PDA

View Full Version : Mustang seat questions

Big Cat
01-26-2016, 10:45 PM
I have a few questions on the Mustang seat. I have had good results from Ultimate seats on my Goldwings, but I am liking the idea that the Mustang seat might eliminate the need for a driver's backrest.

I am 6' and 32" or 33" inseam. Both knees have some arthritis, so need to reduce knee bend to less than 90 degrees if possible.

The Mustang pitch is that it moves the rider back 1" which should help with the knees.

For those who have the Mustang seat, have you found that it provides the same lower and mid-back support as seats with external backrests?

They also say they lower the seat some, which I don't need...and I wonder how that affects knee bend?

Any experience from similar-sized riders who use the Mustang seat would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

Steve 0080
01-26-2016, 11:53 PM
Your not going to like it.... Go Ultimate King.... JMHO

BEIST
01-27-2016, 04:35 AM
I love my seat and find sitting "in" the saddle does provide some lower back support BUT I'm 6'0" and my knees are bent at much more of an angle than they were on the factory seat. It may move you back an 1" but seams more like down an inch.

DMAGOLDRDR
01-27-2016, 07:43 AM
I really like my Mustang BUT hate that there is no backrest. The lower position of the Mustang is great for me. 5"11

I put a Utopia in the Stock seat first. The went with a Mustang with the same hope as you. On my way to Daytona (from Connecticut) I had to position my travel bag so I had something to use as a backrest.

While in Daytona I went to Ultimate and tried their seat but was not happy with how I sat, soooo I now have a Utopia siting in a box and if I ever get time will mount it in the Mustang. Not an easy task but dickiedeals (another forum member here) sent me his install info and it is on my list.

Big Cat
01-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Your not going to like it.... Go Ultimate King.... JMHO

Pretty hard to beat the quality of the Ultimate King. On my Goldwings, I installed risers to move the bars back to allow for the Ultimate King setback...but I really don't want to do this on the F6B unless absolutely necessary...same with Helibars...I want to leave the handlebars where they are.

I wonder how many 6' riders are using the Ultimate King with no pullback on the bars?

Steve 0080
01-27-2016, 11:13 AM
FYI:

Things to buy in the correct order or risk buying more stuff....

1. Windshield

2. Move handle bars is so inclined

3. Seat

4. Foot pegs

Steve 0080
01-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Pretty hard to beat the quality of the Ultimate King. On my Goldwings, I installed risers to move the bars back to allow for the Ultimate King setback...but I really don't want to do this on the F6B unless absolutely necessary...same with Helibars...I want to leave the handlebars where they are.

I wonder how many 6' riders are using the Ultimate King with no pullback on the bars?

Over height has little to do with this decision... it is leg length. Some with 31+ inseam will feel cramped on the Mustang seat and their knees will
begin to hurt them as will their lower back....same goes for folks with longer arms....JMO

Texas TC
01-27-2016, 02:37 PM
Love my Mustang seat. 6' with 31" inseam. The lower and farther back riding position works well for me without the need to change the handlebar position. I like the lower back support provided by Mustang but it does little for mid back support. Every touring motorcycle I have owned before the F6B has had a backrest. I was concerned I would miss that mid back support with this motorcycle but the Mustang has been very comfortable to me without the addition of a taller backrest.

I do have Ergo II highway pegs to change my foot position but rarely use them.

Seats, handlebar positioning, and seats are very personal choices. For me, Mustang seat, stock handlebars, and an 18" F4 Customs windshield has been the perfect combination.

DMAGOLDRDR
01-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Over height has little to do with this decision... it is leg length. Some with 31+ inseam will feel cramped on the Mustang seat and their knees will
begin to hurt them as will their lower back....same goes for folks with longer arms....JMO

For me and what I tried.........I would disagree with the Mustang and being cramped. I tried the Ultimate and my knees were closer to the Fairing than on the Mustang. Also the Ultimate sat me very high where the Mustang was almost 2 in lower. I'm 5'11" and 34" inseam

Also... I would go for a seat before a windshield. I could go with a much lower setting on my Madstad shield with my Mustang seat, but the Ultimate was just a tad bit taller than stock seat and I had to raise it up much more.

I had swapped back and forth between the Mustang and Ultimate when I was in Daytona back in October.

3Chief
01-27-2016, 08:02 PM
I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam, I have a mustang on my VTX and have loved it for years. With B I want to try one as the 1" lower and back seems like it would be perfect. It's the cost on a gamble...Trying to buy a used one on ebay but people want new pricing for a used seat...

SierraKen
01-27-2016, 08:51 PM
Jim, I have the Mustang seat and love it though I have not been on a multiday ride since I mounted it. Have done several 8 plus hour rides and find that it provides good support. As you know, im shorter than you. 5'10" with 30" inseam. I haven't really noticed that the seat put me back much but it is lower which fits me well.

Cool Hand Luke
01-27-2016, 10:10 PM
I think you will get many different answers on this topic. Here is mine.

I am 6' tall with 32" inseam. I did plenty of miles with the stock seat, including on 700+ mile day, but also used Airhawk cushion. It did OK, but with the cushion it raised me up higher. I agonized a lot about which seat to get. If I had to do it all over again I would go with Russell Day long, as it is customized for you and I had one made for another bike and is great. But for F6B I went with the Mustang.

I like the low back support and seat in general. It is firm but not like Corbin and felt comfortable immediately. It did not seem to have needed any break in period. During trips it does not sag, it stays firm and supportive. It does seat you a bit lower, which I like for a couple of reasons: it seems to give me more confidence in the twisties as it noticably lowered my center of gravity, and also I have a Baggershield so now I have zero turbulence as I sit at the perfect height for riding (I also raised the shield a bit, too).

My knees are somewhat more bent now, but I also use aeropegs and my comfortable perch on long rides is to lean back into the back support and put my feet on aeropegs and use throttlemeister throttle lock. I can ride like that all day long with occasinal shuffle to regular pegs as well. In twisties I use regular pegs and have no cramping whatsoever.

In my opinion this seat is the best looking of the bunch and really complements the lines of the bike. So far it is wearing well. It was a bitch to put on, but recently I had to take it off and it went back on with no problems at all, stock bolts too. I guess after a while it settled down and holes just line up perfectly.

I also got it for better price than other seats are sold for, but that may not be important to you.

Here is what my bike looks like with it.

Amipro
01-28-2016, 11:12 AM
I like my Mustang seat. It does lower and set me back a little. The wife had to tip toe balance my "B" with the stock seat, but she can sit flat footed with the Mustang. I am 5' 11" with a 32" inseam. If it took any bend out of my knees, I really don't notice it. If your main goal is to reduce knee bend, then I would suggest lowered mini boards or highway pegs. The back support is much better than stock, but if you are used to riding with an actual backrest it may be disappointing to you. It is not as "cush" as some of the other seats but I have to agree with Cool Hand Luke that I think it is the best looking seat on this bike.

Big Cat
01-28-2016, 04:57 PM

Yes, this is absolutely true...and based on most of the feedback to my questions, I'm going to steer clear of the Mustang until I can sit in one and try it out. As others have said, this is such a personal decision, and so many variables are involved. Fix one problem, create another. Since I find the stock seat pretty comfortable, the easiest solution may be simply to add a backrest and be done with it.

Thanks to everybody for the feedback! .notworthy.

SoCal Rich
01-28-2016, 11:06 PM
I'm 6 1 and have Ultimate King and i love it. Also, i have very long arms so I'm very comfortable with the handlebar position. I think you would like the foot position and knee bend, but unless you have long arms you might need the heli bars.

f6bmbaer
02-03-2016, 03:07 PM
I rode 2056 miles this summer doing iron butt did it in 34 hours butt was good up till about 1700 when tempature got up to 100 and sweat started I love this seat

MisterB
02-05-2016, 12:13 AM
Are the Mustangs leather, pleather, or just straight-out vinyl? Hard to tell from pictures. That 8" backrest looks nice.
edit: looked at the Mustang website, it's not leather but they look nicely made. Haven't heard anyone on the boards complaining about them falling apart, now all I need is to line up the funds!

opas ride
02-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Are the Mustangs leather, pleather, or just straight-out vinyl? Hard to tell from pictures. That 8" backrest looks nice.
edit: looked at the Mustang website, it's not leather but they look nicely made. Haven't heard anyone on the boards complaining about them falling apart, now all I need is to line up the funds!
Not leather as said above, but no issues at all with mine. Still looks like brand new and going on the 3rd riding season...As some have said it is, in my opinion, the best looking seat on the F6B and with short inseam/legs it works great...The Ultimate seat is also very nice, but I think taller riders with longer legs/inseams like it better...JMHO

DaWadd
02-05-2016, 06:50 PM
I'm 6 ft with 32 inseam and found I did not like the lower seating of the Mustang but I usually have an Airhawk pad and it's perfect for me. I love putting the pegs out and snugglin into the backrest on those long stretches.

BEIST
02-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Not only am I pretty damn happy with my seat; I am proud to own it also.

https://youtu.be/6qA1f9p-C-I