PDA

View Full Version : Lane Splitting

BEIST
02-03-2016, 07:02 PM
When I am out riding with my buddies there is often a lot of discussion about congested traffic and Lane Splitting, which is legal out in California, and I thought I might share my own "East Coast" experience.

I ride my 1979 GL1000 down to the Delmarva (Ocean City MD) Bike Week every year. A long standing tradition that I gloat over all my Harley Trailer Queens (If anybody is offended please call 1-800-SCARED2RIDE). While riding down from Philadelphia I always take Route 9 through the swamps and the Bombay Hook Nature Reserve. This entails running the risk of flooded roads at high tide. But that is certainly no more risky than riding on Route 1! When I merge after the Dover Air Force Base the traffic always seems to be at a stand still for about a ten mile stretch at this specific location. Especially during any holiday weekend. Since lane splitting is illegal on the east coast - I will wait my turn in line. UNTIL my bike starts over heating. Then I start gingerly driving down between the stopped cars. There is usually about eight to ten feet of clearance. I only travel about ten miles an hour = scared to death = rehearsing the story in my mind that I plan on telling a police officer about my precious antique bike overheating. "Please officer! My baby was about to die!" But what always snaps me right back into reality is some hot head pulling into the center lane to cut me off. Nine times out of ten they are unable to fully cut me off because there is just not enough room, between the stopped cars, to move far enough forward. Since I wear a full face helmet with a dark shield I never really get any eye contact with them as I have to squeeze by on tiptoes. But,usually it is some little old man, all by himself, glaring straight forward, squeezing the steering wheel with white knuckles. Honestly, I don't get angry because I am breaking the law. Shame actually comes over me but it is always followed by even more increased anxiety because I envision them calling 911 to report me. And don't think I haven't thought about some idiot opening his door up to clip me! That's why I damn near ride at a walking pace. Anyways, the first time I do get a ticket = the trailer will be on order = to present before the Judge in hopes of leniency. And I will then probably have to call 1-800 ... :icon_frown:

3Chief
02-03-2016, 07:53 PM
I've been here in San Diego since August...Most of the riders here split lanes illegally too. The few times I've thought about doing it someone cuts me off. Not worth the risk especially with all the distracted cage operators these days... They can't seem to see us when we're staying in a lane why risk it?

From what I understand CA's lane splitting law has limits...slow traffic and no more than 10 over what traffic is doing being the two main ones I'm aware of. I swear 90% are going full speed even when traffic is stopped. More power to them however I won't shed a tear when some distracted driver clips them. Cars may be required to let you go by, however like crosswalks that law isn't a magic mystic barrier protecting you from harm. 10 over thru slow traffic by all means, 45 when traffic is nearly stopped...you deserve what you get.

I know I sound like an A$%($#e and I'm good with that. I know many riders who swear by lane splitting and are always up in arms about it being illegal back home. We've had many heated discussions about it and I know I'm in the minority with my opinion.

Dirtstiff's F6B
02-03-2016, 09:33 PM
It's legal now in Orygun, thanks to ABATE..
Not sure why the push was so hard to get the Or Legislature to pass it.
I still view it as rude to everyone else in line and yes me too when driving, and roulette when splitting on a bike.
I got a HD' s that get hot sitting too.
J

motozeke
02-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Most of the riders here split lanes illegally too. The few times I've thought about doing it someone cuts me off.

I live in So Cal and lane split regularly, but when riding the Columbia Gorge back in 2014 I got caught in a barely-moving traffic jam that strung all the way to Portland. And it was hot besides. So after crawling in traffic, pouring down sweat, I said **** it and pulled onto the shoulder. Then some old ****er pulls onto the shoulder himself not to stop... just to keep me and a few other motorcyclists from using the shoulder. Like it was some kind of public service. Jackass.

SoCal Rich
02-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Best time to split is when traffic is barely moving. Too many crotch rockets out here split at 75 when traffic is going 60!

Travelor
02-03-2016, 10:09 PM
And then there's always the A-hole who thinks it's their job to block a merging lane 1/4 - 1/2 mile before the actual merge!

taxfree4
02-03-2016, 11:58 PM
Whenever my Harley gets too hot in traffic I just put my flashers on, take the service road doing 20-25 mph insted of splitting, haven't gotten stopped in over 30 years. HP understands they're air-cooled dinosaurs although I haven't tried that with the F6B yet.

valkmc
02-04-2016, 10:48 AM
I did it once in California when I was on my way back from Alaska. I have to say it was fun. The traffic was stop and go and a guy on a wing pulled next to me and said follow me it is legal. We didn't go very fast but most of the cars let us go by. There were a couple who slid over so we couldn't.
It was on an interstate somewhere in Northern California.

Reedman71
02-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Ask yourself: Why is lane splitting legal outside of the US? Because it is safe, efficient, and helps to relieve congestion on roads. Only US lawmakers could be so short-sighted as to think that this is a bad thing.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/02/ama-study-finds-lane-splitting-increases-rider-saftey/

Cobraguy
02-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Do it regularly. There are guidelines that I do adhere to. Yes its scary at times but so is that ahole who turns left in front of you on the deserted country road. It's so common here in San Diego that most drivers expect it when traffic gets jammed up. Many move to make room for me but just as many don't. You have to be smart and attentive. Always be ready for the hole to close up or a car to quickly change lanes in front of you.

wjduke
02-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Here it's illegal as everyone knows. Best story I have is one night middle of the summer, it had to be in the 80's with dead air. Coming back from NH with some friends, we hit the highway night crew repaving just outside Boston. Traffic was backed up for miles. Don't you know, a cager goes inside everyone in the breakdown lane. We were dying on our bikes, going a few feet at a time. Best sight in the world...a State trooper went flying past us and nailed the jerk a quarter mile down the road.

You just don't do it.

Lunatic Fringe
02-10-2016, 12:59 AM
Born and raised in California, Los Angeles to be exact so lane sharing on a bike is a normal everyday thing. Keep the speed down while splitting and its a great way to safely get around in a congested city. If I couldn't split lanes legally in Cali I would likely give up riding entirely.

fxdl2051
02-10-2016, 02:56 AM
Once got my GS750 wedged between two cars lane splitting, that was embarrassing.

jm21ddd15
02-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Too many "cagers" that won't put down their cell phones and pay attention to the road, for me to risk lane splitting. I don't live in Ca, so it doesn't matter much, jmo. I'm not against it, just not legal in most places.