PDA

View Full Version : Solo Travellers Trunk - Concept / Thoughts

Patch
02-29-2016, 01:02 AM
Wanted to get some opinions or ideas on plans I'm working up for a solo riders trunk that would leave all the stock items in place but allow one to put a decent sized duffle of clothing in a lockable trunk (like the panniers) and give a decently high backrest for the rider. I did some quick concept art using photos of the F6B I found. I reckon it would be approx. 50L or larger, could easily store 2 full sized helmets if needed, or a weekend duffle (enough clothing for two or three days, with toiletries bag and a little space left over. I'm thinking about doing a model in clay, molding it up, then building it from fiberglass and padding the interior with thick fabric.

I've looked at the Corbin Smuggler for a bit, but it's too shallow to really be handy. While I don't mind going with a bag and roll strapped to the rack, the goal would be to put something together with a little more weather-friendly capability while using similar lines. It would be able to be unbolted rather quickly to convert back to the standard F6B daily use setup or once a cruise destination was reached, left in the room or maybe the campsite locked up.

http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19239&d=1456712438

http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19241&d=1456712441

bob109
02-29-2016, 06:16 AM
My 6 has been set-up for "solo riding" since day one. Installed my slightly used Cruiser Bag with detachable back rest and removed the passenger foot pegs. The bag attaches quickly, is sturdy ( 13" dia. PVC pipe ) and provides plenty of extra space for carting groceries or the occasional case of beer plus provides great back support when cruising.

Injun Joe
02-29-2016, 06:44 AM
I love the look and the idea behind this.

seadog
02-29-2016, 06:47 AM
It takes up the whole passenger seat and straps down rather nicely, has a multitude of room in it and a rain cover that keep heavy rain from getting anything inside it wet. I used it when Mike(F6B1911) Went to Value Accessories on a very wet day. We were in the rain constantly and never got anything but us wet.http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/8080/i/kuryakyn-ultra-tour-bag?SITEID=Google+SEARCH+NON-BRAND+PLK+Cruiser&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=10001&P_ID=1103663020&adpos=1t3&creative=95287986173&device=c&matchtype=e&network=g&gclid=CMbXtcvznMsCFU0vgQod1_MK5Q

53driver
02-29-2016, 10:04 AM
"ccsmiley"

Looks great patch! I have the smuggler, and I agree - too shallow, although I like the seat.

Bob Penn
02-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Patch, I like the look and your ideas of whats needed. Will it fit with a back rack and Mustang seat? Let me know when I can order one!

Cool Hand Luke
02-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Subscribed! :039:

edgeman55
02-29-2016, 01:17 PM
Patch looks great.I do believe some of us would like the ability to lock things up with good looks and be able to remove it if wanted to.Hope you are able to put this together without breaking the bank.I have the MP3 rack with the Kury
Gran Travler bag and it works great but on a trip one has to keep in mind that the bag is not taken in today's wonderfull world of scumbags!

mrjava
02-29-2016, 01:53 PM
I love the shape and concept !
Would also be nice if it fit behind the passenger on a trunk mount!

Patch
02-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Great ideas for use with a mount and potentially transitioning to a backrest for pillion rider. It would kinda be a modular GW except the trunk would be rather long sitting out back. Let me put some art to that and see how it would come out. Initially I think it may be 15 inches off the back end which sounds like a lot.

As for the Mustang seat. It's based off the mundane as-sold Honda seat, but I think with just a slight modification in the backrest for the little hump on the Mustang seat it would probably fit just fine. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I think the backrest working for a multitude of seats would be easier to set up perhaps.

I'm going to start setting up a clay model and will get some videos going of work in progress.

Patch
02-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Would need to modify the bottom end but overall it looks better than I thought it would.

http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19279&d=1456780004

MisterB
03-01-2016, 12:41 AM
I'm sure there are a few members here who would use some of that extra space for a subwoofer enclosure.
Even running off the unused channels of the OEM amp some additional low end would help round out the factory sound.
Looks great so far, Patch!
'popcorn and coke'

ShanghaiDan
03-02-2016, 12:05 AM
I absolutely love it! If there was enough interest, I'd talk with some of my mfg friends and bring it to market. SERIOUSLY cool, looks totally factory. Making it swivel from "down" to "up" with locking, rotating arms would seal the deal (quick conversion from solo to 2 up).

