PDA

View Full Version : Mustang seat and Helibars?

Airborne06
03-07-2016, 08:32 AM
I had a new Mustang seat installed at Bike Week in Daytona this past Friday. I think I will like the seat once it (and my butt) are broken in....but now I sit too far back to reach the bars comfortably without hunching forward. I already have the MBL risers installed, but I need the bars to come back another 1 to 2 inches. Anyone out there have any real world experience with going from the MBL risers to Helibars? I'm thinking that if the Helibars don't do the trick, I will have a brand new Mustang seat for sale! Thanks for any input!

Hornblower
03-07-2016, 09:09 AM
I had a new Mustang seat installed at Bike Week in Daytona this past Friday. I think I will like the seat once it (and my butt) are broken in....but now I sit too far back to reach the bars comfortably without hunching forward. I already have the MBL risers installed, but I need the bars to come back another 1 to 2 inches. Anyone out there have any real world experience with going from the MBL risers to Helibars? I'm thinking that if the Helibars don't do the trick, I will have a brand new Mustang seat for sale! Thanks for any input!

MBL risers just didn't do it for me so I upgraded to the Helibars. There really is no comparison of the adjustment range between the two. If you can't find a comfortable position with the Helibars, something is terribly wrong.

Airborne06
03-07-2016, 09:19 AM
MBL risers just didn't do it for me so I upgraded to the Helibars. There really is no comparison of the adjustment range between the two. If you can't find a comfortable position with the Helibars, something is terribly wrong.

Thanks Hornblower! I read on the MBL website that their pullback is about 1.5 inches, while the Helibars claim "an up to 4 inch" pullback. I may have to go with the Helibars. Looks like another $900 "investment." It's only money....

Jimmytee
03-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks Hornblower! I read on the MBL website that their pullback is about 1.5 inches, while the Helibars claim "an up to 4 inch" pullback. I may have to go with the Helibars. Looks like another $900 "investment." It's only money....

Have they gone up? I thought I remember paying $795. Yes still a lot of money, but it is the best money I spent on my F6B so far.

Hornblower
03-07-2016, 11:22 AM

It makes sense to try the cheaper risers first, like you and I have, because they are adequate for many riders. I tend to have back pain so it was necessary to spend much more to get comfortable. My seat/bar combination is Ultimate Mid Rider/Helibars and that has proven to be the best solution for me.

BIGLRY
03-07-2016, 12:47 PM
MBL risers just didn't do it for me so I upgraded to the Helibars. There really is no comparison of the adjustment range between the two. If you can't find a comfortable position with the Helibars, something is terribly wrong. +1 :yes:

98valk
03-07-2016, 12:49 PM

I have a Mustang seat, MBL risers and Helibars. I don't know if the Helibars would have been enough on their own, but in conjunction with the MBL risers, I have plenty of adjustment.

I am 5'10" and can now sit back into the lower back support of the Mustang seat. I could not and did not do that before the Helibars. But, I did not buy the bars for that reason, it was just a nice result. I got them for a more comfortable wrist angle.

Airborne06
03-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Have they gone up? I thought I remember paying $795. Yes still a lot of money, but it is the best money I spent on my F6B so far.

Now they are $825 plus an additional $100 for installation. At least that is what I was quoted at Daytona.

Airborne06
03-07-2016, 02:06 PM
It makes sense to try the cheaper risers first, like you and I have, because they are adequate for many riders. I tend to have back pain so it was necessary to spend much more to get comfortable. My seat/bar combination is Ultimate Mid Rider/Helibars and that has proven to be the best solution for me.
I agree with trying the cheaper route first. The Mustang sits me lower and about an inch or so back. Even with the MBLs, I am now "reaching" for a comfortable arm/shoulder position and am unable to sit back in the pocket of the seat. I have had lower back surgery already, and have a few protruding disks in my neck (occupational hazard). I need to be fully upright with a relaxed arm position. I hope the Helibars do the trick...

Airborne06
03-12-2016, 04:10 PM
I have a Mustang seat, MBL risers and Helibars. I don't know if the Helibars would have been enough on their own, but in conjunction with the MBL risers, I have plenty of adjustment.

I am 5'10" and can now sit back into the lower back support of the Mustang seat. I could not and did not do that before the Helibars. But, I did not buy the bars for that reason, it was just a nice result. I got them for a more comfortable wrist angle.

Now that I've had the Mustang for a week and put about 200 miles on it, I'm not sure it's for me. So far I find the OEM seat more comfortable. I may end up selling the Mustang if things don't change. I also don't like the fact that the higher peg position causes a more severe bend in my legs since the seat is an inch or so lower. I am hoping some time/miles will help me adjust to those ergonomics, but I didn't enjoy today's ride after about 25 miles.

Airborne06
04-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Now that I've had the Mustang for a week and put about 200 miles on it, I'm not sure it's for me. So far I find the OEM seat more comfortable. I may end up selling the Mustang if things don't change. I also don't like the fact that the higher peg position causes a more severe bend in my legs since the seat is an inch or so lower. I am hoping some time/miles will help me adjust to those ergonomics, but I didn't enjoy today's ride after about 25 miles.

Update (FWIW): I purchased the Helibars and am having them installed next Friday at an installer in Brandon Florida recommended by the folks at Helibars. Hopefully this will make the overall ergonomics of the bike fit me better. Otherwise, this has been a very expensive experiment! I want to be able to sit back fully in the Mustang seat and see if that affects the comfort. The Helibars should allow that. If not I will go back to the OEM seat and make a decision....

I have the Helibars on my Harley, and they made a big difference. I am dialed in on that bike!

Jimmytee
04-01-2016, 05:41 PM
Update (FWIW): I purchased the Helibars and am having them installed next Friday at an installer in Brandon Florida recommended by the folks at Helibars. Hopefully this will make the overall ergonomics of the bike fit me better. Otherwise, this has been a very expensive experiment! I want to be able to sit back fully in the Mustang seat and see if that affects the comfort. The Helibars should allow that. If not I will go back to the OEM seat and make a decision....

I have the Helibars on my Harley, and they made a big difference. I am dialed in on that bike!

You will like the Helibars. Yes , they are not cheap, but besides the ergo benefits, they really do stiffen up the feel of the front end.

Brewdog
04-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Airborne6,

I had a mustang seat on one of my older bikes and I didn't like it either. It wasn't as comfortable as the Corbin seats I've had. I know exactly how you feel.

The F6B Corbin seat is appealing, but I'm not uncomfortable enough yet to flip 6 or 7 bills for a replacement seat. Good luck selling it.

Airborne06
04-02-2016, 11:29 AM
Airborne6,

I had a mustang seat on one of my older bikes and I didn't like it either. It wasn't as comfortable as the Corbin seats I've had. I know exactly how you feel.

The F6B Corbin seat is appealing, but I'm not uncomfortable enough yet to flip 6 or 7 bills for a replacement seat. Good luck selling it.

Thanks Brew-D!

RickW
04-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Thanks Brew-D!

Be careful listening to personal opinions on your purchase.
We have sold multiple brands of seats and have used multiple brands of seats on all bikes we have owned.
We talk to dozens of people a day and a get a lot of questions and feedback on seats.
Boils down to what you like the feel of and fitment for you. Another big concern is how firm the seat is, we have a Corbin on our Spyder and love it. About 50% of our customers do not like how firm it is, they do like the looks though.
So it is a personal choice depending on how much you want to spend, looks, fitment for you and firmness among other things. Most seat manufacturers have different styles which are going to fit and feel totally different for the same bike. So making an opinion on one seat brand based on one seat on one bike may not be totally correct.

Steve 0080
04-03-2016, 09:01 AM
We have sold multiple brands of seats and have used multiple brands of seats on all bikes we have owned.
We talk to dozens of people a day and a get a lot of questions and feedback on seats.
Boils down to what you like the feel of and fitment for you. Another big concern is how firm the seat is, we have a Corbin on our Spyder and love it. About 50% of our customers do not like how firm it is, they do like the looks though.
So it is a personal choice depending on how much you want to spend, looks, fitment for you and firmness among other things. Most seat manufacturers have different styles which are going to fit and feel totally different for the same bike. So making an opinion on one seat brand based on one seat on one bike may not be totally correct.

+1... exactly !

53driver
04-03-2016, 09:02 AM

+1. Until your person sits on a certain seat, on a certain bike, there is NO WAY of positively knowing if that seat will do right by you or not for that bike..
Unfortunately, for most males, this goes against our primal instinct of "just buying."

We have to actually go (cue ominous music) shopping!! :yikes:

Old Ryder
04-03-2016, 09:09 AM
I liked the Mustang and the way it put me further back---but it also sat me lower. So it had to go as my knees were higher than my hips. I needed the Ultimate King Rider seat to get me up and back which---like you--created an issue reaching the bars. I tried risers and that did not do it alone. So I switched them out for Helibars and that did not do it alone----either. I ended up with risers AND Helibars and an Ultimate king Rider seat.

As much as I love my F6B, this has been the hardest bike I have ever owned when it comes to trying to get it to fit my body size and comfort level. As I read experiences from riders like yourself, it seems like this is a common problem.

Airborne06
04-11-2016, 12:32 PM
I liked the Mustang and the way it put me further back---but it also sat me lower. So it had to go as my knees were higher than my hips. I needed the Ultimate King Rider seat to get me up and back which---like you--created an issue reaching the bars. I tried risers and that did not do it alone. So I switched them out for Helibars and that did not do it alone----either. I ended up with risers AND Helibars and an Ultimate king Rider seat.

As much as I love my F6B, this has been the hardest bike I have ever owned when it comes to trying to get it to fit my body size and comfort level. As I read experiences from riders like yourself, it seems like this is a common problem.
I had the Helibars installed on Friday. I still couldn't get ergonomically comfortable with the Mustang seat/Helibars combo. I removed the Mustang this morning, and it is going up for sale as soon as I get around to listing it. I also removed the Rivco highway pegs and am selling them too. I put the stock seat back on. The Helibars and stock seat are better for me than with the Mustang....although I did like the lower position with the Mustang. I am getting some Kuryakyn Ergo II's to replace the Rivco pegs. This bike, for me, is a real challenge to get dialed in.

GaTeach
04-11-2016, 07:27 PM
And your opinion on the helibars? And the installation?

Rudy
04-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Do the Helibars require any cable changes? For those of you that used both risers and Helibars did you have to change any cables with that combination?

Jimmytee
04-12-2016, 02:48 AM
Do the Helibars require any cable changes? For those of you that used both risers and Helibars did you have to change any cables with that combination?

The Helibars by themselves don't require any longer cables. The Helibars come with an adapter for the brake and clutch reservoirs that changes the angle that the brake and clutch lines attach.

Can't speak directly about the combination of the risers and the Helibars, but there are at least 1 or 2 here that have done that and I don't believe they had to change their lines/cables.

98valk
04-12-2016, 10:12 AM
I use risers and helibars together and did not have to change any cabling.

The hydraulic lines are pretty tight, but you can pull a little more slack for them.

The throttle lines are tight and there doesn't seem to be any extra. Whenever I finally change my air filter, I'll see if I can find some more slack.

It is real nice to be able to sit back into the mustang seat. I don't think that I could have done that comfortably without the risers.

Cobraguy
04-12-2016, 10:16 AM
I should be getting a set of Helibars for the F6 Thursday according to FedEx. I'll let you know if the existing risers pose a problem on the install.

Airborne06
04-12-2016, 03:34 PM
And your opinion on the helibars? And the installation?

I was familiar with the Helibars before I had them installed on the F6B. I currently have them on my Harley Ultra Limited. The Helibars offer such a wide range of angles and adjustments, it's hard to see how one couldn't find a satisfactory ergonomic position.
The installation is something that is best left to EXPERIENCED installers. Helibars will give you the name/location of their recommended installer closest to you. Mine wasn't too far away...about 20 miles. They did a great job, but I did more assisting than I anticipated. They only charged me $100, and it took them roughly three hours.

The combination of the Helibars and a Sundowner seat on my Ultra is perfect...bike fits like a glove. The Helibars on the F6B sure help, but I still need to do some tweaking to get it all dialed in perfectly. That is also the beauty of the Helibars. After you ride awhile, it is simple to make adjustments to fine tune the installation.

The most difficult aspect of owning Helibars is parting with the roughly $800. Then again, how much is your comfort and overall riding enjoyment worth to you?

Hope this helps!

Cobraguy
04-12-2016, 04:44 PM
$825 just another drop in the bucket of keeping her happy.

Airborne06
04-12-2016, 04:58 PM

I think I need a bigger bucket!

53driver
04-12-2016, 05:08 PM

I think I need a bigger bucket!

I need a bigger hose and spigot....

Old Ryder
04-12-2016, 07:45 PM

I have Helibars and Rockys Risers. Some rerouting of cables was required, but nothing major and/or replacing was necessary. Installing everything was a bit time consuming but for the mechanically inclined was not a big deal.

Airborne06
04-12-2016, 07:59 PM
I have Helibars and Rockys Risers. Some rerouting of cables was required, but nothing major and/or replacing was necessary. Installing everything was a bit time consuming but for the mechanically inclined was not a big deal.

I have the MBL risers. For some reason, the Helibars did not fit properly with the MBLs in place...the crossbar on the Helibars did not fit properly in the c clamp(s). Maybe it was the angle created by the MBLs. Or maybe my installer just didn't do it correctly. I ended up with just the Helibars.

stevenolts
04-13-2016, 06:51 AM
So I guess what your saying is wait for the rally before buying any new accessories. The rally will be a show room for testing most of the options available for the F6B.
I thought I had my bike pretty well set up!!! I did not know I needed any thing else for my bike but I always feel like I need something after reading this forum.
I am now interested in seeing the stereo options, Helibars, lighting, gear indicator, lowering kits, seats, power supply, handle bar mounts, heated grips, pipes, etc...
so I have decided to wait and test at the rally. I better start saving because after seeing all the stuff I can't live without I will be on a spending spree.

Steve

Cobraguy
04-13-2016, 08:49 AM
The MBLs angle the bars in slightly bringing the grips closer together. That would make the bar mount on the Helibars not parallel. I was wondering about that, as I have MBL risers on it now.

53driver
04-13-2016, 09:45 AM
So I guess what your saying is wait for the rally before buying any new accessories. The rally will be a show room for testing most of the options available for the F6B.
I thought I had my bike pretty well set up!!! I did not know I needed any thing else for my bike but I always feel like I need something after reading this forum.
I am now interested in seeing the stereo options, Helibars, lighting, gear indicator, lowering kits, seats, power supply, handle bar mounts, heated grips, pipes, etc...
so I have decided to wait and test at the rally. I better start saving because after seeing all the stuff I can't live without I will be on a spending spree.

Steve

Like any mistress, she has VERY tasteful needs...."ccsmiley"

Craig_328
04-13-2016, 10:07 AM

Thank you for your service!

I was in 2/325 AIR 08-11 along with some other airborne units :)

98valk
04-13-2016, 11:50 AM
I have the MBL risers. For some reason, the Helibars did not fit properly with the MBLs in place...the crossbar on the Helibars did not fit properly in the c clamp(s). Maybe it was the angle created by the MBLs. Or maybe my installer just didn't do it correctly. I ended up with just the Helibars.

I think that I got lucky. I have MBL wide risers and they do work. After I was all done, I wondered if the narrow version would have worked. Dodge a bullet there! :yikes:

Airborne06
04-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Thank you for your service!

I was in 2/325 AIR 08-11 along with some other airborne units :)

Airborne!

Airborne06
04-13-2016, 02:49 PM
I think that I got lucky. I have MBL wide risers and they do work. After I was all done, I wondered if the narrow version would have worked. Dodge a bullet there! :yikes:

I think you are correct. The standard MBLs changed the angle that made the Helibars impossible to install. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! :icon_lol:

Rob41
04-20-2016, 02:25 AM
I am sold on the Heli-Bars and will get them in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing if you find the seat that will allow you to get dialed in on your 6. Hopefully you'll find just the right combination, good luck.

Airborne06
04-20-2016, 01:45 PM
I am sold on the Heli-Bars and will get them in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing if you find the seat that will allow you to get dialed in on your 6. Hopefully you'll find just the right combination, good luck.

Thanks Rob! Waiting on a set of wide MBLs to arrive to see if I can install them in conjunction with the Helibars. In the meantime, it's back to the OEM seat with the Helibars alone.

Cobraguy
04-21-2016, 09:09 AM
GATeach my wife loves the Helibars. The install was not that difficult, IMO. The included instructions and pictures are spot on and easy to understand and follow. If one can change the air filter on their F6B they can handle the install. I'm a well versed mechanic and the install took me 3 hrs with a wounded left thumb slowing me down. She has the bars pulled all the way back and down low to the top shelter. Not where I'd put them but then I don't ride hers far or often. This bar position relieves the shoulder pain and fatigue she previously experienced on long hauls. She did put the stock seat back on and the Mustang is up for sale now.

Rob41
04-21-2016, 11:23 PM
Does the center bar obstruct your view of anything?

Jimmytee
04-22-2016, 04:52 AM
Does the center bar obstruct your view of anything?

No, Unless you put a cup holder like I have on mine with a large Styrofoam 32 oz and larger cup from a gas stop. :icon_cool:
Then I have to look around the cup to see the screen with the odometer etc... information. Or I can just take a drink and see it. :icon_biggrin: Without a cup no obstruction. Odometer and trip meter info is all I use that screen for though. My entertainment system display is by my left controls on the clutch side handlebar.

RickW
04-23-2016, 09:14 AM
I have the Kuryakyn Risers on my F6B, works well for me.
Everyone raves about the HeliBars though. They work very well and I actually do have a set installed on my Ultra Classic.
We do have the HeliBars available on our site.
Don't forget to put in the code listed on the page for an additional discount on these bars.

HeliBars LST Multi-Axis Adjustable Handlebars, GL1800 Goldwing & F6B
(http://store.valueaccessories.net/HeliBarsLSTMulti-AxisAdjustableHandlebarsGL1800.aspx)

http://store.valueaccessories.net/images/products/detail/LST010842.JPG (http://store.valueaccessories.net/HeliBarsLSTMulti-AxisAdjustableHandlebarsGL1800.aspx)