PDA

View Full Version : Question for Steve/53 Driver

stepbill
03-11-2016, 09:30 PM
How well do your new led low beams project in the dark? I saw your pics in the other thread and they really look great! I need me a pair of both hi and lo's like you have.

53driver
03-12-2016, 12:20 AM
They are nothing short of amazing.
I actually dialed the low beams down a bit...people were pulling over on both sides of the road. All my lights are now the same temperature and I doubt I will ever be able to overdrive them.
The high beams are absolutely blinding to oncoming traffic.
Everyone who has seen the lights is impressed - even HD riders.

Saturday evening, hopefully we can do a side by side comparison with my LEDs, Steve's HIDs and someone else's stock setup and we'll post the pictures here.

Cheers,
Steve

seadog
03-12-2016, 06:07 AM
The guy coming at me with 3500 pounds of steel going 60 miles and hour and now unable to see where he is going! There are guys like me out there driving that have always been light sensitive. A very bright set of headlight is not what I want to see coming at me at night. Also a lot of guys can't afford 350 bucks worth of Zeis coated amber lens glasses like I wear to ward off such intrusions. I understand your looking at the problem of seeing in the dark from your point of view, but just try looking at it from somebody elses.

Jimmytee
03-12-2016, 06:55 AM
I actually dialed the low beams down a bit...people were pulling over on both sides of the road. All my lights are now the same temperature and I doubt I will ever be able to overdrive them.

Saturday evening, hopefully we can do a side by side comparison with my LEDs, Steve's HIDs and someone else's stock setup and we'll post the pictures here.

Cheers,
Steve

I sort of remember your post. Are these the ones that SoCal is supposed to be selling in the middle of this month?

jkelley
03-12-2016, 07:12 AM
The guy coming at me with 3500 pounds of steel going 60 miles and hour and now unable to see where he is going! There are guys like me out there driving that have always been light sensitive. A very bright set of headlight is not what I want to see coming at me at night. Also a lot of guys can't afford 350 bucks worth of Zeis coated amber lens glasses like I wear to ward off such intrusions. I understand your looking at the problem of seeing in the dark from your point of view, but just try looking at it from somebody elses.

I agree 100%. I do understand the want and need for better lighting for our bikes but I too am light sensitive, and it seems the "blue ones" people are now using really hurt me.

2015F6B
03-12-2016, 08:16 AM

+1

blueverclear
03-12-2016, 12:14 PM

Cheers,
Steve

Which exact ones do you have steve? What is the bulb number for our bikes? I had an H4/9003 led bulb on my last bike and the low/high beam was amazing.

To the point of the light being blinding, i mostly ride during the day so the light output being really bright only increases my visibility and shouldn't hurt anyone's vision. When I do ride at night, I like having the extra light in those dark corners and on the open road. Being able to see some debris in the road is very important as well. Sorry for the cages by my safety comes first. Also, leds tend to be much brighter but not as harsh as hids.

Hornblower
03-12-2016, 12:59 PM

The purpose of more powerful headlights is for US to see better. If the headlights are aimed properly, they shouldn't be a problem for oncoming traffic. There are possible exceptions to this assumption, however. Some HID and LED bulbs scatter the light and you tend to lose a clean cut-off. In those cases, you really can be an annoyance to oncoming traffic. So, moral of this story (IMHO, of course) is to choose your replacement bulbs wisely.

53driver
03-14-2016, 08:51 PM
There was some adjusting accomplished and oncoming traffic was not visibly upset with the low beams. The high beams are absolutely wicked bright and MUST be dimmed for oncoming traffic.

To those who are light sensitive, my safety comes comes first. Period.
If your physical limitations make you a hazard under certain conditions, understanding and avoiding those conditions should be a priority.
These are not those "blue" lights referenced below - those can bother me as well, but I have a nice set of night time driving glasses.

These are the SoCalMoto LEDs on their website. They were sold out at Daytona on Wednesday.
2300 lumens and they do throw!

Steve 0080
03-14-2016, 09:47 PM
There was some adjusting accomplished and oncoming traffic was not visibly upset with the low beams. The high beams are absolutely wicked bright and MUST be dimmed for oncoming traffic.

To those who are light sensitive, my safety comes comes first. Period.
If your physical limitations make you a hazard under certain conditions, understanding and avoiding those conditions should be a priority.
These are not those "blue" lights referenced below - those can bother me as well, but I have a nice set of night time driving glasses.

These are the SoCalMoto LEDs on their website. They were sold out at Daytona on Wednesday.
2300 lumens and they do throw!

The LED's are very nice !!!!!!!!