Patch
03-02-2016, 01:20 PM
So I've started working on the model last night beginning with a quick CAD sketch for size, along with getting the skeleton together to apply the clay. The interior room is larger than I initially estimated. Once I have the clay model done, I'll post an update. A couple of things I noticed almost right away in building the skeleton...this WILL allow for aftermarket speakers without detracting too much from the storage area if kept to 6x9 and smaller.
The front portion (where the backrest is) along with about 1/6th of the length could be built to handle a set of modified backrest sections. One for speakers, one for pure storage, potentially configured backrest areas for different seat styles...like the Mustang, Russell, Ultimate, Stock, Corbin, etc... I'll know more once I get to the point of setting an interior frame up. I'm hoping I can debut a functional /near production ready proto at the rally.

Kurare79
03-02-2016, 03:12 PM
I am following this topic with interest. Good doing, Patch! :yes:

Patch
03-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Total interior space available, based on CAD work is presently 103.788 liters, or 3.665 cubic ft. I'm having a prototype printed out (3D using ABS) to gauge what this looks like on the bike. If it's too tall, I may need to flatten it a little and that will drop it into the 80 or 90 liter range. Hopefully it's accurate though.

This Rightline 63L gear bag fits in the cardboard mockup, with plenty of room for other stuff. A hardcase pack this size would not though, because of the depth. Still, getting a bag in there with clothing looks good so far.

Nightwing_67
03-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Wanted to get some opinions or ideas on plans I'm working up for a solo riders trunk that would leave all the stock items in place but allow one to put a decent sized duffle of clothing in a lockable trunk (like the panniers) and give a decently high backrest for the rider. I did some quick concept art using photos of the F6B I found. I reckon it would be approx. 50L or larger, could easily store 2 full sized helmets if needed, or a weekend duffle (enough clothing for two or three days, with toiletries bag and a little space left over. I'm thinking about doing a model in clay, molding it up, then building it from fiberglass and padding the interior with thick fabric.

I've looked at the Corbin Smuggler for a bit, but it's too shallow to really be handy. While I don't mind going with a bag and roll strapped to the rack, the goal would be to put something together with a little more weather-friendly capability while using similar lines. It would be able to be unbolted rather quickly to convert back to the standard F6B daily use setup or once a cruise destination was reached, left in the room or maybe the campsite locked up.

I like the look. quick detach feature would really be cool too.

Ridlikhel
03-04-2016, 08:34 PM
You have my attention.

Patch
03-09-2016, 01:29 AM
Image here is a very early 3D rendering of the CAD work.

A little bit about what you see below in the image below... Upper image shows an area circled in red. This would be the "speaker package" front assembly (center panel is shown with an 8in woofer inserted) where you have a mid-carrier which could be cut any way you want to add up to two eight inch subwoofers side by side, along with an amp and possibly some 3x5s or 6x9's depending on how you fit things. The carrier, center panel and backrest panel locking together with a lip and sealed (seal mechanism is still being worked on).

The orange outline on the upper image is the trunk lid when the back, mid carrier, panel and backrest are all locked together.

The bottom image with the yellow circle shows an open mid carrier for full storage capacity. Note that the backrest panels on the back side are shelled so that they also allow for storage space should the center panel not be used.

The backrest panels shown are three varieties...mustang panel (lower section cut out for mustangs backpad), the standard panel (cut for stock seat), and customizers panel (slightly shorter but could be fitted with anything the owner wants....speaker grille, custom backpad, etc...

Still no idea on cost yet, but that will be coming once I finish final drawings and work out the material details. Right now I'm leaning toward a thick ABS injection molded set, rubber seals and an interlock system that could be exchange-able so an owner could swap configurations around based on need, or one could get only what you wanted by picking the mid carrier-panel(s) desired. The reason I'm leaning this way is to make it easy to apply a color matched paint, or supply an unpainted option so those with custom paint could match to the bike if desired.

While fiberglass is nice, the prep work involved to produce a nice finish is generally tedious and would likely drive the cost too high unless it was sold as a DIY build kit.

http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19488&d=1457502503

There is A LOT more to be done on the drawings, such as internal mechanics, locks, plates, light assembly, rear panel, and how it will be attached to the bike carrier deck or carrier...probably wont get to a final until after the big trip.

Cool Hand Luke
03-09-2016, 06:02 AM
Image here is a very early 3D rendering of the CAD work.

WOW...JUST WOW!

That is a serious undertaking. Can't wait to see the final product! :clap2:

I also love that you are making different versions for different seats, I have a Mustang seat (that I really like).

Patch
03-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Well, I finally have a weekend free from everything and started the foam cutting and gluing. While it's out there setting up for further shaving, I shot a few pics of a draft concept. Once it's in clay I'll be building it in fiberglass. With my CAD skills I can eye it all day long but I really need to see what it's gonna look like, then enter the measurements to my drawings to get this going. May be overthinking things a bit, but I want to spend time with the modular details and figure out what the mount system is going to look like, how the speaker kit will work, and how I'm going to get the lighting set up.

Anyway...just a teaser while I wait for the glue to dry, then I'll be spending the next 22 or so hours working on the clay...and over course, more to come as it progresses. Bear in mind, this is the initial rough cut...there is alot of cutting and sanding to go before I can even start to apply the clay.

Az Wingrider
03-25-2016, 06:59 PM
I am really impressed with what you have done with this project. I would definitely be a buyer for this if you bring it to market. Please keep me informed on progress

Thanks

stepbill
03-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Really like the looks of everything!

Kurare79
03-26-2016, 01:44 AM
The perfect thing for me and my wife. I always have to bolt the back rest for her. Riding without her the back rest just looks ugly on the bike. That thing would be perfect :yes:

soberbiker
03-26-2016, 04:11 AM
Excellent work there Patch! Anxiously waiting for the product to be ready for PRIME TIME. :popcorn:

DaWadd
03-26-2016, 10:12 AM
:yes:

stevenolts
03-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Patch,

Congrats on the great work!!! I love the idea of a locking top case made just for the F6B with rear speaker options (which is what I need at the moment). Is there still going to be a solo seat backrest version? Will it be quick release detachable (I know that is a big concern for a lot of F6B owners since we bought the GoldWing without the tour pack.
Steve

CopperMike
03-26-2016, 09:52 PM
The perfect thing for me and my wife. I always have to bolt the back rest for her. Riding without her the back rest just looks ugly on the bike. That thing would be perfect :yes:

+1!!:clap2:

jmohme
03-27-2016, 11:00 AM

Looks sharp.

unsub
03-27-2016, 11:05 AM
Patch, I really like how you have incorporated the bikes original back deck lines in picture 1 top box. Nice work, looks factory. Maybe Honda's interested as well?:yes:

royr
03-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Looks very good. Just what is needed for the F6B when traveling. Eagerly waiting for the final product!

Fla_rider
03-28-2016, 09:02 AM
I was looking at this closely and wondering if your width is dictated by the radio antenna. If not then you could add some width and we could relocate the antenna on the trunk which might give it better reception. It's a win-Win more space in the truck better reception for the radio.

Patch
03-28-2016, 01:13 PM
Yes, the Antenna is the limiting factor. I thought about the transition of it for some time. The primary concern is trunk portability and to keep the resale value in check by leaving the antenna where it is. At least on this model. At the crest of the carrier, it sits 12 inches off the pillion pad, then has a mild slope to 10 inches at the tail. It also goes from 15 inches across at the back, to 17 inches closer to the rider and tapers back to 16 inches where the pad goes. At least that's where it is now. This allows it to slide back without antenna interruption. I do have something drafted that uses the entire back area behind the pilot and goes from opening to opening on the side panniers but there is no compensation for a second rider with it...it's just a massive trunk that could benefit police or pure soloers, 128 liters...moves the antenna array to a shark fin design to allow for multiple antenna systems. The seat also would have to be changed out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking we had a poor excuse of an antenna. I'm not sure why Honda would skimp on this item, but I think they did simply because the reception in my Ridgeline in certain locations is excellent compared to the F6B. From Austin, I can get reception on 5 FM stations as far away as Hempstead, which is closer to Houston, with the Ridgeline. On the F6B, all of those stations are static by the time I hit Giddings...closer to Austin. If I want music, I either have to stream it from the phone, or try to find local stations along the route.

The F6B uses a standard omnidirectional "shorty" antenna...if I were to guess, this plugs into the wire held by a clamp under that base cover. If it got better reception there would be a pre-amp and VHF compensator, which, to me, seems to be lacking on our bikes, although I may be wrong. I may look into fixing this but I'm still waiting on the service manual and have the trunk to finish.

In answer to Stevenolts questions...yes, backrest was one of the primary reasons in the design and would be part of the final solution, as is the quick-release. Initially I thought about just having it bolted down would be fine since it was for soloists, but in order to get the most out of it and allow those with pillion riders to enjoy, a slider mechanism will be used, and the current thought to quick-release would have it pulled off completely in about 10 seconds if I can fit the mechanicals in properly. This all comes at a cost. Initially I had the trunk sitting large at 104 Liters, then after a third mockup, it dropped to 92L. Now with the inclusion of the rails, and modular fittings, it's at 88 Liters.

Kurare79
03-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Now with the inclusion of the rails, and modular fittings, it's at 88 Liters.

That's still a lot of room for a trip :yes: Thinking of my last bike i had about a maximum of 35 to 42 liters on each side bag. And my trunk at the top had 45 liters... so all together there will be a lot of storage on the F6B with this trunk :yes:

pilotguy299
03-28-2016, 01:54 PM
In this kind of configuration:

http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19279&d=1456780004

you could leave the antenna mount to preserve resale value, unscrew the antenna mast and use a short jumper cable to place the mast elsewhere. Or maybe even use a short piece of anodized metal and offset the mast from the mount. That way you could make the trunk wider without having to do any bodywork on the F6B.

Something along the lines of this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bxFnXdsUL._SY355_.jpg

And something that slides & locks in to place on the Bikemp3 rack, while still using the deluxe's backrest would be amazing! ;)

royr
03-29-2016, 08:02 AM
Yes, the Antenna is the limiting factor. I thought about the transition of it for some time. The primary concern is trunk portability and to keep the resale value in check by leaving the antenna where it is.

In answer to Stevenolts questions...yes, backrest was one of the primary reasons in the design and would be part of the final solution, as is the quick-release. I Now with the inclusion of the rails, and modular fittings, it's at 88 Liters.

+1 for portability, backrest, and the quick release, 88 liters is quite a bit of space.

Kurare79
05-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Hi Patch! Any updates so far? Spring is there and summer is getting closer... :icon_biggrin:

Penguin
05-05-2016, 01:04 PM
What a great concept. I would definitely be a buyer. Hope you can bring this product to market. Good luck

Patch
05-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Hi Patch! Any updates so far? Spring is there and summer is getting closer... :icon_biggrin:

Good news is that the CAD work is nearly completed. I have the clay model nearly complete and hope to be laying the initial development model up in fiberglass soon. I am trying to get the funds up to process two patents that are integral to producing this as a product the way I envisioned it...without having to compromise certain features, and they both have to do with the lock and mount system.

Once I finish the CAD work, I'm going to have it printed on a large scale 3D printer using ABS to validate against the fiberglass model and get a comparison of weight and which direction to go for production. Thus far I still don't have a good idea on the cost to manufacture as I'm getting a lot of various responses from manufacturers regarding roll-up concerns...such as tooling/dye costs, MOQ or run volumes, etc.

As soon as I have the time to get the molds together for the fiberglass model, I'll post a few photos as an update. I really want to get to that milestone by June. I had planned a trip for a couple of months around the US but that is cancelled indefinitely, sadly, so I have some time to get the project moved along.

Kurare79
05-05-2016, 11:53 PM
Good Morning Patch,

thank you very much for your update! I am very happy to hear that this project is still alive and you are working on it's development :yes:
As i read in your post it's a complex thing to reach the point of manufacturing and then calculating with numbers begins. I hope you find a solution!

Sorry to hear you had to cancel your US-Trip :icon_frown: (Our trip this year got canceled, too. My wife thought we need a new home.)

Good luck and success on your project - i am and surely many others are looking forward to it!

SoCal Rich
05-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Really like it, Patch, particularly the top configuration (solo) as I only ride solo. Wasn't too keen on the look of the 2 up configuration.

Patch
05-09-2016, 02:44 AM
Rendering of the larger Humpback model at nearly 24 inches wide. This one is very much similar to the smaller Minke model, except with more space, sizing in at 108 liters. This one also follows the tail of the bikes original lines much closer, where-as the Minke model at 72 liters, has a longer top edge than bottom, giving the top side a slightly longer appearance. I'll render the smaller Minke and post that in the next day or two.

Both have had drawings completed at a base level, and now I'm working on the latch/release/keylock mechanism to allow for unlocking the door one direction or providing the shift from solo to two-up, to quick release the other direction.

Demetri
05-09-2016, 05:16 AM

Really nice concept Patch. Keep me in your contacts as a future customer. Just goy my F6B and looking for a back rest extension now. Your solo trunk with back rest pad mound behind the passenger would indeed be perfect.

Spiff215
06-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Any updates on design and or production for this?

Nightwing_67
06-30-2016, 08:58 PM
Rendering of the larger Humpback model at nearly 24 inches wide. This one is very much similar to the smaller Minke model, except with more space, sizing in at 108 liters. This one also follows the tail of the bikes original lines much closer, where-as the Minke model at 72 liters, has a longer top edge than bottom, giving the top side a slightly longer appearance. I'll render the smaller Minke and post that in the next day or two.

Both have had drawings completed at a base level, and now I'm working on the latch/release/keylock mechanism to allow for unlocking the door one direction or providing the shift from solo to two-up, to quick release the other direction.

That is SMOoooKIN!!! what would be require to use the same trunk but change from solo rider(back pad for the rider) to 2 riders(back pad for the passenger) would it be just hardware?
above pic VS one of the previous pics on this thread.

nomercyambulance
07-01-2016, 08:15 AM
The design is beautiful.
Looks like it will nicely compliment the already beautiful lines of the F6B.

Gssbmm
07-13-2016, 09:15 AM
This is exactly what I have been looking for for me and my wife. Excited to see where it goes. Have you considered crowd funding for some of the patent costs I'm sure many of us would jump at the chance to help bring this to market as a pre-order.

Patch
07-13-2016, 12:12 PM
Short answer...with my current work schedule, it's actually coming along nicely. And thanks to all of you for the kind words and encouragement.

Details...
Presently, I'm still working on the locking mechanism. How I want it to work, the lock to actuate the opening of the lid in one direction, and allowing the unit to move from solo to 2-up position using a reverse direction. While the keylock system I found works, getting the cabling and lock attached to the bike, for the rider to co-rider position to function without a fault, is a bit more tricky than originally anticipated, and I may have to compromise a bit.

I'm also working with a die mold company which is in need of the back part of my seat and armatures. (I sent them the armatures, but as I ride mine daily, I'm looking for a cheap replacement seat to send as they mentioned it will probably end up being too damaged for use). Not sure why, but having been involved in other projects in my past where dies and molds were created, it's not a surprise.

As for crowdfunding, I've thought about this and would certainly be ok in setting something up, but I'm hesitant to do so before I even have the prototype ready. All I have currently is a foam core shell with some fiberglass laid around it. It's rough, it's ugly and at best, it's only good for use as a plug to make a fiberglass mold once I finish adding bondo, sanding, and gelcoating it.

In looking back at this, I wish there were more hours in the day. I certainly wish I had a job that would allow more time to work on personal projects. In total this doesn't require a lot of time to design and bring to market, but it does take more than I have, which is why progress is slow. It also takes a lot more money to get done.

53driver
07-13-2016, 04:21 PM
....It also takes a lot more money to get done.

You need to sell those "Best Bike Ever" t-shirts from the other thread and raise the capital...

Patch
07-13-2016, 04:46 PM
You need to sell those "Best Bike Ever" t-shirts from the other thread and raise the capital...

lol...good idea 53. I just called a shirt printer about it and sent the files over to them as I read your post. I threw that together in about 2 minutes as a quick nod to Teach but after there were a few asking for it, I reckon it makes sense that might help with funding it.

I'm thinking Black, White, Charcoal, Red, Yellow and Blue for t-shirt colors with the F6B arm logo and the BBE graphic on the back...all cotton and long sleeve...t-shirt colors to match bike colors if desired. I just hope the print quote isn't $$$ per shirt.

Nightwing_67
07-13-2016, 04:53 PM
lol...good idea 53. I just called a shirt printer about it and sent the files over to them as I read your post. I threw that together in about 2 minutes as a quick nod to Teach but after there were a few asking for it, I reckon it makes sense that might help with funding it.

I'm thinking Black, White, Charcoal, Red, Yellow and Blue for t-shirt colors with the F6B arm logo and the BBE graphic on the back...all cotton and long sleeve...t-shirt colors to match bike colors if desired. I just hope the print quote isn't $$$ per shirt.
if it's $$$ let me know cause I have a friend here in the screen printing and embroidery business. I know that he would do the right thing by me.

makya53
08-04-2016, 07:28 AM
Patch, that is bad ass and I want one. Had a system installed on my F6B last month and need a sub. Your trunk looks killer and thats a great way to get a 8" JL w6 on my bike.

Kurare79
08-18-2016, 12:52 PM
Still keeping an eye on this thread with patience... will there be a present under my X-Mas-Tree or will i have to wait for the Easter Beagle next year? :icon_mrgreen:

Patch
08-18-2016, 02:38 PM
I might have a couple of them ready in time for Christmas if the fiberglass version comes out okay. Still working with tooling and manufacturer here in the U.S. for the plastic model. Once I get the first FG version completed, I'll see if the molds I made can stand up to a small batch run. If so, I'll make a few extras and get a price together for them.

Kurare79
08-18-2016, 03:19 PM
That sounds promising! :yes: I am really looking forward to this special addition to the F6B http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Optimismus/smilie_op_015.gif

Greetings from overseas!

Cool Hand Luke
08-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Very curious how it comes out. I always thought Honda is missing a boat for not offering an accessory removable trunk for F6B, possibly with built in arm rests and speakers. I think more GW guys would have switched to F6B if that was an option and it looked well integrated. I also think that current GW trunk does not really match the lines of the rest of the bike very well.

Your trunk should look factory when done. I wanted to buy Corbin Smuggler but decided against it due to it's small size and high cost. Yours looks like the perfect mix of looks and actual usable size.

Keep up the good work! :icon_wink:

speedjunkie
08-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Very cool design! Is it deep enough for a helmet?

Mike

Patch
08-19-2016, 09:50 AM
Very cool design! Is it deep enough for a helmet?

Mike

Humpback is being set up to be somewhat modular in nature, so for just the trunk and backrest model, it'll have enough space for 4 helmets...2 full size and 2 half helmets. The first ones done in Fiberglass will be this way only, but I would like to build in some framing that would allow them to be customized for audio, cooling systems, etc.

speedjunkie
08-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Humpback is being set up to be somewhat modular in nature, so for just the trunk and backrest model, it'll have enough space for 4 helmets...2 full size and 2 half helmets. The first ones done in Fiberglass will be this way only, but I would like to build in some framing that would allow them to be customized for audio, cooling systems, etc.

4 helmets! :yikes: That should be of sufficient size, thanks! :yes:

Mike

53driver
08-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Very curious how it comes out. I always thought Honda is missing a boat for not offering an accessory removable trunk for F6B, possibly with built in arm rests and speakers. I think more GW guys would have switched to F6B if that was an option and it looked well integrated. I also think that current GW trunk does not really match the lines of the rest of the bike very well.

Your trunk should look factory when done. I wanted to buy Corbin Smuggler but decided against it due to it's small size and high cost. Yours looks like the perfect mix of looks and actual usable size.

Keep up the good work! :icon_wink:

I thoroughly enjoy the looks and lines of my Smuggler. I got it used from a gent on these forums. I would not have paid full price for it.
Can't fit a whole lot in it, and the saddlebag opening mechanism does suffer some peculiarities. I just got back from Corbin Daytona and they did some "professional fitment" to it and now it works MUCH better.

I use it for iPad, gloves, small accessories, basically stuff that won't fit in the left cubby or the center console that I wouldn't mind direct access to.
I did have a slight revelation though.....the way it's shaped and the size of the lid, it might lend itself to a tank bag if I needed more storage space.

I hope Patch's concept comes to fruition. As well as Phantom's belly pan concept.
Cheers,
Steve

Nightwing_67
08-21-2016, 12:06 PM
I might have a couple of them ready in time for Christmas if the fiberglass version comes out okay. Still working with tooling and manufacturer here in the U.S. for the plastic model. Once I get the first FG version completed, I'll see if the molds I made can stand up to a small batch run. If so, I'll make a few extras and get a price together for them.
Just got off the phone with Santa, and he said :yes:

Switchmonkey
08-22-2016, 08:17 PM
Awesome concept, Patch!

While the Humpback looks like it offers the most spacious option, the original design flows with the lines on the seat so much better IMHO. The gap under the Humpback detracts from the sleek look.

Either way, they both look great! I will be standing in line when they are available for the mass market.

Keep up the outstanding work! .notworthy.

Jazze
08-24-2016, 04:40 PM
I'm in the market for a F6B and a detachable truck is a must. I searched the internet to see if any other F6B owners had installed detachable trunks and I saw where several F6B owners had retro fitted their motorcycle with the Harley Davidson tour pak. So glad to see your concept and hope it will be available when I purchase my F6B. Add me to the list -- I definitely want one.

