PDA

View Full Version : Landing Gear for the F6b

oldman
01-24-2016, 12:08 PM
I'm still hoping to get a new F6b this coming spring, despite having a bit of concern of getting such a heavy bike. My current Triumph Thunderbird is about 750 lbs. and adding another 100+ pounds has me just a tad nervous, especially about slow speed handling and backing up with a passenger on board. And I'm getting older, and know that at some point handling such a large bike might just get to be too much even if I stay healthy. So I was looking at landinggear.com and their product (which they say is made for the GL1800 so I assume it would work on the F6b). I was wondering if any on this forum have or know of this product, or any other such product that provides extra stability at very slow speed, and have any advice on this issue. Although it is expensive, it appears that with such an addition I would no longer have any real concerns over riding this really heavy motorcycle.

opas ride
01-24-2016, 12:23 PM
I'm still hoping to get a new F6b this coming spring, despite having a bit of concern of getting such a heavy bike. My current Triumph Thunderbird is about 750 lbs. and adding another 100+ pounds has me just a tad nervous, especially about slow speed handling and backing up with a passenger on board. And I'm getting older, and know that at some point handling such a large bike might just get to be too much even if I stay healthy. So I was looking at landinggear.com and their product (which they say is made for the GL1800 so I assume it would work on the F6b). I was wondering if any on this forum have or know of this product, or any other such product that provides extra stability at very slow speed, and have any advice on this issue. Although it is expensive, it appears that with such an addition I would no longer have any real concerns over riding this really heavy motorcycle.

I just turned 76 years old and am still in fairly decent health. A little Osteoarthritis in my left knee and a weak left arm due to Polio as a teen-ager, but find the F6B very easy to ride and handle..With the Mustang seat and 1/2" higher heels on my boots, no issues at stops or flat-footing the bike..I am about 5'8" with a short 29" inseam and this combo works for me just fine...Personally I would not put this "landing gear" on any bike..I would go for a trike of sorts first..JMHO...Have you ridden the F6B yet?...If not, you will be very surprised how well it handles at slow speeds and how really stable it is..I would not worry about it and give it a shot.....Ride safe...

terryboyle
01-24-2016, 12:48 PM
at least in my part of the world. This might be a consideration-the previous poster mentioned triking the bike which I expect will have a reverse option.

Retired Army
01-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Would the answer be it depends on how much money is to be invested in an undetermined time of enjoyment? Do I have enough money for the time I have left? BTW trikes are very stable but more expensive than landing gear. As far as I know the F6B still has no reverse.

gray rider
01-24-2016, 07:53 PM
One of my other bikes is a Triumph Thunderbird Storm so I have much experience with both. Even though they are very different animals they are both heavy. I know the F6B is about 100 pounds heavier but the center of gravity is lower. Just as you would do on the Thunderbird be selective where you park so you don't have to back pedal the F6B uphill. I have to admit to riding my GW trike more often these days. Time and age eventually get us all.

Nero
01-24-2016, 08:07 PM
I'm 67 and in reasonably good shape and health. My last couple of bikes were lighter than the F6B, consequently I was a little concerned. I am here to report that design of the Honda really minimizes the weight/balance issue. The low seating position allows me to move the bike foreword and backward, within reason of course. I have become adept at recognizing optimal parking spots as soon as I pull into the parking lot. All in all the weight and girth of the F6B have yet to be an issue. I stand 5' 9" tall and my BMW K 1200 Gt though lighter was considerably taller, that was the deal breaker for me...Hope this helps

Steve 0080
01-24-2016, 11:05 PM

I watched this item being made and tested...their shop is about 5 miles from my home in Longwood. Great product !!!

motozeke
01-25-2016, 12:05 AM
I just turned 76 years old and am still in fairly decent health. A little Osteoarthritis in my left knee and a weak left arm due to Polio as a teen-ager, but find the F6B very easy to ride and handle..With the Mustang seat and 1/2" higher heels on my boots, no issues at stops or flat-footing the bike..I am about 5'8" with a short 29" inseam and this combo works for me just fine...Personally I would not put this "landing gear" on any bike..I would go for a trike of sorts first..JMHO...Have you ridden the F6B yet?...If not, you will be very surprised how well it handles at slow speeds and how really stable it is..I would not worry about it and give it a shot.....Ride safe...

I'm the same height and inseam, and this bike never feels too heavy or ungainly for me, at least not insofar as my legs feel too short (and I have the stock seat and normal riding boots). Always avoid parking with her nose down, and you'll be fine. Easier to manage than my old 500 lb Multistrada, because the weight is carried low and the bike is well balanced.

oldman
01-25-2016, 12:05 PM
I really appreciate the comments. In two weeks I get to go to the International Motorcycle Show and my #1 priority is to sit on and really look at the F6b. If all goes well I would buy as soon as we are close to riding season in this part of the country. At my age not too many things get me excited, but anticipation for a new bike is one of them. Of course my wife thinks I am crazy because I rarely have gone more than 2 years without deciding that my current ride needs to be replaced!

Ridlikhel
01-25-2016, 10:12 PM

My neighbor has it on his 2014 Goldwing and I'm very impressed with how good it works. Goes up and down pretty quick. He's about 65 years old and it allows both him and his wife to cruise anywhere hi wants. Into a gas station, no problem. He even makes tight turns in small parking lots. If I had to, I would use one.