PDA

View Full Version : Winter Riding Limits?

fxdl2051
01-31-2016, 02:43 AM
I'm just wondering, what's the coldest weather you'll ride in and and how do you make it work for you?

'nother unrelated question, anyone know the best cold weather gear for working in northern Alaska, got a possible contract up there?

3Chief
01-31-2016, 04:11 AM
I been caught in the teens on the bike before... Generally I call it at 25 degrees or actively snowing...You need to dress appropriately and heated gear makes a difference. I don't think there's one thing that works for everyone. I've had really good luck with FirstGear jackets, pants and gloves, but I'm also good for 45 or so in my leather with either the liner or a sweat shirt. As long as I keep my hands warm/dry I'm happy :icon_mrgreen:

Marauderm
01-31-2016, 04:17 AM
Any colder and my legs start to suffer from frigid up drafts.

wjduke
01-31-2016, 05:49 AM
I'm headed out today. I don't have heated gear, so when it's below 40, it's too cold for me. Was supposed to hit 50, now saying 45.

I wear two tee's, one long sleeve, one short...long john's, jeans...a regular riding jacket with liner...I have Icon winter gloves, but maybe just leather gloves, I'll see how it is...regular riding boots. Feet haven't gotten cold yet. I will have neck protection too. If I start to get cold after that, time to go home. Hope to do 100 miles...I'll be happy.

Jimmytee
01-31-2016, 06:32 AM
I've ridden below zero, but I was younger and dumber. Until Christmas 2014, thermal/long underwear and leathers. Layers basically. Christmas 2014, my sweetie got me a full (from my feet to my upper body) electric gear from 1st Gear. Now I'm spoiled.:icon_wink:
Generally don't ride too often below 35-40 degrees F. However, lower temps won't keep me from riding. Usually a few times over the winter will start off in the 20s. Heated gear is where it's at for me. I can adjust how much heat I want with dual contol ( separate control for upper and lower body). It takes the chill away from what would otherwise just be a tolerated comfort level, if that makes sense. Gives me a soothing heated comfort.

GNW
01-31-2016, 07:14 AM
Love to ride, but not a sucker for punishment anymore. Why be miserable.
50 degrees lowest temp to start out and hoping for a heat wave by days end.

wjduke
01-31-2016, 07:53 AM

Can't have those rules and ride much up here! :icon_biggrin:

DMAGOLDRDR
01-31-2016, 08:05 AM
I'll be heading out in a few minutes here in CT. It is 28 deg at 8am but will warm up into the 40s. I have heated gear (vest, gloves and pants) so I am comfortable and can ride all day.
Good gear, heated or otherwise, can be costly but well worth it if this is what you like to do. I ride every Sunday usually putting on a couple hundred miles as long as the roads are snow and ice free but now in my later 50s I have put a 25deg limit.
With heated gear I only wear a t-shirt, heated vest and Tourmaster Jett jacket, then regular jeans and heated pants with silk and woll socks over good waterproof boots. and then heated gloves keep my fingers warm.

Total cost of all my heated gear is just part of my motorcycle life style, I see guys spend $1500 on chrome wheels and have frozen fingers because thay don't want to "waste" money on good gear.

I spent most my money on Women and Motorcycles, the rest I just wasted.

Monk
01-31-2016, 10:36 AM
I think it depends a lot on where you live. In Arkansas, I can usually count on a few nice days during the winter and can wait until one comes along. For Example, Friday it was 68 degrees here!! :banana:

When things get cold and those days don't come along, then sunny with temps in the 40's or higher will work. We get a lot of those here, even when we are having a cold winter. :icon_lol:

If I lived farther north, then I would have to modify that some and break out the heated gear!! :yes:

Necanefan
01-31-2016, 10:46 AM
I've ridden across country in temps as low as 17 degrees. As long as the roads are dry and safe, I'm very comfortable when wearing the proper gear. Heated jacket liner, heated grips and/or heated gloves, heated socks and a full face helmet.
I bought my first heated gear about 5 years ago (still using that set) and it instantly changed my outlook on cold weather riding. I don't like to ride short distances in cold weather, but going on a tour in the cold is a non-issue.

-Jeff

JackB
01-31-2016, 11:19 AM
About 25 degrees was my limit for my 10 mile ride to work when I had my Valkyrie.
My legs would always be the coldest part but I wasn't dress for cold weather I was wearing blue jeans for work.

grendl
01-31-2016, 11:57 AM
A lot depends on my mood. I will generally limit it to about 40 degrees as winter sets in. Here we use sand and a chemical when it snows. Once that happens you have to be concerned not only being too cold,but the residue in the road. So for noe ,my bike sits with Sea foam in the tank and a battery charger monitoring .I'm dying here...

opas ride
01-31-2016, 11:58 AM

+1 on the above...At 76 years old I ride for enjoyment not punishment...Riding in cold or raining weather is not my "cup of tea"....Ride safe

willtill
01-31-2016, 12:10 PM
A lot depends on my mood. I will generally limit it to about 40 degrees as winter sets in. Here we use sand and a chemical when it snows. Once that happens you have to be concerned not only being too cold,but the residue in the road. So for noe ,my bike sits with Sea foam in the tank and a battery charger monitoring .I'm dying here...

Same here. The PMS is very strong right now.... :icon_frown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dExI1ihXwq4

Miks
01-31-2016, 01:20 PM
I typically draw the line at 50 degrees for what I consider a comfortable temperature to be out on the bike. With the F6B you get good wind protection on the legs, which is a big deal when you consider how to keep your core temperature normal.

For many years, I owned BMW motorcycles, and wore a heated vest. My K75Rt protected your legs, feet, and with the electric windshield, you didn't have a lot of air movement going across you. With just heated grips and a heated vest, I would do 200 mile days in the middle of winter...cars looking at me as the snow piled up in the ditches along the highways, never saw a Harley out on January days with highs in the low 30's when I was riding.

Over the years I purchased heated jackets that included the sleeves that provided warmth. For many years I was satisfied, but a few years ago I purchased the heated pants...which makes the heated jacket almost unnecessary at times. I decided to go full krackers and bought heated socks also, which meant anything above 35 degrees, you could ride a long way. Took the bike out yesterday, was 39 degrees with no sun showing due to overcast skies, and without a doubt, I could have ridden 500 miles.

This fall I went for a motorcycle ride with my college roommate who owns a 2015 Indian Chieftain. His legs our out in the wind, while I wore everything electrical I could plug in. Temperature was 40 degrees in fog, I was doing just fine although I was looking forward to the high of 65 like they had forecasted. Although he had multiple layers of clothing, about an hour out he was in tough shape and considered turning around. Had him put his rain pants on and hug the engine to keep as much heat as he could directed toward his body. We managed to get into the sunshine, which although not much warmer, made the trip feel a lot more comfortable.

There are some who take cold weather very well, then there is me :icon_biggrin: I don't like to be cold, so for the most part, I will take all the electronic gear I can buy, and don't like doing that much riding below 50 degrees.

BEIST
01-31-2016, 02:49 PM
Concerning your cold weather question = I recently bought Carhartt Arctic Coveralls and could not be happier with their product. I keep them hanging out in the garage = just pull up three zippers and I am ready to ride. I have tested them while doing some extended riding, in below 30 degree temperatures, and honestly wanted to continue riding. If you watch any of those Alaskan Survivor type shows you will see guys wearing these outfits on their snow mobiles. I have actually had to unzip the front just to release extra body heat.

http://carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-bibs-coveralls-overalls/Extremes-Coverall-Arctic-Quilt-Lined-X06

Plus, you don't need to rely on my advice alone; simply read the product reviews from all the guys up north.
Edit: After submitting this post I went to the Carhartt site and added my own product review. That's how much I now appreciate the quality of this product. :clap2:

willtill
01-31-2016, 05:35 PM
Concerning your cold weather question = I recently bought Carhartt Arctic Coveralls and could not be happier with their product. I keep them hanging out in the garage = just pull up three zippers and I am ready to ride. I have tested them while doing some extended riding, in below 30 degree temperatures, and honestly wanted to continue riding. If you watch any of those Alaskan Survivor type shows you will see guys wearing these outfits on their snow mobiles. I have actually had to unzip the front just to release extra body heat.

