PDA

View Full Version : LED Signal & Tail light upgrades/smart triple play

blueverclear
02-25-2016, 01:32 PM
One of the things I really miss about my vtwin was simply being able to be heard around town. So because of how quiet the F6B is, I decided that it was really important to upgraded the lighting when I first bought it. It came with the Back Off module which made the tail lights flash a few times which wasn't enough for me at all. Its still in great shape and a really good thing to have so if someone wants it, I would be glad to ship it to you for the cost of shipping.

My bike already came with white accent lights all over and under the bike along with the 960 driving lights and hid low beams which was a good start up front. I upgraded the front mirror lenses to the smoked lenses(I hate amber lol) and replaced the amber bulbs with some 10W 7443 led 6000k lights I bought on ebay for $15 a set. They always run and cycle off and on when the signal is activated. Looks really clean and unifies the lights up front which are all really bright. I also ordered the electronic flasher from SoCal MotoGear which corrected the fast flashing because of the leds.

http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800-LED-FLASHER-p/gl88nc.htm

In the rear, I felt there wasn't enough light from the 2 incandescent tail light bulbs so I bought a set of 4 red 7443 led lights @ 1000 lumens per bulb. The set of 4 was $35 on ebay. I replaced the 2 rear turn signal bulbs from amber to red along with the other 2 red leds going to the tail lights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191793203065?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I then added the universal smart triple play from custom dynamics which will allow all 4 red leds to run and brake while still allowing the 2 outside lights to retain the turn functions simultaneously. There are also about 10 different braking patterns you can choose from, some of which strobe while braking which I like, and you can even set the brightness of the turn signal lights to match the brightness of the tail lights.

http://www.customdynamics.com/tailconversion_kit.htm

I really love the look and the brightness of the whole package. When you are braking in the day time or at night, you have probably 10X more viability and the strobe really catches the attention of the cars coming up behind you which for me is really important.

They say "Loud Pipes Save Lives" which I think is true. Because I don't have that anymore, the added lights and strobe effects definitely make me feel a lot safer and much more visible in all conditions. I have attached a couple short videos of the tail lights before and after below, and some pics of the bike with the lights. I will also attach a video which shows the full range of adjustment and setting from the smart triple play(on a harley but same thing applies). Hopefully this can help someone else and for a total cost of $220 for the whole set up between the 4 led turn signals, smoked lenses up front, led tail lights, electronic flasher, and control module. I think you get alot more for your money in comparison to some other set ups I have seen online from other companies.

Video stock
http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w612/blueverclear/Honda%20F6B/th_20160211_230717_zpswtcchgxm.mp4 (http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w612/blueverclear/Honda%20F6B/20160211_230717_zpswtcchgxm.mp4)

Video after mods
http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w612/blueverclear/Honda%20F6B/th_20160212_183656_zpstsxlzzoy.mp4 (http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w612/blueverclear/Honda%20F6B/20160212_183656_zpstsxlzzoy.mp4)

Triple Play Full function example (on harley)
https://youtu.be/vcvsKf9jj5M

pics of my ride

Delta
02-25-2016, 04:57 PM
Thanks for posting this info. Where did you locate the Smart Triple Play? Did it come with posi taps or did you have to buy them separately? I was leaning towards SoCalMotoGear's setup; but, I like the idea of 4 LEDS lit up all the time for the rear.

Was Custom Dynamics wire color codes accurate for the F6B?
Nice write up.

Kdarmy
02-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Nice Mods!

If no one has asked yet, Id like to try that Back Off Module...Send me a PM and I'll send you the $$....Thanks!

Keith

blueverclear
02-26-2016, 03:18 AM
Thanks for posting this info. Where did you locate the Smart Triple Play? Did it come with posi taps or did you have to buy them separately? I was leaning towards SoCalMotoGear's setup; but, I like the idea of 4 LEDS lit up all the time for the rear.

Was Custom Dynamics wire color codes accurate for the F6B?
Nice write up.

I actually bought mine on ebay from a custom dynamics authorized dealer but you can order directly from them with no problem also. I did get the posi-tap and posi-lock that I need to complete the install which makes it pretty easy for sure even if your not that good at electrical stuff.

The color codes are spot on, I actually connected mine to the harness when the tail light comes out of the bike so that if I wanted to change the settings I could by just removing the tail light instead of taking off the hand rails and seat. I also could have mounted it somewhere under the right side or left side cover but I was unsure if I could get to the necessary wires from there.

The only deviation from the instructions was to connect the blue and orange wires coming from the triple play to the wire that powers the 12V accessory socket when the bike is turned on. The triple play needs to see 12 volts for these 2 wires and because of the canbus system you can get that from the running lights like the instructions say.

Grant

blueverclear
02-26-2016, 03:18 AM
Nice Mods!

If no one has asked yet, Id like to try that Back Off Module...Send me a PM and I'll send you the $$....Thanks!

Keith

Sending pw right now keith!

Hdnvn
03-01-2016, 05:19 AM
Hey there, the triple play specifies that the turn signal lights need to be "single intensity" lamps. These lamps you obtained, are all four the same or are two different from the other two. The picture indicates that all four are the same but the description seems to indicate two different types.

blueverclear
03-03-2016, 11:42 PM
Hey there, the triple play specifies that the turn signal lights need to be "single intensity" lamps. These lamps you obtained, are all four the same or are two different from the other two. The picture indicates that all four are the same but the description seems to indicate two different types.

All 4 of the bulbs are the same actually. I bought all 4 from ebay for like $35 I think. plug and play. You might have to flip the bulbs around to find which way makes contact but other than that it was really easy. All 4 red led bulbs are the same 7443 bulbs.

Hdnvn
03-05-2016, 06:22 AM
I just trusted your post and ordered up your links. Received both items (lamps, triple play) and am in midstream with installation. The LEDs are super bright man, hurts the eyes to stare directly at them. Thanks for the reply

blueverclear
03-05-2016, 11:42 AM
I just trusted your post and ordered up your links. Received both items (lamps, triple play) and am in midstream with installation. The LEDs are super bright man, hurts the eyes to stare directly at them. Thanks for the reply

No problem bud. If you have any questions just pm me and I can text you and I can help with the install

Hdnvn
03-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Installed and working awesome. I added one light to each turn signal section and wired to the light next to it making a total of six lights in the rear. I cannot imagine anyone NOT seeing my ass end especially with the entire row lighting up even brighter when braking. I programmed the center section to flash four times when applying brakes but the turn signal sections brighten as well. It's a really good system, I'm pleasantly surprised at how all the lighting matches even though we have the clear/red lenses. When lit if all looks uniform. As well the LEDs recommended by the post are a very good choice. Bright red and yes, they all were the same. Thanks for guidance, this is the way to go

blueverclear
03-07-2016, 10:56 PM
Installed and working awesome. I added one light to each turn signal section and wired to the light next to it making a total of six lights in the rear. I cannot imagine anyone NOT seeing my ass end especially with the entire row lighting up even brighter when braking. I programmed the center section to flash four times when applying brakes but the turn signal sections brighten as well. It's a really good system, I'm pleasantly surprised at how all the lighting matches even though we have the clear/red lenses. When lit if all looks uniform. As well the LEDs recommended by the post are a very good choice. Bright red and yes, they all were the same. Thanks for guidance, this is the way to go

Glad you got it working brother. Pretty easy install with the posi taps. I havent seen ANYTING on the market that gives you the kind of control you get with the triple play. Glad your pleased brother!!!

Maybe you can post a vid of your setup, i would like to see how the 6 lights look. Sounds great!

Grant

Delta
03-20-2016, 07:57 PM
I actually bought mine on ebay from a custom dynamics authorized dealer but you can order directly from them with no problem also. I did get the posi-tap and posi-lock that I need to complete the install which makes it pretty easy for sure even if your not that good at electrical stuff.

The color codes are spot on, I actually connected mine to the harness when the tail light comes out of the bike so that if I wanted to change the settings I could by just removing the tail light instead of taking off the hand rails and seat. I also could have mounted it somewhere under the right side or left side cover but I was unsure if I could get to the necessary wires from there.

The only deviation from the instructions was to connect the blue and orange wires coming from the triple play to the wire that powers the 12V accessory socket when the bike is turned on. The triple play needs to see 12 volts for these 2 wires and because of the canbus system you can get that from the running lights like the instructions say.

Grant

I just ordered these today. Did you use Velcro to secure the Triple Play behind the tail light assembly? Hopefully I'll do the install this weekend. I am confused by the deviation from the instructions you did. Would you please go into greater detail on how you connected the blue and orange wires to the power wire for the accessory socket. Why couldn't you simply use the tail light wire as that comes on when the bike is switched on? You last paragraph confuses me a bit. I get a bit nervous with wire cutters and a brand new bike, hope you understand. Thanx.

blueverclear
03-21-2016, 09:15 PM
I just ordered these today. Did you use Velcro to secure the Triple Play behind the tail light assembly? Hopefully I'll do the install this weekend. I am confused by the deviation from the instructions you did. Would you please go into greater detail on how you connected the blue and orange wires to the power wire for the accessory socket. Why couldn't you simply use the tail light wire as that comes on when the bike is switched on? You last paragraph confuses me a bit. I get a bit nervous with wire cutters and a brand new bike, hope you understand. Thanx.

Sure thing, basically the blue and orange wires coming from the triple play basically power the unit. The triple play must receive 12 volts to power up correctly which is the reason why you run a wire to the positive wire of the 12V accessory to give them enough voltage. From what I understand the running lights are only around 9 volts because they run through the canbus system on the wing, which is not enough volts to power the triple play accurately.

Grant

Delta
03-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Hey Grant, thanks for your help on this. My triple play arrived in todays mail, still waiting on the LEDs and the no load flasher will not be ready till 4/4. Anyway, I did manage to get the triple play installed and I took power from the accessory slot of the fuse box. There isn't a whole lot of room when splicing up the wires with the posi-locs. It works using the incandescent lights but blinks fast without the required flasher. I programmed it, bolted the light assembly back on, took the bike off the stand, checked my work; and, only the center running light was on. No brake light, directional back to normal speed but one side blinking bright while the other blinking dim. So a phone call to Custom Dynamic. Answered a lot of questions then I was told tech support would call me back in 30 minutes.

In the meantime I wired up my GPS to the accessory slot on the fuse box and just for kicks pulled that fuse. Damn fuse was blown. Changed the fuse and the triple play starts working again. Tomorrow I'll tape over all the posi-locs so that when I reinstall the rear lights nothing shorts out. I didn't see any bare wires but that's the only way to blow a fuse, right? What else might cause this?

Anyways, it's a load off my mind to have adequate lighting rear lighting. Nice mod Grant, thanks again.

blueverclear
03-24-2016, 01:52 AM
Hey Grant, thanks for your help on this. My triple play arrived in todays mail, still waiting on the LEDs and the no load flasher will not be ready till 4/4. Anyway, I did manage to get the triple play installed and I took power from the accessory slot of the fuse box. There isn't a whole lot of room when splicing up the wires with the posi-locs. It works using the incandescent lights but blinks fast without the required flasher. I programmed it, bolted the light assembly back on, took the bike off the stand, checked my work; and, only the center running light was on. No brake light, directional back to normal speed but one side blinking bright while the other blinking dim. So a phone call to Custom Dynamic. Answered a lot of questions then I was told tech support would call me back in 30 minutes.

In the meantime I wired up my GPS to the accessory slot on the fuse box and just for kicks pulled that fuse. Damn fuse was blown. Changed the fuse and the triple play starts working again. Tomorrow I'll tape over all the posi-locs so that when I reinstall the rear lights nothing shorts out. I didn't see any bare wires but that's the only way to blow a fuse, right? What else might cause this?

