PDA

View Full Version : Wing whiner?

Bike44
08-18-2013, 03:18 PM
No, not the term the local parts and service folks call us. I've noticed that after my F6B (<1000 miles so still new) warms up ~hour, the gear noise/engine whine increases. An oil change might help. The local dealer sold me 10W-30 for the first oil change...said only 10W-30 was Honda's recommendation.

So do you experienced Wing folks have a normal noise increase with warmup? I'm not concerned and am considering a XX-40 oil instead of the 30W to maybe quiet things down. For example I've used Rotella 5W-40 in other bikes and it's done well.

Wingman
08-18-2013, 07:26 PM
I have noticed a definite whine to it, but my VFR did the same thing. It must be Honda tranny thing.

Bike44
08-18-2013, 08:17 PM
No complaints, just it gets louder when warm so I'm thinking thicker oil than 10W-30. I suppose all it'll take is a change of lube to find out. The Yamaha Venture and BMW K1600...now there's some serious engine noise.

Some straight cut gears in the clutch, alternator drive, or transmission parts I suppose is the source. Might go away with miles. Not a deal breaker in the F6B.

xzvs
08-18-2013, 10:18 PM
haven't researched what its supposed to have in it -- assume 10w40 -- but yes I have a slight whine as well - but its still quieter and smoother than any other honda trans - they do tend to do that -- and if it whines for over 300k miles I am fine with that

xzvs
08-18-2013, 10:21 PM
also if your in ak. bike -- I'd go lighter -- newer engines are designed to flow through much smaller orifices -- with the volume over thickness theory -- bottom line read the manual and go from there

Bike44
08-18-2013, 10:32 PM
also if your in ak. bike -- I'd go lighter -- newer engines are designed to flow through much smaller orifices -- with the volume over thickness theory -- bottom line read the manual and go from there

You know the engine...thanks for the input. Actually my dealer said the same about the 10W-30 for Wings 2007 on. I'm just curious why the increase in engine noise with engine and oil temps. Idemitsu I believe is the oil blender, or at least it was recently, and they have a good rep. I'll follow my dealer's recommendation but it doesn't hurt to question it once in a while.

Our temps for riding are from freezing to +90F max. This week it'll be in the 60's. Unless the roads are dry, I'd not take my bike out below freezing without studded tires.

Westernbiker
08-19-2013, 12:06 PM
I am so use to the whine of my '97' Valkyrie that has straight cut gears, I don't notice the F6B making any noise.

cueman
08-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Boy, don't ever ride a Ural.:nono: Even with your hearing aids turned off you would be able to hear all sorts of metal and marbles noise.:icon_lol:cueman

Bike44
08-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Boy, don't ever ride a Ural.:nono: Even with your hearing aids turned off you would be able to hear all sorts of metal and marbles noise.:icon_lol:cueman

I did and survived the ordeal. It was one of my life's memorable experiences. There was a local dealer that offered test scoots. I did mine for a couple hours, and while the ride was fun, I could soon tell the setup wasn't for me. They were made for banging around the mud flats and snow fields of eastern Europe and Russia. Stole the engine from the Germans and made it worse. I hear today they are refined and offer some good features. There's a few up here in Alaska that treasure them, especially in winter.