PDA

View Full Version : Shoei GT AIR

chipmaker
08-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Anyone using a Shoei GT AIR helmet? I want one, but I'm reading conflicting reviews regarding noise and air flow. I'm a Arai and Shoei fan, only Shoei has internal visor.

yellow rex
08-20-2013, 08:15 PM
I have a Shoei Quest Passage red & black and the wind noise is so bad that if I ride for
a hour or so one of my ears get sore from the wind noise,
and yes I ride with a stock wind screen, so I wear a Bell Mag 9
it is not to bad.

Scotrod
08-20-2013, 08:23 PM
(All my comments are based on riding other bikes with the windshield air directed at the top of my visor.)

I have the RF1100 and J-cruise. Both have the spring-loaded visor that pulls back against a gasket to seal when closed. That feature does help with noise. :yes:

Sometimes one needs to adjust it to seal correctly, but a coin is all you need to loosen-tighten the screws.

The vents on the RF1100 can be ~noisy~ when opened, especially the front. The top vent of the J-Cruise is less noisy.

The J Cruise came with removable foam 'ear-pads'. (RF1100 didn't) They also help reduce noise. I use a Sena SH-10 so speakers now occupy the ear-wells.

Internal visor,,, I wear prescription glasses with 'transition' lenses. I thought the flip down shield in the J wing would be useless. It does come in handy when riding into the sun. Also keeps a little sun off parts of your face. Optically correct and no issues with fitting over my specs,,,

I wish I could get a very light tinted visor for the Jcruise. Nothing but CLEAR available. (I guess they figure they already gave you all the tint you need! LOL!)

You mentioned Arai,,, It would be helpful if you would list the 'other' helmets you are considering. Maybe some one owns both the GT Air and ????

chipmaker
08-20-2013, 08:27 PM
I won't buy a Arai this time because they don't make a lid with internal visor. GT AIR's claim to fame is high air flow, low noise, and is meant to be ridden level headed, not in a tuck. My buddy has RF1100, he loves it, but no internal visor. I hope to hear from someone who has one.

Mrf13
08-20-2013, 08:34 PM
I bought one about a month ago. Had an Icon before. Night and day difference.
Internal visor works great and the quietest helmet I have ever owned. Airflow is great.
Had the top vent closed the other day and I didn't know it. When I opened I feel feel the air coming in the helmet. Highly recommend.

Scotrod
08-20-2013, 08:37 PM
The 1100 has the ~recently new but now old?~ internal passage way system of connecting the vents to yer skull. Sometimes the air has to change directions in the passageways,,,

The Jcruise system is virtually identical to the Air GT. Straight passages to and from yer skull. No real complaints with either on airflow. 1100 flow is a bit less noticeable, but distributed over a larger area. Jcruise has a 'stronger' flow feel, but mainly felt on the top.

No real complaints on flow with either. Just different.

bobbyf6b
08-20-2013, 08:43 PM
I love Shoei helmets, but I can't get myself to drop the coin for a new one. I was looking at the GT Air but ended up getting the Scorpion EXO 500. Drop down sun visor is a must for me. I kind of regret not getting a modular but I guess I can get another one in the future.

Scotrod
08-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Proper fit is critical.
A good fit is better in the long run than a bad fitting high dollar helmet.

chipmaker
08-20-2013, 09:17 PM
I bought one about a month ago. Had an Icon before. Night and day difference.
Internal visor works great and the quietest helmet I have ever owned. Airflow is great.
Had the top vent closed the other day and I didn't know it. When I opened I feel feel the air coming in the helmet. Highly recommend.

That's what I wanted to hear. I have a decent 3/4 or I would get the j cruise. This will be my 7th helmet in 20 yrs of riding. I tried out Neo Tec modular last week, but just wasn't that impressed.

Mrf13
08-20-2013, 09:43 PM
I would also like to add that over the years I have looked at Shoei and Arai helmets.
Always ended up buying the cheaper helmet because I thought 300 or 400 can't be worth it.
My previous helmet was an Icon that cost 290. After wearing my GT Air for five minutes I realized I thru 290 in the trash. My Shoei was worth every penny.

Steve 0080
08-20-2013, 11:37 PM
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a dear friend of mine....I was wearing a $700 helmet and he was wearing a $150 helmet...trouble was his brain was far more valuable than mine...told him about it and he went and bought a helmet worthy of his brain. I am a helmet whore... there I admit it... I have 16 or so helmets...so many I have given most away. My current helmet is an Arai Signet Q, pearl black ..I always buy a matching helmet... before this I had a blue Shoei RF 1000 to match my Rune...I have several 1/2's from several different manufactures... The wind from the Shoei was loud and the Arai is somewhat better...If I were to buy a helmet just for noise level then I would go with the Quest... not heard enough about this helmet...I usually buy a helmet depending on the weight...

I have bought two helmets with the sun shade, both very exspensive...sent them both back, the shield did not come down far enough for me but a great ideal...

Scotrod
08-21-2013, 07:39 AM
SIXTEEN!?!?!? I had about 6 till I cleaned house of the ones I don't wear,,, LOL!!!
(I like Arai as well and tried the Sig Q,,, Fit great other than my chin hit the cross bar.)
Have you tried the new Shoei sun shade? (Neotec, Jcruise, GTair),,, #17 may be waiting for you! =)

jkelley
08-21-2013, 08:25 AM
I bought an Arai XD-4 (Yes the one with the visor) based on a recommendation from a friend that does quite a bit of touring.
Like others I used to buy sun shade helmets, but with the XD-4 you really don't need one.
I find Arai to be the quietest of any other helmet I have used. The more important point is fit. The Arai fits my oblong melon better than the Shoei that appear to be suited more for those with a rounder head. Both are very good units, but as mentioned I firmly believe this is NOT a piece of gear you want to go cheap on!

Scotrod
08-21-2013, 10:40 AM
I have a '$89 special' I bought in a pinch while on vacation out of state once. (Shield mechanism on my Arai broke) Tons of difference in build quality, noise, fit, etc. I do believe there are many high-quality, safety providing, 'mid-price' helmets out there.

Still, any helmet is better than none. Coming up from the 'v-twin' cruiser ranks, discussions about 'use a helmet, yes or no?' pop up,,

I may be lax on other protective gear in the heat of summer, but a helmet will be on my head 99.8462357497456383% of the time,,,

(Does that number remind us of anyone else here on the forum?!?! LOL!!! It's ALL good! )

michaels
08-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Ive been riding with my Shoei Neotec now since Feb 2013 and on F6B you will notice a little more noise when top vent is open full....but its worth it on a Hot Texas Day! Vents closed very quiet....Helmets i have are Shoie RF800(YES OLD) Bell 9 and Bell Revolver. Bell Mag 9 does great but the Neotec is the one i like best.

chipmaker
08-21-2013, 02:43 PM
order the gt air last night. If it sucks, I'll send it back.

Scotrod
08-21-2013, 04:14 PM
If you decide you like it, but it doesn't fit quite right/has forehead pressure point, you can adjust the fit a small amount with 40 grit sandpaper. 1/8 of an inch makes alot of difference!

I find it far easier to remove a little foam than to smash it down. TONS easier to smooth and shape, plus the remaining foam is still 'soft' enough to micro-form to your head shape.

(Sanding head to fit helmet not recomended,,,) :shock:

chipmaker
08-22-2013, 05:28 PM
I have to recommmend revzilla.com on delivery speed and price... Now for the sexy close ups...

Maybe I'll get up early to beat that heat and try the helmet out.

yellowskeeter1
08-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Nice shell and nice color!

Steve 0080
08-23-2013, 12:40 PM
First shade I have seen come to touch someone's nose, there is usally a space that make it not so nice!!! Very nice fit!!!

chipmaker
08-23-2013, 01:49 PM
First shade I have seen come to touch someone's nose, there is usally a space that make it not so nice!!! Very nice fit!!!

As I read alot of reviews on other helmets, the one thing that stuck out was the darkness and the coverage of the internal visor...

Wingman
08-24-2013, 05:13 PM
I have the Shoei MultiTech, the predecessor to the NeoTech. It’s loud, fogs worse than any helmet I have owned, and it looks HUGE on my head. I’ll be looking for something else here soon. Given the sharp decrease in my vision I feel more comfortable wearing glasses when riding/driving so the internal sun visor is a big draw for me.

bobbyf6b
08-24-2013, 10:35 PM
I have the Shoei MultiTech, the predecessor to the NeoTech. It’s loud, fogs worse than any helmet I have owned, and it looks HUGE on my head. I’ll be looking for something else here soon. Given the sharp decrease in my vision I feel more comfortable wearing glasses when riding/driving so the internal sun visor is a big draw for me.

I tried on a Neotec today and OMG it fits so nice. If I can afford that upgrade in the future I will get one.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-neotec-helmet

chipmaker
08-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Do it, Revzilla is where I bought my GT-AIR, came in 2 days!!!! The internal visor is great, no more swapping shields or changing to sunglasses.

Wingman
08-25-2013, 06:30 AM
I tried on a Neotec today and OMG it fits so nice. If I can afford that upgrade in the future I will get one.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-neotec-helmet

Do yourself a favor, spend the extra scratch and get a Pin-Lock shield, it will help keep the fog down enough to see in the cooler weather. I also found that this helmet doesn't flow to much air, especially with the chin spoiler on in the winter. Otherwise it’s just what you would expect from Shoei, well made, durable, I would have no proplem driving my face into the concrete with it on:shock:

chipmaker
08-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Do yourself a favor, spend the extra scratch and get a Pin-Lock shield, it will help keep the fog down enough to see in the cooler weather. I also found that this helmet doesn't flow to much air, especially with the chin spoiler on in the winter. Otherwise it’s just what you would expect from Shoei, well made, durable, I would have no proplem driving my face into the concrete with it on:shock:

The revzilla ad says the neotec comes with the pinlock. My GT-Air did also. I have never used one before...

Wingman
08-25-2013, 07:13 PM
The revzilla ad says the neotec comes with the pinlock. My GT-Air did also. I have never used one before...

Ugh, sorry, I got the two mixed up. Neo does, Multi doesn’t. I would like to try the GT Air, I’ll try a bigger set of cheek pads in my Multi -Tech for 25 bucks before I drop another 400 on a new helmet.

chipmaker
08-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Ugh, sorry, I got the two mixed up. Neo does, Multi doesn’t. I would like to try the GT Air, I’ll try a bigger set of cheek pads in my Multi -Tech for 25 bucks before I drop another 400 on a new helmet.

I thinned out my new GT-AIR cheek pads the second day I had it. I wasn't gonna pay $50 for slimmer pads...

fsixb_AZ
08-25-2013, 07:29 PM
I have to recommmend revzilla.com on delivery speed and price... Now for the sexy close ups...

Maybe I'll get up early to beat that heat and try the helmet out.

I picked up a white GT Air at the local Cycle Gear, best optics than any other helmet I've owned. Love the drop down visor. I honestly didn't notice any noise reduction from my Shoei RF however. Going with the taller windshield solved my noise problem.