PDA

View Full Version : Remove backrest and install MP3 rack...need shorter screws?

RickJ
02-12-2016, 08:04 PM
like it sez...since i really only ride solo, i'd like to remove the backrest as well as get that rack. Will my "backrest screws" be too long? Any idea if wingstuff would have shorter screws if I need them (cut down on shipping!) Thanks. Apropos of nothing...we're looking at around 17 below tomorrow night in Cooperstown...37 in the Adirondacks- tomorrow night.

RickJ
02-13-2016, 09:20 AM
like it sez...since i really only ride solo, i'd like to remove the backrest as well as get that rack. Will my "backrest screws" be too long? Any idea if wingstuff would have shorter screws if I need them (cut down on shipping!) Thanks. Apropos of nothing...we're looking at around 17 below tomorrow night in Cooperstown...37 in the Adirondacks- tomorrow night.

OK...let me ask another way...My concern is that there may be something UNDER the backrest mount that could be damaged by using the original screws without the backrest...anyone know if there is anything close underf where the backrest is mounted or is there a little room there??

ReserveBum
02-13-2016, 09:26 AM
Rick...I put the MP3 back rack on about two years ago and I sometimes take my backrest off for certain riding. I dont remember there being different screw sizes and I have no issues. I did get some rubber caps to cover the screw heads when the backrest is off. The screws set all the way down even with the backrest off.

RickJ
02-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Rick...I put the MP3 back rack on about two years ago and I sometimes take my backrest off for certain riding. I dont remember there being different screw sizes and I have no issues. I did get some rubber caps to cover the screw heads when the backrest is off. The screws set all the way down even with the backrest off.

Thanks...by "size" I meant length...but you answered my concern either way!

Chatham- we should get a few NYers together this summer for a ride...adirondacks, berkshires...whatever.

ReserveBum
02-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Definitely on the ride! Maybe we could set up a day during Americade as well