PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen a video before and after for the motorcycle tire/car tire

terryboyle
02-08-2016, 09:08 PM
I have seen a number of videos of GoldWings and some other bikes running a car tire and would love to see a before and after. If you have seen one please post a link.

If there is one of this darkside crowd who is waiting to wear out their stock tire who could take a video of the motorcycle tire before the change and then one immediately after with the car tire I'd love to see it.

I haven't quite decided if it's for me yet but I am leaning that way. I have seen car tires running on Harleys since the mid 70's, had a co-worker at a bike shop running one. He was in love with the price and handling 40 years ago - probably a bias tire back then.

Many thanks, :cheers:

seadog
02-09-2016, 06:48 AM
Yes I have seen a video of a F6B with a car tire turning on the very skinny edge of the tire and I didn't like what I saw! Not my cup of tea as a car tire is the wrong application for a motorcycle. It is made to stay flat footed on the road not roll over at extreme angles which a motorcycle tire is designed to do. Coming into a sharp curve to hot I myself would rather have the advantage of a tire designed for extreme layover angles than a car tire which is not designed to handle those. You do what you want but you will never see a car tire on my F6B. The darksiders always have a fit when I voice my opinion on their car tire applications:stirthepot:

Python
02-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Check out "driving styles of darksiders" has leaning that direction

jkelley
02-25-2016, 07:15 AM
You know what they say about opinions!!!!

There are folks that swear skydiving is a blast too but you aint getting my ass to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft!!! Makes no sense to me like dark siding to some.

I got tired of reading non informed opinions and seeing the obvious hostility towards one side or the other, did the research, and tried it. I suggest you consider doing the same. Most of the dark siders I have heard from love it, some don't. But like me they did try it. Most of the ney sayers have not tried it, and honestly don't have a clue.
As I said I did try it, and I let two of my friends ride my F6B dark sided, both liked it and are in the process of dark siding theirs. I took my rim and car tire off of my F6B and kept it when I traded the bike for the wing and will put it on the wing when I wear out the bike tire. You can get a used rim fairly cheap, and the tires, well you know.
If you don't like it someone will certainly cover your costs in buying the set up..... I seriously had no negative comments running the dark side, but again I also ride motorcycle tires. I do like the thought of a run flat on the bike. I try not to sway anyone either way. But the Dark Side does work and it works well. I ride as hard as most do here in the mountains. Not a sport bike rider but I do push it and I don't even think about having a car tire on the back when I do.

wjduke
02-25-2016, 07:43 AM
I'd like to hear from an insurance adjuster on this subject. In an insurance coverage situation...at fault, no fault, would a CT have any involvement in a decision? I highlight insurance adjuster for a reason.

terryboyle
02-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Check out "driving styles of darksiders" has leaning that direction

looked on this site and googled it,nothing on this site and video game references from Google. Have you got a link I can check out?

Python
02-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Michelin primacy pa3ctver2b

shooter
02-25-2016, 11:50 PM
I'd like to hear from an insurance adjuster on this subject. In an insurance coverage situation...at fault, no fault, would a CT have any involvement in a decision? I highlight insurance adjuster for a reason.

And I say its a non issue. Who is gonna run up , throw their self on the ground and declare , Its a Car Tire!!!! I mean really. You give people way too much credit. Nobody is gonna look at that. That car tire will out stop any MC tire on the market. My contact patch is almost 7 inches. Yours is an inch. I can't wait till September. I'm gonna show you and your Old Grey Mare what that car tire will do.:spank:

Jimmytee
02-26-2016, 05:41 AM
And I say its a non issue. Who is gonna run up , throw their self on the ground and declare , Its a Car Tire!!!! I mean really. You give people way too much credit. Nobody is gonna look at that. That car tire will out stop any MC tire on the market. My contact patch is almost 7 inches. Yours is an inch. I can't wait till September. I'm gonna show you and your Old Grey Mare what that car tire will do.:spank:

I don't run a car tire, but that has always been my thought too whenever the "Insurance" argument is used. I had an incident when some guy pulled out in front of me in his pickup a few years ago. I was on my Valk. All the insurance adjuster looked at was the areas that were damaged. My exhaust had some scratches and the engine guard and right front turn signal damaged.

seadog
02-26-2016, 06:59 AM
So I won't say anything at all, its an opinion and you know what they say about opinions. I myself personally would never put a car tire on my motorcycle but that's just me and I let the world do any stupid thing they want.

bob109
02-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Living in Pa. my cycle requires a yearly State Safety Inspection. Once completed by a Authorized Repair Center/Garage, a Inspection Sticker is affixed to the cycle/vehicle. I carry a copy a copy of the Pa. Motorcycle Safety Inspection Criteria in my saddle bag. The Criteria clearly states that the vehicle has to be equipped with a DOT Approved Tires on DOT Approve Rims. My Rear General G-Max Car Tire is a DOT Approved Tire as is the DOT Approved F6B Rear Wheel. There is not a single sentence/article in the Inspection Criteria indicating MC or CT. Adding to the Big Picture, Trikes be they Gold Wings, Harley's, T-Rex and the new Polaris Sling Shot are all equipped with a "mix" of Cycle/Car Tires or in the case of the Sling Shot/T-Rex all Car Tires. All of the fore mentioned are registered as MC/Motor Cycles on the "Owner's Card". That said, the issue of car tire use being a factor in a "denied insurance claim" wouldn't "hold water" IMHO:039:

wjduke
02-26-2016, 08:07 AM

I'll get off the tire thing, it's a no win situation and it doesn't matter that much. On the other hand, Don't sell the old gray mare short because yours is more shiny...shine doesn't equal speed. You're just more crazy than me....notworthy.

shooter
02-26-2016, 11:08 AM
I'm not crazy. Just skilled.

wjduke
02-26-2016, 11:35 AM
I'm not crazy. Just skilled.

I don't challenge anyone, so you're safe....lol

shooter
02-26-2016, 02:46 PM
Buddy its all good , I'm just messin with ya. Be glad when it warms up.

BIGLRY
02-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Living in Pa. my cycle requires a yearly State Safety Inspection. Once completed by a Authorized Repair Center/Garage, a Inspection Sticker is affixed to the cycle/vehicle. I carry a copy a copy of the Pa. Motorcycle Safety Inspection Criteria in my saddle bag. The Criteria clearly states that the vehicle has to be equipped with a DOT Approved Tires on DOT Approve Rims. My Rear General G-Max Car Tire is a DOT Approved Tire as is the DOT Approved F6B Rear Wheel. There is not a single sentence/article in the Inspection Criteria indicating MC or CT. Adding to the Big Picture, Trikes be they Gold Wings, Harley's, T-Rex and the new Polaris Sling Shot are all equipped with a "mix" of Cycle/Car Tires or in the case of the Sling Shot/T-Rex all Car Tires. All of the fore mentioned are registered as MC/Motor Cycles on the "Owner's Card". That said, the issue of car tire use being a factor in a "denied insurance claim" wouldn't "hold water" IMHO:039: +1

wjduke
02-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Buddy its all good , I'm just messin with ya. Be glad when it warms up.

I know that dude, don't sweat what I say...I feel like playing hooky Monday and it's only going to be 56. I never do that, but 2 years of no summer riding will do that to ya. Especially when the guy I work with just left for a haircut appointment on a Friday afternoon and left me hanging....going to be a big riding year around here!

wjduke
02-26-2016, 03:53 PM
Living in Pa. my cycle requires a yearly State Safety Inspection. Once completed by a Authorized Repair Center/Garage, a Inspection Sticker is affixed to the cycle/vehicle. I carry a copy a copy of the Pa. Motorcycle Safety Inspection Criteria in my saddle bag. The Criteria clearly states that the vehicle has to be equipped with a DOT Approved Tires on DOT Approve Rims. My Rear General G-Max Car Tire is a DOT Approved Tire as is the DOT Approved F6B Rear Wheel. There is not a single sentence/article in the Inspection Criteria indicating MC or CT. Adding to the Big Picture, Trikes be they Gold Wings, Harley's, T-Rex and the new Polaris Sling Shot are all equipped with a "mix" of Cycle/Car Tires or in the case of the Sling Shot/T-Rex all Car Tires. All of the fore mentioned are registered as MC/Motor Cycles on the "Owner's Card". That said, the issue of car tire use being a factor in a "denied insurance claim" wouldn't "hold water" IMHO:039:

This is the article that convinced me:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/400426-design-differences-between-car-motorcycle-rim-tire.html

willtill
02-26-2016, 07:34 PM
This is the article that convinced me:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/400426-design-differences-between-car-motorcycle-rim-tire.html

I read that article as well; it has been posted on this board in another past discussion. The inability of the C\T's bead to mechanically "lock" into the bead well of the M\C wheel...

...seems to be the glaring reason for it; to blow up and crash and burn ...and wimmen to shriek; children to cry, and grown men to shake in fear. :shock:

But they don't ...as attested to by some very knowledgeable members here running them; and living, breathing, real world factual evidence that a "failure" has not materialized to date.

Man cannot fly!!! :icon_lol: If man was meant to fly; God would've given him a car tire...! :icon_wink:

Who said dat? :shhh:

bob109
02-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Coming from a Mechanical and Quality background I'll throw this out for consumption, digestion and debate.

Every owner of a motor vehicle or motorcycle is in effect a "Test Pilot" for tires! Be it MCT or CT with each revolution of the tire, the user is subjecting the tire to "destructive testing". Like it or not it's a fact! What road surfaces tires are subjected to, speeds driven, load rates, corners encountered, overall riding style etc. etc. all contribute to wear and eventual tire replacement. Some due to premature failure i.e. nail puncture, thread/tread separation. In the QUALITY WORLD such things as "Cradle to Grave Tracking", "Mean Times Between Failures " and "Statistical Process Control" are but a few of the measurements which provide "facts" to those "In the Know". Nothing is taken for granted and all aspects of Destructive Testing are closely monitored. Without measurable, accurate and verifiable data all else is but conjecture. Unfortunately the M/C Tire Manufactures and Cycle Dealerships do little but to criticize the "Dark Side" practice for fear of "lost sales". Until such time that a comprehensive study clearly investigates the merits of the Dark Side Practice the pro/con argument will linger and fester. I choose and run the Dark Side by my own free will. So accustomed to the ride characteristics of a CT, I find a MT as too neutral and prefer the "feedback" of the CT. Handling, extended mileage wear, reduced costs, smoother ride and excellent traction/tracking in the rain are measurable parameters which I find acceptable and quantifiable. Along with "tire casing sectioning" I personally take great efforts to capture all elements of my DS experiences.

MisterB
02-26-2016, 10:26 PM
Nice post Bob, it tickles my bias confirmation!
I have no technical pedigree to add to this conversation but I get the feeling that although the CT to MC rim connection is not optimal it is sufficient for normal operation.
Maybe a MC tire would hold air better in extreme under-inflation state during pothole impacts?
Regardless, the long and impassioned arguments against CT use would suggest instant failure or at least some failure, right?
Perhaps a moderator could check to see if DS riders are simply disappearing from the forum and not relating their failures because they've been burned to a crisp.
I'm still looking for a tractor tire that will fit the F6B. Maybe an aircraft landing gear tire?

shooter
02-26-2016, 10:31 PM
I'm thinking a fork truck tire with foam in it. In stead of a run flat it will be a no flat.:icon_mrgreen:

bob109
02-26-2016, 10:48 PM
Nice post Bob, it tickles my bias confirmation!
I have no technical pedigree to add to this conversation but I get the feeling that although the CT to MC rim connection is not optimal it is sufficient for normal operation.
Maybe a MC tire would hold air better in extreme under-inflation state during pothole impacts?
Regardless, the long and impassioned arguments against CT use would suggest instant failure or at least some failure, right?
Perhaps a moderator could check to see if DS riders are simply disappearing from the forum and not relating their failures because they've been burned to a crisp.
I'm still looking for a tractor tire that will fit the F6B. Maybe an aircraft landing gear tire?

If my memory serves me right there has been a larger loss of "Dark Side Nay Sayers" on our Forum than actual Dark Siders. Those with the constant negativity about Dark Siding appear to have "culled" themselves from the herd. I have a directive in my will to be "cremated" but the Dark Side has yet to contribute to my"flaming demise"! With just shy of 100K miles of CT riding under my a$$ I should have been flamed numerous times over according to the critics. It's probably just luck:shhh:

Ride Safe

bob109

Wing'n it
02-29-2016, 04:10 PM
I have done it on my 02 Goldwing and put over 10k mile on a Kumho tire and it never showed much wear. My new 15 F6 had 4k miles on the stock tires and the rear was wearing flat across the tread. So I purchased another black rear rim and on went another CT. This time a Bridgestone run flat and the only trick is finding the sweet spot for air pressure, other than that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference if you didn't look at it. To each his own on the subject and I won't try to convince anyone to do it but I will offer up my findings on the subject. Best I can say is to get a rim and a tire of choice and give it a go. Having another rim lets you change back easily if your not happy and somebody will absolutely buy your CT and rim from you.

stepbill
04-05-2016, 12:12 PM
I just went darkside last week. Am using the Michelin Alpine and the only time that I can tell a difference is when I'm slowing do to a stop on a crowned road as the bike wants to lean towards the slope. I just go to the right and have no problems. So far I love the tire and will not change back. I still scrape the pegs with no problem and with the Alpine, you do not have to force it down, it leans naturally! As others have said, I decided to try it and believe that I will stay!

Penguin
04-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Many years ago when Big Dog Motorcycles broke onto the scene, they were using a huge rear car tire. Ultimately they had many law suits filed claiming the bikes wouldn't turn because of the wide flat tire.

willtill
04-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Many years ago when Big Dog Motorcycles broke onto the scene, they were using a huge rear car tire. Ultimately they had many law suits filed claiming the bikes wouldn't turn because of the wide flat tire.

I could see where a car tire would be an issue on a Big Dog chopper.

Some of those rear tires (330mm) are very wide.... tough to get that sucker to lean over if it was "car tire squarish"

stepbill
04-05-2016, 03:11 PM
I could see where a car tire would be an issue on a Big Dog chopper.

Some of those rear tires (330mm) are very wide.... tough to get that sucker to lean over if it was "car tire squarish"

Plus a lot of the tires being used now have a rounded off edge, not squared off, and this makes it easier to lean.

Penguin
04-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Plus a lot of the tires being used now have a rounded off edge, not squared off, and this makes it easier to lean.

That's exactly what they did to rectify the issue.

Maddoggie501
04-07-2016, 12:27 PM
The one time I ran into a gentleman riding a Goldwing with a rear car tire, and he started telling me how great it was, I just walked away. I'm sorry, no need to have a conversation with a gentleman who spent 30K on a Goldwing and decides to save money by putting car tires on it. Lets rock and roll in the twisties and we will see how good that car tire really is. Hell, go buy a trike if you love car tires. Sorry, just venting.

willtill
04-07-2016, 12:28 PM
The one time I ran into a gentleman riding a Goldwing with a rear car tire, and he started telling me how great it was, I just walked away. I'm sorry, no need to have a conversation with a gentleman who spent 30K on a Goldwing and decides to save money by putting car tires on it. Lets rock and roll in the twisties and we will see how good that car tire really is. Hell, go buy a trike if you love car tires. Sorry, just venting.

You can do everything with a car tire, as you can with a motorcycle tire. What's the issue?

bob109
04-07-2016, 01:12 PM

You apparently have no or little knowledge of the "Dark Side"! It is not about saving money:shhh: It's about getting 4 times the mileage compared to a MT. It's about superior handling in the rain! It's about great cornering! It's about a smoother ride! It's about the increased "load rating" compared to a MT. Sorry, just venting:039:

willtill
04-07-2016, 01:34 PM
You apparently have no or little knowledge of the "Dark Side"! It is not about saving money:shhh: It's about getting 4 times the mileage compared to a MT. It's about superior handling in the rain! It's about great cornering! It's about a smoother ride! It's about the increased "load rating" compared to a MT. Sorry, just venting:039:
You forgot better braking too... :icon_wink:

A nice analogy is in order here...

...I used to despise the look of that nasty creamed beef that was served in the mess hall. Looked like puke. Until one day, I upped the courage to try it. It was... most excellent. :shhh:

wjduke
04-07-2016, 02:17 PM
You forgot better braking too... :icon_wink:

A nice analogy is in order here...

...I used to despise the look of that nasty creamed beef that was served in the mess hall. Looked like puke. Until one day, I upped the courage to try it. It was... most excellent. :shhh:

That's one of the things I miss most about my military days.

BIGLRY
04-07-2016, 02:19 PM
+1
and as far as handling the twisties it is obvious he has not run into Yellow Wolf or many other darksiders that you will only see their tail lights in the twisties.
Everyone has an opinion, even if they have never rode a darkside MC. I respect that, but until you do you really don't have a clue as to how they handle good or bad IMO.

BIGLRY
04-07-2016, 02:25 PM
...I used to despise the look of that nasty creamed beef that was served in the mess hall. Looked like puke. Until one day, I upped the courage to try it. It was... most excellent. :shhh:I loved SOS in the Army along with fried tators
http://img.sndimg.com/food/image/upload/w_555,h_416,c_fit,fl_progressive,q_95/v1/img/recipes/92/17/4/picXcq9xA.jpg

Retired Army
04-07-2016, 03:10 PM
I loved SOS in the Army along with fried tators
http://img.sndimg.com/food/image/upload/w_555,h_416,c_fit,fl_progressive,q_95/v1/img/recipes/92/17/4/picXcq9xA.jpg
Damn where were you stationed? I never saw SOS that nice in the Army.

willtill
04-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Deleted... mistake

willtill
04-07-2016, 03:19 PM
This is U.S. Army creamed beef. You can see why there is apprehension initially towards consuming it :icon_mrgreen:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2cpqbli.jpg

bob109
04-07-2016, 03:22 PM
This is U.S. Army creamed beef. You can see why there is apprehension initially towards consuming it :icon_mrgreen:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2cpqbli.jpg

My father was a Army Cook and referred to it as "Shit on Shingles":shock:

shooter
04-07-2016, 03:43 PM
+1
and as far as handling the twisties it is obvious he has not run into Yellow Wolf or many other darksiders that you will only see their tail lights in the twisties.
Everyone has an opinion, even if they have never rode a darkside MC. I respect that, but until you do you really don't have a clue as to how they handle good or bad IMO.

Yeah , don't knock it till you try it. Innovations happen everyday. If Columbus had believed the world was flat , none of us would be here.

BIGLRY
04-07-2016, 03:46 PM
My father was a Army Cook and referred to it as "Shit on Shingles":shock:Yep "SOS"

BIGLRY
04-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Damn where were you stationed? I never saw SOS that nice in the Army.I did a lot of "KP" duty and I made sure my SOS was the best.:icon_wink: also helped that I knew how to work on the cooks H-D:shhh:

Maddoggie501
04-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Well you guys enjoy those car tires. I guess if they handle as good as you say, they should be standard equipment on every sport bike fitted with a 180 motorcycle tire. I had this discussion with my BMW buddies and I couldn't get a word in since they were laughing to hard. Then again they are just BMW riders, what the hell do they know about Goldwings. To each his own. Enjoy the ride!

Phantom
04-07-2016, 09:53 PM
I had this discussion with my BMW buddies and I couldn't get a word in since they were laughing to hard.

Your discussion was based on what factual personal experience? They were laughing to hide their ignorance and no knowledge on how these tires handle. 1,000's and 1,000's of Goldwing owners, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and other touring Bike owners can't all be wrong.

No one is placing car tires on a sport bike as you suggested, Goldwings are a whole different animal.

shooter
04-08-2016, 12:29 AM
I liked that sarcastic comment about how "they are just BMW riders". Like you have to he special to ride that POS. Nothing special in my book. Let's compare service records and costs to repair. Nothing beats a Wing on the open road. Nothing outlasts them either.

bob109
04-08-2016, 01:27 AM
Your discussion was based on what factual personal experience? They were laughing to hide their ignorance and no knowledge on how these tires handle. 1,000's and 1,000's of Goldwing owners, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and other touring Bike owners can't all be wrong.

No one is placing car tires on a sport bike as you suggested, Goldwings are a whole different animal.

Unfortunately that's the "disconnect" for "Nay Sayers"! They can't even distinguish the difference between 400/500 lb. crotch rockets/sport bikes and 800+ lb. "heavy cruisers" which have drastically different "rake and trail" characteristics. That shortcoming in addition to not having a single revolution of a CT on a cycle under their a$$ makes them "experts" on the topic. Looking back it appears that all of those experts have managed to "cull" themselves from the herd with their negativity. We all know the folks I'm referring to:shhh: "Trolls" come in many shapes and forms and it appears we have a new one on board:039: It's just a matter of time before he crashes and burns:shock:

If my memory serves me right, I recall hearing someone comparing a BMW to a Edsel! Many, many dollars spent for a unreliable piece of $hit:stirthepot:

3Chief
04-08-2016, 02:13 AM
I'm still pondering the darkside...It'll be worth the cost of the rim just for the experience I would think...I can't see it hurting, especially with the thousands of riders out there that do run CT's as has been mention before.

It's all personal preference, case in point, many on this forum luv the OEM tires on the B... I hate them, even properly inflated and scrubbed in they just don't feel right to me. I don't feel they hold the road nearly as well as the mezzlers on my VTX. This is the second new bike with the identical issue. Whether I go with mezzlers or go darkside I'd never buy the OEM's again.

shooter
04-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Chief I run one of the new Metzeler 888's on the front and it sticks like glue. Feels as good as my 880's on my 109. I have no problem recommending it.

3Chief
04-08-2016, 07:17 AM
I had gotten one put on my VTX the same weekend I got the B...I scrubbed it in but really didn't get to play with it. Then I put it in the trailer thinking I was going home shortly...My poor VTX has been a bit neglected the last few months :icon_frown:

shooter
04-08-2016, 07:21 AM
My 9 is the same way Chief. Its the way she looks at me as I'm crawling on the B.

3Chief
04-08-2016, 07:30 AM
My VTX is strapped down in the trailer...just not enough time to ride them both at the moment.

Pap
04-08-2016, 08:04 AM
I put as wide of a car tire on my 109 that I could. Just wanted the bike to look cool. What I didn't know before I put it on was how it would handle. What I found out was when going in and out of my alley behind my garage where the road was severely rutted the bike tire would high side more than the stock tire. Other than that, after about 15 minutes trial, I found out how smooth of a ride it gave. After riding it for a while I tried some twisties that I was familiar with to see how it handled. On turns where I could power out of and break the stock tire loose on, I found that after numerous tries, I could NOT break this car tire loose, even though it was up on the "edge" of the tire. That tire was 11 1/4"wide. The bike would sit straight up without the kickstand being down. I could even sit with my feet on the pegs at a stop light if the road was level. That was the cool factor. I got the benefit of a significantly smoother ride, unbelievable traction and after 4 times the stock tire mileage, still looked good and cost $100.00 less than the Metzler to replace.
The car tire I put on the F6B is the one that Bob109 uses. I have no complaints with this tire. I will always run a car tire on the back of this bike. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks, Bob, for putting the information out there from your used car tire!

willtill
04-08-2016, 08:21 AM
My 9 is the same way Chief. Its the way she looks at me as I'm crawling on the B.

Some think that motorcycles are simply machinery... but inherently I do believe that they develop a "soul" through your use and care of it.

Don't let you infrequently ridden bike become "scorned" :nono:

53driver
04-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Some think that motorcycles are simply machinery... but inherently I do believe that they develop a "soul" through your use and care of it.

+1 !

If you erroneously believe for a second that your bike doesn't talk to you - you simply are not listening properly.
Same goes with helicopters.

shooter
04-08-2016, 08:54 AM
I would think that a helicopter would scream instead of talk.

Retired Army
04-08-2016, 09:09 AM
When helicopters stop talking, point of maximum pucker is achieved.

53driver
04-08-2016, 09:32 AM
I would think that a helicopter would scream instead of talk.
They whisper, talk, complain, moan, tremble, and whine long before they scream.....

When helicopters stop talking, point of maximum pucker is achieved.
Seat cushion? What seat cushion?

gregj
04-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Dang. Same ole - same ole that I read years ago when I put a Goodyear Triple Tread on my 03 VTX 1800C. Loved it, traction was incredible in the wet or dry. I guess some things, and topics, will never change. :cheers:

Retired Army
04-08-2016, 11:55 AM
I am of the opinion helmets and car tires mounted on motorcycles fall in the risk management category and discussing them never get old.

BIGLRY
04-08-2016, 12:38 PM

No one is placing car tires on a sport bike as you suggested, Goldwings are a whole different animal. +1

BIGLRY
04-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Unfortunately that's the "disconnect" for "Nay Sayers"! They can't even distinguish the difference between 400/500 lb. crotch rockets/sport bikes and 800+ lb. "heavy cruisers" which have drastically different "rake and trail" characteristics. That shortcoming in addition to not having a single revolution of a CT on a cycle under their a$$ makes them "experts" on the topic. Looking back it appears that all of those experts have managed to "cull" themselves from the herd with their negativity. We all know the folks I'm referring to:shhh: "Trolls" come in many shapes and forms and it appears we have a new one on board:039: It's just a matter of time before he crashes and burns:shock:

If my memory serves me right, I recall hearing someone comparing a BMW to a Edsel! Many, many dollars spent for a unreliable piece of $hit:stirthepot:You have very astute observational powers my friend.'all/right'

BIGLRY
04-08-2016, 12:46 PM
I am of the opinion helmets and car tires mounted on motorcycles fall in the risk management category and discussing them never get old. Kind of goes along with the never ending "which oil or oil filter" threads too.:banghead:

Retired Army
04-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Kind of goes along with the never ending "which oil or oil filter" threads too.:banghead:
Nothing is illegal until you get caught, and nothing is unsafe until you crash.