PDA

View Full Version : Corbin vs Daylong

Davidk
01-26-2016, 06:10 PM
I changed by factory seat to the corbin with backrest. After 2 hours I need a break from pain in the butt. Is the daylong seat really day long?

Jimmytee
01-26-2016, 06:29 PM
I changed by factory seat to the corbon with backrest. After 2 hours I need a break from pain in the butt. Is the daylong seat really day long?

The Corbins do take some miles to break in properly. That being said, they're not for everyone. I like mine and find it very comfortable. Mine has been reupholstered in a black velour and I bought it used from another member who had already broke it in.

If, I felt inclined to change, though, the Day Long seats are where I'd turn. Never heard a complaint about them. They are built to suit the individual rider.

Davidk
01-26-2016, 06:42 PM
The Corbins do take some miles to break in properly. That being said, they're not for everyone. I like mine and find it very comfortable. Mine has been reupholstered in a black velour and I bought it used from another member who had already broke it in.

If, I felt inclined to change, though, the Day Long seats are where I'd turn. Never heard a complaint about them. They are built to suit the individual rider.

I have about 4000 miles on it, so my guess is that it is broken in

Just got off the phone will Russel. They said their seat would increase the height by about 2 inches which won't work for me unless I lower the bike. Oh well.

Stevvvo
01-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Corbin seats require patience to break in. You have to get many, many rides in for it to conform to your butt. It's all about having no pressure points which is what causes pain. Once your seat is broken in it will feel wonderful. This is my third Corbin and I would not get anything else. But that is my opinion.

Davidk
01-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Corbin seats require patience to break in. You have to get many, many rides in for it to conform to your butt. It's all about having no pressure points which is what causes pain. Once your seat is broken in it will feel wonderful. This is my third Corbin and I would not get anything else. But that is my opinion.

How many miles does it take to break in?

Stevvvo
01-26-2016, 07:54 PM
Corbin indicates 1500 - 2000 miles so your way past the break in period. Did you purchase your seat new or used? Not sure if you can break in a used seat. Good question for Corbin.

Davidk
01-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Corbin indicates 1500 - 2000 miles so your way past the break in period. Did you purchase your seat new or used? Not sure if you can break in a used seat. Good question for Corbin.

That's what I though they said. I bought it new.

Jimmytee
01-26-2016, 08:31 PM

Just got off the phone will Russel. They said their seat would increase the height by about 2 inches which won't work for me unless I lower the bike. Oh well.

That doesn't sound right. I have sat on other's bikes who had the Day Long and didn't notice that. There is always the Ultimate Seats. That's what I have on my Valkyrie and like them very much.

1951vbs
01-26-2016, 08:47 PM

Ask Russell about their "sport seat" option. It is lower, with out the springs but designed the same way. I have had several Russell Seats and the one sport seat I had on a Suzuki B-King was fantastic. definitely "Day Long"! No offense to Corbin Seat lovers but they are hard as rock like a horse saddle. If Russel would have made horse saddles at the turn of the century cowboys would have bought them (no saddle sores).

Bruce B
01-26-2016, 08:49 PM
I didn't go with Day Long either because of the height. Went to Rick Mayer ( rickmayercycle.com ) who is also in northern CA and does custom, made to order seats on your original pan. It's not as tall as the Day Long. I've heard that at Iron Butt gatherings, if riders aren't on a Day Long, they are most likely on a Rick Mayer. Very happy with mine. I can spend all day in the saddle and never think about it at all. No discomfort of any kind. Not thinking about a seat while riding on it all day is about the highest accolade you could give a seat.

Davidk
01-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Ask Russell about their "sport seat" option. It is lower, with out the springs but designed the same way. I have had several Russell Seats and the one sport seat I had on a Suzuki B-King was fantastic. definitely "Day Long"! No offense to Corbin Seat lovers but they are hard as rock like a horse saddle. If Russel would have made horse saddles at the turn of the century cowboys would have bought them (no saddle sores).

Hmm, wonder why they didn't tell me about that. She actually said that they can't help me if I can't ride two inches higher

Davidk
01-26-2016, 08:54 PM
I didn't go with Day Long either because of the height. Went to Rick Mayer ( rickmayercycle.com ) who is also in northern CA and does custom, made to order seats on your original pan. It's not as tall as the Day Long. I've heard that at Iron Butt gatherings, if riders aren't on a Day Long, they are most likely on a Rick Mayer. Very happy with mine. I can spend all day in the saddle and never think about it at all. No discomfort of any kind. Not thinking about a seat while riding on it all day is about the highest accolade you could give a seat.

I will check them out, thanks

Stevvvo
01-26-2016, 08:55 PM
Unfortunately it is costing you to find out. No easy solution here but to research thoroughly and take that leap. Good Luck!!!

1951vbs
01-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Hmm, wonder why they didn't tell me about that. She actually said that they can't help me if I can't ride two inches higher

http://www.day-long.com/day-long-vs-sport-seat/

Sport Seat
The Day-Long Sport Seat is designed for the more aggressive, vertically challenged, and style concerned rider. The Sport Seat allows you to move side to side by minimizing the defined pocket of the seat so you can feel a pocket while cruising, but drag your knee while cornering. It keeps the rider very close to the same height as the stock seat after the break-in period. The Sport Saddle has minimized wings that are not as defined as the suspension Day-Long.

The comfort of the Sport Saddle can range due to rider’s needs. Generally the more buttock that is supported the less pounds per square inch of pressure there is. Therefore we take into consideration information provided on the order form, along with required pictures to make the most comfortable and efficient seat for your build, riding tendencies, and style. We can keep you at a stock height while achieving a good comfort range. The initial build may raise you approximately 1/2 in. After a proper break-in (usually 500 + miles) the saddle should settle you in at stock height.

The warranty on the Sport Saddle is: After you put 1000 miles on the seat for break-in purposes, and find discomfort. You are allowed two adjustments. You must pay shipping to our facilities, RCP will pay for return shipping cost. There is no Buy-Back Warranty on the Sport Saddle. Please refer to “Adjustments” in our warranty section for further information. Your builder may require some pictures before return shipping.

The Day-Long Sport Saddle just may be just what you’re looking for to put you in a streamlined, stylish, comfort zone!

Steve 0080
01-26-2016, 11:49 PM
Corbin seats suck, HUGH !!!!! I have purchased three, all over $1K...and they all suck !!!!!

Try Ultimate, if you don't like it mail it back!

Jimmytee
01-27-2016, 06:11 AM
Corbin seats suck, HUGH !!!!! I have purchased three, all over $1K...and they all suck !!!!!

Try Ultimate, if you don't like it mail it back!

Tell us how you REALLY feel Steve. :tomatohit:

It took THREE??? :icon_lol:

I like mine, I didn't pay the new price though.

shooter
01-27-2016, 07:41 AM
I have a Corbin on my M109R and its great. I've had multiple 400 mile days with no problem. I couldn't do 200 on the stocker. I've sat on Davids Corbin. Its hard. It moved me forward probably an inch or more and down probably an inch. That's why I didn't buy one. David I think the Mustang seat drops you down an inch. That may be a consideration.

seadog
01-27-2016, 09:04 AM
I have a Corbin on my M109R and its great. I've had multiple 400 mile days with no problem. I couldn't do 200 on the stocker. I've sat on Davids Corbin. Its hard. It moved me forward probably an inch or more and down probably an inch. That's why I didn't buy one. David I think the Mustang seat drops you down an inch. That may be a consideration.

I liked my Corbin on the Suzuki also and it did take some time to break it in. I almost went with them on the F6B but Big Larry talked me into buying a Russell Day Long and I was so impressed with the seat right from the start. There was no break-in as it was comfortable right from day one. I sent them everything they ask for in height, leg length, picture of myself on the bike and sent them the stock seat and was just amazed that they could produce the nicest seat I ever owned from 2000 miles away with just the measurements and pictures. Very impressed with the results. The expense I didn't like was the freight charge from Michigan to California, which was $130 bucks but they rebuilt the seat and shipped it back to my door for $654 dollars total. I don't have a rear passenger3695 so I just had them concentrate on the driver seat and just did it in their very best vinyl. Which I also was impressed with, the seat is gorgeous.

willtill
01-27-2016, 09:13 AM
I liked my Corbin on the Suzuki also and it did take some time to break it in. I almost went with them on the F6B but Big Larry talked me into buying a Russell Day Long and I was so impressed with the seat right from the start. There was no break-in as it was comfortable right from day one. I sent them everything they ask for in height, leg length, picture of myself on the bike and sent them the stock seat and was just amazed that they could produce the nicest seat I ever owned from 2000 miles away with just the measurements and pictures. Very impressed with the results. The expense I didn't like was the freight charge from Michigan to California, which was $130 bucks but they rebuilt the seat and shipped it back to my door for $654 dollars total. I don't have a rear passenger18590 so I just had them concentrate on the driver seat and just did it in their very best vinyl. Which I also was impressed with, the seat is gorgeous.

Is the stitching waterproof?

Steve 0080
01-27-2016, 11:03 AM
Tell us how you REALLY feel Steve. :tomatohit:

It took THREE??? :icon_lol:

I like mine, I didn't pay the new price though.

Oh I knew after the first one, my wife on the other hand was not convinced until after the third !!!

BIGLRY
01-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Is the stitching waterproof?To quote the FAQ on the RDL site.

"Waterproof Cover

Q. You say that even your vinyl covers are not 100% waterproof because of the sewing machine needle holes. I’ve heard there is a way to make your Saddle waterproof by installing a layer of plastic or other waterproof material between the seat cover and the foam inside. Is this the best way to address this problem?

A. It is true that the sewing machine needle holes even in a vinyl cover render the material less than 100% waterproof. This is generally not a big problem because the holes are tiny and will not let much water pass through. Of course, if a bike is left standing in a downpour and water is allowed to puddle in the low spots of the saddle for very long then some water is going to have time to seep through the needle holes. Once this happens it will take a long time for the internal foam to dry out. None of this will cause damage to the vinyl, and the only possible damage to the foam innards is if the wet condition is allowed to persist until mold or mildew develops. If a saddle does get wet inside take it off the bike and stand it on end in a corner for a couple days, the water will gradually drain out of the foam. As always, an ounce of prevention=a pound of cure!

We’ve spent a good deal of time exploring various ways of water proofing our seat covers, including the one you mentioned. In the final analysis nothing compares with the flexibility, simplicity and effectiveness of utilizing the external rain cover which also provides additional benefits such as protection against sunlight, dust, morning dew, spillage, etc. The rain cover is made so that you can ride with it in place, and it provides all these benefits whether your Saddle is covered in vinyl, velour or leather."
http://www.day-long.com/faqs/

I have never had any problems with a wet saddle since I'm setting on it when riding in the rain and the whole bike is covered when I'm not on it and it rains.:icon_biggrin: