PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 660LM and 590LM owners

SimonTemplar
01-31-2016, 03:01 AM
Been shopping both these units. Started with the expectation of getting the 660...but have been lately considering dropping the extra scratch for the 590.

Anyway.....
I've been investigating various mountings. Pretty much know where I'm mounting...still working on the 'how' details. I know the 590 (and possibly the 660 as well?) come with both a bike mounting cradle and a car mounting cradle. My question is...the snap-lock ball on the car plate....is that the 'Garmin G ball'? Numerous Ram Mounts quote a 'Garmin G-ball' but don't really give any other information. The Garmin site hasn't helped much either.

....sT

ths61
01-31-2016, 03:17 AM
What is the 589LM ? Do you mean the 590LM ?

SimonTemplar
01-31-2016, 03:24 AM
What is the 589LM ? Do you mean the 590LM ?

Aaack!! Where'd I get '589' from? Must've had other things on my mind at the time.

YES.....I meant the 590LM

(guess I picked the wrong week to give up scotch)

....sT

....edit being done as we speak....

pdxstriper
01-31-2016, 03:28 AM
My favorite mounting method is to use a brake/clutch reservoir cover ball mount. It gets the Garmin unit high and forward, therefore close to your line of sight.

choptop
01-31-2016, 08:06 AM
Been looking at the 590 myself. Gps was very important and used most everyday when I worked, 3 weeks into retirement and havn't touched one. The bunch that I ride with, when it isn't winter, has someone leading a ride and I just follow, but I am planning on getting out and exploring more on my own this summer and a good gps would be nice. Will be following this to see where it goes or will it get lost among the threads.:icon_wink::icon_wink:

SoCal Rich
01-31-2016, 12:03 PM
I recommend this one from Motorcycle Larry. Com. I have it, and it is very finely made. http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=8&zenid=9nf8erv724ah30d62e4lgmtis4

I have the single post mount, positioned to the right. Black matte finish

ths61
01-31-2016, 07:12 PM
Here are some console mounts to peruse.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3235-Installed-Zumo-590LM-on-center-console

GiddyupF6B
01-31-2016, 07:45 PM
I have the 660 mounted dead center in the middle of the dash under the windshield, it's an awesome unit! I got the Kradlelok for it with a locking ram mount ball...it hasn't been off my bike in over a year.

SimonTemplar
02-01-2016, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the responses, guys. However, I already know where I intend to mount. Mounting spot was not my question.

My question is....

In looking around the various mount hardware on the RAM site, I see mention of the 'Garmin G-ball'. Is that the snap-link ball size used on the 590 (and I believe also the 660) car cradles?

What size ball IS it that is used on the car cradles? (yes, I know, I could just measure it. But...I've not purchased the unit as yet so I am doing this in the blind so's to speak.)

Many thanks!

....sT

ths61
02-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Here is one other mount idea to consider. It is a vertical mount that does not use a horizontal plate. It appears to be very solid and only requires a hole in the small ignition cover bezel.

DMAGOLDRDR
02-16-2016, 04:04 PM
I have had my 660 for a few years and I am very happy with the features. If I were to do it again I may go for the 590 for the TPMS addition.
I use the motorcycle mount that came with it and use a regular RAM ball mount on the bike.

Delta
02-19-2016, 11:35 AM
I have had my 660 for a few years and I am very happy with the features. If I were to do it again I may go for the 590 for the TPMS addition.
I use the motorcycle mount that came with it and use a regular RAM ball mount on the bike.

Where did you tap into for power; and, is it switched or unswitched. On a previous HD, I mounted the cradle to the fairing and it went with the bike when I sold it. I have to get another cradle and harness. Might attempt an electrical quick disconnect so I can remove the cradle. You never know when someone decides they need it more than you.

Steve 0080
02-19-2016, 02:58 PM
I have the 660 mounted dead center in the middle of the dash under the windshield, it's an awesome unit! I got the Kradlelok for it with a locking ram mount ball...it hasn't been off my bike in over a year.

Who makes the Kradlelok ??? please also send a link to my PM ALSO.... thanks !

faz
02-19-2016, 03:27 PM
is this it? http://www.kradellock.com/

Steve 0080
02-19-2016, 04:10 PM
Thanks....got it...my work PC blocks these type of look ups.....

Does it use a key ?

DMAGOLDRDR
02-19-2016, 08:52 PM
Where did you tap into for power; and, is it switched or unswitched. On a previous HD, I mounted the cradle to the fairing and it went with the bike when I sold it. I have to get another cradle and harness. Might attempt an electrical quick disconnect so I can remove the cradle. You never know when someone decides they need it more than you.

