PDA

View Full Version : I am sooooo sick of the "Biker image"

Old Ryder
03-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Just got the email from Indian and watched the video of their new Springfield model. Nice bike!

Now I know it is not a new thing, but I am sick and tired of every motorcycle video, commercial and mag ad all showing the same mid 30-40s guy wrapped in leather with the same flat black half helmet and they all have the "partial grey facial hair" and none of them ever smile. Can somebody please send them a bottle of Grecian Formula and a different style of sunglasses???. :soapbox:The non-smile part may have to do with the bike they are riding (insert sarcastic smirk HERE) I am aware that marketing means they are trying to sell "the image", but I have been riding since 1977, I have never wanted to look like that and I have owned Harleys and Victorys in addition to all of my Hondas. I do own black half helmets and a leather jacket, but geez fellas. ALL MOTORCYCLE RIDERS DO NOT LOOK ALIKE!!!!!

wjduke
03-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Who fits a non biker image more than this guy?
Not afraid to poke fun at myself

opas ride
03-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Just got the email from Indian and watched the video of their new Springfield model. Nice bike!

Now I know it is not a new thing, but I am sick and tired of every motorcycle video, commercial and mag ad all showing the same mid 30-40s guy wrapped in leather with the same flat black half helmet and they all have the "partial grey facial hair" and none of them ever smile. Can somebody please send them a bottle of Grecian Formula and a different style of sunglasses???. :soapbox:The non-smile part may have to do with the bike they are riding (insert sarcastic smirk HERE) I am aware that marketing means they are trying to sell "the image", but I have been riding since 1977, I have never wanted to look like that and I have owned Harleys and Victorys in addition to all of my Hondas. I do own black half helmets and a leather jacket, but geez fellas. ALL MOTORCYCLE RIDERS DO NOT LOOK ALIKE!!!!!
Kind of reminds me of most motorcycle ads that have some young babe, with "big plastic boobs" hanging out of her tiny bikini top, who could not ride a bike if her life depended upon it, attempting to convince the reader that she is sitting on the bike...I know "sex sells" and I am no prude, but come on, enough is enough!!!...JMHO

53driver
03-03-2016, 10:52 AM

A. This guy:

Not afraid to have fun my my "image" either. :icon_mrgreen:

wjduke
03-03-2016, 11:08 AM
A. This guy:

Got a bit of Ireland in ya I'd say...

DMAGOLDRDR
03-03-2016, 11:19 AM
It's the bad ass image. Look at most Motorcycle clothing ads and you will see the same type "rider". A very loose term here!
Most motorcycle related manufacturers are after new customers and they need to appeal to a certain part of the main stream population. I walked thru a Cycle Gear store not too long ago and see hoodies with what they call crash protection in the way of elbow and back pads. These types of "gear" are not "gear" as much as they are fashion. These manufacturers would rather sell what looks good because it is easier to appeal to a new rider in this manner or rider that wants a bad ass image.
I looked at that hoodie and my first thought was how this loose fitting pile of material will roll up and tear apart in seconds and offer absolutely not protection at all. Almost a false advertisement in my mind.

I heard a couple talking at that store and heard one guy to the other say....I like the look of this face mask because it makes me feel evil...That seems to be what many want from their biker image.

But that's just my opinion.

Sorcerer
03-03-2016, 12:10 PM
I'd love to have one of body's those guys in the adds have. Alas, I am over weight, almost bald on top and sort of on the short side. Ever notice how the old, white, fat guys on Harlies have the hot old lady's. Ok some of the chicks are really round. HD sold an image that some people need and the marketing people a cross the motorcycle industry market. I tried to find off the rack true riding gear, leather/ textile. But my legs are to short and my middle a little to round. Nothing will ever fit this body like the models. I to have to quietly laugh at what people try to emulate, and fail at. That one of the reasons I ride what I ride, I don't have to look like a pirate.

Nero
03-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Well I agree that the motorcycle marketing gurus love to play the bad boy or girl card. Look at most firearm publications, many of the ads feature a soldier minus unit ID holding a weapon or mil spec add on that every shooting range commando must have. I think we all wanted to be Cowboys when we were little, the badass act is just the final manifestation. Just my $.02

DMAGOLDRDR
03-03-2016, 01:17 PM
A. This guy:

I see a Leather Jacket on the back of that office chair. ;) ;)

Delta
03-03-2016, 01:47 PM
It never bothered me what folks choose to wear or look like when they ride. We're on two wheels because we enjoy it. Sort of like it you don't know why dogs ride in cars with their heads out the window, then you wouldn't understand. What is a mystery to me though are the very serious, unsmiling scowls on way too many faces as they dress up to whatever image they are trying to emulate.

Has anyone found the page in the manual that teaches how to blip the throttle constantly? Can't remember the last time any of my bikes were fuel starved while at idle; well, maybe my old Triumph Bonnie.

GaTeach
03-03-2016, 02:10 PM
Wait....what's wrong with plastic boobs?

Retired Army
03-03-2016, 03:15 PM
They can't be left in the sun.

opas ride
03-03-2016, 03:28 PM

"Phony" and most look like huge round cantaloupe melons....Disgusting to me!!!...JMHO..What ever happened to just being the person you are and be happy!!

edgeman55
03-03-2016, 03:28 PM

Most come with Plastic Brains!!And as far as Biker image we have Street Vibrations here in Reno and I have had the pleasure of seeing some people who by the way they are dressed and look would not come across as nice people but were great to talk with.Also have seen some in all the latest gortex gear and clean cut on there high tech ride that were total A-Holes.Can't really judge a book by it's cover even if it has plastic TA Ta's.:yikes:

wjduke
03-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Don't knock them until you've tried them...I have...best set I've ever been in touch with.

ths61
03-03-2016, 08:08 PM

They are not run-flats. They have low tread life and have to be changed out every 10,000 miles. Now maybe if they were filled with Ride-On ...

shooter
03-03-2016, 08:12 PM

Man that's a good lookin dude in that pic.

TailGunner
03-03-2016, 08:31 PM
think about it, your just getting old

Ericb445
03-03-2016, 09:58 PM
I was at a local known Biker stop a few weekends ago. This guy stood out from all the rest, It looked like he bought the "Biker" starter package. Crisp and new everything head to toe all had the Harley logo. No helmet or true gear.
I just looked at him, shaking my head in my mind.
It does get a bit old when you look around and all the clichés are really true.
But I get get a kick out of it all, this is why I still go to known "Biker" Hangouts.

ths61
03-03-2016, 10:16 PM
My wife and I had a chuckle a few years ago. We rode down to the Easyrider show in Pomona and spent the day looking at bikes, vendors and exhibits. They used to have the Dyno-Drag where bikes could simulate drag-racing for times on a semi's dual-dyno trailer with countdown trees and fans. When we left for the day, we were behind a couple that were dressed up like pirates (do-rags, leather jackets, leather chaps, leather vests, colors, patches, chains, etc.). As we were putting our gear on at our bike, the couple popped the lid to their car trunk, took off all of their pirate gear, placed it in the trunk, got in their car and drove home.

I didn't know we weren't supposed to ride our bike to the motorcycle show. :yikes:

stroguy
03-03-2016, 10:27 PM
I love that Pirate Gear term. Makes me chuckle every time. Are you sure they aren't Raiders fans?

Retired Army
03-03-2016, 10:34 PM
The Hells Angeles introduced the bad ass, patch and vest arena. As much as I hate to admit it's still alive. On the positive side are the organizations that provide education and training on how to dress and ride safely. One expression to come out of all of this is risk management. I prefer to imagine my self as a risk manager rather than a biker.

wjduke
03-04-2016, 05:29 AM
My wife and I had a chuckle a few years ago. We rode down to the Easyrider show in Pomona and spent the day looking at bikes, vendors and exhibits. They used to have the Dyno-Drag where bikes could simulate drag-racing for times on a semi's dual-dyno trailer with countdown trees and fans. When we left for the day, we were behind a couple that were dressed up like pirates (do-rags, leather jackets, leather chaps, leather vests, colors, patches, chains, etc.). As we were putting our gear on at our bike, the couple popped the lid to their car trunk, took off all of their pirate gear, placed it in the trunk, got in their car and drove home.

I didn't know we weren't supposed to ride our bike to the motorcycle show. :yikes:

I just literally laughed out loud.

Injun Joe
03-04-2016, 06:53 AM
Personally, the biggest a-holes on two wheels that I've met have all the gortex, many dollars of helmet complete with in helmet com, on a BMW or... Yes... A Goldwing. Granted, it's all just stereotypes and anecdotal evidence but if I need help while out on my bike, it's more likely to come from a pirate than the dual sports and crotch rockets zipping past. Bottom line, I'm ok with the pirate image. My personal steez is more steampunk but whatever.

Deer Slayer
03-04-2016, 09:32 AM
All I need is a goofy shirt.:039:
sorry I will not make it to Daytona. YA'LL have fun.:cheers:

willtill
03-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Google "Biker Images"

https://www.google.com/search?q=biker+image&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiN_eaPoKfLAhXim4MKHbbdCR4Q_AUIBygB&biw=1600&bih=1021#imgrc=_

Quite interesting.... :icon_mrgreen:

DMAGOLDRDR
03-04-2016, 11:18 AM
This is too friggin funny.

http://www.ride-ct.com/?p=13915

On sale at Sears.com for those who just can’t be bothered there is a leather biker vest” with 42 patches, snaps and laced sides for sale.

CheesyRider
03-04-2016, 01:41 PM
On sale at Sears.com
I was very disappointed to find that Sears doesn't have any left. But, I decided to check on Ebay. Sure enough I found it! And, they have a photo of he front AND the back. It's twice as awesome as I expected!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Buffalo-Leather-Diamond-Plate-Rock-Design-Biker-Vest-With-42-Patches-LG-/371564008736?hash=item5682f0d520:g:DZYAAOSwLVZVhuK B&vxp=mtr

Edit: I made a mistake. Sears does still have it (http://www.sears.com/closeoutzone-genuine-leather-biker-vest-42-patches-snaps/p-0000000000000002287300000000000011699002P?sid=IMx2 0120601x002000-MPClothingShoesJewelry-activeusersFBX), but not in my size. Ebay has my size and it's way less expensive. I know what I'm buying today!

ths61
03-04-2016, 01:43 PM
My wife complains that my sport bike makes me look fat.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Overweight_biker.jpg/755px-Overweight_biker.jpg

Oh, and they are real, not plastic.

Cool Hand Luke
03-04-2016, 01:49 PM
I was very disappointed to find that Sears doesn't have any left. But, I decided to check on Ebay. Sure enough I found it! And, they have a photo of he front AND the back. It's twice as awesome as I expected!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Buffalo-Leather-Diamond-Plate-Rock-Design-Biker-Vest-With-42-Patches-LG-/371564008736?hash=item5682f0d520:g:DZYAAOSwLVZVhuK B&vxp=mtr

Wow, that's messed up! I'm getting one... ;-)

I have no problem with fake boobs either...

willtill
03-04-2016, 01:59 PM
I don't like fake boobies... I like the real deal. :icon_wink:

Ixol Phaane
03-04-2016, 07:54 PM
This is too friggin funny.

http://www.ride-ct.com/?p=13915

On sale at Sears.com for those who just can’t be bothered there is a leather biker vest” with 42 patches, snaps and laced sides for sale.

The description also says... Made with real buffalo leather.

At the bottom... 100% cotton. Imported.

Sears... :icon_doh:

Ixol Phaane
03-04-2016, 07:56 PM
My wife complains that my sport bike makes me look fat.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Overweight_biker.jpg/755px-Overweight_biker.jpg

Oh, and they are real, not plastic.

Come on now... this guy list a bet, right?!

Old Ryder
03-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Which one of these guys is trying to look like a cool biker/ bike builder and which one rides an F6B?

ths61
03-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Which one of these guys is trying to look like a cool biker and which one rides an F6B?

Is that Arlen Ness with the water bottle ?

Old Ryder
03-05-2016, 07:02 PM
:shhh:
Don't want to make him mad at me. I guess it's not that hard to tell us apart. Huh ?

ths61
03-05-2016, 08:49 PM
:shhh:
Don't want to make him mad at me. I guess it's not that hard to tell us apart. Huh ?

I bought my B from his shop. Smoothest vehicle purchase I have ever made.

Old Ryder
03-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Lol. Very nice guy. Talked to him for a while today in Daytona.

ths61
03-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Lol. Very nice guy. Talked to him for a while today in Daytona.

You will have to post a thread about Daytona.

I did business with his shop on 2 separate occasions. I was pleased/impressed with both transactions and if have the opportunity, would not hesitate to do business with him again.

olegoat345
11-29-2016, 12:07 AM
I lived in the FL. Keys for 19 years. We had the "Friday lunch bunch." Ages from mid 50's to 80's. Met at the local Tom Thumb ever Friday, roll out at 10AM, come at 10:02 you missed out. Talk about a bunch of non-looking bikers, tank tops, shorts, & flip flops. Most of the time, I was the only one w/ long pants & a helmet. Great bunch of guys, no macho crap, may be 1 beer while we shot pool after lunch at a old bar over looking the ocean. I miss spending Fridays with them.

seadog
11-29-2016, 07:10 AM

On that flat silver beast your riding, you will never own up to the biker image without some chrome goodies.

tiltingf6b
11-29-2016, 07:22 AM

They market to the folks they perceive have the moolah $$$ or the mid-life issues or both. But I definitely agree with you - we do not all look alike - my wife went to the leather shop to pick up some stuff I had altered and they told her "we would have NEVER guessed your hubby rode motorcycles".:stirthepot:

wjduke
11-29-2016, 08:05 AM
On that flat silver beast your riding, you will never own up to the biker image without some chrome goodies.
Sorry, not a chrome whore :joke: I LOVE the fact that I have less maintenance.

GNW
11-29-2016, 08:17 AM
I loved reading all the replies to this thread. Honestly, my wife and I feel the same way as the rest of you, but, motorcyclist are the existence of a variety of cultural or ethnic groups within a biker society. You got to love it. At almost 70 and having motorcycled since I was 10, I have seen a few bikers and rode with a few that weren't just right. Crazy as it is, it's a HOOT to ride or go to a rally and be so amused at the motorcycles and people that ride. It makes my hobby (if you will) so interesting and exciting. Circus maybe, but it's fun. Oh yes, I still love to hear the blip of the throttle of an old Shovelhead when it falls into it's slow lope. For years I used to tell folks that a Harley was like falling into love with a prostitute. She ain't no good, but you still love her.

'gw-smiley'

Allen Framen
11-29-2016, 08:54 AM
My "pirate" friends were always jealous of the attention that I got at the biker hangouts when I rolled up on my Road King in my full face helmet and my blue Aerostich Roadcrafter. And I think that they were envious when I just patiently stood and waited for them to frantically get into their rain gear in a downpour. It was fun because the target of the teasing changed depending on conditions.

af

pilotguy299
11-29-2016, 10:40 AM
I had a friend a few years back who was heavy in to the Harley attire thing whenever he went riding.

I had a VTX the last time we rode together, and could throw on a pair of jeans and a yellow t-shirt and everything else in about 5 minutes. Ride to over to his house 5 minutes later and he WAS STILL putting on his Harley garb. Another 10 minutes before he was FINALLY ready to go riding.

He kept on trying to convince me to trade in my VTX and get a FLUTCH'N-EIEIO so I could have the "Harley Experience".

Sorry, I prefer using that time to ride and pick up young bitches on my F6B! ;)

NAHD
11-29-2016, 10:43 AM
I make it a point to never wear a thing with a high viz corporate logos. Saving up for an X-14. Been thinking I might put a small Jap war flag sticker on the back just to be a dick.

pilotguy299
11-29-2016, 11:10 AM
I make it a point to never wear a thing with a high viz corporate logos. Saving up for an X-14. Been thinking I might put a small Jap war flag sticker on the back just to be a dick.

One of these?

lol

NAHD
11-29-2016, 12:14 PM
I was lazy posting. Anyhow, someone mentioned the Beemer and Goldwing snobs with their fancy gear. I'm not a snob but I like the good stuff. I did think of that plane when I first tried on a Shoei X14. Here's a cool sticker I found http://m.ebay.com/itm/JAPAN-FLAG-FLAG-SKULL-and-BONES-JAPANESE-RISING-SUN-Vinyl-Sticker-Decal-JDM-/391415542837?hash=item5b222f3435%3Ag%3AurgAAOxyRhB S20yf&_trkparms=pageci%253A80876b97-b656-11e6-9cae-74dbd1809f12%257Cparentrq%253Ab10f7c781580a2ab98b5 c095ffea570b%257Ciid%253A2

opas ride
11-29-2016, 04:39 PM
If you ever go "down" on a bike the fancy gear and suits etc. just may save your ass from a "huge case of road rash"...T-Shirts and old jeans don't help much, but sure are easy to put on and look "cool"!!! I ride at times with a friend who has a BMW R1200RT and he has the whole deal, full face Schubert helmet, ear plugs, full riding leathers, Sidi boots, leather gloves, and all..By the time he gets ready and dressed, I am halfway up the road.....But as they say, "Too each his own".....Ride safe

Steve 0080
11-29-2016, 07:37 PM
If you ever go "down" on a bike the fancy gear and suits etc. just may save your ass from a "huge case of road rash"...T-Shirts and old jeans don't help much, but sure are easy to put on and look "cool"!!! I ride at times with a friend who has a BMW R1200RT and he has the whole deal, full face Schubert helmet, ear plugs, full riding leathers, Sidi boots, leather gloves, and all..By the time he gets ready and dressed, I am halfway up the road.....But as they say, "Too each his own".....Ride safe

Easy, easy...I have a costume like this and a couple more depending on what bike I am riding !!!

ShanghaiDan
11-30-2016, 12:21 AM
I'm able to slip on my Olympia Avenger suit, Held gloves, and Schuberth C3Pro helmet on in about 2 minutes flat. Plenty fast - and I am VERY well protected if I go down (and the Avenger flows a ton of air through the mesh, more than enough for summers in the East LA area with triple digits). The key is boots - some good boots (I like Dainese Fulcrums) that are extremely comfortable to wear for walking. No need to change out of them, they're good for an entire day without an issue!

RTaz
12-01-2016, 08:04 AM

seadog
12-01-2016, 08:19 AM

Robert,
Still hobbling around or is it to a point where your vertical and able to cover some ground. I took the bike out the other day for a very short ride just to get the storage stuff I put in the gas thru the whole system. Really been tied up with fall cleanup as I have about 9 big red pines, 2 white pines and 3 monster oak tree, and 2 red maples in the yard. Hope everything is healing nicely, spring is coming and I am just trying to get the finish cleaning done on the B before putting it away.

Retired Army
12-01-2016, 09:30 AM
One of these?

lol

Tell the crew chief we need a propeller installed.

RTaz
12-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Robert,
Still hobbling around or is it to a point where your vertical and able to cover some ground. I took the bike out the other day for a very short ride just to get the storage stuff I put in the gas thru the whole system. Really been tied up with fall cleanup as I have about 9 big red pines, 2 white pines and 3 monster oak tree, and 2 red maples in the yard. Hope everything is healing nicely, spring is coming and I am just trying to get the finish cleaning done on the B before putting it away.

I'm hobbling around, the good thing is my boys came up and cleaned up my yard I have a lot of oaks and pines plus I am surrounded by forest. I still haven't been able to get the oil changed in all the bikes or get a battery tender on the f6b yet but I'm working on it.