PDA

View Full Version : Finally Drank the Koolaid

okf6b
02-12-2016, 11:56 PM
I finally pulled the trigger on a 15" Dark Gray Madstad today. It only took a Cee Bailey's, F4 Custom 20", Clearview Medium, National Cycle V-Stream, Baggershield 11/19 convertible, and a Clearview Large to arrive at the Madstad conclusion. Another conclusion I came to is I've spent way too much money on windshields over the last 10 months. :banghead:

Based on owner's comments here, it will be the answer I've been searching for.

willtill
02-13-2016, 05:39 AM
What made you pick the 15" one? If I was going to get the Madstadt; I would go no smaller than the 13" but I wonder if the 15" would be akin to a barn door.

I also noticed in your trials and errors; that you had both the Clearview medium AND large windshields. The large still didn't do it for you? How tall are you?

Reason why I ask, is that I am still going through the windshield decision making process(s) and am not sure if changing out my current Clearview medium to a large; is the answer myself...

I still am trying to get my head around the ugliness of the Madstadt though.... maybe I'll get through that... :icon_frown:

Heavvyduty
02-13-2016, 06:08 AM
I,m 6ft3 and My 13in Madstad is just rite.

lloydmoore1
02-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Same here I'm 6'1" and I have the 13 and it's set all the way down.

DMAGOLDRDR
02-13-2016, 08:07 AM
I have also been through a Tall Honda Windshield----- then Clearview w Vent----- then changed to 11" Madstad that was good but not for New England winters. I was headed to Datona for Biketoberfest in October and the knew the 11" wouldn't have the wind protection for the 2300 mile round trip ride, so I picked up a V Stream Goldwing shield and drilled it to fit the F6B. That was great for the trip BUT a pain to swap back and forth, so when I got home I ordered a Madstad 15".
So now I put a 15" on for the cold and the 11 for the summer. It is only 4 screws and in minutes changed out.

Some guys get it right away, others (like me) have to pee on the electric fence to figure it out for ourselves.

I spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women,, the rest I just wasted.

Steve 0080
02-13-2016, 03:01 PM
I think mine is the 15"... Had a guy call ne the other day about a shield tried to lead him to the Madstad...told him to come get my bike and test it out....oh well !!!!!

No question it is butt ugly, no question it is the best shield out there !

okf6b
02-13-2016, 04:49 PM
What made you pick the 15" one? If I was going to get the Madstadt; I would go no smaller than the 13" but I wonder if the 15" would be akin to a barn door.

I also noticed in your trials and errors; that you had both the Clearview medium AND large windshields. The large still didn't do it for you? How tall are you?

Reason why I ask, is that I am still going through the windshield decision making process(s) and am not sure if changing out my current Clearview medium to a large; is the answer myself...

I still am trying to get my head around the ugliness of the Madstadt though.... maybe I'll get through that... :icon_frown:

I hear you on the looks factor. That's what made me try all the others first. At this point, I'm going for function over fashion. I'm 6' and I think my Ultimate seat raises me up just a bit over the stocker. Madstad recommends the 15" for 6'1" and above.

Both Clearview's I tried had the recurve but I still would get quite a bit of buffeting when riding. Especially on windy days which in Oklahoma is more often than not.

Speaking of barn doors, the 20" F4 Custom shield I tried was close to a barn door.

shooter
02-13-2016, 04:58 PM
I hear you on the looks factor. That's what made me try all the others first. At this point, I'm going for function over fashion. I'm 6' and I think my Ultimate seat raises me up just a bit over the stocker. Madstad recommends the 15" for 6'1" and above.

Both Clearview's I tried had the recurve but I still would get quite a bit of buffeting when riding. Especially on windy days which in Oklahoma is more often than not.

Speaking of barn doors, the 20" F4 Custom shield I tried was close to a barn door.

Ultimate seat definitely raises you up. Maybe as much as an inch.

willtill
02-13-2016, 07:15 PM

I am sold on the 15"

Experience buffeting with the medium Clearview @ high speeds; and I am not going (though I love the look) of the large Clearview to negate that; on an assumption that it may work. :nono:

So just have to pull the trigger on the Madstadt.

willtill
02-13-2016, 07:18 PM

Shooter... please post pictures of your stock OEM seat -vs- Ultimate seat; so I can get an idea of the driver seat area between the two.

SoCal Rich
02-13-2016, 08:20 PM
I have the Ultimate King and got the 13" Madstad after trying a gazillion shields like you did. I'm 6' 1". Madstad is the only one that worked for me. The smoke shield on a black F6B really grows on you, makes the bike look kinda hi-tech.

toy_collector
02-13-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm 6'1" and have the ultimate king seat. I went through the Honda Tall and the Clearview Tall before getting the Madstad in a 14". I didn't want to get too tall as some have stated the 15" was but since I have the taller seat I didn't want to get too short again with the 13". They were happy to make one at 14" when I called them. I haven't got to test it yet since it's still only 5 deg outside.

okf6b
02-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Well, I received the my 15" Dark Smoke Madstad a couple of days ago and got it installed. First I have to say, the dark smoke looks good and does a nice job of hiding the brackets.

My first road test was this morning and I am amazed. Even at 90+ the airflow is smooth and goes 4-5 inches over my helmet. No buffeting at all. I should have tried it sooner. It would have saved me a bunch of money. I remember reading one post on here that said "just get a Madstad". That is the truth. :bowdown: