PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Mid rider seat question

willtill
02-01-2016, 04:26 PM
My personal physical dimensions indicate that I am a candidate for the Mid rider seat; that is made by Ultimate seats.

Their website states that it will sit you a little closer than the stock F6B seat?

Can anyone define exactly how much close you are moved forward; from the stock seat position? I need to know exactly what "a little closer" actually means.

I don't want to develop into a "praying mantis" with the seating position of the Midrider seat; if that is the case....

six2go
02-01-2016, 07:11 PM
My personal physical dimensions indicate that I am a candidate for the Mid rider seat; that is made by Ultimate seats.

Their website states that it will sit you a little closer than the stock F6B seat?

Can anyone define exactly how much close you are moved forward; from the stock seat position? I need to know exactly what "a little closer" actually means.

I don't want to develop into a "praying mantis" with the seating position of the Midrider seat; if that is the case....I've been trying to find out the same thing. I emailed Des at Ultimate and even his explanation didn't really clear it up. From what he said, it sounds as if the "step up" to the passenger section is more vertical than stock. In that case, you/I would only be able to sit back as far as that seam across the bottom of that step on the OEM. I don't really want my arms bent any more that they are now. I tried some up & back risers from MBL and that was too much. I felt like a dog sitting up and begging. I may try the Mid Rider, but I'm going to wait until I get the bike out from storage so I can use the "Buy Back" if needed.
If you get one first, let us know.

willtill
02-01-2016, 07:21 PM
I've been trying to find out the same thing. I emailed Des at Ultimate and even his explanation didn't really clear it up. From what he said, it sounds as if the "step up" to the passenger section is more vertical than stock. In that case, you/I would only be able to sit back as far as that seam across the bottom of that step on the OEM. I don't really want my arms bent any more that they are now. I tried some up & back risers from MBL and that was too much. I felt like a dog sitting up and begging. I may try the Mid Rider, but I'm going to wait until I get the bike out from storage so I can use the "Buy Back" if needed.
If you get one first, let us know.

Hi Six2go,

Much of what you wrote after contacting Des is exactly my quandary. I want to get the Mid Rider myself... but due to the snow/salt up here at the moment; I wouldn't be able to test it/return it in the 2 week period that they allow.

Have been searching the Internet for pictures of the Mid Rider on a F6B but am coming up with zero results.

If what you say is true of the Mid Rider (what I highlighted in bold in your post) then I "think" it will work for me; since I am not fully compressed into the beginning of the passenger section of the stock OEM seat.

six2go
02-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Hi Six2go,

Much of what you wrote after contacting Des is exactly my quandary. I want to get the Mid Rider myself... but due to the snow/salt up here at the moment; I wouldn't be able to test it/return it in the 2 week period that they allow.

Have been searching the Internet for pictures of the Mid Rider on a F6B but am coming up with zero results.

If what you say is true of the Mid Rider (what I highlighted in bold in your post) then I "think" it will work for me; since I am not fully compressed into the beginning of the passenger section of the stock OEM seat.willtill, I'm kinda thinking along with ya on that. I haven't seen my bike since the 1st of Dec. as it's under cover for the Winter. I may have to just go out to the garage & pull the cover and find something that I can have my wife position on that seam and hold it almost vertical so I can see how much pressure I apply with my butt. Like you, I don't think I'm all the way into the rise but I'd have to do a refresher.

willtill
02-02-2016, 06:46 AM
If anyone else can post pictures of a good, side by side photo comparison of the stock OEM seat with the Ultimate mid rider seat; we would be most appreciative. :039:

six2go
02-02-2016, 11:03 AM
The more I think about this, the more I think that I can continue with the OEM seat with my AirHawk pad. I can go many miles with that combo and if I want a change in pressure points, I can just pull my home made bead rider out of the saddle bag and use that for awhile. My elbow bend is perfect for me with the OEM seat and I don't want to spend a bunch of $$ just to mess it up. Another one I have considered is a modification done by Mean City Cycles. Theirs look pretty nice too with more choices and they say they can maintain your seating position. Plus, they are WAY less money if that is a factor.

willtill
02-02-2016, 11:31 AM
The more I think about this, the more I think that I can continue with the OEM seat with my AirHawk pad. I can go many miles with that combo and if I want a change in pressure points, I can just pull my home made bead rider out of the saddle bag and use that for awhile. My elbow bend is perfect for me with the OEM seat and I don't want to spend a bunch of $$ just to mess it up. Another one I have considered is a modification done by Mean City Cycles. Theirs look pretty nice too with more choices and they say they can maintain your seating position. Plus, they are WAY less money if that is a factor.

Ya.. I bought one of those Alaskan sheepskin buttpads from Alaskan Leathers... but haven't used it yet on a trip.

Since I am planning to keep this bike for a long time (this time) I'd like to get a better seat for the duration of ownership though.

