PDA

View Full Version : Metal grate bridge incident

VStarRider
03-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Took my 2004 VStar out for my second ride of the year (late start, early finish thanks to El Nino). While riding over a narrow span of an outlet to Lake Ontario, on a metal grate bridge, traffic in front of me rapidly came to a stop. I squeezed hard on the front brake only (no linked brakes) and readied my legs to prevent a spill to the bridge. It was not a panic stop, but about it required harder braking on that surface that I was comfortable doing. No locking and everything ended up fine.

Some thoughts:

1. I was not impressed with my reaction. I should have been more in control. I felt my eyes lock on the rear bumper of the Toyota Sienna minivan in front of me. I used the front brake only. I also did not make a wise choice with my legs, bracing for an imminent fall (that didn't come close to happening) rather than keeping them planted on the boards for stability and using the rear brake.

2. Take it easy on the first ride of the season. Gotta dust off the skills. This is a highly technical sport.

3. I find it much more challenging to switch between different bikes than different cars, snowmobiles, boats, etc. Going from the F6B to the Vstar requires an entirely different skill set and riding style.

wjduke
03-13-2016, 04:38 AM
Agree....I switched up with my friend yesterday. He wanted to try mine and he has an Indian Roadmaster. Leg position was the biggest challenge. It was only a 2 mile run, but it took adjusting for sure. BTW, I wasn't overly impressed and am glad I made the choice I did.

Doug44
03-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Agree....I switched up with my friend yesterday. He wanted to try mine and he has an Indian Roadmaster. Leg position was the biggest challenge. It was only a 2 mile run, but it took adjusting for sure. BTW, I wasn't overly impressed and am glad I made the choice I did.

I never switch my motorcycle, my car, or my wife, someone likely will throw a rod in all of em
.notworthy.

stroguy
03-13-2016, 08:05 AM
LOLOLOLOL

VStarRider
03-13-2016, 11:29 AM
I never switch my motorcycle, my car, or my wife, someone likely will throw a rod in all of em
.notworthy.

Hope you don't mind, but I will be stealing that saying and making it my own.

VStarRider
03-13-2016, 11:35 AM

The way they steer is so different too. And the VStar doesn't even have that steep of a rake! Who woulda thought the 900 lb F6B handles so well.

I feel a lot safer on the F6B, not only because of its presence (and visibility for cagers) but because of its handling.

That being said, I also appreciate the simplicity of the VStar. There's nothing to it. The most sophisticated component is the speedometer.

Doug44
03-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Hope you don't mind, but I will be stealing that saying and making it my own.

My pleasure you are more than welcome :icon_cool: