PDA

View Full Version : Powering a GPS

Michael_A
03-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Hi guys;

Thinking about getting a GPS (higher end Garmin, TomTom, etc.) and pretty much think mounting it on the clutch lever side using a Ram mount - the kind that replaces the pinch clamp that actually holds the lever/mater cylinder onto the bars. Question is... how the heck do you get power to the thing? Is there an easy way? Am I going to have to pull the top shelter off to run a power cable up the bar? If so, anybody got a post up on doing it (at least pulling the shelter off, if I gotta run a cable I'll figure it out...)?

Thanks!

Big Cat
03-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Michael,

I have had a similar mount arrangement for my Garmin 665 on three previous Goldwings. Similar but not the same...I preferred the reservoir cap mount...gets the GPS up a little higher for better visibility, and allows me to use the clamp mount for my Butler mug.

But either way, the wire routing will be the same, and yes, you will have to remove one side of your top shelter. But relax, it's easy!

You may want to consider one of several available fuse blocks, to be located under the seat. This greatly simplifies this and future accessory wiring and keeps the battery connection clean.

Back to the fundamental question, you will need to remove the seat and either the right or left top shelter, then feed the wire up the handlebar. I never really liked that arrangement, as you will need to be very careful to avoid pinching or rubbing the wire when turning the handlebars.

Think about which side you want the GPS on! I found the left side better, so I could keep my right hand on the throttle while using my left hand to work the GPS.

If you would consider another option, I have installed my GPS on a farkle shelf above the dash and am 100% happy with the results. Better visibility, right in my line of sight, no more hassle with rubbing or pinched wiring, just a better all-around solution, IMHO.

If you don't have a set of Goldwing maintenance videos, there are two options I know of, either Fred Harmon or Cruiseman, either one well worth the money. Either one will show you step-by-step how to remove the seat and shelters. It seems to be a daunting task if you've never done it before, but after having done it countless times, it's no big deal!

If you need help, send me a PM or call me at 615-604-2100 and I'll walk you through it.

Canuck_Doug
03-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Hi Mike. I recently purchased a Tom Tom Rider. It came with RAM mounting hardware and a power cable. As you can see from the attached pic's, I attached the GPS to the clutch reservoir and ran the power cable through the conduit on the handle bar down out towards the front of the bike and then back into the left cubby through the cable grommet. There is an available connector that offers the same 12v aux socket connector that I used to connect the power cable to the GPS to.
It works perfect. You turn the bike on and it powers the GPS.193841938519386

dksmith
03-03-2016, 08:30 PM
I installed my Garmin on clutch perch using supplied mount. I removed cubby and connected audio output to aux input. Audio now comes through bike speakers and music on garmin automatically mutes when it speaks directions. For power I removed only the side cover that gives access to battery and fuse box. Pushed a large TyRap under shelter a few times until it came out where power wire is. Taped power wires to it and pulled back through. No shelter removal. I did have to extend the power wires to reach the aux terminals so there was enough loop left up front for lock to lock steering input.

F6Pilot
03-03-2016, 09:50 PM
I followed the same route as Canuck_Doug with both the mount and wiring for my Garmin. I also cut the supplied power lead near the mount and installed a weatherproof plug in line. That way I can remove both the gps and the mount if I desire.

Steve 0080
03-04-2016, 07:09 AM
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1735/PN-065-0523/TOURATECH-Zumo-660-665-Handlebar-Mount-V2-0-Locking-Silver

http://www.kradellock.com/

I have the top one, the bottom one is very nice and cleaner line...

Fla_rider
03-04-2016, 08:30 AM
The shelter is fairly easy to remove. My Garmin is high up on my screen, I ran the garmin cable from the left cubby up through the fairing and drilled a hole in the dash to run it through. It comes out at the inside bottom of the screen. Presto!

3856 3857

You can see the power cord in the second pic.

lloydmoore1
03-04-2016, 08:35 AM
Check out this link and it might help.
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7468-Gps-install-Help!!

ReserveBum
03-04-2016, 08:39 AM
Temporary set up - I only use the GPS occasionally so I use the Ram set up with a short extension and just run the power cord into the left cubby where I installed a socket. Cut a little notch out of the cover to allow the wire to pass through.

Fla_rider
03-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Yeah Reserve I had the cable running thru the top with a notch. It got to be a bit of a pain. Closing takes a bunch of cussing and opening wasn't much easier.

Hornblower
03-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Yeah Reserve I had the cable running thru the top with a notch. It got to be a bit of a pain. Closing takes a bunch of cussing and opening wasn't much easier.

It's just not necessary to cut a notch and run the cable out the top where you can see it and where it interferes with opening and closing the lid. IMO, the better route is to go thru a hole in the bottom of the left cubby and out from under the fairing. That way, your cubby lid is not obstructed and you can't see the cable.

Az Wingrider
03-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Just another opinion for you to consider. I have a Garmin Zumo 665 which I feel is the best available motorcycle GPS. I have it mounted on the right handlebar with a Ram mount and it is wired to the acc side of the fuse panel. Regardless of which handlebar you mount it on you can operate the touch screen with the fingers of either hand. Reaching across with my left hand is actually very natural. I prefer the right side because visually the shoulder side of the road is usually less busy so the GPS is out of my normal line of sight and less distracting when I am not looking at it. I have mine wired to the acc side because I prefer for it to come on when I start the bike and to shut off when I shut off the bike. I don't like having to remember to switch it on or off These are just my personal preferences but it all works for me. One last thought I have been using Microsoft Streets and Trips for my routing and I like working with it better than any other of the software's currently available.

Good luck with whatever you decide on

MHutch26
03-06-2016, 11:18 AM
I'm running a new 5.5" Garmin off a ram mount on the clutch lever and love it and think it looks clean where it is.

Delta
03-06-2016, 03:24 PM
I'm running a new 5.5" Garmin off a ram mount on the clutch lever and love it and think it looks clean where it is.

Did you use the existing screws from the clutch bracket for the ram mount? I have that mount but no longer screws.

scoplin
03-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Mine required the longer screws that came with the ram mount.

carpdm
03-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Did you use the existing screws from the clutch bracket for the ram mount? I have that mount but no longer screws.

I have this setup. It does require longer screws because there are also spacers the screws need to pass through. Here is a link. You can see the spacers in the 1st pic.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-1U

Airborne06
03-07-2016, 08:47 AM
What about just using the suction cup mount on the windshield? I know they sell a larger more reliable suction cup mount than the one that comes with most GPSs. Then you can just run the wiring into the left cubby.

Michael_A
03-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Hi All!

Thanks so much for all the ideas, I really appreciate it! I decided to go with the Tom Tom Rider 400. I'll post up some feedback once I log some time with it. I'm going to try the left bar mount and run the cable down the conduit, forward, then back to the plug that powers the outlet in the cubby and try tapping into it. I think that may be the easiest and simplest solution. Later in the year when I have to change the air filter I may do a re-wire then. At least, that's the plan as of now! Could change! I'll post up with what I finally arrive at in a few days. Still waiting on the GPS and Ram mounts to arrive.