/05/a-bright-flashing-light-warns-of-low-battery-voltage/

After installation it requires setting the normal running voltage endpoint in the unit by running the motorcycle. I've had three of them and they do light up when charging is required. They come with a 7.5 amp fuse I believe.

I have had something similar from CTEK, it was a pigtail that indicated green, yellow and red. Obviously when the RED led blinked, it was time to charge the battery. These pigtails cost between $7 - $13

Bike44
08-18-2013, 09:17 PM
I have had something similar from CTEK, it was a pigtail that indicated green, yellow and red. Obviously when the RED led blinked, it was time to charge the battery. These pigtails cost between $7 - $13

Even better, thanks. Was looking for one with a built in choice.

unsub
08-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Excellent advice Miles. I routed mine through the vent on the side panel so it doesn't rub against the body.

Scotrod
08-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Rated at ~12~ amps. Long enough leads to make it to the battery.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007INSQ3A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wouldn't use it with a lighter, but it should be good for compressors, etc.

Scotrod
08-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Excellent advice Miles. I routed mine through the vent on the side panel so it doesn't rub against the body.

I LIKE IT! :yes: