PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Advice?

fxdl2051
02-10-2016, 03:04 AM
Lived in Phoenix 18 years ago, would love to hear from some 'zonies who live there now. How much of the season are you riding and what are the conditions like out there now for riders. Phoenix was big in the 90s, but it's way bigger now. Been slowly talking the GF into a retirement move down there vs Florida. AZ has much more interesting country, roads and more culture than Florida can offer. Lastly with the weather rapidly changing and heat becoming a real factor in the Southwest, anyone worried about how it will affect the outlook for living in the town in the next 10-20 years? Any wisdom guys?

Nero
02-10-2016, 08:02 AM
I've lived in the Valley for almost 30 years. I ride almost every day. The roads here are well kept and traffic is usually light. You will notice that Winter brings many aging Snowbirds to the State so you will need to account for the large number of RV's on the road. The rest of the year it is motorcycle heaven. In the Summer months, June through mid September I usually leave the house by 6:00 and I am home by 12:00 noon. Additionally Colorado and Utah are within striking distance, both are great places to explore. I would not live anywhere else.

willtill
02-10-2016, 08:04 AM
I miss Arizona. A lot. :icon_frown:

Willl
02-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Live in Issaquah for 8 months out of the year and 4 months in AZ

Rent instead of purchase, this would give you the opportunity to winter in other places and not to worry about a zero return on your dollars

I hope to be giving you a full report in about 10 years :icon_mrgreen:

Travelor
02-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Having lived in Woodinville back in the 90's, and going to the Sedona area in Feb - March for the past few years (now stuck in that hell-hole known as Northern Illinois), I would say turn it around and live in Issaquah for the beautiful 3 months of summer (June-August) and then the rest of the year in AZ. As the man said "Nice work if you can get it!".

Ixol Phaane
02-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Have been here in metro-Phoenix since 1970. Have seen lots of changes... much bigger... much more traffic and congestion. The drivers are really pretty rude here. You gotta get out of the valley to ride comfortably and safely. I think Travelor has it right... stay away from AZ from June-Sept... (at least stay out of the low desert, Phoenix). But the rest of the year is pretty nice.

I ride all year, but I stay out of the heat during the summer months. If you get up to the higher elevations such as Payson, Show Low, or Flagstaff during the summer you'll be happy. There's some real nice riding in southern AZ around Tucson, and in the mountains of central AZ. Sedona area is beautiful... Prescott, Jerome. And Nero is right on about Utah and Colorado.

The future-cast calls for continued HOT in the summers. I wouldn't move to the heart of the Valley...maybe to the far east side, but there are lots of beautiful places to live and visit throughout the state.

shooter
02-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Having lived in Woodinville back in the 90's, and going to the Sedona area in Feb - March for the past few years (now stuck in that hell-hole known as Northern Illinois), I would say turn it around and live in Issaquah for the beautiful 3 months of summer (June-August) and then the rest of the year in AZ. As the man said "Nice work if you can get it!".

Lmao. Travelor how do you really feel about Northern Illinois.

Travelor
02-10-2016, 03:17 PM
Lmao. Travelor how do you really feel about Northern Illinois.
I hate it here. Even though I live 45 miles out of the city, it still feels like a hole, mostly because if you want to go to the east or southeast you still have to deal with the congestion and a-hole drivers as you go through or around the city. Was moved back here for the 3rd time by the company I worked for in 2003, all my kids, wife's kids and grandkids are now within 50 miles so you know there ain't a snowball's chance we're ever moving on a permanent basis. The corruption and crime in Chicago is terrible and even though most of it is one sided, you still have to listen to that a-hole Jesse Jackson blame it on everything but the real cause. And even if you take the toll-way around the city to avoid the traffic and shootings you are not safe, now they're shooting at you on I-294. At least the state doesn't tax pensions, but how long that will last with an 80 billion (that's right, "billion") pension obligation shortfall is anybody's guess. I hope I didn't sugar coat it too much!!