PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Goldwing

Phantom
02-24-2016, 09:41 PM
'popcorn and coke'

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/new-goldwing-coming-soon/30882.html

shooter
02-24-2016, 10:05 PM
Sometimes change just for saying you changed it isn't good. Who has anything that compares? Technology isn't always good. Gizmos don't make a bike run better. I'm good like it is. The more electronics the more problems. KISS works most of the time.

53driver
02-24-2016, 11:54 PM
+1.
I like my 6 cylinders, manual transmission, and enough buttons - but not too many - to get the job done.

Hybrid? No thanks.
Load bearing engine? No thanks.
More gizmos? No thanks.

If true, the 2017s will make the 2016s priceless.
Cheers,
Steve

ths61
02-24-2016, 11:54 PM
No mention of any 6.5" or 7.1" speaker support. :icon_rolleyes:

MisterB
02-25-2016, 12:41 AM
Funny, when this posted I had opened a Reply to Thread getting ready to say something along the lines of "I'll keep my F6B til I die, don't want all of this stuff on a motorcycle, we don't need all of the complexity!"
I closed the Reply page without posting because I figured nobody wants to hear my bullsh1t. Judging from your responses, maybe I was wrong about that.

I'm fully immersed in technology in many aspects of my life but could easily toggle back to analog or less automated ways of doing things. A little technology is great, fuel injection is the bomb, but all of this other stuff just sounds like more things to break down, service, or have replaced.

Wonder if they'll try to halfassedly shoehorn motorcycles into the driverless vehicle future by taking over the throttle and brakes?

ShanghaiDan
02-25-2016, 01:47 AM
My current scoot is a Honda CTX700. I test rode the DCT - and liked it enough I took a chance on it. A year later, I don't think I'd want to have a bike without it, at least for a daily driver. NOT having to operate the clutch a few hundred times an hour is kind of a nice thing for a commuter. Add that option to the F6B, I'd get it. After all - I can always manually shift if I like.

Not sure about the other options, though!

Patch
02-25-2016, 02:10 AM
Being new to the Goldwing, when I read this the only thoughts I had were about the transmission and what they would be doing by going hybrid on the engine. I've ridden on a DCT bike the last year and a half and I'm a huge fan of it, if they do it correct on the goldwing. The NM4, NC700X and Africa Twin DCT bikes are crazy fun. The biggest problem with the DCT bikes thus far has been the manual shift system being paddle shifters...which, frankly, suck.
Those bikes in Sport mode are very quick to shift and generally perform the shifts at more typical RPMs that a human would anyway. Standard drive mode is more of a lazy "lets get to sixth gear quickly" mode. The manual shifting turns off the ECMs control of shifting but with paddle shift it takes too much to get used to from foot shifting. Even though, in process, the shift is telling the ECM to go ahead and change gears, it's a microsecond reaction from the change on the finger to the DCT shifting. I never over-revved using it, but one of the other NM4 owners did and had to get repairs handled on the motor. The ECM in Drive and Sport mode handles the downshifting pretty well too, and it makes banked stoplights a no-brainer.

If they took the DCT, dumped the paddleshift and left the footshifter on, I would take it on the goldwing. For someone that commutes alot through heavy traffic for at least an hour both ways, not having to deal with the clutch is a win. On long trips, I could see it coming in handy to have an auto mode handling the shift, especially with cruise control activated. For the twisties and riding on new roads, going "manual" with a foot shifter would be alot nicer than dealing with clutch and shifter. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the clutch/shifter approach...hell, I've been doing it long enough, but after having experienced the DCT at work, I'm a fan of it. It's been around going on 7 years now and is a far cry better than CVT style transmissions on bikes. The clutch is/can be a distraction. Take that away and one only needs to concentrate on the rpm they want to shift at, not having to worry about how long it takes to engage and disengage the clutch, how much time is wasted on the shift (sorry, drag racing persona coming out), what to do if the clutch cable suddenly breaks/snaps...(have had this happen and it sucked...before cell phones were popular). Perhaps provide two options, a manual and a DCT version. The option path is a no brainer as well since they've been doing that on the NC700 line and CTX700 since they launched the DCT option. Leave it an option.

As to the engine...going from a Six to a Four with a hybrid, it makes sense when you look at what Honda has accomplished with the Accord Hybrid model. Better fuel economy, high horsepower and likely even more torque. I could see the GW going from it's typical 30-40 mpg averages to 50 plus with that move. Not sure I would care much for the electronic engines drone hum that would likely induce, however.

KISS works. I get that. The wiring, all the damn sensors, touch something or try to retro in a modification and you could end up with a nightmare repair. More food for the technicians when things break down. People tend to adapt to technology the longer it's around. I hated losing carburetors back in the 80's to those fuel injection systems and all that smog control crap on cars, until the technology got better and better. Now I run EFI on my 72 Plymouth because I don't have to sit there and smell gas as I pump the pedal and try to start the car...now it just starts and I can get out and take corners or launch like a bat outta hell without worrying about starving the cylinders. My dirt bikes used to all be carbureted up until 2011 when everyone jumped on the FI bandwagon. I adjusted to that as well. Now tabletops at 20 feet up don't choke the engine like they used to. As much as change happens, we can always keep/buy our older, simpler tech for a time, or get the newest gadget/toy/vehicle and adjust to the new.

Just my thoughts on it. I'll certainly test ride one if/when it comes out, and if it beckons, I might give in, but I'm quite happy with the 2013 I just bought and don't see that changing for a long time.

wjduke
02-25-2016, 05:32 AM
Keeping it simple is fine, but...from 74 to today required a lot of changes and upgrades. All I'm saying is, I've been narrow minded all my life and have missed out on a lot. Sometimes change is good. I'm in the tire business. Look how they've evolved. There's still talk and experiments about airless tires. Give them a chance and see what they come up with. As long as it doesn't look funky, the new stuff might be awesome. Looks go a long way. They could blow it up with that alone.

I'm just trying to open my horizons in my "old" age.

Jimmytee
02-25-2016, 06:05 AM
Bring it on. Look forward to see what comes. Hopefully the F6B will continue to be a part of the Gold Wing Line up.

114th COBRA
02-25-2016, 06:43 AM
At 69, I'm just looking forward to enjoying my F6B, and will let the youngsters deal with any future changes and newly developed technology. :icon_biggrin:

willtill
02-25-2016, 06:51 AM
At 69, I'm just looking forward to enjoying my F6B, and will let the youngsters deal with any future changes and newly developed technology. :icon_biggrin:

Ya, and first year model bikes are for the general public beta testers. Let them get the bugs and recalls worked out first. :icon_wink:

shooter
02-25-2016, 07:36 AM
Patch , for a second post , that was epic. I'm gonna talk to Phantom for ya. You should get credit for 4 or 5 posts for that one.

Retired Army
02-25-2016, 08:58 AM
The perfect motorcycle is available to all that can afford to have it produced to personal specifications. Taking this into consideration I would imagine that no two would be exactly the same.

Dave Ritsema
02-25-2016, 11:20 AM
I embrace change but I will state that I am glad I got mine when I did. All that tech is going to take several years to get worked out. Many people feel like there has to be large changes in vehicles every few years, in many cases they just want that differentiation to show everyone they have the "new" model. As it normally takes a few model years to work out the kinks the manufacturers are just getting things running smoothly when they shift gears to the latest and greatest iteration of their product.

I like the fact that my 2015 has had many years to be optimized and fine tuned and it doesn't bother me at all that it won't be the latest thing in 2017. Maybe in 2025 I will consider a new one. :icon_lol:

opas ride
02-25-2016, 11:36 AM

I'm with you my friend..Just hit 76 years old and love my F6B as it is. Too many "gadgets" just make for more issues and potential problems and at my age I agree with just KISS!!!....Let the younger generations deal with "techie" stuff.....I bought my bike to ride and enjoy, not play with a lot of stuff that really one does not need.....JMHO...Ride safe

Sorcerer
02-25-2016, 02:51 PM
2017, so you too can practice distracted riding.🙈🙉🙊

114th COBRA
02-25-2016, 03:15 PM
I'm with you my friend..Just hit 76 years old and love my F6B as it is. Too many "gadgets" just make for more issues and potential problems and at my age I agree with just KISS!!!....Let the younger generations deal with "techie" stuff.....I bought my bike to ride and enjoy, not play with a lot of stuff that really one does not need.....JMHO...Ride safe

CONGRATS ON THE 76. HOPE THERE ARE MANY MORE FOR YA. STAY SAFE.

98valk
02-25-2016, 06:53 PM
Sounds pretty cool. I'm glad to be around to see it.

I'd like to see them make the trunk removable. Imagine if the bags came off, too! You could go from a Valkyrie, to an F6B, to a full Wing! All in one bike.

I'm glad that I like my bike enough to keep it for several more years while this gets sorted out.

jm21ddd15
02-25-2016, 08:43 PM
Yup, old school here too. I like the 6 just the way it is. I won't buy a bike that has an auto tranny. This bike is plenty fast for its size and style. Saving a few fractions of a second on a gear shift is not that important to me. If I was in my 20's, well maybe, but , then I'd most likely be on a crotch rocket, not a Cruiser/Tourer.

ShanghaiDan
02-25-2016, 11:00 PM
Being new to the Goldwing, when I read this the only thoughts I had were about the transmission and what they would be doing by going hybrid on the engine. I've ridden on a DCT bike the last year and a half and I'm a huge fan of it, if they do it correct on the goldwing. The NM4, NC700X and Africa Twin DCT bikes are crazy fun. The biggest problem with the DCT bikes thus far has been the manual shift system being paddle shifters...which, frankly, suck.Note that Honda offers a foot shifter option for the CTX700/NC700/NM4 bikes, but you have to order the kit from overseas. Bolts right where the original shifter went, plugs into the factory harness - and then it automatically disables the paddle shifters. So you can do full foot-only shifting in manual mode, or leave it in automatic mode when crawling through traffic or parking lots!

