PDA

View Full Version : Flat 6 - Twin Turbo

Phantom
02-27-2016, 08:30 AM
;f1'

My first experience with owning a Flat 6 engine was a 1980 Porsche 911 Super Carrera

That car was a lot of fun and I regret selling it, however here is a video of a Porsche Flat 6 Twin Turbo blowing away a group of motorcycles including some Hyabusas. Insane and dangerous driving on a highway, I would never encourage this however imagine our GL1800 engines with a single turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlYDiT2Jok

stroguy
02-27-2016, 08:37 AM
Thoughts of Scrappy Doo .......lemme at em, lemme at em come to mind. That's a sick automobile. They keep trying but never win. A for effort.

Steve 0080
02-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Speed limit is 55....

Retired Army
02-27-2016, 10:20 AM
I believe that is what's referred to as the power to weight ratio advantage.

Ericb445
02-27-2016, 10:45 AM
This Guy put a turbo on his GL1800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gMB04-nMiY

53driver
02-27-2016, 03:24 PM
That guy should take his Turbo Gold Wing Car Tire and put it on a dyno and post the numbers!

Jimmytee
02-27-2016, 04:11 PM
That guy should take his Turbo Gold Wing Car Tire and put it on a dyno and post the numbers!

This is a copy of one of the e-mail correspondence I had with the guy who built that turbo GL.

Hello James

Yes it sure is expensive,
The big money is because there are a lot of one off parts that cost a premium to build or machine as there are no mass produced parts prices, the custom made gas tank alone is almost $2,000.00 then there's your turbo another $1.600.00 and it builds very quickly from there,
what you get is a reliable 188 hp and 230 ft lbs. of torque
On a resent trip I did with my buddy of 11,500 miles in two and a half weeks we did a fuel consumption comparison between his 2012 wing and my 2006 turbo wing
it turned out that anything under 50 mph we got exactly the same miles per gal, however over 50 mph and up, We cruised at 80 mph and up for hours on end and I consistently used 1/2 gal less then he did, I should mention the new tank holds one gallon more fuel then the stock tank so there is a big direness in overall range

I would also like to mention I designed and build carbon fibre kayaks made specifically to double as a cargo trailer for motorcycles, check out this video

Jimmytee
02-27-2016, 04:15 PM
This was his first email which included picture for everything involved in the installation.

Hello Jim

Thank you for your inquiry,
I have built only two kits one is on my bike now for over 120,000 kilometres, the other was sold to a fellow out in Florida
and I have lost contact with him.
To date I have had no problems any part of the kit or my bike what so ever, As for building new kits??? I have been too busy with other commitments to spend much time on them,
the other thing is it cost so much to build the kit (over $8,000 + installation ) that in spite of the huge interest from other gl1800 owners, buyers were rare if not impossible to find so I kind of lost my drive to get serious about building kits.
I can still build one but it may take a while as I am very busy rebuilding my shop these days

I look forward to your replies

Cheers
George

choptop
02-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Being one of those guys that want's more than he needs or can handle and aren't most of us like that, I would love one of those kits. But at 2/3 of what I paid for the 6, I will have to pass but if the members were to take up a collection to purchase and install one, I would be interested in trying it out on the 6.:icon_wink:

Jimmytee
02-27-2016, 08:54 PM
This is the contents of everything installed with the turbo.