PDA

View Full Version : Tired of "belonging"

willtill
02-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Just have had it tonight. Enough. Tired of being in a club where the expectations don't materialize. VFW, American Legion, etc... organizations that I have joined and see the true designs of the local "brethren" of the posts that I belong to.

Almost "effed" someone up tonight but my inner being told me to walk away. I did just that. It was hard and but I did it. I will not be "chit" upon... I'm not going to go into details of what happened... but I am actually amazed that I had tolerated what occurred tonight. Maybe old age and sanity are finally kicking in.

I don't display "colors" and have never really went for that. But recently I decided to wear a patch of a local veteran's rider's organization and now I am going to rip it off. It just isn't working for me.

I'm "Lone Wolf'ing" it again. It's the best solace that I can find, and am seemingly comfortable with. Enjoyed the last F6B rally in Franklin N.C and will attend this year's Russelville's Rally. Everyone is unique and contributes. Without an ulterior agenda...

Tell me about your memberships in local motorcycle organizations. The one that I just exorcised myself from tonight; is more interested in fund raising; than riding. :icon_rolleyes:

TailGunner
02-27-2016, 08:20 PM
Well for one thing, being in a club is not for you it's for the club so when you join you don't join for what they represent but what they do. Just make sure their activities are what you like to do before you join.

willtill
02-27-2016, 08:21 PM
Well for one thing, being in a club is not for you it's for the club so when you join you don't join for what they represent but what they do. Just make sure their activities are what you like to do before you join.

That is sage advice. Thanks for that.

shooter
02-27-2016, 08:49 PM
What I find around here is most guys are more interested in drinking than riding. I don't care if a guy has a drink but these guys can't pass a bar. If there is a bar every 5 miles then they stop every 5 miles. I like to ride. Drinking isn't riding. That's why I usually just ride with family.

stroguy
02-27-2016, 09:00 PM
At Russelville Phantom will be collecting dues for the hillaree campaign. And patches and tattoos are now required. Please bring plenty of cash.

3Chief
02-27-2016, 09:19 PM
I ride solo 99.9% of the time.

Airborne06
02-27-2016, 09:24 PM
Just have had it tonight. Enough. Tired of being in a club where the expectations don't materialize. VFW, American Legion, etc... organizations that I have joined and see the true designs of the local "brethren" of the posts that I belong to.

Almost "effed" someone up tonight but my inner being told me to walk away. I did just that. It was hard and but I did it. I will not be "chit" upon... I'm not going to go into details of what happened... but I am actually amazed that I had tolerated what occurred tonight. Maybe old age and sanity are finally kicking in.

I don't display "colors" and have never really went for that. But recently I decided to wear a patch of a local veteran's rider's organization and now I am going to rip it off. It just isn't working for me.

I'm "Lone Wolf'ing" it again. It's the best solace that I can find, and am seemingly comfortable with. Enjoyed the last F6B rally in Franklin N.C and will attend this year's Russelville's Rally. Everyone is unique and contributes. Without an ulterior agenda...

Tell me about your memberships in local motorcycle organizations. The one that I just exorcised myself from tonight; is more interested in fund raising; than riding. :icon_rolleyes:

Been there, done that, and came to the same conclusion as you. Do your own thing!

Nero
02-27-2016, 09:25 PM
I too ride solo most of the time. Once in a while I will ride with my son. There's nothing like a nice ride and friendly conversation with a stranger at breakfast. I've met some pretty cool people while riding solo. Frankly I never felt I belonged, anywhere.....

shooter
02-27-2016, 09:25 PM
I'm lucky , my best riding buddy is my wife. We don't need anybody else to have fun.

Cool Hand Luke
02-27-2016, 09:29 PM
I went to a few Goldwing Riders meetings. I fully expected that, after lunch, we will go riding somewhere. Never happened, they all just went home. I also was a member of HOG Chapter in Florida for a while. I actually enjoyed going on a few rides with some members there. I also rode with a club in SC. On one ride, they wanted me to lead the group, but one guy also said to avoid the curves as they are too old to ride them. That was the last time I rode with them.

In my opinion, motorcycling is difficult to do in a group. I do a lot of solo riding. My wife chooses not to go with me and I'm OK with that as I accepted that. I have just a few friends I like riding with, but it is hard to get together to ride as we all have our own lives and responsibilities. Also, I only want to ride with people that have similar riding skills with mine, otherwise it becomes a chore.

stroguy
02-27-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm lucky , my best riding buddy is my wife. We don't need anybody else to have fun.

Ditto......never had the gnawing need to ride in or belong to a group. I've ridden with Bill and Steve from here and that's about it. Hitched up with a stray rider here and there for no more than a mile or two and then parted ways. Welcome back to our club.

taxfree4
02-27-2016, 10:02 PM

Don't join them, don't want to, before you know it they have their own patch and bandanas and the scariest - the board of directors. If I want to go riding with someone, which I don't 99.9% of the time, I'll call them up and say "Hey, let's take a ride" no committee, no vote. You also avoid the "Johnny me-too" guys, the guys who whine because the other guy led the ride last time and now it's their turn or they always go to the diner the other guy likes but never go to his place etc. My father told me a long time ago "Walk alone and you'll walk further." Sound advice.

Phantom
02-27-2016, 10:06 PM
At Russelville Phantom will be collecting dues for the hillaree campaign. And patches and tattoos are now required. Please bring plenty of cash.

:what: ---- Who's Hillaree? Monica will be there to wash our bikes .:duck:

Stro, bring money she will be selling special Cigars.

53driver
02-27-2016, 10:57 PM
My father told me a long time ago "Walk alone and you'll walk further." Sound advice.

Wise man. Good gene pool mate.

Sorcerer
02-28-2016, 01:38 AM
I ride with 4 clubs, each is very different. Style, pace, group size. In 1981 I joined the group I still ride with now. I do any where between 28-35 riders a season withthem. Last weekend in April through the end of September.They are some what of a bar to bar. Wednesday nights are up to 50 miles, Saturdays up to 100 miles. Group sizes are 18-45 riders. Back in the 1980s a Wednesday evening ride could net 90 bikes.The next group is more of a touring/ sport group. That group takes brakes at gas stations. Ride sizes 10-18 riders. Lunch will be at a bar that serves real food. Rides are 200-375 miles. They have 2-3 riders a month. The next group is more of a sport touring group, again stops are at gas stations, lunch at a bar with real food. Use of drugs or alcohol at any time on a ride is not tolerated. Rides are 275-475 miles. Group sizes are generally capped at 15 riders. They generally have 2 rides a month.The last group rides only on Sunday's. Again stops are in gas stations. Lunch at a bar with real food. No alcohol or drugs are are to be consumed during the ride. This is a sight seeing group. No more than posted speeds in the straight aways and usually under the posted in the corners. The number of riders is capped at 8. Rides are 250-375 miles. With this group I've gotten as high as 50 mpg. The one thing in common with these 4 groups is that there is no politics, which is why I rided with and belong to them. I do have times that I want the solitaire run to clear my head.

114th COBRA
02-28-2016, 05:40 AM

+1 And when I take it out, it's 100 miles or more one way, or stay at home.

zzh54
02-28-2016, 07:11 AM
I have in the past belonged to groups, most are your average Sunday riding club. Some did the rides for the clubs and some for the ride. Once politics get involved it tears the group apart. Now I don't mind taking off Saturday and coming home Sunday alone, go where I want when I want.

bob109
02-28-2016, 07:17 AM

+1 No Fuss or Ado...point the bike in the direction "you choose" and ride:icon_wink:

Bob Penn
02-28-2016, 07:51 AM
I remember the best club was the old "Lower 40" club. They had only one rule; if you want to join fine, but don't bother us about it.
Most riders ride Harley's that explains the need for bar hoping.
Biking is like boating if your waiting for someone else to cast the lines off you'll never leave the dock!

Jimmytee
02-28-2016, 08:59 AM

I don't know which "Club" you are/were a member of.

I'm in the CVMA. Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association. The CVMA is an association not a club thereby to distinguish between what our group is and make no inference that it is a "MC" and the connotations and problems that go with being an "MC".

We do raise money and do have a couple of Veteran's charities that we support. We do, however, help veteran's individually by different means.

The feel or mentality of the group can vary depending on the chapter one is associated with. We do quite a bit of riding. As with any group, some have different ideas of what riding is.:icon_wink: Many of us , though spend a lot of time riding and sharing the wind just for the ride. I'm missing out on a great ride today, because I'm on call and the area several are riding to ( Eastern Kentucky) is too far away from home for me to answer an emergency call. :icon_frown:

Miks
02-28-2016, 09:31 AM
I sort of have this mentality...maybe just a selfish motive, but when I go riding, I am perfectly content with going it alone. At times I will ride with others, but it is because they know I have the good roads picked out, and it all falls into my schedule. When I say my schedule, I mean we will ride someplace, take a scenic photo or two, stop if something is interesting, and have a beer close to home before parting company.

I have tried a few group rides, I get tired of all the delays, the constant monitoring of the group so we all stay in the group, etc. I will do one of these on occasion, but I am not into these types of rides because it takes me away from the element of being on the bike and looking at the world and only having to pay attention to where the bike is going and what is ahead.

Fortunately my college roomate just bought a new Indian Chieftain, which he really likes to ride...after he got divorced and sold his BMW K1200Gt. Anyway, he is the "follower" type, so I just call, ask how many miles we should put on, and he is all in. We will stop for a beer on the way home, and call it a day. We once stopped at a place about 12 miles from home, had a beer and watched the poker run crowd stop in. They probably had put about 50 miles on the bikes, and were soaking up alcohol like prohibition was being re-instated the next day. Anyway, not my type of an idea for a ride, but the gang of bikers was about twenty bikes and they were having a good time by their standards.

Photo of the ride from yesterday.

DaWadd
02-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Don't own chaps or a doo rag so I don't join any clubs."coffee"

ReserveBum
02-28-2016, 09:54 AM
Great thread. I ride solo 99% of the time. Thought I was different but from the posts, I guess not. Like making my own destination, stops, and schedule. It does get occasionally concerning when I find myself in a place I probably should not be in and have no backup.
I do belong to a Legion Riders group but we only had two short rides last year. We do some fund raising through a winter comedy show but not a lot of other "Fund raising". Not too political (it cant be as we only have a few guys left who ride), but we do contribute monthly to various local and veterans causes. I did go to a "US Military Vets" meet but it was not for me....it is a MC and they were heavy into the "Fund Raising"

choptop
02-28-2016, 10:28 AM
I have ridden w/a riding club since '02, I was kind of adopted on a ride before some people pulled away from the original club, who's ride I was on, and formed their own club. They have a clubhouse in the presidents garage, have quarterly meetings, elect officers, have rides every weekend in the summer and do a lot together as a club. I live 50 miles away from the Cities, Mn/St.Paul, 70 miles from the clubhouse and don't get to do as much w/them as I would like to and maybe that is a good thing. They are the better part of past middle age adolescences that enjoy partying and I know my limitations and could not keep up w/them. Over the last 9 years of the Creamery Party I have laid witness to how we are getting older, each year people sneak of to bed earlier whereas in the beginning we used to be at the camp fire till 3or4 in the morning. :yikes:
I have never had a problem w/any of the nor visa versa as far as I know. prospects have a trial period and are voted on before becoming a member, if they are a good fit, yes, if not no.
I am not privy to everything that goes on but I know of a few personality conflicts that were nipped in the bud in order to keep peace in the club. I will be doing the Pa, 10 day ride w/ members from the club and Sturgis, it is always a good time.
Do not have a problem riding alone but would , for the most part, share the experience with another rider.

wjduke
02-28-2016, 10:49 AM
I remember the best club was the old "Lower 40" club. They had only one rule; if you want to join fine, but don't bother us about it.
Most riders ride Harley's that explains the need for bar hoping.
Biking is like boating if your waiting for someone else to cast the lines off you'll never leave the dock!

How true this statement is. I ride mostly solo, but do have a good few friends with M&C109's that actually enjoy riding. It's very difficult to gather a few riders for a group ride. It's the only "group" I'd belong to....people I know, who are similar to me and my style.

SoCal Rich
02-28-2016, 11:41 AM
I've been fortunate enough to find a group (not a club) via Meetup.com that has members from all walks and that have all different kinds of bikes. No group jackets, none of that crap. We enjoy each other's company, ride all over Socal almost every Sunday, and have fun acting sophomoric to relieve stress. They're into riding rather than drinking, unless of course we plan an overnight ride. Maybe you could find something like this on Meetup.

Old Ryder
02-28-2016, 12:27 PM
I rode with a lot of my buddies back in my Harley days. Not any more. At least 95% of my riding is by myself and about 25% has the wife on the back. I stop when i like, sight see when I want to, get gas when I need it and I never hear anybody else complain about anything I do while I ride. My buddy Mark has a Versys and we travel well together as we are both respectful of each others needs and wishes. We both give a lot and demand and expect little---so we do very well together. We do a few trips every year and are considerate of each other.

We have done about a dozen or so trips with others and larger groups of 5 or more but never more than 8. I got more stories about those trips than I can begin to type about and if I were talking to you it would take days. We had a bike week experience in Daytona in 2013 with 4 (what we thought were close) Harley buddies and we declared 'NEVER AGAIN"! My other buddy Frank has a 750 Shadow. If I am not with Frank or Mark, then I am alone.

My time on my mota sickle is exactly that! It is about having fun---and when the fun stops being fun, then it ain't fun anymore!

xgringo
02-28-2016, 04:51 PM
Back in the sixties I learned my lesson. I took my first motorcycle trip with a buddy from NJ to Moosehead Lake Maine. What a disaster!! Here I am fresh out of the service so sleeping out with or without a tent was what I expected along with living on canned raviolis and peanut butter sandwiches. This guy wanted his hot meals and I can still remember him repeating to me "do you know what I mean by a hot meal?" I'll also never forget checking into a motel while it was still light and him turning the tv to that wretched "come on down" game show.

My wife doesn't ride but we have recently started something that works well for us. She flies and I ride and we do our little vacation thing and I take a long way back. A very long way back as in central Mexico. We did Vegas in 2014 and Chicago in 2015. I mean how could I go all the way to Chicago and not go to Mazatlan for a photo op with my brand new F6B.

Enjoy!!

Tom

grendl
02-28-2016, 06:03 PM
I dont think I was ever into the MC or Club thing. Most of my time on my bike(s) have been alone and they have been the enjoyable ones.
I have a few friends I ride with and every now and then I ride out with the GWRRA chapter but most of it is solo.
When I'm riding ,I dont need the politics of the club or group either personal or organizationally.
When I want to 'scrape the pegs' or just cruise along enjoying the scenery is always my choice for as long as I want to do either.I feel ya on the experience of hooking up with a group having breakfast or lunch /dinner then go home ! WTF I dont do 'block riding'. I dont want to drink or smoke -the ride is the object and the high..

Dave Ritsema
02-28-2016, 06:31 PM
Never understood the need to be in an "MC". Don't feel the need to belong to something like that I guess. I also have no interest in the politics and having to live within someone's formal guidelines just to enjoy riding my motorcycle.
I have 4 or 5 friends that I ride with from time to time, works fine for me.

jm21ddd15
02-28-2016, 07:13 PM
When I was a young rider, I had to join the A.M.A. in order to participate in any "sanctioned" dirt bike events. After my competition days were over, well, that was the end of any group. I will say the A.M.A. has done some good for the cycle world. Now, like most on this post, I ride almost always solo. got a couple good friends that ride, but each lives several hours away, and they still work, so don't get to ride with them very often.

BIGLRY
02-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Been there, done that and I ain't writing a book about it.:icon_lol:
I've rode all my life and wore a few colors in my early years(still have the jackets in the closet). About the time I turned 30(I'm 65 now) I realized that my dad was right, he did not need anybody or any club to ride, he never rode with anyone all his life and enjoy riding until his passing. In fact I was having a hell of a lot more fun riding and enjoying the ride without the 5 mile bar stops or "100 miles is as far as I ride" quoits from guys who think a quick hop to the store on the corner for beer is a ride once I gave up the "club" mentality & attitude.
I know some guy are so socially insecure with themselves that they think the "club" is the only way to belong to something just look at a large majority of the weekend warrior/pirate HD owners.
I do sponsor one group ride a year "Up the One" with guys from my Calif. VTX riders forum, been doing it for over 14 yrs, but that is it.
Yet I am a 20 year member of one club and love it. We don't ride as a group, we don't have any chapters nor meetings, we just ride for the love of the ride. We are called the "Silent Skulls Lone Bikers" check em out if you want to see what I mean. http://www.silentskulls.com/

Silent Skulls Lone Bikers creed

With due respect to traditional motorcycle clubs, Silent Skulls Club was found out of our natural individual inability to conform to riding rules. We are a brotherhood of lone freedom on two wheels, freedom of choice not to lead or follow. We are not a "want to be traditional M/C", we can’t be a traditional M/C. We are not affiliated, supported, chartered or sanctioned by other clubs. Because of our non-organizational, non-political, non- traditional, non-club ways we ride alone. In crossing few areas our rights to the road have attracted attention from other clubs, know where you ride.

Maybe it's unnatural to conform or sacrifice to riding rules... Maybe it's the thought of no club restrictions or initiations... Maybe it's the lack of fear of being forced into expansion cracks, between double yellow lines or off on the shoulder looking for a back road out of a club... Maybe it's wanting to belong to a motorcycle club while not wanting to belong to anything... Maybe it's not being a lone biker by choice, but a protest of the traditional ways... Maybe it's having the courage to ride as a club alone... Maybe it's knowing all members are lone bikers like ourselves....Maybe it's the excitement of seeing another jacket in the middle of nowhere... Maybe it's the great feeling of pulling over at the end of the earth and being content alone... Maybe it's riding for simplicity and control over time and distance...Maybe it's not just about bikes, rules, bylaws and patches but about camaraderie with anonymity...Maybe it's because we ride as though it is an in-dissoluble love affair with our motorcycles and we view the destination as the end of a biker romance.

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD ?
"NO Hondas, Kawasakis, BMWs, Triumphs, Motor Guzzis, Harley Davidsons, Yamahas, Indians, or Norton motorcycles? NO ugly, pretty, dull, shiny, junky or show motorcycles? NO chopped, stock, stretched or stolen motorcycles? NO small or large motorcycles? NO bikers that are ugly, skinny, fat, tall, short, bad, good, evil, Christian, long hair, bald, dirty or clean. NO women, men, straights, gays, lesbians or handicapped bikers? NO black, brown, green, white, yellow or red bikers?"

YOU WON'T HEAR IT HERE!

We ride all walks of life, live all motorcycles, let live all bikers and accept all lone bikers who self-identify as one of us and accept our Club creed, philosophy and camaraderie

blackmetoc
02-28-2016, 07:49 PM
:what: ---- Who's Hillaree? Monica will be there to wash our bikes .:duck:

Stro, bring money she will be selling special Cigars.

Monica the humidor?

Ericb445
02-28-2016, 08:56 PM
I am more of the Lone Wolf type as well.
I prospected with a local club, six years ago. It was hard for me to give up my free time "My time to be riding" To have to sit and tend bar at the clubhouse and to be at the club members beck and call at any moment because they need help with some troubles I didn't cause.
Turns out they were more of a drinking club that occasionally road motorcycles. I'm still friendly with and hard feelings are had.

I have a few good friends from time to time that ride together. Big group rides drive me crazy, most want to go five miles and then drink beers bar to bar. I don't mind getting a beer, but the stops are at least 50 miles apart.

Pringle
02-28-2016, 10:04 PM
Man I totally can relate. I ride mostly solo, or with my wife these days.....I like to ride, not be parcel to a revenue generating entity, I get enough of that with the workplace. I do enjoy helping out good causes and have had the opportunity to serve on Boards of non profit groups that truly engaged in changing lives and that can be very fulfilling......just never mixed with my hobby and passion. I have a few close friends I ride with occasionally and have enjoyed weekend getaways and road trips from time to time, but am just content to hit the road and decompress solo.

gandydancer
02-28-2016, 10:53 PM
Good comments--spent 15 years of my life flying colors with a certain group here in Texas--at 39 found myself alone, wife and kids had had enough and I had more addictions then most folks could have survived--hooked up with CMA in 1998 and riding with those folks saved my life--still belong with CMA but last 5 years have not rode alot with them--like most of y`all I enjoy riding alone or with the wife on our annual MC trips---

Fla_rider
02-29-2016, 12:56 PM
Will- I added an app. to my phone called meetup. I connected with every bike group in the Tampa Bay area. They post before every weekend where they're riding. If it sounds worth doing I ride along. I don't go to meetings or pay membership, don't listen to membership BS. I just ride along. No Fuss!

Chas
02-29-2016, 01:17 PM

I agree, been with 3 different Vet riders. Only 1 was riding a lot, but they were afraid they might offend the outlaw clubs. The other two talk the talk, but that is where it ends. I didn't signup to be a busboy or waiter. I have since left that set up. I agree with one comment, that is what the Veteran Riders are after is donations, and riding is secondary. One quick instance that put it over the edge for me was one of the officers talked about (actually harped and harangued) the group about riding to the meetings. He had his vest on with a zillion patches. However, when he got done admonishing all for not 2 wheeling, he left and drove off in his big ol' pickup truck! That sealed it with a kiss for me!

wjduke
02-29-2016, 01:24 PM
I hope this is appropriate for this thread, but it's funny as heck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ERfv15EsI

GaTeach
02-29-2016, 02:21 PM
"Are any of them Harley riders?"
"No. Most of my buddies enjoy riding motorcycles."

Best line I've heard all day. (and you can believe I've heard some lines today.)

GaTeach
02-29-2016, 02:22 PM
BTW, thanks for the thread. I've had a struggle with this lately as well. Lots of good nuggets of advice here.

Thanks y'all.

Old Ryder
02-29-2016, 06:31 PM
"Are any of them Harley riders?"
"No. Most of my buddies enjoy riding motorcycles."

Best line I've heard all day. (and you can believe I've heard some lines today.)

One of the benefits of being a teacher. Free entertainment. (Anybody who works in the public school system has my respect-----and condolences at the same time)

vstar09
02-29-2016, 07:11 PM
I ride alone or with my S/O alot....have 2 buddies I ride with almost every Sunday....we bring wives or S/O along if they want to go...if not we just ride a few hundred mles and call it a day....stop for lunch and a beer and on the rode again....best thing...no one cares who leads or where we go...just friends out for a ride..!

Drive Jehu
03-02-2016, 07:53 PM
I'm with Kipling. ..."Down to Gehenna or up to the Throne, He travels the fastest who travels alone". :icon_biggrin:

Nightwing_67
03-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Over the years I have ridden with different clubs, and or groups with common interest. I found that the key was not to get rapped up in the "BS" of the politics or who is quarreling with who. I call up and say who wants to ride...you show up or don't, the kick stand goes up at a certain time and unless you called to say running late be there in a sec, I'm out...I had a royal star venture before my F6B. Yamaha had the "Star Club" not an official group (per say) but if you went somewhere and saw the patch, you'd say hi and smile knowing....just like this group...eventually I will run into one of you(and I will be looking at all F6Bs. lol) just to wave or nod and smile. so if you see me going by or stopped, feel free to say hello.:icon_biggrin:

Retired Army
03-02-2016, 10:15 PM
The Kokomo American Legion Riders hosted riding events to raise $3,000 to donate to building housing to accommodate 200 homeless veterans. Group riding with a porpoise and image enhancement of motorcycle riders. Group riding is not everyone's cup of tea. The common denominator with Legion Riders is members are vets and their sons and daughters. Group riding tends to raise the bar of situational awareness and risk management.

BEIST
03-02-2016, 11:57 PM

I am sincerely grateful to my parents because I have been riding with my younger brothers for forty years. This photo was taken yesterday and I think Bud's jacket says it all.

GaTeach
03-03-2016, 07:07 AM
The Kokomo American Legion Riders hosted riding events to raise $3,000 to donate to building housing to accommodate 200 homeless veterans. Group riding with a porpoise and image enhancement of motorcycle riders. Group riding is not everyone's cup of tea. The common denominator with Legion Riders is members are vets and their sons and daughters. Group riding tends to raise the bar of situational awareness and risk management.

I ride a lot with the three ALR groups that are closest to me. They are amazing, but in my opinion, it's because of their directors. All three of these groups do amazing things for veterans.

yellow rex
03-03-2016, 07:54 AM
I have ridden with and belong to the same club since 1977 and we still have a good time together, we are one of the oldest club
out there Tulsa Big Wheels M/C.

racer
03-04-2016, 01:10 PM

Was it a motorcycle club or a riding group or other organization?

Motorcycle clubs are very different than other groups.

willtill
03-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Was it a motorcycle club or a riding group or other organization?

Motorcycle clubs are very different than other groups.

Other organization.

MisterB
03-05-2016, 04:08 AM
This is web series I just came across that seems like something that would be enjoyable to anyone looking at this thread.
I've only watched the first episode so far, favorite line: 2 guys considering starting a motorcycle club, "We'd be one hundred percent one percenters!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSiJ_tY_Dk&list=PL5KhMzeZqzPTXIO86c26pk2tt_QrlJHw4&index=1

GaTeach
03-05-2016, 09:51 AM
This is web series I just came across that seems like something that would be enjoyable to anyone looking at this thread.
I've only watched the first episode so far, favorite line: 2 guys considering starting a motorcycle club, "We'd be one hundred percent one percenters!"
[]

OMG. That's not *my* favorite line.

"There's a YOU in c***"

Best ever

I'll be stealing

shooter
03-05-2016, 09:59 AM
I don't know about you guys but I'm looking forward to riding with my big club at Russellville. Its gonna be huge!!! Like Thunder on the Mountain!!! Well......... maybe not like Thunder , maybe like a soft rain. We ain't loud but we're proud!!!!!

Big Cat
03-07-2016, 04:02 PM
"I wouldn't want to belong to any group that would admit people like me!" (Groucho Marx)

stroguy
03-07-2016, 04:17 PM
I don't know about you guys but I'm looking forward to riding with my big club at Russellville. Its gonna be huge!!! Like Thunder on the Mountain!!! Well......... maybe not like Thunder , maybe like a soft rain. We ain't loud but we're proud!!!!!

More like thunder under the sheets. You and pup tenting when we was young......man I hope you are off broccoli and cheese.

GNW
03-07-2016, 04:21 PM

Ditto !!
Been riding for well over 55 years. My wife and I have been members of a few clubs starting in 1977.
If my memory serves me we were done with clubs in 1986. No need to give details cause we have all been there. My riding buddy is my wife !!
Oh yes she knows I keep up with Steve's Chive On !!:yikes:

VStarRider
03-08-2016, 01:43 PM
One of the benefits of being a teacher. Free entertainment. (Anybody who works in the public school system has my respect-----and condolences at the same time)

This is soooo true. I do not work in the classroom anymore, but I spent 12 years as a 5th grade teacher, and I have heard some doozies that I still talk about today. Here are my top three:

1st place: A 2nd grade girl..."Good morning Mr. Bruyns!" Me: "Kendra (not her real name), my name is not Mr. Bruyns. My last name starts with an 'N'." 2nd grade girl: "Oh. Well, good morning Mr. Nuyns!" (Mr. Bruyns is a real person who no longer works in our school district)

2nd place: 5th grade boy, coming out of the bathroom: " You DO NOT want to go in there!" (Class starts laughing) "What is so funny? There's a mosquito in there!"

3rd place: "Mr. *****, is passing above a 65, or below a 65???"

As for the thread:

This has been one of the most interesting threads I have read on this forum since joining five months ago. Like many others, I ride alone 99.9999% of the time. In fact, I have only ridden ONCE with another person in my five years of riding - my father - back in October 2014, on a 60 mile round trip along the Lake Ontario State Parkway. I took my wife a couple of times years ago, but after my accident in 2012, she has been slow to get back on. Hard to blame her.

I started riding as a commuter, when gas was $4/gallon. I purchased a 1982 Suzuki GS650 for $475 and put 11,000 miles on it while regularly achieving 48 mpg. It took a year or two before I actually rode a motorcycle for pleasure. Last year, I rode 7,000 miles, with half of it from commuting, and half from riding for fun. Therefore, I know little about the culture of motorcycling. I mean, I see the groups of Harleys roaring by, and the groups of sport bike riders, but until today, I did not realize there were so many who do not ride in groups and didn't realize how complex of a social structure many formal MC's have! I never once thought about joining a club to ride with. Never even passed on my radar.

I am also a snowmobiler, with double the miles on sleds as I have on bikes (not for long). It is a completely different structure than motorcycle clubs, at least as featured in this thread. We have 200+ snowmobile clubs in New York, with about 125,000 registered snowmobiles. I think we are 4th in this number in the US, behind Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan...anyway...Club activities include trail signing, brushing, bushwhacking new trails, grooming in the winter with $200,000 machines, etc. Most clubs have one, maybe two "club rides" per year and they tend to be very family oriented. If you are an active member of a snowmobile club, you probably aren't riding a sled all that often. Completely the opposite as motorcycling.

Chas
03-27-2016, 04:59 PM

Will,

I left Legion Riders because they were more interested in doing meals for everyone else than ride anywhere. Post 180 in Milwaukie, OR. will do 2-3 meals a month, wanting riders to volunteer to serve, cook, clean, etc. The only ride they schedule is a group grope to the ocean, ONCE a year. After that, you are lucky to see of more than 2-3 riders come with their bikes! I am with you on joining clubs. I join to ride and have fun doing it. Not to be a busboy or a waiter. I left that outfit and moved on. Right now, there are about 7 F6B riders in the greater Portland, OR. area and we got together on this forum and have started doing rides together. Maybe meet for breakfast and then ride or ride and stop somewhere down the road for lunch. No commitments just making riding the bikes as the priority. So far it is working very nicely. Bunch of great guys I have met here.

shooter
03-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Chuck that sounds like a good group. Some of the guys I ride with their priority is finding a place to stop and get a beer. I don't mind a guy drinking a beer but for me I like to ride. RTE is a good concept as long as their is a good ride involved. Sounds like you have a good thing going.

Bob Penn
03-28-2016, 11:47 AM
I was heading out last week on a perfect early spring day and ran into one of my neighbors who was busy washing and polishing his Harley three wheeler. The first thing he asked me was, "are you going on the up coming Legion ride"?
I asked him where they were going. His response was just around the county. I've been there done that. In a quick flashback, I remembered a bunch of weekend riders who are content to ride in circles with no destination. They didn't ride at a steady speed. They usually were running up a tailpipe and then hitting the brakes and again speeding up to hit the brakes again. It really wasn't my idea of fun. So I guess I'm not a real be-longer either.

However, I do like too ride with a group that has destinations in mind. For example, I'm currently putting a ride together on this site called "NE meet and greet"(look under forum planned trips.. all are welcome).
My plan is to meet up at a well known PA welcome center on I-84. There I will hand out a paper itinerary listing the destinations, approx. miles and planned routes to points of interest in the area. A mountain water fall will be the first stop approx. 30 miles from the starting point, where we will have a planned stop to view the fall and give everybody a chance to catch up; planned 15 minute stop. This way everybody can travel at their own speed and stop and linger and BS where they want. There will be suggested departure times from each stop and a planned lunch break at a favored Bakery 45 min to 1 hr stop. Eat fast or eat at your leisure depart when you want. You know the next stop the distance and how to get there.
Maybe I am a be-longer as long as I can do it at my speed, see something interesting, and eat well. Sometimes I even enjoy the BS along the way.

PS. I have noticed no one from near by NJ has committed yet. I guess that's because they charge you to get out of that state :039::icon_lol:

bcvulcan
04-10-2016, 07:16 PM
I too ride solo most of the time. Once in a while I will ride with my son. There's nothing like a nice ride and friendly conversation with a stranger at breakfast. I've met some pretty cool people while riding solo. Frankly I never felt I belonged, anywhere.....

This is me!!

shooter
04-10-2016, 07:37 PM
I was heading out last week on a perfect early spring day and ran into one of my neighbors who was busy washing and polishing his Harley three wheeler. The first thing he asked me was, "are you going on the up coming Legion ride"?
I asked him where they were going. His response was just around the county. I've been there done that. In a quick flashback, I remembered a bunch of weekend riders who are content to ride in circles with no destination. They didn't ride at a steady speed. They usually were running up a tailpipe and then hitting the brakes and again speeding up to hit the brakes again. It really wasn't my idea of fun. So I guess I'm not a real be-longer either.

However, I do like too ride with a group that has destinations in mind. For example, I'm currently putting a ride together on this site called "NE meet and greet"(look under forum planned trips.. all are welcome).
My plan is to meet up at a well known PA welcome center on I-84. There I will hand out a paper itinerary listing the destinations, approx. miles and planned routes to points of interest in the area. A mountain water fall will be the first stop approx. 30 miles from the starting point, where we will have a planned stop to view the fall and give everybody a chance to catch up; planned 15 minute stop. This way everybody can travel at their own speed and stop and linger and BS where they want. There will be suggested departure times from each stop and a planned lunch break at a favored Bakery 45 min to 1 hr stop. Eat fast or eat at your leisure depart when you want. You know the next stop the distance and how to get there.
Maybe I am a be-longer as long as I can do it at my speed, see something interesting, and eat well. Sometimes I even enjoy the BS along the way.

PS. I have noticed no one from near by NJ has committed yet. I guess that's because they charge you to get out of that state :039::icon_lol:

You know Bob , you mentioned one of my biggest beefs with guys I ride with. They don't want to go anywhere. 100 miles is way too long for them. I like to see new areas and maybe get a bite at a local eatery that's not local for me. To do that you have to.leave the county you're in. For me a good day is 250 miles plus. Doesn't have to be that long but a lot of times it is. I usually try to do some research so that I see the "best" roads and scenery. Eatery's are never planned. Usually a diner of sorts. I like to ride. And not 20 miles to the next bar.

53driver
04-10-2016, 10:08 PM

You know Bob , you mentioned one of my biggest beefs with guys I ride with. They don't want to go anywhere. 100 miles is way too long for them. I like to see new areas and maybe get a bite at a local eatery that's not local for me. To do that you have to.leave the county you're in. For me a good day is 250 miles plus. Doesn't have to be that long but a lot of times it is. I usually try to do some research so that I see the "best" roads and scenery. Eatery's are never planned. Usually a diner of sorts. I like to ride. And not 20 miles to the next bar.

When one has a bike that the "norm" is 450+ miles in two tankfuls, rock it!
When one has wanderlust, but also happens to have "civil responsibilities" - this is the best solution.
Bar hopping inside 100 miles is a "fail."
Going to a "chain" eating or drinking establishment (unless it's In & Out Burger) is a fail.
Finding a "new" road is a win.
Patronizing regional eateries on new roads is a win.
Asking the wait staff "What can I get here that I can't get anywhere else?" then receiving a smile and an honest answer at that regional establishment is the culmination of a win.
I have never belonged.
Never will.

Splaino
04-11-2016, 01:10 AM
I am new to this forum but I am finding it enjoyable and full of excellent info. I just sold my 08 Goldwing for a 2016 F6B Deluxe and can't wait to pick it up this week. Back to the point at hand. I had rode "lone wolf" for most of my life until I came across a Legion Rider group that I really "clicked" with. I have been nominated up through the ranks to President and have been nominated for "going on" my 4th year. I am also VP of a local PA ABATE chapter. I have been and still am proud of being nominated and our membership is larger this year than it has ever been before. HOWEVER for those of you thinking about starting or joining a group here is the good, the bad and the ugly from my opinion from the last 7 years of being involved in groups. First of all I am not in and never have been in an MC so my opinion does not pertain to them. The best part of joining a group you can form friendships with people that will last a lifetime! I now have friends that I call my Brothers and Sisters and will remain so whether I ride with a group or not. We raise, what I consider, a considerable amount of money each year for veterans and local charities that will very much appreciate what we (or you) do to help and that gives me a good feeling about myself. HOWEVER, I don't care how many members you have, how much you plan, and what your members say, if you have 50 or 500 members....5 to 10 will show up to help, period! Some people are drama plain and simple! You will know these people by many signs such as comments they make like "I hate dramatic people" or "I can't stand drama" you will also notice they do the most complaining with the fewest suggestions of rectifying problems. Also there are some people I have found I just do not like riding with and you can fill in any and whatever reason you want to here because you will have a list at some point. You start doing rides because you feel your expected to be there (many time this is self imposed) and it's not that you may have done the ride if you were a lone wolf however it is just not as fun doing them. If you happen to be one of the "doers" I would like to thank you because I understand that your volunteering your time because you care. My wife has started riding her own bike and just bought a new Honda 2014 Interstate (yes it is still new) and I am more and more thinking I would rather just her and I ride with a few close friends and have fun!?!?

shooter
04-11-2016, 06:37 AM
When one has a bike that the "norm" is 450+ miles in two tankfuls, rock it!
When one has wanderlust, but also happens to have "civil responsibilities" - this is the best solution.
Bar hopping inside 100 miles is a "fail."
Going to a "chain" eating or drinking establishment (unless it's In & Out Burger) is a fail.
Finding a "new" road is a win.
Patronizing regional eateries on new roads is a win.
Asking the wait staff "What can I get here that I can't get anywhere else?" then receiving a smile and an honest answer at that regional establishment is the culmination of a win.
I have never belonged.
Never will.

53 , you must really like those In&Out burgers. Never had one. We don't have that around here. What makes them so special.

willtill
04-11-2016, 08:03 AM
53 , you must really like those In&Out burgers. Never had one. We don't have that around here. What makes them so special.

Speed of digestion perhaps? :icon_twisted:

shooter
04-11-2016, 08:35 AM
That's good Will.:clap2:

53driver
04-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Everything is fresh. It's like 5 Guys but more of a fast food concept with a drive thru. No preservatives, no MSG. Just good eats at good prices.
They are all original family owned - as in if you ain't somehow part of that family, you ain't getting a franchise. That's how Quality is maintained.
None are east of the Mississippi yet.

Speed of digestion perhaps? :icon_twisted:
Well, I'm sure there's a bit of that going on, but at our station in life, sometimes "upping the voltage" on routine processing is a good thing.