PDA

View Full Version : L.E.D. front turn signal bulbs

glacier13
02-13-2016, 10:47 PM
I am having difficulty finding a set of front turn signal L.E.D. bulbs that will work on my 2013 F6B, I purchased the SoCalMotoGear complete LED turn signal brakelight/taillight pkg. but the front Amber LED bulbs in the kit simply do not fit the front sockets properly, and do not make proper contact in the socket to the necessary contact points, and do not work, they sent me replacement bulbs, and out of the 4 bulbs none will work properly, does anyone know of another option from any other manufacturer, or the auto/equivalent for this application.

Steve 0080
02-13-2016, 11:40 PM
You did not like SoCals turn signal kit with the bi-lights ?

ShanghaiDan
02-14-2016, 01:21 AM
Check http://www.superbrightleds.com - I've had great results with their bulbs in a variety of vehicles. Including the switchback units.

glacier13
02-15-2016, 12:33 PM
You did not like SoCals turn signal kit with the bi-lights ?

Steve, I purchased the complete LED kit for the rear turn signals brake/tail light and front turn signals, everything worked on the rear by just plugging them in, and I was very satisfied with the rear lights, the problem is with the front bulbs, they are amber and are the same as the rear bulbs and they simply do not work when plugged into the front sockets, I installed the LED flasher as well and the front bulbs will not work, SoCalmotogear sent me another set and same issue, my observation is this the stock rear bulbs will not plug into the front sockets at all, so the stock bulbs are shaped different, and SoCal's bulbs are shaped the same and they simply do not make proper contact in the front sockets to work properly, I worked back and forth with Tim @ SoCal and we couldn't come up with a solution,

glacier13
02-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Check http://www.superbrightleds.com - I've had great results with their bulbs in a variety of vehicles. Including the switchback units.

Dan, I just completed some research on the Superbrightleds web site and spoke to one of their tech folks, did you purchase any specific turn signal bulbs from them, and if so do you know which number bulbs you purchased from them, Thank you Randy

SoCal Rich
02-15-2016, 11:35 PM
Glacier, I bought them for my 2013 F6B and they fit and work just fine. Are you sure you followed the instructions exactly?

Steve 0080
02-16-2016, 12:01 AM
Steve, I purchased the complete LED kit for the rear turn signals brake/tail light and front turn signals, everything worked on the rear by just plugging them in, and I was very satisfied with the rear lights, the problem is with the front bulbs, they are amber and are the same as the rear bulbs and they simply do not work when plugged into the front sockets, I installed the LED flasher as well and the front bulbs will not work, SoCalmotogear sent me another set and same issue, my observation is this the stock rear bulbs will not plug into the front sockets at all, so the stock bulbs are shaped different, and SoCal's bulbs are shaped the same and they simply do not make proper contact in the front sockets to work properly, I worked back and forth with Tim @ SoCal and we couldn't come up with a solution,

Here is a pic under a canopy at a gas station mid day.... The head lights are H-7 HID, SoCal turn signals and the rectangular fogs from ShowChrome, side markers from Rick!

SimonTemplar
02-16-2016, 03:02 AM
I've used SMD LED's in other applications and they seem to put out a hell of a lot of heat.

Has anyone had any problems with melting things after they switched to these?

....sT

ShanghaiDan
02-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Dan, I just completed some research on the Superbrightleds web site and spoke to one of their tech folks, did you purchase any specific turn signal bulbs from them, and if so do you know which number bulbs you purchased from them, Thank you Randy

Hi Randy, I don't have an F6B yet (still on my CTX - but test drove an F6B a few weeks ago and fell in love!), but have used their type A switchbacks in 1157 style for the CTX. Direct install, works great. I'd assume their 7443 type A switchback would be the same, since the F6B uses that size of bulb. So it should be SuperBrightLeds.com 7443-AW60-SA (https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/s-series-bulbs/7443-switchback-led-bulb-dual-function-60-smd-led-tower-a-type-wedge-retrofit-car/1917/4477/) for the F6B. That should work.

NOTE: do NOT get the type B! Only get the type A I linked to. In most municipalities a light that flashes from yellow to any other color (alternating) is illegal. It is legal to turn off the white light then strobe yellow only - but you cannot alternate from white to yellow and back.

ShanghaiDan
02-16-2016, 08:54 PM
I've used SMD LED's in other applications and they seem to put out a hell of a lot of heat.

Has anyone had any problems with melting things after they switched to these?

....sTLEDs have a lot of heat in a small area - but a ton of lumens per area too. They should have considerably less heat than halogen or incandescent bulbs, but still 10W is 10W!

Hornblower
02-17-2016, 08:52 AM
LEDs have a lot of heat in a small area - but a ton of lumens per area too. They should have considerably less heat than halogen or incandescent bulbs, but still 10W is 10W!

Yeah, I basically agree with that statement. There does seem to be a lot of confusion about LED's and heat. As ShanghaiDan mentions, it boils down to watts. The good news is this...both CFL's and LED's can produce lumens using less watts than incandescent bulbs. For example (in ballpark figures), to produce 800 lumens would require a 60 watt incandescent bulb. The CFL would take only a 13-15 watt bulb. And, an LED bulb would take only a 6-8 watt bulb. See why LED's are becoming more popular? As LED technology continues to evolve, we are seeing better color temp choices and efficacy exceeding 100 lumens/watt. From what I'm hearing, the next technological advance in automotive headlights is laser (check out Audi and BMW). How cool will that be?

glacier13
02-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Glacier, I bought them for my 2013 F6B and they fit and work just fine. Are you sure you followed the instructions exactly?

Rich, The bulbs they supplied me were a very sloppy fit, in the front sockets and did not make good contact, I reversed them as it said in their instructions, to no avail, my issue with the process is this. The stock rear bulbs will not plug into the front sockets, so if they provided me 4 bulbs that were the same, how will they work in different shaped sockets, the bulbs for the rear and the bulbs for the front have to be of a different shape at the base and all 4 that they provided me are the same, I purchased a set of 7443 bulbs @ Auto Zone and they fit perfectly, they are not as bright as I had hoped, so I am back to the drawing board on that, but at least I found a bulb that fits properly, I don't know what would be the difference between your F6B and mine as far as the wiring of the sockets, but they just would not work in my sockets. Thank You for your reply, I will try a pair from SuperBrights as they make a 7443 bulb as well. Randy Glacier 13

soberbiker
11-26-2016, 12:42 PM
I am curious...does there happen to be a preference between the clear lens or the ribbed?

Steve 0080
11-26-2016, 12:49 PM
I am curious...does there happen to be a preference between the clear lens or the ribbed?

Just personal preference.....

soberbiker
11-26-2016, 01:08 PM
Just personal preference.....

Thanks.

ShanghaiDan
11-27-2016, 12:40 AM

Smooth or ribbed? Depends upon your pleasure...

:shock::icon_twisted::icon_mrgreen: