PDA

View Full Version : modulator musings

Big Cat
02-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Sunday was a beautiful day in Nashville, way too warm to pass up a late-January riding opportunity. Saddled up and headed down the Natchez Trace to Hohenwald, then down to Clifton for breakfast, then back home via 438. Lots of twisty roads, very little traffic, a total of 247 miles for the day.

I am still getting used to the headlight modulators. This is my first bike to have them. I knew about them before, but dismissed the idea on my previous Goldwings, because I thought they were too obnoxious to other drivers...which they may or may not be, I don't know...but they sure do work!

I am sure many drivers incorrectly assume that a LEO has come up behind them, as numerous drivers just slow down and pull to the side. Maybe they're just being courteous, I don't know...but in either event, it sure is fun to ride more or less unimpeded by slow traffic! Not to mention the big increase in conspicuity to oncoming traffic.

I can see the reflections of these lights off road signs hundreds of yards ahead, so I know the oncoming traffic sees me, too.

Others may or may not agree...and I was a skeptic myself...but the added safety margin and "enhanced rider convenience" has made the installation of my headlight modulators a worthwhile improvement.

Just my $0.02 worth...now back to work! :thumb:

willtill
02-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Headlight Modulators should be standard equipment on all motorcycles.

Highly recommend them. :yes: :yes: :yes:

(Yes... they get "3 thumbs" up instead of two....)

Phantom
02-02-2016, 10:19 AM
I was a skeptic myself...but the added safety margin and "enhanced rider convenience" has made the installation of my headlight modulators a worthwhile improvement.

:thumb:

I agree !!!

Does your modulator circuitry have a way to turn it off? My unit has a daylight sensor that when it becomes dark, the modulating stops. When I ride in a group, I can cover the sensor with a tire valve stem cap (making the sensor think it's night time) and stops the modulation to avoid annoying the riders within the group.

It definitely reduces the amount of cars entering into your path from a side street. :icon_cool::yes:

DMAGOLDRDR
02-02-2016, 03:34 PM
I agree !!!

Does your modulator circuitry have a way to turn it off? My unit has a daylight sensor that when it becomes dark, the modulating stops. When I ride in a group, I can cover the sensor with a tire valve stem cap (making the sensor think it's night time) and stops the modulation to avoid annoying the riders within the group.

It definitely reduces the amount of cars entering into your path from a side street. :icon_cool::yes:

The Modulator should be hooked into your High beam so if you just switch to Low beam for normal use. You would only use High beam at nigh so the sensor will shut the Modulator off at dark.

Big Cat
02-02-2016, 04:16 PM
The Modulator should be hooked into your High beam so if you just switch to Low beam for normal use. You would only use High beam at nigh so the sensor will shut the Modulator off at dark.

Yup, this is how it works...

jimbov1
02-02-2016, 07:34 PM
I'm new to F6B world great bike

I like being seen also what modulator did you add ?

maxrider
02-03-2016, 09:46 AM
:yes::yes:What all other poster's mentioned, BEST add on to the bike.

I used Kisan for my LED's and easy installation, but there are choices in brands.

Big Cat
02-03-2016, 11:22 AM
I'm new to F6B world great bike

I like being seen also what modulator did you add ?

Kisan

jimbov1
02-03-2016, 04:39 PM
thank you will look into the next F6B upgrade