PDA

View Full Version : Great experience at Cycle Gear

Davidk
02-27-2016, 01:03 PM
I was looking to purchase a Shoei GT Air helmet. According to the tables, my head size showed that I needed a Med. I had tried a few on at a local dealer and found that the XL is what felt good.

I ended up going to Cycle Gear. Prices are low, same as RevZilla. I would have to pay sales tax, but I was willing because I wanted to try on in person, rather than dealing with shipping.

I discussed the size issue with the manager and he was confident that I needed a large. He ordered one in for me. When I tried it on, I found the cheek pieces were exerting too much pressure. The manager said that he would order me a set of smaller cheek pieces which should solve the problem. These cost about $50. Not only did he not charge me for them, but he shipped them to me free because of my long drive - 60 miles.

After using the helmet with the smaller cheek pieces for several rides, I still found it too tight. I called Cycle Gear and they exchanged the helmet for an XL.

I am very impressed with their service and it is now my goto store.

CheesyRider
02-27-2016, 02:12 PM
It's good to hear about a business that knows good customer service.

I do wonder if the helmet you picked out has the right shape for your head. It seems strange that the size chart put you in a medium and the only helmet that fit was an XL.

Davidk
02-27-2016, 04:49 PM
It's good to hear about a business that knows good customer service.

I do wonder if the helmet you picked out has the right shape for your head. It seems strange that the size chart put you in a medium and the only helmet that fit was an XL.

Agreed. Medium was not even close. My previous helmet was XL also. Must be a fat head :)

wjduke
02-27-2016, 05:04 PM
My previous helmet was a large. I went to Cycle gear and they said it should be a medium. I ordered Bell Pit Boss and it's a large, but has an adjustable liner. I think it's manufacturer to manufacturer. Tires are like that. You can buy three of the same size, different manufacturer, and they'd all be different.

SoCal Rich
02-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Getting the right shape helmet is very important. Webbikeworld.com does a good job. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

shooter
02-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Agreed. Medium was not even close. My previous helmet was XL also. Must be a fat head :)

I know David pretty good and he does have a fathead.:joke: Seriously its like Duke said different brands vary on their sizes. Shoei runs a little small.

ShanghaiDan
02-27-2016, 06:02 PM
FWIW, the two have merged under one corporate umbrella. I like both of them - and feel good about the merger! I shop locally for some things (apparel) where I need to try it on. Order from RevZilla things that I already know (like certain gloves, tires, etc.) for things that I don't have to check out. And I'm hoping I continue to get great service from both!