Anyways, it's a load off my mind to have adequate lighting rear lighting. Nice mod Grant, thanks again.

Yea the tech support staff over at custom dynamics are great and really helpfull. Glad you got it hooked up and working. It will be even better once you get the red led bulbs and the plug and play electronic flasher.

Grant

Delta
03-24-2016, 04:46 PM
The LEDs came in today's mail and I put them in. Man those things are bright. They really light the back of the bike up. Why Honda didn't use the entire light assembly as running and brake lights is beyond me. If the Blaster X strobes don't get their attention, nothing will.

blueverclear
03-25-2016, 05:50 AM
The LEDs came in today's mail and I put them in. Man those things are bright. They really light the back of the bike up. Why Honda didn't use the entire light assembly as running and brake lights is beyond me. If the Blaster X strobes don't get their attention, nothing will.

+1 I agree 100% I haven't seen anything brighter on a wing to date.

Joel S.
04-08-2016, 11:46 PM
I LOVE the just simple look!

My F6B Should be here in a week or so (2015 deluxe in Blue).
This mod WILL be happening!!!!!

Thanks!

Joel S.

Brewdog
04-09-2016, 06:06 AM
Blueverclear,

I bought a set of these LED's from Ebay thanks to your post !! They make a HUGE difference in the visibility for the two center tail lights. The turn signals are very bright, so I don't think a change is needed. I didn't buy the "triple play" because I purchased "Hyper-lite" U32 kit with the electronic blinkers built into the LED lights.

Together they are "out of this world" bright. Great stuff. Nice job on your bike!! Thanks for posting this. I'll put a picture up here later today.

blueverclear
04-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Blueverclear,

I bought a set of these LED's from Ebay thanks to your post !! They make a HUGE difference in the visibility for the two center tail lights. The turn signals are very bright, so I don't think a change is needed. I didn't buy the "triple play" because I purchased "Hyper-lite" U32 kit with the electronic blinkers built into the LED lights.

Together they are "out of this world" bright. Great stuff. Nice job on your bike!! Thanks for posting this. I'll put a picture up here later today.

Nice!!!! :postpics: lol no problem at all.

Grant

blueverclear
04-09-2016, 11:23 AM
I LOVE the just simple look!

My F6B Should be here in a week or so (2015 deluxe in Blue).
This mod WILL be happening!!!!!

Thanks!

Joel S.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Brewdog
04-09-2016, 12:06 PM
Nice!!!! :postpics: lol no problem at all.

Grant

Here's a pic. It snowed 6" here today and get another pic I need to make my way up to the garage. Welcome to Springter.

Nice and bright !!

20088 20090

https://youtu.be/qYhdrPoKyu0

Brewdog
04-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Here's a photo of the new LED bulbs and the original Bulbs. The new LEDs are great !

Craig_328
04-12-2016, 01:19 AM
Newbie here...what load equalizer do we need?

Thanks!

Brewdog
04-12-2016, 05:50 AM

Thanks!

Craig_328,

I didn't need any load equalizer to convert the just the brake lights. The turn signals I kept stock.

The Hyperlites (mounted beside the license plate) came with their own equalizer so nothing else was needed.

Hope this helps.

blueverclear
04-12-2016, 11:13 PM

Thanks!

http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800-LED-FLASHER-p/gl88nc.htm

this is the load equalizer you need Craig. Its a plug and play, makes things much easier.

Grant

adventurous1
04-14-2016, 01:14 PM
Ordering the Smart Triple Play from Custom Dynamics. When I called, they wanted to know how many screws the Honda F6B has to determine which harness to send me. Apparently it's a 1 or 2 screw set up. Can anyone tell me which to order? (I'm not at home now so I can't look at the bike).

Thank you.

Joel S.
04-23-2016, 11:06 PM
Ok!
As outlined in previous posts, This is an AWESOME visibility upgrade!
("Do these flashing lights make my butt look big?")

I am also a bit um... "persnickety" when it comes to my wiring. I'm not a fan of any type of "simple quickie wire splicing thingies". "Strip, Iron, Solder, Wrap", HOWEVER... That is JUST me. :-)

With that said, I wanted to put for some of my "Points of Experience" with this install for others to laugh (Seriously... Go for it! :-), but hopefully to not make the same mistakes that I either made, or COULD have made. (Learning from others mistakes is always LESS painful... :-) )

They give a very good reference for the wire color coding, however I found on my 2015, the Brake Light was brown (I think) with an orange (or red?) stripe (I'm partially color blind). Everything else was spot on!
With that said... MAKE A DIAGRAM. Keep in mind that the Triple Play unit has an INPUT side (Red Heat Shrink tape on that bundle) and an OUTPUT side (Black Heat Shrink). NOTATE these differences on your diagram. (Yes... I soldered the wrong "Brown lead" at first... )

If you are making your connections under the seat, the connector that you are probably looking for is JUST ahead of the cross member, next to the relay box, on the RIGHT side of the bike. It is grey (or "gray").

To give yourself a little more "elbow room", disconnect it AND the black connector underneath it.
(Remove the 2-3 cable straps that are screwed to the bike.)
CAREFULLY guide the 2 bundles and their connectors rearward under the cross member.
Unwrap the tape from the grey connector to where it joins the next bundle.

IF you are soldering your connections, check your wiring diagram BEFORE you start.
Check your wiring BEFORE you solder.
Check your wiring AFTER you solder.
(By the way... You DID put Heat Shrink tubing on the wires BEFORE you soldered.... Right???)

If you have the lights out of the lenses, but plugged in and youa re ready to test them... Put something OVER THEM to dim them.... Otherwise your eyeballs may retreat in agony only to be retrieved by a proctologist... (Yes... they ARE bright and you will lose the ability to see detail for a while if you happen to be looking directly at them when they come on. Don't be an idiot... ;-) (Yes... I am... Thank you very much! :-) )

If you have hooked everything up, and you have FOLLOWED the instructions and you have your LED's in place, go for the test! :-)

Whoops! Something isn't 'right? Your center tail lights light up and BOTH turn signals flash no matter which one you select?
You flipped the bulbs around for the center lights and now THEY don't light up, but now the turn signals work?
You've gone through and identified WHICH set of contacts on the lights need to go to "ground" and which need to be powered individually and you have made sure that ALL of your bulbs have been installed correctly...
Did you check your wiring?
Did you check ALL of it?
Did you happen to connect the orange an blue wires to the SECOND "accessory Screw' in the fuse block?
Not the top one, but the one below it?
The one that happens to be CONNECTED to GROUND????
Um... Yeah....
I NEVER would have thought that someone would have put a NEGATIVE connection in a fuse block....
Moved it up to the POSITIVE connector and VIOLA!!!!! We've got CORRECT lighting! :-)

(Don't ask how much time I spent trouble shooting before I found this with a multi meter... DOH!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: )

Good luck!

Joel S.
04-23-2016, 11:09 PM
Ordering the Smart Triple Play from Custom Dynamics. When I called, they wanted to know how many screws the Honda F6B has to determine which harness to send me. Apparently it's a 1 or 2 screw set up. Can anyone tell me which to order? (I'm not at home now so I can't look at the bike).

Thank you.

"How many screws"? (I couls SOOO be a smart butt here... ;-) )
I'm kind of curious as to what they mean because I just finished installing this (I used the Universal unit). and it works fine. ;-)

Joel.

Craig_328
04-24-2016, 01:40 AM
Ok!
As outlined in previous posts, This is an AWESOME visibility upgrade!
("Do these flashing lights make my butt look big?")