Switchmonkey
10-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Another dead project? Same as the mono-wheel F6B trailer?

Patch
10-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Another dead project? Same as the mono-wheel F6B trailer?

The project is far from dead... I didn't count on being the single income for my household when this project was started. Between two teens, two large dogs and my wife, plus a surgery and another one coming in December, I'm tapped for the time being. Still working on it, trying to get the fiberglass molds finished so I can do a few runs with them. I built an initial mold and then realized I forgot to include tie-in blocks so it could be modified for audio systems or internal compartments.

Kurare79
10-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Really happy to hear this message from you, Patch! Thank you! :yes: Keep the good thing going and all the best to your recovery from the surgeries! :039:

Nightwing_67
10-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Glad to hear the project isnt dead in the water, but first and foremost take care of your health. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Gssbmm
12-18-2016, 10:15 PM
Any updates to the project?

stepbill
12-18-2016, 10:26 PM
The project is far from dead... I didn't count on being the single income for my household when this project was started. Between two teens, two large dogs and my wife, plus a surgery and another one coming in December, I'm tapped for the time being. Still working on it, trying to get the fiberglass molds finished so I can do a few runs with them. I built an initial mold and then realized I forgot to include tie-in blocks so it could be modified for audio systems or internal compartments.

Hope the surgery goes well. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Patch
12-19-2016, 06:19 PM
I have the fiberglass molds made. Laid the top, bottom and door just before my surgery on Dec 5th...literally glassing up until 6 hours before I went under. I still have to finish them out, lay over gelcoat and seal before I can make the first case. I still need to figure out the wiring harness and how that's all going to work, since I want the case to have stop, L/R signals, and run cabling in for the missing channels from the amp that are currently just capped, in case someone wants to add speakers in it. I'm still trying to figure out how to get hidden rollers on it and an extending handle so it could be used as off-bike luggage to get to a hotel room should one not want to carry it. All in time I suppose.

It looks like a pigtail that goes under the back lip of the seat is the best option for now so it won't take too much time to get together. As soon as fit and finish is done, I'll post a few photos.

Surgery went well. Dr. says I'm not cleared for riding until the internal stitches have dissolved...approximately another 3 weeks.

Bigcityd
12-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Patch,

I'm in for one once you get things worked out. Send me a message once you're feeling better. Great idea and I think you might find a solid market for this product.

G.

Nightwing_67
12-22-2016, 11:41 PM
I have the fiberglass molds made. Laid the top, bottom and door just before my surgery on Dec 5th...literally glassing up until 6 hours before I went under. I still have to finish them out, lay over gelcoat and seal before I can make the first case. I still need to figure out the wiring harness and how that's all going to work, since I want the case to have stop, L/R signals, and run cabling in for the missing channels from the amp that are currently just capped, in case someone wants to add speakers in it. I'm still trying to figure out how to get hidden rollers on it and an extending handle so it could be used as off-bike luggage to get to a hotel room should one not want to carry it. All in time I suppose.

It looks like a pigtail that goes under the back lip of the seat is the best option for now so it won't take too much time to get together. As soon as fit and finish is done, I'll post a few photos.

Surgery went well. Dr. says I'm not cleared for riding until the internal stitches have dissolved...approximately another 3 weeks.

Glad to hear all is going well for you. Also excited to see the finished product. Count me in.

tiltingf6b
12-23-2016, 11:29 AM
So I've started working on the model last night beginning with a quick CAD sketch for size, along with getting the skeleton together to apply the clay. The interior room is larger than I initially estimated. Once I have the clay model done, I'll post an update. A couple of things I noticed almost right away in building the skeleton...this WILL allow for aftermarket speakers without detracting too much from the storage area if kept to 6x9 and smaller.
The front portion (where the backrest is) along with about 1/6th of the length could be built to handle a set of modified backrest sections. One for speakers, one for pure storage, potentially configured backrest areas for different seat styles...like the Mustang, Russell, Ultimate, Stock, Corbin, etc... I'll know more once I get to the point of setting an interior frame up. I'm hoping I can debut a functional /near production ready proto at the rally.

shut up and take my money already - !:yes:

terryboyle
01-17-2017, 06:22 PM
Any news?

Switchmonkey
08-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Dead in the Water?