PDA

View Full Version : That sound you hear...

taxfree4
02-20-2016, 03:33 AM
Is another nail in Harleys' coffin. A 1200cc, liquid cooled V-twin cruiser at the $10.5 range or as everybody else calls it the tipping point. I don't think they'll be able to do it since the 1200 Custom, like I have, is $10.9 at base, without any cooling technology factored in. Now I'll never sell this clunker, thanks Polaris.

Old Ryder
02-20-2016, 08:35 AM
I saw an interview with the CEO of Polaris a few years ago in my Victory days. It is actually Indian that is targeting the HD crowd while Victory is going after another market which is about 10% less MSRP than HD. Victory is evolving into competition for Star and more of the metric cruiser community. Back then he promised that in the next 10 years Victory would be a different company than was recognized today. That was when all the Vic riders were scared Indian was going to replace the whole Victory line. He assured them that Victory was here to stay, but they were changing----It looks like they are well on their way to getting there.

BTW--I started many threads on the boards screaming about the need for some mini fairing or some type of aero efficient design up front. I discovered the MRA Vario mini shield for the front of my Kingpin and many guys jumped on board. I think it is interesting that this new bike has one of those straight from the factory. Maybe they do read the forums.

taxfree4
02-20-2016, 03:04 PM
The Octane will hit HD right in the pocket as the Sportster is their bread and butter. Even though the Street Glide is their best selling bike the Sportster appeals to the emerging female market, and those slim-hipped male hipsters, being smaller. That is why on this board the minute you mention the Scout you hear "girl's bike" which may be truer than anybody thinks. Make no mistake HD is in both their targets because the ultimate goal in commerce is to turnover product and you go after the the biggest one. Prediction: Somewhere down the road, when they do get the share of the market they are shooting for they will merge the two, just MHO.

Cool Hand Luke
02-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Is another nail in Harleys' coffin. A 1200cc, liquid cooled V-twin cruiser at the $10.5 range or as everybody else calls it the tipping point. I don't think they'll be able to do it since the 1200 Custom, like I have, is $10.9 at base, without any cooling technology factored in. Now I'll never sell this clunker, thanks Polaris.

I like the bike, kind of reminds me of one of my previous bikes, VRod Muscle. I really enjoy riding my Vic X Country, very comfortable, good handling and so far not a single hiccup.

Maybe Victory is just what the American Motorcycle industry (ahem) needs, a kick in the pants and change in status quo of bloated, overweight, overpriced and ill handling bikes. I may have to test ride it at Daytona next month, if available.

Motorcycles should be about passion, not butt jewelry. Let's hope this is just the beginning of the new wave of bikes. Maybe HD will wake up and offer something new as well. Also, I must say that Honda needs to change as well. Besides F6B, I really cannot think of another Honda I want to buy at this time. Their offerings have been pretty uninspiring of late (I like the new Valkyrie performance wise but just cannot see owning it as it is just unattractive to me).

Looking forward to seeing the next bike Vic has to offer!

SimonTemplar
02-21-2016, 02:47 AM
......That was when all the Vic riders were scared Indian was going to replace the whole Victory line. He assured them that Victory was here to stay, but they were changing----.....

And now with the release of the Octane, it seems, Polaris is diluting their re-emerged Indian cachet ...as the Octane is pretty much a pimped Scout. Some badging and similar changes, a mini fairing, and a different paint scheme, but.....

http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/ind/2016/img/vehicles/overview/media-carousel/large/scout/photo-4.jpg

So...worry no more about Victory. But if you're swinging for the Indian bleachers, Polaris may be losing interest in them...and you. Or at least that's the implication I am getting from it. Who knows what tomorrow's tide will bring.

I'd really REALLY hate to see Indian fade away....again. (third time? Fourth time?) My father owned an Indian Four back in the day, so Indian has always held a soft place in our hearts.

.....sT

taxfree4
02-21-2016, 03:48 AM
Scout Sixty and Victory Octane were seperated at birth

Old Ryder
02-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Indian is here to stay. Victory too, I think. Last I read, they are running full production at the Scout factory and can not keep up with the demand. Franchise cost is $400,000 and they are popping up everywhere. Vic and Indian share a lot of design and technogoly. That was the kick against Vic after the purchase of Indian. All the effort, R&D and design team went to work on the Chief series and Vic got nothing except color changes for a few years. In the early days I really did not think Victory was going to survive, but at Daytona last year they were all over the place.

taxfree4
02-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Liquid cooling is the future.

Old Ryder
02-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Liquid cooling is the future.

That's what Honda said.............................................. ......................................about 40 years ago. :tapfing:

Greg O
02-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Honda needs to bring back the Rune

pdxstriper
02-21-2016, 09:56 PM
I only see one issue threatening the Harley franchise: time. In time, dynasties fail due to their own obvious oversights. In time, their loyal followers will age out of the buying market.

In the mean time they will continue to ride high. The only risk is that they modernize their products. That will drive their fans away. Just maintain a price 2X the competition and continue to provide little clip-on chrome pieces. It's a perfect business model. For a while yet.

taxfree4
02-22-2016, 02:49 AM
They did modernize, with the V Rod and now with the Street 500 and 750, except in the first case it really didn't take off and the second case it's too little too late. Harley doesn't know how to respond to market forces because for the longest time, they never had to, here's the product - now buy it. Even though they had aluminum pans underneath the bikes, on the showroom floor, because the new bikes were leaking oil so bad. They had a rabid following, I equate it to an uncle of mine I used to take out to eat to the same place every time and he would complain about the food, every time, but eat the whole thing, never thinking of going anywhere else. Except these days that never happens, one bad meal and, like myself, people don't go back, too many options.

shooter
02-22-2016, 10:37 AM
Harley isn't going out of business no matter how much you want it. There are more HD on the road than all other bikes combined. They will come out with some new paint schemes and some fatter tires and keep on stroking.

taxfree4
02-22-2016, 04:05 PM
Harley isn't going out of business no matter how much you want it. There are more HD on the road than all other bikes combined. They will come out with some new paint schemes and some fatter tires and keep on stroking.

That's true 65% of all Harleys are still on the road..........the other 35% actually made it home.

ths61
02-22-2016, 04:13 PM
That's true 65% of all Harleys are still on the road..........the other 35% actually made it home.

Heh, my auto wrench told me when a HD stops leaking, its the signal to add oil. :icon_lol:

taxfree4
02-22-2016, 05:31 PM
Heh, my auto wrench told me when a HD stops leaking, its the signal to add oil. :icon_lol:

Now that's funny, I needed a little laughter after attending Big Ang's funeral today, that girl was a load of fun, very sad.

ths61
02-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Now that's funny, I needed a little laughter after attending Big Ang's funeral today, that girl was a load of fun, very sad.

Sorry for your loss.

taxfree4
02-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Just a sad story 55 years old, prime of life.

motozeke
02-22-2016, 11:58 PM
Also, I must say that Honda needs to change as well. Besides F6B, I really cannot think of another Honda I want to buy at this time.

I haven't jonesed for a bike like I have been for the Africa Twin since... well, the F6B.

taxfree4
02-23-2016, 08:17 AM
I haven't jonesed for a bike like I have been for the Africa Twin since... well, the F6B.

That is a great bike and I've read nothing but good reviews on it. Also, I'd grab a Honda Rebel for the short runs to the store.

Phantom
02-23-2016, 08:37 AM
If Harley could produce something like ….. :popcorn:

willtill
02-23-2016, 09:09 AM
If Harley could produce something like ….. :popcorn:

Or... this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUBS1FybhYI

I would absolutely LOVE to have something like this "fireybat" Watch the whole video. :icon_cool:

taxfree4
02-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Can't even get them to come up with this on the touring models, wouldn't hold my breath.