PDA

View Full Version : Mounting From the Rear

2015F6B
03-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Hi,

Strongly considering going dark with the G-Max AS-03 195/55R16 mounted to my spare rear wheel. I've read most of the dark side threads but haven't got a clear answer on the ease of mounting from the rear. Due to age and physical limitations (degenerative spinal disease) I can't chance laying the bike down on the crash bars to remove/install the wheel and much prefer to go in from the rear, which is not a problem with the OEM MT tire and no lifting required.

So the question is . . will the G-Max go in from the rear with sufficient clearance without removing anything other than the fenders, etc., same as the OEM MT tire remove/install procedure or is it simply to wide?

bob109
03-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Hi,

Strongly considering going dark with the G-Max AS-03 195/55R16 mounted to my spare rear wheel. I've read most of the dark side threads but haven't got a clear answer on the ease of mounting from the rear. Due to age and physical limitations (degenerative spinal disease) I can't chance laying the bike down on the crash bars to remove/install the wheel and much prefer to go in from the rear, which is not a problem with the OEM MT tire and no lifting required.

So the question is . . will the G-Max go in from the rear with sufficient clearance without removing anything other than the fenders, etc., same as the OEM MT tire remove/install procedure or is it simply to wide?

Deflate the Max before trying to slip it into place. Use a pie tin to cover the wheel studs which will relieve any friction from sidewall/stud contact:039:

choptop
03-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Damn, thread isn't about what I thought it would be but then again I'm getting old and just got up from a nappie.:icon_twisted:

2015F6B
03-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Deflate the Max before trying to slip it into place. Use a pie tin to cover the wheel studs which will relieve any friction from sidewall/stud contact:039:

Thanks, I read the pie tin trick on a previous thread but also remember someone saying it's a real squeeze or something to get the tire in. I guess I'll just have to find out the hard way.

shooter
03-02-2016, 10:01 PM
I've read all these things about getting the tire in. I've had mine in and out 4 times with both the G Max and the Alpin. I air it up , put a little dish soap on the side wall. I tape my chrome rim. It goes right in.

2015F6B
03-02-2016, 10:15 PM
Thanks Shooter, that's good news. I'm going to give it a go.

Steve 0080
03-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Damn, thread isn't about what I thought it would be but then again I'm getting old and just got up from a nappie.:icon_twisted:

Too Funny !!!

Steve 0080
03-02-2016, 11:11 PM
Thanks Shooter, that's good news. I'm going to give it a go.

you can also put a plastic bag on the front part of the tribe as you push it home... really no big deal !!!

Kdarmy
03-03-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm only a mile or two down the street from you, and you've got my number....you ever need help just call and I can do all the heavy work for you :icon_mrgreen:

If I still have my bike after the warranty expires, I'd like to try that back tire option myself.

I'm still running on the original rear and it's actually holding up longer than I thought it would, I can feel that the rear is getting a flat area in the center now, but it still has plenty of tread left.

Keith

shooter
03-04-2016, 09:15 PM

Chop that's just too funny. I sometimes wake up dazed and confused so I know what you're talking about. Found a good way to wake up.quickly. Granddaughter and me took a nap in the recliner the other day. She's 15 months and likes to sleep on Poppa's chest. I came alive quickly after about an hour. She had a handful of my beard and was doing her best to rip it out. Blinding pain will wake you.quickly.

Cool Hand Luke
03-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Damn, thread isn't about what I thought it would be.:icon_twisted:

Sorry, couldn't resist...:icon_lol:

shooter
03-05-2016, 04:56 PM
That's exactly what Chop was dreaming about when he woke up from that nap.

Canuck_Doug
03-05-2016, 05:57 PM
That's exactly what Chop was dreaming about when he woke up from that nap.

LMAO.

2015F6B
03-05-2016, 09:08 PM
I'm only a mile or two down the street from you, and you've got my number....you ever need help just call and I can do all the heavy work for you :icon_mrgreen:

If I still have my bike after the warranty expires, I'd like to try that back tire option myself.

I'm still running on the original rear and it's actually holding up longer than I thought it would, I can feel that the rear is getting a flat area in the center now, but it still has plenty of tread left.

Keith

Keith,

Appreciate the offer, may take you up on that one day. I have a spare rear wheel but have not purchased the CT yet. My spare has a Dunlop Elite 3 on it which also has quite a few miles left on it. I'd like to get as many miles on these OEM MT's as possible before going to the dark side. I'm thinking that sometime this summer it will happen. I'll be in touch.

dickiedeals
03-06-2016, 06:24 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist...:icon_lol:

When I read the title something similar came to mind for me too. LOL great Minds think alike......:yes:...........Dickie

2015F6B
03-06-2016, 07:22 AM
When I read the title something similar came to mind for me too. LOL great Minds think alike......:yes:...........Dickie

Well guys, I knew what the title sounded like when I wrote it and it grabbed your attention as I expected it would :icon_lol:

dickiedeals
03-06-2016, 07:52 AM
Well guys, I knew what the title sounded like when I wrote it and it grabbed your attention as I expected it would :icon_lol:

If you lay the bike on its right side on a rubber mat or a piece of carpet its not a tight squeeze at all. I don't get the desire to take the bike apart to change the rear tire.....................Just Sayin.............Dickie

bob109
03-06-2016, 08:29 AM
If you lay the bike on its right side on a rubber mat or a piece of carpet its not a tight squeeze at all. I don't get the desire to take the bike apart to change the rear tire.....................Just Sayin.............Dickie

+1 Keep It Simple:icon_wink:

2015F6B
03-06-2016, 09:50 AM
physical limitations (degenerative spinal disease) I can't chance laying the bike down on the crash bars to remove/install the wheel

My opening statement . . . can't lift any weight due to spinal issues otherwise I'd have no problem laying it down.