http://carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-bibs-coveralls-overalls/Extremes-Coverall-Arctic-Quilt-Lined-X06

Plus, you don't need to rely on my advice alone; simply read the product reviews from all the guys up north.
Edit: After submitting this post I went to the Carhartt site and added my own product review. That's how much I now appreciate the quality of this product. :clap2:

Carhartt is good clothing. The coveralls do not have the extended sleeve length though; that motorcycle jackets normally have.

How do you compensate that; with a disappearing sleeve length wearing those coveralls when you extend your arms out to the bars? Gauntlet type gloves?

If so... what kind?

Btw.. I am a proponent of Gerbings heated gear myself. But the insulated coverall solution intrigues me.

Looking forward to comments.

Cool Hand Luke
01-31-2016, 06:43 PM
I have been using Gerbing heated jacket liner for years with great results. I put over it Joe Rocket jacket and it feels great into 30's. I also have heated gloves, but I found them warm enough just the gloves alone, I rarely turn the heat on.

I am thinking of getting heated insoles and heated pant liners as well. Cyclegear seems to have good selection and prices on heated clothing.

In cold I also wear 3/4 helmet with face shield with leather/fleece neck/face cover.

I don't really ride in colder weather below 30's because living in Southeast it's not very often this cold and I'm also afraid of black ice.

MisterB
01-31-2016, 11:25 PM
I see guys spend $1500 on chrome wheels and have frozen fingers because thay don't want to "waste" money on good gear.
I spent most my money on Women and Motorcycles, the rest I just wasted.

Big LOL on both of those statements!

BEIST
01-31-2016, 11:59 PM
Carhartt is good clothing. The coveralls do not have the extended sleeve length though; that motorcycle jackets normally have.

How do you compensate that; with a disappearing sleeve length wearing those coveralls when you extend your arms out to the bars? Gauntlet type gloves?

If so... what kind?

Btw.. I am a proponent of Gerbings heated gear myself. But the insulated coverall solution intrigues me.

Carhartt offers a couple different styles of extreme weather gloves but I went with a pair of Joe Rocket Subzero Waterproof Gauntlet style gloves because they were only $30 bucks. They match the coveralls and pull easily over the sleeves. I would recommend this setup to anybody who desires a quick and easy cold weather solution. Again, one of the best advantages of this outfit is the simplicity. Three zippers and you're "in & out."

willtill
02-01-2016, 06:50 AM
Carhartt offers a couple different styles of extreme weather gloves but I went with a pair of Joe Rocket Subzero Waterproof Gauntlet style gloves because they were only $30 bucks. They match the coveralls and pull easily over the sleeves. I would recommend this setup to anybody who desires a quick and easy cold weather solution. Again, one of the best advantages of this outfit is the simplicity. Three zippers and you're "in & out."

:yes:

Thanks

GaTeach
02-01-2016, 07:15 AM
Before I got Sweet Georgia, I plugged in at any temp below 70!!!! :) The fairing makes a huge difference and now I'm plugging in below 50.

I have Gerbing jacket liner, gloves, dual controller but I can't really feel the heat anymore around 20. Luckily I don't ride often in 20 degree weather.

Heated gear is the best thing ever. Totally changed my riding experience.

DaWadd
02-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Don't enjoy riding in the cold much anymore. As far as your question about workwear, I worked outside for 38 years in some very cold conditions up here and found Helly Hansen and Carrhart make the best cold weather work gear. Just layer your base clothes and I found I could handle most conditions.

fxdl2051
02-01-2016, 11:48 PM

If so... what kind?

