PDA

View Full Version : Your summer trips ?

choptop
02-25-2016, 09:27 AM
Well, recent retarment has opened up a lot of possibilities, getting them past the significant other is another story.:icon_rolleyes:
Last year the 10 day Yellowstone trip, my first real extended bike vacation, gave me the bug. I have pretty much committed to the Allegheny Mountains ride in Pa then up threw the Mi upper peninsula and down threw Minn, 10 days, appx.

Planning on a week in Sturgis and then the Rally in Russsleville along w/as many weekenders as possible. I have a pretty understanding S.O., younger and has to still work for a number of years so hopefully all will be well.:icon_cool:

Your plans ?

Nero
02-25-2016, 09:36 AM
Well, recent retarment has opened up a lot of possibilities, getting them past the significant other is another story.:icon_rolleyes:
Last year the 10 day Yellowstone trip, my first real extended bike vacation, gave me the bug. I have pretty much committed to the Allegheny Mountains ride in Pa then up threw the Mi upper peninsula and down threw Minn, 10 days, appx.

Planning on a week in Sturgis and then the Rally in Russsleville along w/as many weekenders as possible. I have a pretty understanding S.O., younger and has to still work for a number of years so hopefully all will be well.:icon_cool:

Your plans ?
Back up to Torrey Utah this Late Spring, did it on my Ducati ST3 last year. At least one trip up to Napa CA, in early Summer. Then a bunch of overnights in Northern Arizona, Show Low,etc...

choptop
02-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Back up to Torrey Utah this Late Spring, did it on my Ducati ST3 last year. At least one trip up to Napa CA, in early Summer. Then a bunch of overnights in Northern Arizona, Show Low,etc...

:yes:

Willl
02-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Congratulation on the retirement :clap2:

taxfree4
02-25-2016, 10:47 AM

Your plans ?

Congratulations, you will love it, 8 years this year for me, wife is still working. There is a little resentment, whether they admit it or not, but if you wake up with them and walk them to the car it takes the edge off... somewhat. Also have a hot bath and a glass of wine when they get home once a week and you'll be good to go. The voice of experience.

GaTeach
02-25-2016, 12:15 PM
I'm riding to Denver in June for a wedding at Rocky Mountain National Park. I can't stinkin' wait.

valkmc
02-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Congratulations, you will love it, 8 years this year for me, wife is still working. There is a little resentment, whether they admit it or not, but if you wake up with them and walk them to the car it takes the edge off... somewhat. Also have a hot bath and a glass of wine when they get home once a week and you'll be good to go. The voice of experience.

Good advice I'm set to retire in a couple of years and the wife is 13 years younger than me. I was wondering how to "take the edge" off.

taxfree4
02-25-2016, 01:37 PM
Good advice I'm set to retire in a couple of years and the wife is 13 years younger than me. I was wondering how to "take the edge" off.

Make them happy, cook them meals when they get home, make one weekend day all theirs and use the other one to ride. As far as you go, I volunteer at the local VA 2 days a week, I expanded closets for her, more shoes makes them very happy, and you will get into your own routine, it will evolve naturally. 13 years younger, my hero. In keeping with the thread, so Tony won't chew my ass out for hijacking it, I'm going to try and do Int. 90 to CA. Did 80, 70/40 looking to pick up all those other states. BTW, how did you miss Idaho?

choptop
02-25-2016, 02:24 PM

Mine is 12 years younger, works at an old folks home, I tell her it is good training for taking care of me.:icon_lol: I have trained her well, a coup[le of years ago I had permission to go to Jamaica a few years ago, by myself.:yes:

DaWadd
02-25-2016, 02:27 PM
Planning a ride thru the Canadian Rockies to Vancouver island this summer. Would like to swing down stateside but our dollar sucks bigtime. "coffee"

Travelor
02-25-2016, 03:28 PM
Both me and S/O retired this year, and she loves to ride (she looks at the scenery and writes memoirs in her head), I drive. Going to trailer the F6B to Sedona in a bit for 2 weeks of early sunshine. Then sometime in summer will do the annual trip to Ocean City/Cape May, probably this year via Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes, Pocono's, Willow Grove, PA (have family there) Jersey Shore and then home via I-76, I-80 (across the totally boring northern parts of Ohio and Indiana) and then the death defying freeways of Chicago. Other rides to Door County, and possibly a Traverse City, Marquette, Green Bay and home Lake Michigan loop. Then the Rally in the Fall. Should be a full summer!

Jhox
02-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Long time riding buddy and I are going to take the bikes (he rides a CTX1300) on the Auto Train (to avoid 1000 miles each way on I-95) to Virginia. From there, into Washington, DC for the Memorial Day weekend Rolling Thunder / Ride-to-the-Wall. After that, a week or so bouncing around Pocono Mountains, Amish country, and up to Lake George, NY for Americade. Will hit Vermont for sure, and maybe a day or two in Canada. Then back to Florida. We've done several prior trips of 3,500 - 4,000 miles and really looking forward to this one.

wjduke
02-25-2016, 04:48 PM
My big trip is getting to the rally and back. First leg is two 600 mile days back to back, then the third day is another 350 or so. Sounds like an easy 4,000 mile week for me, if the weather is good to us. Have to get in riding condition this summer. A ton of miles planned. Easily the most I'll do in a season for up here. I did 10,000 a year on my M109. Have 2,100 on it already and it's winter.

taxfree4
02-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Mine is 12 years younger, works at an old folks home, I tell her it is good training for taking care of me.:icon_lol: I have trained her well, a coup[le of years ago I had permission to go to Jamaica a few years ago, by myself.:yes:

That could be dangerous, everybody has a cell phone now and it's on the Internet in 60 seconds.
I want to try Interstate 90 to CA. picking up Int. 5 south in Washington State. (Previous statement issued to abide by the non-hijacking thread rule CTR. 510.65)

vstar09
02-25-2016, 06:05 PM
Retirment set for me sometime in mid April....gotta go get a hernia done on the companys dime first....Then many road trips to southern Ohio, Thats the S/O favorite place to ride.....Heading to the smokies with the guys in July....Good thing the S/O doesn't care if I take road trips with the guys as long as she gets her short weekend trips in....all is good..!

Travelor
02-25-2016, 07:05 PM
Long time riding buddy and I are going to take the bikes (he rides a CTX1300) on the Auto Train (to avoid 1000 miles each way on I-95) to Virginia. From there, into Washington, DC for the Memorial Day weekend Rolling Thunder / Ride-to-the-Wall. After that, a week or so bouncing around Pocono Mountains, Amish country, and up to Lake George, NY for Americade. Will hit Vermont for sure, and maybe a day or two in Canada. Then back to Florida. We've done several prior trips of 3,500 - 4,000 miles and really looking forward to this one.

if you are a history buff, in addition to many other historical sites in and around Amish country in PA is a restored Iron Forge called Hopewell Furnace. Most of the buildings have been restored. It a National Historic site, and is located just south of Birdsboro Pa near French Creek State Park. That area, Berks and Bucks county north and west of Phila is loaded with history. Also New Hope, on the Delaware just north of Washington's Crossing. At any rate, sounds like a great time and a wonderful trip.

Jhox
02-25-2016, 07:26 PM
if you are a history buff, in addition to many other historical sites in and around Amish country in PA is a restored Iron Forge called Hopewell Furnace. Most of the buildings have been restored. It a National Historic site, and is located just south of Birdsboro Pa near French Creek State Park. That area, Berks and Bucks county north and west of Phila is loaded with history. Also New Hope, on the Delaware just north of Washington's Crossing. At any rate, sounds like a great time and a wonderful trip.

Yes, I used to live near Philadelphia so I have seen some, but not all, of those areas. Thanks for the suggestions.

jm21ddd15
02-25-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm riding to Denver in June for a wedding at Rocky Mountain National Park. I can't stinkin' wait.

Enjoy the mountains, but bring some warm gear. I crossed Rocky Mtn National park in the 1st week of August- in 2005, and had 2 inches of snow at the top. It was not fun. Hope you have better weather!

carpdm
02-25-2016, 09:23 PM
I'm riding to Chico Hot Springs MT in early June for a wedding. Have thoughts of making my way to Nashville in August. More later...

choptop
02-25-2016, 09:59 PM
I'm riding to Chico Hot Springs MT in early June for a wedding. Have thoughts of making my way to Nashville in August. More later...

Being some what of a fan of modern country, I have heard that Nashville's music row is supposed to be a lot of fun, want to get their this year.

hardtail
02-27-2016, 10:47 AM
Already have a room for the rally in Sept. Am considering leaving there heading west. Las Vegas bike week is the next weekend and I know people who will be there. Never been to Vegas before. Then a southern route(warmer) back home. Thinkin about it.

GaTeach
02-27-2016, 02:28 PM
Already have a room for the rally in Sept. Am considering leaving there heading west. Las Vegas bike week is the next weekend and I know people who will be there. Never been to Vegas before. Then a southern route(warmer) back home. Thinkin about it.

That sounds amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. Stop by here on your way back. I promise you October is nothing short of GLORIOUS in Northeast Georgia.

hardtail
02-28-2016, 09:46 PM
That sounds amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. Stop by here on your way back. I promise you October is nothing short of GLORIOUS in Northeast Georgia.

I'm sure it is. Little bit to work out but I'm thinkin on it. Just wondering, if this works out I need a new Dawsonville Pool Room shirt. My old one fell apart years ago. Can you still buy one?

GaTeach
02-29-2016, 06:54 AM
I'm sure it is. Little bit to work out but I'm thinkin on it. Just wondering, if this works out I need a new Dawsonville Pool Room shirt. My old one fell apart years ago. Can you still buy one?

As far as I know and there is a brand new Racing Hall of Fame there in Dawsonville (primarily dedicated to Cryin Bill from Dawsonville) AND it is a beautiful ride from my house to Dawsonville.

I know the IRS tried to shut down the pool room a couple of years ago and the regulars raised money and paid the tax bill. It was one of my grandparents favorite places to eat. Their burgers are fantastic.

Hope it works out!

hardtail
02-29-2016, 10:27 PM
As far as I know and there is a brand new Racing Hall of Fame there in Dawsonville (primarily dedicated to Cryin Bill from Dawsonville) AND it is a beautiful ride from my house to Dawsonville.

I know the IRS tried to shut down the pool room a couple of years ago and the regulars raised money and paid the tax bill. It was one of my grandparents favorite places to eat. Their burgers are fantastic.

Hope it works out!

Cool! If I'm lucky enough to make this work I'll buy lunch.

GaTeach
03-07-2016, 07:25 AM
Cool! If I'm lucky enough to make this work I'll buy lunch.

ERNIE! I stopped at the Pool Room yesterday! No t-shirts! I hope that doesn't deter you from visiting! :)

hardtail
03-07-2016, 09:34 PM
ERNIE! I stopped at the Pool Room yesterday! No t-shirts! I hope that doesn't deter you from visiting! :)

Don't really need another shirt anyway but thanks for checking. If this works out I still have to eat so I'm still buying!

Injun Joe
03-08-2016, 07:35 AM
For me it's all about money. I'll ride as far and as often as my $$$ will take me. ;)

GaTeach
03-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Don't really need another shirt anyway but thanks for checking. If this works out I still have to eat so I'm still buying!

Hey Ernie! You're not gonna believe this, but after 19,000 miles I finally got an upgrade/accessory on my bike. :) Cap'n Bob gave me the carpet saddlebag liners. :)

shooter
03-08-2016, 09:43 AM

Hope it works out!

Teach that was 'Awesome Bill from Dawsonville' referring to Bill Elliot one of the greatest NASCAR drivers of all time.

GaTeach
03-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Teach that was 'Awesome Bill from Dawsonville' referring to Bill Elliot one of the greatest NASCAR drivers of all time.

Dumbass Bill from Dawsonville

But really....he was the first to win the Winston Million....big money back then.....Million Dollar Bill.

But I love Dawsonville and it's a beautiful ride over there from my house.

wjduke
03-08-2016, 10:11 AM
His son is having a bit of a rough start this year.

hardtail
03-08-2016, 08:10 PM
YEEAAHH!! I'm happy for you Kelly. Let the BLING commence. And Shooter, just for the record, she made that remark to me before 'cause she knows I was a Million Dollar Bill(ford) fan. Don't make no never mind tho. I'll still buy her lunch long as she don't root for any of them hendrick chevrolets.

GaTeach
03-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Let the BLING commence. .jus

You just made me feel like the biggest sellout in the history of sellouts. Day-um

hardtail
03-09-2016, 09:43 PM
jus

You just made me feel like the biggest sellout in the history of sellouts. Day-um

Come on now. We all knew it was gonna happen sometime. Evolution(can't believe I used that word on a Honda forum). Besides, I put a Madstad on mine over the winter so I can't really hammer on ya. We're all gonna do it. Some of us are just slower and more precise about what we want.

blueverclear
03-10-2016, 03:00 AM
So I have a small kid, my baby boy who is 3, so I am pretty restricted to 1 trip a year until he gets a little older. This year I'm starting out on Monday September 12th, leaving New Orleans, la @5am and driving up to Barber Motorsports in Birmingham, AL to see the Motorcycle Museum (not my first time but will have a guy with me and meeting some people who have never been). Next day, September the 13th we will leave Birmingham and go up through the NE GA mountains, meet up with my buddy :icon_biggrin:, ride the Georgia Dragon (The Suches Loop), and have lunch somewhere in Helen, GA. Leave Helen, GA to Warwoman Rd and then up to our hotel @ Lloyds on the River is Bryson City, NC. We be launching rides from Lloyds Wednesday - Saturday and driving 650 miles straight back home on sunday. Rides including the dragon(probably a few times lol), cherohala skyway, Moonshiners Rd 28, Fontana damn, blue ridge parkway, foothills parkway, and even up past Ashville around little Switzerland! Should end up being about 20 of us by Thursday evening. Can't wait to spend some time with my friends. It is going to be a great week, cant wait!

Grant

randy99ca
03-10-2016, 05:17 AM
I would like to do a ride through montana utah grand canyon during my 2 weeks off work at the end of July but with the poor canadian dollar don't think I can afford it. So I'll probably just tour my home province and visit vancouver island.

GaTeach
03-10-2016, 11:07 AM
So I have a small kid, my baby boy who is 3, so I am pretty restricted to 1 trip a year until he gets a little older. This year I'm starting out on Monday September 12th, leaving New Orleans, la @5am and driving up to Barber Motorsports in Birmingham, AL to see the Motorcycle Museum (not my first time but will have a guy with me and meeting some people who have never been). Next day, September the 13th we will leave Birmingham and go up through the NE GA mountains, meet up with my buddy :icon_biggrin:, ride the Georgia Dragon (The Suches Loop), and have lunch somewhere in Helen, GA. Leave Helen, GA to Warwoman Rd and then up to our hotel @ Lloyds on the River is Bryson City, NC. We be launching rides from Lloyds Wednesday - Saturday and driving 650 miles straight back home on sunday. Rides including the dragon(probably a few times lol), cherohala skyway, Moonshiners Rd 28, Fontana damn, blue ridge parkway, foothills parkway, and even up past Ashville around little Switzerland! Should end up being about 20 of us by Thursday evening. Can't wait to spend some time with my friends. It is going to be a great week, cant wait!

Grant

I'm going to have to call in sick from 9/13-9/23.

blueverclear
03-10-2016, 05:11 PM
I'm going to have to call in sick from 9/13-9/23.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

GaTeach
06-02-2016, 12:11 AM
Summer's here, y'all. Where we goin?

blueverclear
06-02-2016, 04:48 AM

We need to take some of the river roads around here and maybe go up to st francisville, that would be great!

53driver
06-02-2016, 09:15 AM

Goin' insane, slowly, but surely.

GaTeach
06-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Goin' insane, slowly, but surely.

How about get off your ass and ride your motorcycle? You Floridians are scared to sweat.

53driver
06-02-2016, 01:11 PM
How about get off your ass and ride your motorcycle? You Floridians are scared to sweat.

Oh man...did anyone else hear that? Sounds like a gauntlet went down hard and with purpose.

I guarantee I'm not scared to sweat - in fact, being a Marine, I love how it sucks to sweat.
But unfortunately, not all of us can live a singleton, truly independent lifestyle due to past life choices.

Somedays I REALLY wish I could.
Somedays I really think I should.
Then that reality stuff kicks in again......like trying to sell the Philly house and not lose anymore money.
But I digress......

I'm happy for anyone that has found something they truly love to do and can get out and do it as often as you have GaTeach.

GaTeach
06-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Oh man...did anyone else hear that? Sounds like a gauntlet went down hard and with purpose.

Then that reality stuff kicks in again.

SG has no problem outrunning reality. We've been doing it for over 29,000 miles

GaTeach
06-02-2016, 03:11 PM
We need to take some of the river roads around here and maybe go up to st francisville, that would be great!

What's in St Francisville?

blueverclear
06-02-2016, 03:23 PM
What's in St Francisville?

Its just a beautiful area with some great back roads. We need to go check out some of the plantations maybe too, that would be really cool

GaTeach
06-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Its just a beautiful area with some great back roads. We need to go check out some of the plantations maybe too, that would be really cool

Last summer we rode from Natchez to NO and I can't remember the route but there were some beautiful plantations out there. Maybe north of Baton Rouge?

GaTeach
06-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Last summer we rode from Natchez to NO and I can't remember the route but there were some beautiful plantations out there. Maybe north of Baton Rouge?

I'm a dumbass. I just looked at google maps. Yeah! We went through St Francisville last summer on our way from Natchez. Beautiful!!!

blueverclear
06-03-2016, 05:07 AM

I guarantee I'm not scared to sweat - in fact, being a Marine, I love how it sucks to sweat.
But unfortunately, not all of us can live a singleton, truly independent lifestyle due to past life choices.

Somedays I REALLY wish I could.
Somedays I really think I should.
Then that reality stuff kicks in again......like trying to sell the Philly house and not lose anymore money.
But I digress......

I'm happy for anyone that has found something they truly love to do and can get out and do it as often as you have GaTeach.

Yes I am definitely Jealous of teach being able to get all of those miles in and living in the most beautiful motorcycle area in the country, im soooo damn jealous!

blueverclear
06-03-2016, 05:07 AM
I'm a dumbass. I just looked at google maps. Yeah! We went through St Francisville last summer on our way from Natchez. Beautiful!!!

lmao that's the place!