Have been looking at Mean City Cycles and the reviews on the web. Some like what has been done to their stock seat (other than F6B's) and some still say they'll get butt burn after awhile still, with the modification

Just seems easier to go with the Ultimate... if it doesn't work out... can send it back for a full refund (minus shipping) but would really like to get the correct model seat the first time around.

edgeman55
02-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Sounds like you should head to FL when the weather gets better and try them out at there store.Good excuse for a trip.

willtill
02-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Sounds like you should head to FL when the weather gets better and try them out at there store.Good excuse for a trip.

Cheaper and quicker; if someone would post a side view picture of the Ultimate Mid rider seat, together with the OEM seat. :icon_wink:

Just need to get a good visual; on how different the seam measures between the two seats. :icon_wink:

Of course I could wait until the F6B rally down in Russellville, but my butt would be sore by the time I got there... :icon_lol:

willtill
02-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Sent a note to Ultimate seats... hopefully they will respond. :popcorn:

Hello, I have a question about your F6B Midrider seat. According to your website; it says that it will push me up a little more forward than the stock seat. I need to know how much it will push me forward since I already am comfortable (position wise) on my stock seat. Can you give me the measurement in inches; from the front of the seat to where the drivers seat area ends?

I am 5'10" and about 235 pounds, with a 30" inseam. According to your website it states that my measurements are appropriate for the Midrider, but others on the HondaF6B.com message board whom have almost similar measurements; have stated that they have and like the King seat.

I want to order a seat from you; but do not want to go through the hassles of returning it; if it is not "right" for me due to these general statements describing "slightly move forward" (Midrider seat) -or- "It will sit you one and a half inches further back from the handlebars and cowling than our Midrider seat" (King seat).

From what is immediately described above; can it be assumed that the King seat is the same as the OEM F6B seat, as far as rider position?

Thanks

-Will

cwjj2001
02-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Sent a note to Ultimate seats... hopefully they will respond. :popcorn:

Hello, I have a question about your F6B Midrider seat. According to your website; it says that it will push me up a little more forward than the stock seat. I need to know how much it will push me forward since I already am comfortable (position wise) on my stock seat. Can you give me the measurement in inches; from the front of the seat to where the drivers seat area ends?

I am 5'10" and about 235 pounds, with a 30" inseam. According to your website it states that my measurements are appropriate for the Midrider, but others on the HondaF6B.com message board whom have almost similar measurements; have stated that they have and like the King seat.

I want to order a seat from you; but do not want to go through the hassles of returning it; if it is not "right" for me due to these general statements describing "slightly move forward" (Midrider seat) -or- "It will sit you one and a half inches further back from the handlebars and cowling than our Midrider seat" (King seat).

From what is immediately described above; can it be assumed that the King seat is the same as the OEM F6B seat, as far as rider position?

Thanks

-Will
Hey Will,
I live in Fredericksburg, Va I have the King seat. If you want to meet up so you could get a feel for the seat on the same bike you have; I am willing to help!

Just let me know!!!

willtill
02-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Hey Will,
I live in Fredericksburg, Va I have the King seat. If you want to meet up so you could get a feel for the seat on the same bike you have; I am willing to help!

Just let me know!!!

Thanks! I may take you up on that later on... appreciate it :yes:

willtill
02-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Got an answer back from Des @ Ultimate Seats, with some good measurements:

:yes:

Measurements are not exactly comparable because the nose off the stock seat
and ours are not the same.
Also the stock seat lower back support area has a much greater angle back
and is a shorter height.
Our King seat from nose to bottom of the lower back support is 19 inches and
to the top is 21 inches.
The lower back support is 6.5 inches high.
Our Midrider seat is 17.5 inches to the bottom and 19.5 inches to the top.
With your measurements I would have recommended the Midrider for a more
comfortable riding position.
I am the same height and inseam as you but 160 lbs so I need to sit more
forward on my F6B.
Because of our seats more upright and supportive lower back support the
heavier you are the more forward you will sit.
The King seat position may be more for you but difficult to tell until you
ride one.
Thanks
Des

six2go
02-03-2016, 10:57 AM
willtill, here's another possibility. The Valkyrie Club(VRCC) is having it's rally in Morgantown,WV in June. I no longer have my Valk but am still a member. I think Des is going to be there with his Big Rig full of goodies. In order to access the rally, you have to register but that can be done at the entrance as a day pass. I'm thinking that maybe Des would bring along a couple of seats for the "6" for us to try, then if it was comfortable we would know what to order, or just buy from him right there & ship the OEM seat home. I bought a seat from him at a VRCC rally for my Valk but had a friend with a truck there to bring my OEM home, but I'm sure that shipping could have been arranged. Morgantown isn't a long way from you is it? If I did that, I would just continue on to the Smokies for a bit of a vacation.

wjduke
02-03-2016, 11:09 AM
willtill, here's another possibility. The Valkyrie Club(VRCC) is having it's rally in Morgantown,WV in June. I no longer have my Valk but am still a member. I think Des is going to be there with his Big Rig full of goodies. In order to access the rally, you have to register but that can be done at the entrance as a day pass. I'm thinking that maybe Des would bring along a couple of seats for the "6" for us to try, then if it was comfortable we would know what to order, or just buy from him right there & ship the OEM seat home. I bought a seat from him at a VRCC rally for my Valk but had a friend with a truck there to bring my OEM home, but I'm sure that shipping could have been arranged. Morgantown isn't a long way from you is it? If I did that, I would just continue on to the Smokies for a bit of a vacation.
Warning, thread jack...Great memories of Morgantown. Went to an M109 rally there, June 2013. Awesome roads and riding. Nothing like that up here.

six2go
02-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Got an answer back from Des @ Ultimate Seats, with some good measurements:

:yes:

Measurements are not exactly comparable because the nose off the stock seat
and ours are not the same.
Also the stock seat lower back support area has a much greater angle back
and is a shorter height.
Our King seat from nose to bottom of the lower back support is 19 inches and
to the top is 21 inches.
The lower back support is 6.5 inches high.
Our Midrider seat is 17.5 inches to the bottom and 19.5 inches to the top.
With your measurements I would have recommended the Midrider for a more
comfortable riding position.
I am the same height and inseam as you but 160 lbs so I need to sit more
forward on my F6B.
Because of our seats more upright and supportive lower back support the
heavier you are the more forward you will sit.
The King seat position may be more for you but difficult to tell until you
ride one.
Thanks
DesAs much as I would like this seat to work, I'm afraid I'm out of luck unless I can sit on one with stock bars & pegs. I just took some measurements of my stock seat and it is 18.5 inches to the bottom of the rise, and 22.5 inches to the top. I know Des says that the nose of the stock seat and theirs isn't the same, but with the numbers I have to work with I couldn't give up that much room. I'm still open to trying a King Rider if I could sample one. My friend Dave Ritsema says that the King definitely raises you up some, and I don't want that for sure. But it does sound as if the King is closer to OEM in positioning.

willtill
02-03-2016, 02:12 PM
As much as I would like this seat to work, I'm afraid I'm out of luck unless I can sit on one with stock bars & pegs. I just took some measurements of my stock seat and it is 18.5 inches to the bottom of the rise, and 22.5 inches to the top. I know Des says that the nose of the stock seat and theirs isn't the same, but with the numbers I have to work with I couldn't give up that much room. I'm still open to trying a King Rider if I could sample one. My friend Dave Ritsema says that the King definitely raises you up some, and I don't want that for sure. But it does sound as if the King is closer to OEM in positioning.

I think so too. And that may be the one I go with. A slight rise in height has both pro's :yes: and cons :no:.

1. Takes a little of the acute bend out of the knee's on stock pegs (I have drop down pegs - even better) :yes:
2. Will probably require a taller windshield though (I currently have the medium Clearview Sport tour recurve - and still have some buffeting) :no:

ReserveBum
02-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Warning, thread jack...Great memories of Morgantown. Went to an M109 rally there, June 2013. Awesome roads and riding. Nothing like that up here.
You are not that far from the White Mtns, Vermont, western MA and the Adirondacks....there is some awesome riding "up here". So not to hi-jack, I'll stay on topic...I am looking at the Ultimate Mid as well. I did go to the shop in Daytona and sat on one...I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam and seemed that it would work. I do plan on buying but have to wait until the $ is readily available

wjduke
02-03-2016, 04:57 PM
You are not that far from the White Mtns, Vermont, western MA and the Adirondacks....there is some awesome riding "up here". So not to hi-jack, I'll stay on topic...I am looking at the Ultimate Mid as well. I did go to the shop in Daytona and sat on one...I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam and seemed that it would work. I do plan on buying but have to wait until the $ is readily available

One more...I've ridden NH, VT, western Mass, CT and some of eastern NY...down south the roads alongside the mountains, the Parkway, and the "Back of the Dragon" don't exist here...that I know of, I should say. I like CT the best up to this point. There's a Parkway that runs north and south in CT similar. I haven't traveled them all yet.
Ok, I'll stay off this thread now.

Miwhite
02-04-2016, 02:41 PM

I don't want to develop into a "praying mantis" with the seating position of the Midrider seat; if that is the case....

I have the Ultimate seat and am very pleased with it. It is definitely taller than the stock seat by maybe 1/2", which I like. It is slightly closer to the bars, but not by much. You have less fore-aft room than stock. The seat foam is firmer, but because it is sculpted with a great rear support, it s more comfortable than the stocks eat.