PDA

View Full Version : J&M Speakers

stevenolts
02-10-2016, 10:12 AM
I bought the J&M speakers when I purchased the bike last March. They have been on back order for a year. I read somewhere they are now ready to ship. Has anyone installed the new version yet? If you have how are they?

I see the price went up / are they going to charge me the difference after making me wait a year?

Please let me know if you have heard anything. Or should I just just upgrade with the Polk's? Are they hard to fit??? I am fairly handy and I was able to install the cruise control on the first attempt with no problems. (That was a fairly intensive install!!!!) Are they that much better and will I need a new amp?? I have Polk speakers in my house and car. They are very good!!!
Steve

ths61
02-10-2016, 01:50 PM
The Polk Audio MM651's can be had for the same street price and should handle more power than the J&M's.

According to J&M's new video, they are only @ 1/5th as loud (2dB) as the stock speakers. Many people can not detect a 1dB change in volume level.

Dfinkelsteinmd
02-10-2016, 10:17 PM
My old JM's had a failure so I ordered replacements (XT's) and they arrived last week. I have installed them but not ridden the bike yet so I can't say if they sound better or just louder, which they seem to be. Stay tuned. No pun intended...

stevenolts
02-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Please let me know how the new speaker sound.
Steve

Dfinkelsteinmd
02-15-2016, 03:18 AM
Well I can finally say that I tested the XT's and they are subjectively better than the prior version: crisp and clean all the way to 19 on the volume scale, which was as high as I could go riding over the San Andreas Fault in Wesr Marin on my way to Stinson Beach today. They seem louder and more full even with my full face Shark helmet. Well worth the money imho.

ths61
02-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Well I can finally say that I tested the XT's and they are subjectively better than the prior version: crisp and clean all the way to 19 on the volume scale, which was as high as I could go riding over the San Andreas Fault in Wesr Marin on my way to Stinson Beach today. They seem louder and more full even with my full face Shark helmet. Well worth the money imho.

J&M implies they sound twice as loud (but only measure a 2dB increase), would you concur with the twice as loud statement ?

They also indicate they are clear to 25, would you concur with that statement ?

Dfinkelsteinmd
02-16-2016, 10:34 AM
The XT series upgrade is somewhat louder but it is difficult to quantify how much. I also did not exceed 19 on the volume as it was plenty loud with a full faced helmet at speed and I did not want to wake the cows in West Marin or trigger an earthquake. They are an inexpensive upgrade that works well for an old fart whose ears were never good and have now been pummeled by loud pipes and too many rock concerts. Hope this helps.

53driver
02-16-2016, 04:38 PM
"Twice as loud" would be a 10dB increase.
What "spec" we're they quoting at 2dB?

98valk
02-16-2016, 06:54 PM
I tried a variety of speakers trying to match the volume of the OEM front speakers. I never found any. Even my nice DXI651's sound great, but are not as loud as OEM.

So, if these J&M speakers sound better and are any louder at all, that is pretty good in my book.

With that said, of course louder is not necessarily better, just impressive.

The 2 db increase was measured at a volume setting of #25 (referenced here:
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7937-J-amp-M-Front-Speaker-Upgrade ) I don't know where "twice as loud" was documented. :shrug:

stevenolts: If you got the new pair at the old price, that would seem like a tempting deal. It seems this is all trial and error anyway. It makes picking the right seat or windshield look easy! Let us know ....

oiler
02-17-2016, 06:35 AM
Now I am more confused than ever. All I would like to know is do the new style J&M speaker sound better than the Honda OEM speakers with no amp upgrade?

ths61
02-17-2016, 02:31 PM
"Twice as loud" would be a 10dB increase.
What "spec" we're they quoting at 2dB?

Agreed.

Here is their A/B test video using a SPL meter. They did not test with pink or white noise. They measured 2.2dB and believe that is twice as loud versus twice the power. I sent them the following dB/voltage/power/loudness chart and they told me the chart was incorrect.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/voltageloudness.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AgNA6j6zZQ

53driver
02-17-2016, 11:39 PM
A 3dB difference is required for most humans to detect an increase or decrease in sound volume.
This 3dB requires either a doubling of power for an increase or a halving for a decrease in volume in the same system.

No magic here, just sound logarithm mathematics.

choptop
02-18-2016, 01:18 PM
No magic here, just sound logarithm mathematics.[/QUOTE

Well that's easy for you to say.:icon_wink:

53driver
02-18-2016, 10:29 PM
No magic here, just sound logarithm mathematics.[/QUOTE

Well that's easy for you to say.:icon_wink:

Aye, 'tis.
Allow me to introduce my hobby/company: SemperFi Sound, LLC.
semperfisound.com

Cheers!

Donncat
02-20-2016, 10:11 PM
Just got my J&M speakers installed. I wanted improved sound and volume without all the amp mods. I'm thrilled with the upgrade. It's a great move for a little cost :clap2:

stevenolts
02-22-2016, 12:13 PM
I just installed my new J&M speakers (I ordered them a year ago / back order / no cost increase when I picked them up Saturday)
I figured for the $100.00 I paid a year ago I would give them a try and they really sound good!!!

They are probably not as good as the Polk's with an amp.

I find that they are much louder than the stock speakers and have better sound overall. I think they are more than load enough for my purposes and I like a lot of volume playing Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Chili Peppers etc... I have a big amp in my car and the J&Ms will work great for me.

One of the best things is that you can crank these up without distortion. That may fade away after I blast them all the time. I used to run the stock speakers at 14 with auto volume increase. I now can run these up to 25 and it gets real loud and stays clear almost too loud to run that high all the time.

I would highly recommend the J&M speaker upgrade especially without the need for changing the AMP.
Steve

oiler
02-22-2016, 12:28 PM
I just installed my new J&M speakers (I ordered them a year ago / back order / no cost increase when I picked them up Saturday)
I figured for the $100.00 I paid a year ago I would give them a try and they really sound good!!!

They are probably not as good as the Polk's with an amp.

I find that they are much louder than the stock speakers and have better sound overall. I think they are more than load enough for my purposes and I like a lot of volume playing Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Chili Peppers etc... I have a big amp in my car and the J&Ms will work great for me.

One of the best things is that you can crank these up without distortion. That may fade away after I blast them all the time. I used to run the stock speakers at 14 with auto volume increase. I now can run these up to 25 and it gets real loud and stays clear almost too loud to run that high all the time.

I would highly recommend the J&M speaker upgrade especially without the need for changing the AMP.
Steve

Thanks Steve, That is what I was hoping to hear...more volume and better sound quality without changing the amp. I am going to get them this year.

choptop
02-22-2016, 03:42 PM
Just ordered my J&M speakers, never had a bike w/music, one of the things I like about this bike over many other things.

Chas
03-29-2016, 05:39 PM
Now I am more confused than ever. All I would like to know is do the new style J&M speaker sound better than the Honda OEM speakers with no amp upgrade?

I waited a year for mine too, did not get any break on the new price. But, they do sound good all the way to maximum sound. No distortion. As for loudness, cannot really speak to that, maybe a little louder. But the speakers do not garble at maximum volume and sound great to me, even at 85 MPH. That is the best I can say about them.

Donncat
03-29-2016, 08:12 PM
I had mine installed a month ago and I am satisfied with the upgrade without upgrading the amp. Volume is no longer an issue, treble and bass are vastly improved. I paid Haps Honda to put them in while they installed my electric automatic speed controller that can't be mentioned here. They are a direct replacement for the stock so i suppose they are plug and play. Worth the money even at the new price. :039: