PDA

View Full Version : What are some of your Regrets in life ?

Phantom
01-28-2016, 09:25 PM
:icon_wink:

This is something I saw elsewhere and thought it was interesting after reading some of the answers.

I'll Start ….

Not spending enough time with my parents
Not telling the ones that I love how much I love them often
Not following my dream to become an Airline Pilot
Leaving the Silicon Valley in the late 80's when I was really good at Electrical Engineering :banghead:

There are more … but I have managed to do OK

Most regrets are about chances NOT taken, about words NOT Spoken, They are about dreams NEVER Pursued …. If you could erase these regrets and start with a new slate (every day is a new slate) ……. Do the things that you will NOT regret doing …. It's NEVER too late to make it happen.
:cheers:

shooter
01-28-2016, 10:00 PM
You know , I don't have any regrets. I've had a good career , several actually , I'm not rich but I've been able to afford the things I've wanted and I have a great family. I worked a lot of my life with my dad who I think was the best dad in the world. No , I've had a good life. A lot of adventures and a whole lot of fun. I'm just not the type of person that says "what if". Tony , sorry if this wasn't what you was looking for but I answered the question as it applied to me. Like I said , I always feel I've been lucky in life.

Phantom
01-28-2016, 10:38 PM
You know , I don't have any regrets. I've had a good career , several actually , I'm not rich but I've been able to afford the things I've wanted and I have a great family. I worked a lot of my life with my dad who I think was the best dad in the world. No , I've had a good life. A lot of adventures and a whole lot of fun. I'm just not the type of person that says "what if". Tony , sorry if this wasn't what you was looking for but I answered the question as it applied to me. Like I said , I always feel I've been lucky in life.

Bryan, there are no right or wrong answers. Just curious.

I grew up very poor, couldn't afford much. My parents instilled in me a work ethic that has allowed me a very good life. My careers have rewarded me nicely also. I still love parking by a large airport, watch the planes come and go and smell the jet fuel as I wonder what would have been……. I can fly a Piper Cherokee, but that isn't the same.

ths61
01-28-2016, 10:44 PM
Regret loosing my father early in life and not taking a job opportunity that would have bagged me $5 Million in less than 1 year.

shooter
01-28-2016, 10:51 PM
You know Tony I grew up in a blue collar family. We had a small farm , 30 acres. Man to me that place was paradise. We had a pond full of fish , woods full of squirrels and a few coveys of quail. I loved to hunt. Always had a nice quarter horse to ride , my dad trained cutting horses on the side. I just never required a whole lot outside that farm when I was young. Good times.

Old Ryder
01-28-2016, 10:59 PM
When things and times are going bad, my favorite saying is that I would not trade my life with anyone on this planet. I am 60 years old and in excellent health---have a wonderful family and more friends than I can even start to count---I cannot think of anything that I really need or want that I don't have. Oh yea, if I had a million dollars I would find things to buy but I am 60 lbs overweight on a planet that has a lot of starving people. The Bible tells me that I have a spectacular future and my best days are ahead of me. It is also study of the Bible that has prevented me having a lot of regrets. I have grew up with a lot of people who did not have good judgement and their answer would be a lot different.

I have made my share of mistakes and will continue to do so. I view mistakes as learning tools more than things to drag me down---or even dwell on.

My mother died when I was 44 and if I had to come up with something, I did not really appreciate her while she was here. I regret not telling her a lot of stuff that I want to now-----but I get that chance when I see her in the future, so that is not a real biggie.

Without getting specific, I will say that I have let some other humans to allow me to make a fool of myself and my major fault is that I am too trusting. Add that to taking too long in life to figure out that a job is not more important than being there when my daughter was born and that not everybody that smiles and shakes your hand is your friend.

Sorry if I am getting too deep----just a crazy old man reflecting on his time here..............................:old::301:

stroguy
01-28-2016, 11:43 PM
I'm not a regretful person, but I find myself a somewhat wanting person. My pops and I never had the greatest relationship, but I knew he loved me. Just from a different generation I guess. Now he is going downhill everyday. He knows the end is near, but it's too late, we are far away. I want my mother back as 57 is too soon to leave me.

But I really don't regret anything. It's a poker hand and we play it the best we can.

I'm glad of my career and that I was able to serve people, citizens.

MisterB
01-29-2016, 12:52 AM
My interpretation of regret is something you wish you would've done differently, so with that in mind I can't regret much before my children were born because any fundamental changes would've changed my life in ways that would prevent their birth. They are perfect and amazing and I'd happily skip the trip in the time machine back to when I was 24 or so to tell myself to not drink so much and invest a little money in a couple tech stocks.

Thinking of things that I regret since the birth of my kids; well there's a big one. I was moving a big metal desk out of my basement with an appliance dolly (small tires) and the rise of each step was a little higher than the center of the tire and the dolly had to lean almost parallel to the stairs because of a low bulkhead exit making it extremely heavy to lift. I didn't want to bother my wife to push from the bottom as she was watching the babies upstairs. This decision ruined my back.

To anyone who doesn't have a back injury please remember; just because you can lift something doesn't mean you should. It's easy to think that either you can lift something or you can't. That's a false dichotomy, a third option is that you can but will injure yourself. Easy to forget that one when you're young and indestructible.
That third option turns you into an old man real fast.

wjduke
01-29-2016, 05:35 AM
I have one major regret and that was marrying my second wife. Ruined me for many years and that happened in 86. I have a couple of what if's, maybe not regrets. What if I had stayed in the military...where would I be now? What if I got hooked up in the cable tv industry back in 1977 when I was in ND and had a chance to get in on the ground floor?

Bottom line is we are where are at this moment...decisions were made, good or bad.

willtill
01-29-2016, 06:14 AM
I have some regrets... but I don't want to fixate on looking in the rear view mirror constantly. :nono:

Nothing but forward from here on out. :yes: Everything has been working out pretty good to date. :icon_cool: Still breathing, functioning and alive. :icon_wink:

seadog
01-29-2016, 06:32 AM
Their just loose gear on the highway of life, you don't dwell on them because they do you no good. Put them aside and use the experience to move on in a more positive direction. There are things I wish I had done and things I wish I hadn't but the doing is what makes us what we are. You do the best with what you have and that should be enough to have a happy existence. Remember Life is a terminal illness, so use your time here to the best of your ability

Bob Penn
01-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Under my high school picture in the year book I wrote "Of such is life".
Now I can look back and remember how hard I cried after receiving the dear john letter when I was in the Nam, but now I smile at the thought of how fat she got and what it cost the guy who stole her away.
Yep, what you think are the disasters in your life turn out to be your blessings.

I spent most of my life free to follow my dreams. I snow skied most of Europe, a good part of Canada and all of America. I owned and ran a charter boat business for 36 years. Never got rich but I sure enjoyed my poverty from Montauk, NY to Key West FL.

Old Rider you have it right. I only wish I was able to find true friends. Looking back I was always the guy who provided the boat, the bait, and the fuel only to find the beer cooler empty and a boat to clean at the end of the day.

Last year what I thought to be friends stayed at my house for the deer season. I did all the cooking and providing and they left their rooms in shambles. This year when told of their coming I got to tell them they weren't invited. Again I smile.

My only regret is it took me 70 years to learn what little I know!

wjduke
01-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Under my high school picture in the year book I wrote "Of such is life".
Now I can look back and remember how hard I cried after receiving the dear john letter when I was in the Nam, but now I smile at the thought of how fat she got and what it cost the guy who stole her away.
Yep, what you think are the disasters in your life turn out to be your blessings.

I spent most of my life free to follow my dreams. I snow skied most of Europe, a good part of Canada and all of America. I owned and ran a charter boat business for 36 years. Never got rich but I sure enjoyed my poverty from Montauk, NY to Key West FL.

Old Rider you have it right. I only wish I was able to find true friends. Looking back I was always the guy who provided the boat, the bait, and the fuel only to find the beer cooler empty and a boat to clean at the end of the day.

Last year what I thought to be friends stayed at my house for the deer season. I did all the cooking and providing and they left their rooms in shambles. This year when told of their coming I got to tell them they weren't invited. Again I smile.

My only regret is it took me 70 years to learn what little I know!
Awesome...you just taught us a lot!

choptop
01-29-2016, 12:23 PM
Have been blessed w/good health, at 64 I am not on any meds, seems natural to me but pretty much unheard of by others, a good sense of humor and a good woman, was more of a spender than a saver so retirement will be a challenge, but it's all good. Have enough paid for toys to keep me busy and still have a bit of the boy left in me. lol
Only regret is that I was not their when my mother died, how many of us really have that opportunity, but it still bothers me. But life is good.

pdxstriper
01-29-2016, 02:54 PM
This holiday season as I sat next to my lovely wife of 36 years at the head of our dining room table, with 2 other tables butted up to it, as I looked down the table at my kids, grandkids, in-laws, nieces and nephews, I got this overwhelming feeling of complete pride and joy. Her and I are the matriarch and patriarch of this incredible crew.

Sure I have regrets, but they are insignificant compared to where I've landed in life. Sometimes I gotta remind myself of this.

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Brother and I met on bikes to ride to a family reunion a couple years ago. Brother wanted to trade bikes. He died on my bike that day. God, do I have regret.

But, I am grateful for my blessings. Cherish yours.
J

shooter
01-29-2016, 10:15 PM
Dirt that is one of the saddest things I've ever heard. Brother all I can say is my prayers go out to you and your family. Your brother is watching over you guys and I'm sure he's proud of you for continuing to ride and enjoy the wind in your face. Sorry for your loss.

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-29-2016, 10:39 PM
Dirt that is one of the saddest things I've ever heard. Brother all I can say is my prayers go out to you and your family. Your brother is watching over you guys and I'm sure he's proud of you for continuing to ride and enjoy the wind in your face. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks Shooter.
Maybe to heavy for some, for that I apologize.
Love those close to you, hard and often.

J

Phantom
01-29-2016, 10:47 PM
Brother and I met on bikes to ride to a family reunion a couple years ago. Brother wanted to trade bikes. He died on my bike that day. God, do I have regret.

But, I am grateful for my blessings. Cherish yours.
J

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, tragic to say the least.

However, You were a selfless person that day, your brother wanted something that you had, you didn't hesitate giving him your bike for him to enjoy, I bet he was smiling and grinning when he got on your bike and cranked the throttle. I'm sure that he was proud to be riding your bike. You my friend were the reason why he was enjoying that last ride here amongst us. You were not the cause of why God called his number. We can't control what may happen down the road or when our number is called, we just have to enjoy the ride and if it's a ride with my brother … nothing better then to spend time with family.

Steve 0080
01-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Ummm I have a regret or two most of us do. The thing I regret the most is the actions other people have taken that affected MY life. I have always had
a plan and if the ones around me were smart enough to just go along, I would be living a very different life. But then again God has a plan, he does not aways let us know his plans. Why someone is taken so early in life and why something else happens we may never know. It comes down to faith, that
what is, is what was supposed to happen.

Now for the past year or so I have given up on people saying they will be ready to do something, soon. For me the soon is now. I will not let people stop
me from my desires as I go forward. I go back to my old mantra, either participate or be a fan, either way I am going....

Threads like this can lead to some soul searching....make sure, before you act......

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-29-2016, 11:03 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, tragic to say the least.

However, You were a selfless person that day, your brother wanted something that you had, you didn't hesitate giving him your bike for him to enjoy, I bet he was smiling and grinning when he got on your bike and cranked the throttle. I'm sure that he was proud to be riding your bike. You my friend were the reason why he was enjoying that last ride here amongst us. You were not the cause of why God called his number. We can't control what may happen down the road or when our number is called, we just have to enjoy the ride and if it's a ride with my brother … nothing better then to spend time with family.

Thanks, Gentlemen

Bob Penn
01-31-2016, 12:50 PM
Ummm I have a regret or two most of us do. The thing I regret the most is the actions other people have taken that affected MY life. I have always had
a plan and if the ones around me were smart enough to just go along, I would be living a very different life. But then again God has a plan, he does not aways let us know his plans. Why someone is taken so early in life and why something else happens we may never know. It comes down to faith, that
what is, is what was supposed to happen.

Now for the past year or so I have given up on people saying they will be ready to do something, soon. For me the soon is now. I will not let people stop
me from my desires as I go forward. I go back to my old mantra, either participate or be a fan, either way I am going....

Threads like this can lead to some soul searching....make sure, before you act......

I stated earlier I used to run my Charter boat from my northern berth to Key West Fl. every year. During the summer season I'd have 5 to 10 friends tell me they wanted to make the trip down with me. But even though I offered to pay all expenses, every year, save but one, I'd look down into the cockpit when casting off and no one was ever there to help. I'd still make the 1800 mile trip down and back single handed.
Nothing changes. Even as I write this I'm laying plans to ride down to Daytona for bike week. None of my riding buddies can or are willing to make the trip. My choice is to cancel my trip or go it alone.
Heck you know weather permitting I'm going! Even at 70 I'd rather live my life then ever feel the feeling of regret over what I should have done.
I'll smile all the way down and back