Thanks will check it out, if I take the contract in Barrow, I'll need something good to -10 or -20 F.

moe113097
02-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Road this past weekend from South Florida to Atlanta and back, went for dinner Saturday night , return ride was 41 degrees dressed for it was actually better than expected, only part that was cold were my feet next time may consider electric socks. on the bright side this was the first time I did not sweat my ass off on this run :)

Moe

radi0chik
02-05-2016, 04:32 PM
I much prefer riding in cold, than the 110F+ Texas summers we have here. Stop and go riding in those temps on asphalt makes for heat stroke really fast.

I'd ride my VTX650 with no windshield down to about freezing. This bike is so warm with the faring, I would ride a lot colder temps. I've been to upper 20s on it so far with no problems. If there's precip (ice) I won't ride, but that's more about the traction than the cold. It rarely gets down below 20F here in Texas, but if it does, I'll be sure to post how well I fare :)

My F6 is my daily "driver" (rider) to work and back....hour trip one day. As long as I have gloves and a good jacket, and my chaps, I'm good to go!

Big Cat
02-05-2016, 06:44 PM
We do an annual New Year's Day ride with some friends in Tennessee, meet for lunch at Cumberland Falls State Park up near Parkers Lake, KY. It's 221 miles each way. I have ridden this ride as cold as 12 degrees, and as long as I have dry roads and my Gerbings electric gear, I'm good to go. By Gerbings, I mean heated jacket, gloves, pants and socks.

That said, I'm not much for riding if my 50:50 criteria are violated...if it's under 50 degrees and more than a 50% probability of precipitation, I may not go...unless there's a real good reason.

I have had some experience riding in inclement weather, and I had the "ride from hell" last year, when I rode out to Death Valley this time last year. Made it out there OK, all the way on I-40. Had a few sphincter moments in snow squalls through Oklahoma and Texas, some ice spots through Albuquerque, but all in all, made it out there OK. Of course, the weather in Death Valley is to die for in February.

The problem was getting back. I won't speak for anyone but me, but my decision to go cross-country in February wasn't all that bright.

I made it back as far as Little Rock, AR, which is 350 miles from Nashville. I had plans to stay the night with good friends, which was a good thing, because a huge ice storm was moving toward Nashville. My night with friends turned into four nights, as we helplessly watched the storm slowly bear down on Nashville. All I needed was for the temps to get above freezing, and I could make it home!

Well, the 5th day was Saturday, and the temps in Little Rock and along the route home were forecasted to climb into the upper 30s. Unfortunately, it was raining quite steadily, but I went ahead and left...again, not the brightest decision I've ever made.

That 350 mile ride took me all day, and it was the most miserable day of riding I've ever had. Soaked to the core, even my waterproof Klim gear eventually succumbed to the constant pouring rain. The Gerbings worked, but I still got cold on account of being soaked. Oh, and did I mention the reassuring signs along I-40, advising me to "Watch out for ice on road"...I remember praying, God, if you'll just let me get home in one piece, I'll never do this again!

I made it to Nashville, but the last 3 or 4 miles from I-40 to my house was even worse. Lots of ice on the roads still, I had to keep my wheels in the ruts that had been made by car tires. My driveway, which is a slight uphill incline, was covered in over an inch of solid ice. I pointed the Goldwing into the front yard and somehow managed to stay upright and into the garage.

It took me an hour in the steam shower to thaw out.

So, I know that was a lot more information than the OP asked for, but I wanted to share that story in case some other fool wants to do what I did. But for the grace of God, I should have slid off the road somewhere between Little Rock and Nashville.

Under dry conditions, cold weather riding can be managed, but this time of year the weather around here can change quickly and catch you riding in very dangerous conditions.

One more way to tell your decision isn't very bright is when you see no motorcycles on the road between Flagstaff and Nashville...

Phantom
02-05-2016, 06:56 PM
That said, I'm not much for riding if my 50:50 criteria are violated...if it's under 50 degrees and more than a 50% probability of precipitation, I may not go...unless there's a real good reason.

Same here :icon_cool::yes:

Sorry to hear about your experience, Thanks for sharing.
Wet and cold just isn't enjoyable anymore … unless its a Glass of good Red wine :drunk:

willtill
02-05-2016, 08:59 PM
We do an annual New Year's Day ride with some friends in Tennessee, meet for lunch at Cumberland Falls State Park up near Parkers Lake, KY. It's 221 miles each way. I have ridden this ride as cold as 12 degrees, and as long as I have dry roads and my Gerbings electric gear, I'm good to go. By Gerbings, I mean heated jacket, gloves, pants and socks.

I have had some experience riding in inclement weather, and I had the "ride from hell" last year, when I rode out to Death Valley this time last year. Made it out there OK, all the way on I-40. Had a few sphincter moments in snow squalls through Oklahoma and Texas, some ice spots through Albuquerque, but all in all, made it out there OK. Of course, the weather in Death Valley is to die for in February.

The problem was getting back. I won't speak for anyone but me, but my decision to go cross-country in February wasn't all that bright.

I made it back as far as Little Rock, AR, which is 350 miles from Nashville. I had plans to stay the night with good friends, which was a good thing, because a huge ice storm was moving toward Nashville. My night with friends turned into four nights, as we helplessly watched the storm slowly bear down on Nashville. All I needed was for the temps to get above freezing, and I could make it home!

Well, the 5th day was Saturday, and the temps in Little Rock and along the route home were forecasted to climb into the upper 30s. Unfortunately, it was raining quite steadily, but I went ahead and left...again, not the brightest decision I've ever made.

That 350 mile ride took me all day, and it was the most miserable day of riding I've ever had. Soaked to the core, even my waterproof Klim gear eventually succumbed to the constant pouring rain. The Gerbings worked, but I still got cold on account of being soaked. Oh, and did I mention the reassuring signs along I-40, advising me to "Watch out for ice on road"...I remember praying, God, if you'll just let me get home in one piece, I'll never do this again!

I made it to Nashville, but the last 3 or 4 miles from I-40 to my house was even worse. Lots of ice on the roads still, I had to keep my wheels in the ruts that had been made by car tires. My driveway, which is a slight uphill incline, was covered in over an inch of solid ice. I pointed the Goldwing into the front yard and somehow managed to stay upright and into the garage.

It took me an hour in the steam shower to thaw out.

So, I know that was a lot more information than the OP asked for, but I wanted to share that story in case some other fool wants to do what I did. But for the grace of God, I should have slid off the road somewhere between Little Rock and Nashville.

Under dry conditions, cold weather riding can be managed, but this time of year the weather around here can change quickly and catch you riding in very dangerous conditions.

One more way to tell your decision isn't very bright is when you see no motorcycles on the road between Flagstaff and Nashville...

That was one hell of a ride Big Cat. And a good story. :popcorn:

In the modern day... motorcycles are an iron horse (..am fondly thinking of times past with a beast)

Certainly a living, breathing horse may have gotten through such austere conditions better. More sure footed. And it doesn't exceed 35mph...

It is quite an accomplishment to best the austere elements on an iron horse today... and live to tell about it.

My hat is off to you Sir. :yes:

ISLANDER1089
02-26-2017, 12:40 PM
I just ordered the Tour Master Synergy 2.0 gloves, pant and jacket liners. They are currently on closeout but very highly rated by their reviewers. I haven't had a chance to try them as my private road is still covered in ice and snow. I'm planning a ride to Alaska this summer so I knew that heated gear was going to be an essential piece of clothing.

D-Train
02-26-2017, 01:38 PM

That used to be my golden rule too, that is, until I got the F6B. Then I did my first ride and it was in the low 40's. I thought my neck would get cold but I mrode with my full face helmets face shield open and never got cold! This bike blocks wind so well I can ride in really cold weather now. Rode yesterday and it was in the 30's and was still not cold, face shield open again. Just cruising around city streets, maybe 50mph tops. Don't know about 70-80mph yet, and will be replacing my windshield today so we'll see if that changes or not. I'm replacing the ugly Wind Bender that came on my used bike with a Klockwerks 14" dark tint today. Stay tuned.

six2go
02-27-2017, 06:42 PM
I don't have the desire or need to ride in the Winter. My bike goes into storage on Thanksgiving weekend(normally)and comes out in early March, although this year is a bit different. With a week of 60's in mid February, I have been out for about 500 miles so far. I have a car with a real good heater for the rest of the Winter."coffee"

wjduke
02-28-2017, 05:24 AM
I can honestly say, I've ridden my bike in each month I've owned it, dating to November 5th, 2015. That includes two winters now. I just squeaked in this month last weekend. Got two rides in. I have my limits though....40 has been the lowest so far.

Bob Penn
02-28-2017, 06:39 AM
Winter is why God made beds! Even a chipmunk knows that. Most intelligent animals stay in their's until they feel the warmth of spring thus ending hibernation.

On the other hand motorcyclist seem to start riding when a gizmo called a thermometer starts reading 45 - 50 unless of course they are retired. Then evolution takes over and intelligence dictates comfort's priority.

As for me :asleep:

53driver
02-28-2017, 10:10 AM
I can honestly say, I've ridden my bike in each month I've owned it, dating to November 5th, 2015. That includes two winters now. I just squeaked in this month last weekend. Got two rides in. I have my limits though....40 has been the lowest so far.

'Twas 35 when I left NW Georgia yesterday morning.
Got rained on in Montgomery at 55-60 degrees.
Hit 77 and sunny when I got to mid-south Alabama.

Moral: ride south!

wjduke
02-28-2017, 10:19 AM
'Twas 35 when I left NW Georgia yesterday morning.
Got rained on in Montgomery at 55-60 degrees.
Hit 77 and sunny when I got to mid-south Alabama.

Moral: ride south!

Hope you touched base with teach...she finds out you were up there, you're in trouble. Let's see, I have her number right here.... :)

53driver
02-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Hope you touched base with teach...she finds out you were up there, you're in trouble. Let's see, I have her number right here.... :)

GaTeach...she's over on the east side of Atlanta. We were NNW.
Miss her posts...but when her mind is made up, that's the end of that story.
Y'all still best buddies? Looked good in those pics on FB...lol.

I got her number somewhere, I really should see how she's doing and let her know about the Rally - damn near in her backyard.
Maybe she'll help me recon a few routes for the Rally Rides.

Cheers,
Steve

wjduke
02-28-2017, 10:44 AM
GaTeach...she's over on the east side of Atlanta. We were NNW.
Miss her posts...but when her mind is made up, that's the end of that story.
Y'all still best buddies? Looked good in those pics on FB...lol.

I got her number somewhere, I really should see how she's doing and let her know about the Rally - damn near in her backyard.
Maybe she'll help me recon a few routes for the Rally Rides.

Cheers,
Steve

You got me there...have to brush up on my directions. I mentioned the rally to her. She feels that Pigeon Forge is the toilet of the Smokies. She wouldn't take me there when I was down there last year. I wouldn't count her being there, but you never know I guess. We chat and text still.

53driver
02-28-2017, 10:53 AM
You got me there...have to brush up on my directions. I mentioned the rally to her. She feels that Pigeon Forge is the toilet of the Smokies. She wouldn't take me there when I was down there last year. I wouldn't count her being there, but you never know I guess. We chat and text still.

It is more than a bit touristy.
My goal is to find rides that take us away from the touristy things.
Maybe she can help there.

I'll shoot her a text today and see if she'll help this poor, old, tired Marine.
She has a weakness for Marines I'm told. Lol.

Cheers,
Steve

wjduke
02-28-2017, 11:45 AM
It is more than a bit touristy.
My goal is to find rides that take us away from the touristy things.
Maybe she can help there.

I'll shoot her a text today and see if she'll help this poor, old, tired Marine.
She has a weakness for Marines I'm told. Lol.

Cheers,
Steve

She loves you....do it

53driver
02-28-2017, 03:22 PM
She loves you....do it

Awww. Not sure if I want to know how you know that, but I've been told I'm very lovable.

Sending text....with hearts and flowers...lol.

wjduke
02-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Awww. Not sure if I want to know how you know that, but I've been told I'm very lovable.

Sending text....with hearts and flowers...lol.

She's told me many times, that's how! :)