I am also a bit um... "persnickety" when it comes to my wiring. I'm not a fan of any type of "simple quickie wire splicing thingies". "Strip, Iron, Solder, Wrap", HOWEVER... That is JUST me. :-)

With that said, I wanted to put for some of my "Points of Experience" with this install for others to laugh (Seriously... Go for it! :-), but hopefully to not make the same mistakes that I either made, or COULD have made. (Learning from others mistakes is always LESS painful... :-) )

They give a very good reference for the wire color coding, however I found on my 2015, the Brake Light was brown (I think) with an orange (or red?) stripe (I'm partially color blind). Everything else was spot on!
With that said... MAKE A DIAGRAM. Keep in mind that the Triple Play unit has an INPUT side (Red Heat Shrink tape on that bundle) and an OUTPUT side (Black Heat Shrink). NOTATE these differences on your diagram. (Yes... I soldered the wrong "Brown lead" at first... )

If you are making your connections under the seat, the connector that you are probably looking for is JUST ahead of the cross member, next to the relay box, on the RIGHT side of the bike. It is grey (or "gray").

To give yourself a little more "elbow room", disconnect it AND the black connector underneath it.
(Remove the 2-3 cable straps that are screwed to the bike.)
CAREFULLY guide the 2 bundles and their connectors rearward under the cross member.
Unwrap the tape from the grey connector to where it joins the next bundle.

IF you are soldering your connections, check your wiring diagram BEFORE you start.
Check your wiring BEFORE you solder.
Check your wiring AFTER you solder.
(By the way... You DID put Heat Shrink tubing on the wires BEFORE you soldered.... Right???)

If you have the lights out of the lenses, but plugged in and youa re ready to test them... Put something OVER THEM to dim them.... Otherwise your eyeballs may retreat in agony only to be retrieved by a proctologist... (Yes... they ARE bright and you will lose the ability to see detail for a while if you happen to be looking directly at them when they come on. Don't be an idiot... ;-) (Yes... I am... Thank you very much! :-) )

If you have hooked everything up, and you have FOLLOWED the instructions and you have your LED's in place, go for the test! :-)

Whoops! Something isn't 'right? Your center tail lights light up and BOTH turn signals flash no matter which one you select?
You flipped the bulbs around for the center lights and now THEY don't light up, but now the turn signals work?
You've gone through and identified WHICH set of contacts on the lights need to go to "ground" and which need to be powered individually and you have made sure that ALL of your bulbs have been installed correctly...
Did you check your wiring?
Did you check ALL of it?
Did you happen to connect the orange an blue wires to the SECOND "accessory Screw' in the fuse block?
Not the top one, but the one below it?
The one that happens to be CONNECTED to GROUND????
Um... Yeah....
I NEVER would have thought that someone would have put a NEGATIVE connection in a fuse block....
Moved it up to the POSITIVE connector and VIOLA!!!!! We've got CORRECT lighting! :-)

(Don't ask how much time I spent trouble shooting before I found this with a multi meter... DOH!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: )

Good luck!

Help me out here...where are we starting...

Craig_328
04-24-2016, 10:19 AM
I attached my connector and my notes with the correct colors next to it. I'm assuming I will be connecting the orange to the blue on the module since I do not see a accessory wire provided? I read in here someone connected to the fuse box..which is pretty far in relation to where this grey snap is.

Next...I don't see the green yellow...I do see a green red..would this be my brake light?

There are my current two issues...no green yellow...and where to attach the accessory wire to....

Craig_328
04-24-2016, 08:15 PM
I attached my connector and my notes with the correct colors next to it. I'm assuming I will be connecting the orange to the blue on the module since I do not see a accessory wire provided? I read in here someone connected to the fuse box..which is pretty far in relation to where this grey snap is.

Next...I don't see the green yellow...I do see a green red..would this be my brake light?

There are my current two issues...no green yellow...and where to attach the accessory wire to....

All set and installed

Pringle
04-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Thanks blueverclear for the tip on these led's. Got mine in Friday and installed today. Super bright mod.

blueverclear
04-25-2016, 04:41 AM
All set and installed

Looking good Craig!

blueverclear
04-25-2016, 04:42 AM
Thanks blueverclear for the tip on these led's. Got mine in Friday and installed today. Super bright mod.

And cheap too! Lol no problem brother

Grant