PDA

View Full Version : Cheap eBay Rack, OEM Clone

MisterB
02-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Recently saw a post here about an inexpensive rack on eBay, after looking at all the options decided get it.
Why cheap out?
1. I’m cheap.
2. I’m taking a solo trip to Utah this summer and if I honestly evaluate my life and health situation it will probably be my last. Too many factors against this being a regular thing. I don’t need a rack for my daily commuting and didn’t feel there would be any ROI on the extra $100.

What do you get for $70? A reasonable facsimile of the Honda rack which should probably hold up for the length of my trip.
Right out of the box you can see there is a 3/16” dot that looks like it could be a pop-up used in the casting process. I’ll put a dab of black paint on this if I leave it on the bike.
I’ll only have the back of my bag resting on it, maybe a lightweight sleeping bag, so I won’t be putting it through the ringer. When I get back I’ll try some stress tests on it and report if it fails.
Didn’t come with bolts so add that to the cost. I haven’t installed it yet, so if it requires reaming or whatever I’ll post that info also.
If it’s awful I can use it as a template and then as a door stop.

It was very hard for me to NOT get the BikeMP3 rack, it’s a beautiful accessory. If my life or usage changes, (BIG if!) and I’m all about the rack then I’ll grab one of those in a heartbeat.

Here are some photos replete with greasy finger smudges:

http://i68.tinypic.com/nearzd.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/jzei9v.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/dy0vg4.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/6tdbiv.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/3537fyw.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/30icqpy.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/10zoegg.jpg

CopperMike
02-28-2016, 11:39 PM
Hope the rack works works like you want it to. Sorry to hear about the health situation. Prayers and positive thoughts things get better. What part of Utah you riding to? Any landmarks or locations you plan on visiting?

Mike

MisterB
02-29-2016, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the thoughts Mike, health issues not nearly as bad as some folks, just general degradation brought on by back injury, also family life not conducive to these kinds of week long outings.
We took a family vacation to Utah last year, Moab, Capital Reef, Bryce, and I fell in love with the area. Honestly, I've started buying a lottery ticket weekly with the intention of moving there if I win. If I can make it 15 more years I've got a wife who wants to sell the house and live in an RV when we retire, so win/win. She loves the area also.
Gonna take 70 west from St. Louis, zig-zag from Moab on down, hit the Grand Canyon and head back 44. So many beautiful rides through there. I'll be camping the whole trip, weather permitting.
I've got 8 days total, hopefully the knockoff rack lasts that long!

CopperMike
02-29-2016, 12:13 AM
That's awesome! I get it. Was lucky enough to get down to Laguna for the last three years of MotoGP. Was me with two friends. First year we did the trip in 6 days. By year three we were up to 9 days. Northern CA was awesome! Utah is still on my list to get down to.

Awesome wife! Mine is thinking similarly. We just got to get the kids out of school! LOL. 10 years to go.

Enjoy your trip! Keep us updated with photos.

crawdad
03-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the thoughts Mike, health issues not nearly as bad as some folks, just general degradation brought on by back injury, also family life not conducive to these kinds of week long outings.
We took a family vacation to Utah last year, Moab, Capital Reef, Bryce, and I fell in love with the area. Honestly, I've started buying a lottery ticket weekly with the intention of moving there if I win. If I can make it 15 more years I've got a wife who wants to sell the house and live in an RV when we retire, so win/win. She loves the area also.
Gonna take 70 west from St. Louis, zig-zag from Moab on down, hit the Grand Canyon and head back 44. So many beautiful rides through there. I'll be camping the whole trip, weather permitting.
I've got 8 days total, hopefully the knockoff rack lasts that long!
How's the rack working out,i'm interested in one myself.are they aluminum or steel.thank's

MisterB
03-03-2016, 11:50 PM
How's the rack working out,i'm interested in one myself.are they aluminum or steel.thank's

The auction stated it was "iron", but it's hopefully an alloy.
Being as it didn't come with any hardware or documentation I thought I was having a major brain-fart when there was just no way this would attach with 4 screws to the Big Bike parts adapter. I guess I'll check the manual and see if they give part numbers for spacers which I'm assuming must go on the rearmost supports. From there I'll try to get the dimensions from the web and see if something can be created for cheap.
Additionally, at least one of the holes looks like it's gonna be iffy getting it all lined up, may require a little wallowing with the rotary tool.
The B is apart, but no biggy as it's cold and rainy. Drilling 4 holes in the tupperware inserts tonight, will report when I get it installed.

98valk
03-04-2016, 11:50 AM
MisterB,
I got some spacers from Ace hardware to raise my rack. If you decide that you need some spacers, check them out.

MisterB
03-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Thanks, Valk. Ace is the place!

MisterB
03-06-2016, 12:49 AM

Final update: I was looking at the knockoff rack as the source of alignment problems, turns out it was the Show Chrome 52-830M adapter. Inserted screws in all the supports and compared them, looks like either the bottom left support was welded on at the wrong angle or the hole in it was drilled/tapped incorrectly. This would be less of an issue if the rack bolted directly to the adapters, but the problem is compounded by the 1" spacer. Got it installed, but it was a PITA. I've got too much going on in my life to deal with taking the bike apart, putting it back together to ride while I wait on returning the adapters, taking it apart again, blah blah blah. I made it work, but I recommend skipping the ShowChrome adapters if you can get the OEM.
Used my Mitutoyo dial calipers to mark the exact spot to drill on the filler inserts courtesy the instructions included in the Show Chrome 52-830M adapter instructions from Big Bike Parts. Used step drill to enlarge. Meh. If you follow their instructions don't go to the full 13/16", stop at 1/2" and do a dry run to see how close it is, finish with a rotary tool with sanding drum.
Thanks to Valk I found spacers at Ace Hardware. Spacers and screws brought the cost up again, but it's still the cheapest solution.
IF it turns out that a rack is something I need in my life and this one is not big enough I'll be keeping my eye on the BikeMP3 during Black Friday to see if they'll hit $99 again.

Note bottom left bolt is off-center. Wallowed out the hole but bolt was still not happy, couldn't go any further though! If I wasn't in a hurry to get it together for a ride tomorrow I would've tried to bend the base a little to get it in line. Oh well, I'm done with this carp for now.