I have the Motorcycle mount with integrated power cable and mounting hardware that came from Garmin with the 660. Also a RAM mount and home made mount on the handle bar.
I picked up a second cradle for my other bike at.....

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-660-and-665-motorcycle-cradle-with-integrated-power-cable.html

Both bikes are wired to the acc terminal in the fuse box and turn off with the key.

Steve 0080
02-19-2016, 11:36 PM
I am looking at the Garmin 660...time to trade in the 550...I currently run a Touratech locking mount made from SS.... $189.... The Karadellock for
$125.... not sure which way I would go.... thinking back to the Touratech...

I have requested some better pics about the Kradellock unit...will see...

DMAGOLDRDR
02-20-2016, 08:09 AM
I am looking at the Garmin 660...time to trade in the 550...I currently run a Touratech locking mount made from SS.... $189.... The Karadellock for
$125.... not sure which way I would go.... thinking back to the Touratech...
I have requested some better pics about the Kradellock unit...will see...

I am curious Steve, is that you want to leave the GPS on the bike when you are not around ? The Cradle from Garmin that comes with the 660 is a quick release and I just toss the GPS in a saddlebag. In fact if I have popped the GPS off and put it in the Cubby before I even come to a stop if I am pulling into a crowded area and don't want anyone to see what I am doing.
Also if you use a RAM mount, then you need their locking Knob otherwise someone just loosens the mount and walks off with the entire setup.

If you look close you will see the Cradle with the (also included ) Cradle cover.

Hornblower
02-20-2016, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the responses, guys. However, I already know where I intend to mount. Mounting spot was not my question.

My question is....

In looking around the various mount hardware on the RAM site, I see mention of the 'Garmin G-ball'. Is that the snap-link ball size used on the 590 (and I believe also the 660) car cradles?

What size ball IS it that is used on the car cradles? (yes, I know, I could just measure it. But...I've not purchased the unit as yet so I am doing this in the blind so's to speak.)

Many thanks!

....sT

Not sure if anyone has directly answered your question yet...the mounting kit that came with my Zumo 665 accepts a 1" ball. This is a standard RAM ball. With that, you can use any RAM mount style you like. I previously mounted mine on the left handlebar at the clutch but since have moved everything off the bars to a "farkle" shelf. It sure is nice to have everything off my bars :icon_biggrin:.

Delta
02-20-2016, 02:18 PM
I have the Motorcycle mount with integrated power cable and mounting hardware that came from Garmin with the 660. Also a RAM mount and home made mount on the handle bar.
I picked up a second cradle for my other bike at.....

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-660-and-665-motorcycle-cradle-with-integrated-power-cable.html

Both bikes are wired to the acc terminal in the fuse box and turn off with the key.

Thanx. I'm probably going with the motorcycle larry clutch reservoir cover ram mount. For years I have always had a gps mounted on the left side. Is yours plugged into the bikes speakers with the cable in the l/s cubby box so you can listen via Aux?

DMAGOLDRDR
02-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanx. I'm probably going with the motorcycle larry clutch reservoir cover ram mount. For years I have always had a gps mounted on the left side. Is yours plugged into the bikes speakers with the cable in the l/s cubby box so you can listen via Aux?

I wired the GPS into the AUX and "could" listen to directions or music stored in the GPS thru either the Bike speakers or my Helmet speakers.....BUT....I have all sounds turned off on my GPS. I use my GPS as a scrolling map and just keep an eye on where I am and where I'm going. I really don't like the voice commands.

SimonTemplar
02-21-2016, 02:28 AM
Not sure if anyone has directly answered your question yet...the mounting kit that came with my Zumo 665 accepts a 1" ball. This is a standard RAM ball. With that, you can use any RAM mount style you like. I previously mounted mine on the left handlebar at the clutch but since have moved everything off the bars to a "farkle" shelf. It sure is nice to have everything off my bars :icon_biggrin:.

Ken, thanks for the response. Since starting this thread, I have finally broken down and picked up a 590LM.

The bike cradle that comes with the 590 is designed to be attached to the (included) Ram 1" ball mount....or to any other Ram 1" ball plate mount you might want to mate it with (AMPS hole pattern).

Of course, the 590's also come with the Ram handlebar mount (a non-starter concept for me...but I've got one now should I ever change my mind...or my ride) and a car cradle with the Garmin suction cup mount. The suction cup windshield mount seems to be the standard issue mount which has come on every StreetPilot, Nuvi, and Zumo I've ever purchased (that number being something close to an even dozen now...a few more and I can start a museum).

For anyone who might have been following the original question which started us all down this road.....the "Garmin G-Ball" apparently IS the smaller sized ball which is on the suction cup windshield mounts and which snaps into the ball socket on the back of the car cradle. (Garmin calls the arrangement 'Snap-Lock'.)

....sT