Cool Hand Luke
02-25-2016, 11:26 PM

I'd like to see them make the trunk removable. Imagine if the bags came off, too! You could go from a Valkyrie, to an F6B, to a full Wing! All in one bike.

I'm glad that I like my bike enough to keep it for several more years while this gets sorted out.

I agree, the removable trunk woud be cool. I'm also happy to keep mine longer!

Greg O
02-26-2016, 10:06 AM
I am looking forward to what Honda has in store for the new Wing. Honda Corp. in general is a very innovative company to begin with. Gadgets,gadgets,gadgets give them to me I'll take them all.

Cool Hand Luke
02-26-2016, 11:06 AM

stevenolts
02-26-2016, 11:30 AM
I would love to have a removable trunk and bags (a convertible bike - Full Goldwing, F6B, and sporty Valkyrie all in one bike sound neat) the fairing is fantastic so I don't want that messed with.

I would like to see better handling if they can do it / pegs that are higher that do not scrape as easily. Hillibars adjustable and better stability standard.

I would like more powerful speakers and a stereo with all the additions I have added / built in Bluetooth etc... / all the new tricks etc..

A good comfortable, adjustable seat / windshield that is power adjustable / suspension that is power adjustable / riding modes / and more power could never hurt.

I think the auto when needed might be nice but sounds like added complications that break down. I love shifting myself / I drive a stick in any car when ever I can get it.

And of course the newly added features that are on the newer and deluxe bikes. (cruise control, self cancelling turn signals, heated grips, reverse)

Also top quality paint with a good indestructible clear coat.

I am not asking for much am I.

I am in love with this bike the way it is (this is just a dream list)
Steve

Circle-5
06-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Artist conception (or deception) of the 2017 GoldWing with 1200cc flat-4 gasoline engine and high-torque electric-hybrid drivetrain. Also featuring monoshock, adaptive anti-dive, triangulated front fork, dual-clutch DCT 7-speed transmission with reverse, electric windscreen, selectable engine ECU maps and traction control adjustments with pre-programmed riding modes.

The front shock compression is regulated by the front brake pressure. The new "perimetric" frame is made up of two, separate and un-connected aluminum castings (front and rear) with the engine block serving as the center component. A flat-6 gasoline engine option is expected.

Illustration and translation from Moto Revue magazine in France. Most of this data comes from the ongoing onslaught of patent filings by Honda.

opas ride
06-24-2016, 03:35 PM
This drawing seems to make the most sense to me on any changes, if any, to the 2017 and beyond Goldwing..Honda needs to change their "flagship" model after all these years if they expect to stay competitive in the touring bike market....Technology is moving forward and Honda has not really kept up recently, but knowing Honda over they years they know what they are doing in most cases......JMHO

stevenolts
06-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Have you seen the new FZ-10?

ReserveBum
06-25-2016, 07:14 AM
Ya, and first year model bikes are for the general public beta testers. Let them get the bugs and recalls worked out first. :icon_wink:

Yea let them do that....oh shit, thats us (2013 F6B owners). Kinda worked out didnt it?

shooter
06-25-2016, 07:31 AM
They're going the other way for me. Bump this baby up to 2 Litres , 150 HP , and 160 TQ. Somehow lose 50 lbs of weight and improve the front suspension. Built in navigation , and improve the factory stereo. That's it for me.

Jimmytee
06-25-2016, 08:18 AM
One thought I had was that there is a growing F6B fan base installing the larger front wheels for that custom Bagger look. That new front end would make that an impossibility .
Me, I likr the looks of the larger front wheels, but I prefer the handling functionality.:icon_wink:

shooter
06-25-2016, 08:29 AM
Yeah it would look good with a 21. 23 even better. 21 might not affect the handling.

TailGunner
06-25-2016, 08:49 AM

BINGO! This isn't aimed at us but the ones coming after and you know this younger gerneration love their tech stuff!

mercator1
06-25-2016, 07:39 PM

True. There's no reason to have the F6B and regular GW. Just design a great looking convertible bike. Need the top case? Put it on.

mercator1
06-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Artist conception (or deception) of the 2017 GoldWing with 1200cc flat-4 gasoline engine and high-torque electric-hybrid drivetrain. Also featuring monoshock, adaptive anti-dive, triangulated front fork, dual-clutch DCT 7-speed transmission with reverse, electric windscreen, selectable engine ECU maps and traction control adjustments with pre-programmed riding modes.

The front shock compression is regulated by the front brake pressure. The new "perimetric" frame is made up of two, separate and un-connected aluminum castings (front and rear) with the engine block serving as the center component. A flat-6 gasoline engine option is expected.

Illustration and translation from Moto Revue magazine in France. Most of this data comes from the ongoing onslaught of patent filings by Honda.

That is hideous looking.

Paul B Blues
06-26-2016, 11:40 AM
I can see it's ribs! It needs to eat something :yikes:

khahn
06-26-2016, 04:49 PM
If Honda is really updating the wing, good on them. It's too good of a platform to let fade away. As far as all the new gadgets, well I'm not really interested. Heck, I still am not sure I like this electric start thing in place of a good old kick start lever.:icon_lol: