PDA

View Full Version : Tail of the Dragon

stevenolts
03-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Anyone been to the Tail of the Dragon? I am going to Ocala, Florida in a few weeks and and I saw that it would be only a few hours out of my way to go to the Tail of the Dragon. Does anyone have advice? where to stay, eat, etc... Do most people make just one pass?

I would appreciate any advice.
Steve

GaTeach
03-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Do one pass so you can say that you've done it and you can have the professional photo to prove it and then ride some of the really kick ass roads in the area. Cherohala, Hellbender, Wayah, 64, War Woman....

Of course, that's just me. Everyone has an opinion about the Dragon. :)

But let me know when you're here! I'll call in sick to go riding!

Nightwing_67
03-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Do one pass so you can say that you've done it and you can have the professional photo to prove it and then ride some of the really kick ass roads in the area. Cherohala, Hellbender, Wayah, 64, War Woman....

I did once a couple of years ago, but would like to do more riding in the area. where is a good place to stay?

stroguy
03-03-2016, 12:59 PM
The hospitals blow in that area. I would stay away from them.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-03-2016, 01:22 PM

What teach said......
I have been a few times and I stay at the TWO WHEEL INN in Robbinsville on 129 but it is out of town. Nice place with a garage for your bike attached to your room.

F6B1911
03-03-2016, 02:22 PM

If you're going to do the tail, then you gotta do it in both directions.
Once you get to either end, there's a turn around, stop there, catch your breath and do it again!

Steve 0080
03-03-2016, 02:56 PM
The dragon IMHO is over rated..over ridden and many more roads to ride ..to crowed as well...take your time...a lot of new folks feel the need to prove a point !

stepbill
03-03-2016, 03:04 PM
If you're going to do the tail, then you gotta do it in both directions.
Once you get to either end, there's a turn around, stop there, catch your breath and do it again!

I agree with that as it is two different rides completely. You go uphill one way which I believe is easier and then down hill the other way which in my opinion is a little tougher. Be sure to ride it at your own pace and ride it during a weekday, not during the weekend!

billsim
03-03-2016, 03:15 PM
The hospitals blow in that area. I would stay away from them.

Made my day!:lolup:

Bob Penn
03-03-2016, 03:32 PM
You might want to stay in the little town of Maggie Valley close by with plenty of motels restaurants and things to do. It's a biker friendly town complete with a motorcycle museum called "Wheels through Time". Well worth the time to walk through.
There's an Indian reservation near by that's interesting to visit and some great riding roads. I wish I could give you more detail as to the road numbers, but it was some time ago and I was following a local friend who knew the roads up through the parks.
IMHO Those roads were a lot better then the Dragon itself. To me the dragon had some nice turns but far too many switch-backs to be fun. Not to mention the crazies.

Old Ryder
03-03-2016, 04:27 PM
been there well over a half dozen time--- I really can't remember how many and I agree with most folks---it is a bit over rated, but it is fun and again---it is a different road depending on your direction. NOW IF YOU WANT MY ADVICE..................If you are coming down I77 around Fancy Gap, Va., cut over to Hwy 52 and take the Blue Ridge Parkway for a very nice--not too stressful ride with wonderful scenery. Then about 30 miles before Asheville, get off the BRP onto Hwy 80 South for one of the wildest 18 mile rollercoaster rides that has not been discovered, yet. Blind Kenny Photos used to be set up on 80, but I have not seen him in a while. At the end of Hwy 80 in Marion, you can take the short ride on US 70 to Asheville and continue on your journey. If you decide you still want to do "The Gap" you are only a few hours away when you get to Asheville but there are better roads in that area such as US 28 which is also on the way.

Your smileage may vary.

wjduke
03-03-2016, 04:44 PM
What's anyone's opinion of the "Back of the Dragon"? Rt 16 from Marion, Va north. Being from the Northeast, I thought it was quite the challenge. Did that 3 summer's ago with an M109 rally group.

blueverclear
03-03-2016, 06:10 PM

You hit all of the high notes babe! Some great riding in the area for sure. I would also add 441 over new found gap, blue ridge parkway, 28 moonshiners rd, fontana damn, Foothills Parkway, and so many more lol best riding in the country hands down.

I love this place called Lloyds on the River in Bryson City NC. Thats where i stay ever year. THis is a nice loop you can do.

https://goo.gl/maps/eeeCfEvQWpT2

BobR
03-03-2016, 06:43 PM
When you get to Ocala message me. There are some killer roads down here too. There are quite a few of us who own F6B's here in the area.

Ixol Phaane
03-04-2016, 08:12 PM

Take her up on the offer! Teach knows some great local routes there. :icon_biggrin:
I enjoyed the single pass I made last summer. I guess that qualifies me to say "Been there..."
Would have loved to run it a few times... with less traffic. But it was interesting and fun. I'll do it again if I find myself in the neighborhood.