PDA

View Full Version : Kuryakyn Tech Connect or Ram Mount; HELP ME!

Mufassa001
02-26-2016, 07:50 PM
I m trying to decide which mount to purchase, I want it as close to forward as possible, and both appear to be great mounts, but those of you with experience please share so I can make a decision!! Hey Thanks, RIDE ON!!

SoCal Rich
02-26-2016, 08:34 PM
I like these:
http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_139&products_id=8&zenid=nld02omtdt98uvl597i7e298k3

Steve 0080
02-26-2016, 08:43 PM
I like RAM mounts....

Mufassa001
02-26-2016, 08:44 PM
I like these:
http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_139&products_id=8&zenid=nld02omtdt98uvl597i7e298k3

"Thanks Rich, they look pretty simple, are they easy to remove and install, any special tools or gasket?

Big Cat
02-26-2016, 09:01 PM
I m trying to decide which mount to purchase, I want it as close to forward as possible, and both appear to be great mounts, but those of you with experience please share so I can make a decision!! Hey Thanks, RIDE ON!!

What are you wanting to mount?

Mufassa001
02-26-2016, 09:04 PM
What are you wanting to mount?
I want to attach my iphone6, guess I should have clarified :)

Amipro
02-26-2016, 09:25 PM
I like RAM mounts....

+1

Steve 0080
02-26-2016, 10:14 PM
http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=173

cosborn
02-26-2016, 10:32 PM
I mounted mine dead centre and took the power from an outlet i installed in the left cubby.

Chris

SoCal Rich
02-27-2016, 08:41 PM
"Thanks Rich, they look pretty simple, are they easy to remove and install, any special tools or gasket?

Easy, no special tools.

Mufassa001
03-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Does it require bleeding the brakes?

Mufassa001
03-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Easy, no special tools.Rich, do you have to bleed the brakes, or just remove screws and put back on?

stepbill
03-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Rich, do you have to bleed the brakes, or just remove screws and put back on?

You just remove the screws, take off the stock cover and replace it with that. It does not have to be bleed as your not lowering the volume of fluid. You even leave the diaphragm on, don't have to remove it, just the cover.

Mufassa001
03-11-2016, 02:36 PM
You just remove the screws, take off the stock cover and replace it with that. It does not have to be bleed as your not lowering the volume of fluid. You even leave the diaphragm on, don't have to remove it, just the cover.Thanks STEPBILL, much appreciated!!

BEIST
03-12-2016, 03:46 AM

I'm out in Downingtown if you want to stop by and see this setup. I use it for my iPhone and Wawa coffee

But I will warn you up front = your wallet will start leaking as soon as you see my bike. .batman-smilie.

RickW
03-12-2016, 06:37 AM
I have tried about everything that is available to us. A lot of times they give them to us to try.
I still like the RAM mounts. Seems like they are just easier.
That being said I don't use their cup holders myself, way to bulky, but everyone has their preferences.

stevenolts
03-12-2016, 07:46 AM
I like the Ram mount the best of the mounts I have had over the years. For mounting my big Samsung Galaxy S5 cell phone it is very stable with the x mount on top. It has very good tension but is still quick and easy to take the phone in and out. I feel confident that my phone will not fall out. It has held the phone for 13000 miles and I have even bumped it a few times but it held solid.
Steve

Big Cat
03-12-2016, 08:25 AM
I want to attach my iphone6, guess I should have clarified :)

If all you're doing is mounting an Iphone, and if you do not plan to run power to it, the reservoir mount solution as suggested by others is by far the easiest to install...and I have used this arrangement for several hundreds of thousand miles, and it works fine.

The "problem" comes in when/if you wish to add a power wire, and how do you manage that wire? I have done that as well, and it is possible to conceal the wire within the wire-management channel under the handlebar, but you still have to get it from the base of the handlebar to somewhere...and that is the part I have found somewhat problematic. Doable, but a little awkward...

For managing multiple devices with individual power cords, I have found the farkle shelf to be the most elegant solution. I fought the idea because I didn't want to lose my Flare windshield, but in the end, I am loving the fixed location for my GPS, radar detector and wireless controller.

Mufassa001
03-12-2016, 10:07 AM
If all you're doing is mounting an Iphone, and if you do not plan to run power to it, the reservoir mount solution as suggested by others is by far the easiest to install...and I have used this arrangement for several hundreds of thousand miles, and it works fine.

The "problem" comes in when/if you wish to add a power wire, and how do you manage that wire? I have done that as well, and it is possible to conceal the wire within the wire-management channel under the handlebar, but you still have to get it from the base of the handlebar to somewhere...and that is the part I have found somewhat problematic. Doable, but a little awkward...

For managing multiple devices with individual power cords, I have found the farkle shelf to be the most elegant solution. I fought the idea because I didn't want to lose my Flare windshield, but in the end, I am loving the fixed location for my GPS, radar detector and wireless controller.
Thank you Big Cat, I also have a flare and didn't want to lose it.I am using for just my phone which I can run the wire from the glove box, but, the wire may not stay in place all that well. So you did switch the windshield I assume, which did you get?

Mufassa001
03-12-2016, 10:16 AM
I like the Ram mount the best of the mounts I have had over the years. For mounting my big Samsung Galaxy S5 cell phone it is very stable with the x mount on top. It has very good tension but is still quick and easy to take the phone in and out. I feel confident that my phone will not fall out. It has held the phone for 13000 miles and I have even bumped it a few times but it held solid.
Steve
A friend of mine has one and he said he hit a hard bump and it almost fell out, I'm not saying it will happen because they sell a lot. I ordered a base and going to attach a kuryakyn holder to it, parts on order. The x mount is very easy to remove and get out, maybe I'm just a nut!

Mufassa001
03-12-2016, 10:17 AM
I have tried about everything that is available to us. A lot of times they give them to us to try.
That being said I don't use their cup holders myself, way to bulky, but everyone has their preferences.
Thank Rick, greatly appreciate your feedback!!

Mufassa001
03-12-2016, 10:33 AM
That being said I don't use their cup holders myself, way to bulky, but everyone has their preferences.Rick, what are your thoughts on the led rings lights for the emblem, easy to install? Look good? Stay in place? Too bright?

zeus661
03-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Mounting mine like this allows me to enter data while rolling. I can rest my hand on the handlebar and enter data with my thumb. I know it is not the safest thing to do but I do it.

blueverclear
03-12-2016, 11:47 AM
I mounted mine dead centre and took the power from an outlet i installed in the left cubby.

Chris

This looks very cool, first time seeing this.

I use the finger grip ram mount which works great! My phone or gps stays in place and never moves around. Great setup. Something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yScOs23xIs8

Big Cat
03-12-2016, 07:12 PM
Thank you Big Cat, I also have a flare and didn't want to lose it.I am using for just my phone which I can run the wire from the glove box, but, the wire may not stay in place all that well. So you did switch the windshield I assume, which did you get?

I went with a Windbender and like it just fine! It may not look as cool as the Flare...just my opinion...but it is adjustable, and that is a plus.