PDA

View Full Version : First Tank Break In Fuel Mileage

Delta
03-13-2016, 04:29 PM
202 miles and she took 5.2 gallons. I'm happy with that. When my low fuel light came on the gas station was only a mile away. Seems I have a pretty large reserve, 1.6 gallons?? What's your experience been.

coffee_weasle
03-13-2016, 05:30 PM
yep, 1.6 gallons sounds right for mine also

stroguy
03-13-2016, 05:31 PM
About 240 max around town, 260 on the highway and I'm pushing it.

shooter
03-13-2016, 07:47 PM
Thats good mileage for a first tank. When I ride normal I'm usually around 42 mpg. When I ride with a bunch of old guys like Stro I can get up to 44 or 45. When I ride hard chasing my son on his ZX14 I go down to the mid to upper 30's. I think the B delivers great mileage for a big bike.

Delta
03-13-2016, 08:18 PM
So far everything about the 6 impresses me. The fuel mileage will only bet better after it gets broken in. I keep thinking about the little things this bike does so well, like absolutely no fork dive when braking.

VStarRider
03-14-2016, 05:43 AM
I noticed last fall, and just yesterday on a short ride, that with 1400 miles on mine, the shifting action has gotten a lot smoother. What a bast#^& that shifter was for the first 1000 miles.

seadog
03-14-2016, 06:00 AM
I noticed last fall, and just yesterday on a short ride, that with 1400 miles on mine, the shifting action has gotten a lot smoother. What a bast#^& that shifter was for the first 1000 miles.

What oil your using makes a difference in how it shifts also, going full synthetic in mine has smoothed out the shifter more than the stock oil I was running.

jm21ddd15
03-14-2016, 07:15 AM
So far everything about the 6 impresses me. The fuel mileage will only bet better after it gets broken in. I keep thinking about the little things this bike does so well, like absolutely no fork dive when braking.
That may be true, that your bike may get better mileage when the motor gets broke in, BUT, as you get more familiar with the power of the motor and the way the 6 handles, you'll most likely be hammering the throttle more often, which won't help your mileage. Anyway, you got a great bike. Enjoy the ride!

VStarRider
03-14-2016, 01:06 PM
What oil your using makes a difference in how it shifts also, going full synthetic in mine has smoothed out the shifter more than the stock oil I was running.

I am using the Honda brand recommended oil. I have read on here that synthetic makes the shifting smoother. I may have to switch at the next oil change.

I used Valvoline dino motorcycle oil on my VStar two oil changes ago. It made a mess of the shifting, so much so that I thought there was something wrong in the transmission. I switched back to Yamalube (non-synthetic) and the shifting is like butter.

seadog
03-14-2016, 02:09 PM
I am using the Honda brand recommended oil. I have read on here that synthetic makes the shifting smoother. I may have to switch at the next oil change.

I used Valvoline dino motorcycle oil on my VStar two oil changes ago. It made a mess of the shifting, so much so that I thought there was something wrong in the transmission. I switched back to Yamalube (non-synthetic) and the shifting is like butter.

I used Castrol Actevo 10W40 in my M109R Suzuki Boulevard and that did wonders for the shifting. Its a semi synthetic which is part regular petroleum based oil mixed with a synthetic, its excellent oil and never had any problems with it in the M109R and I always rode that bike like I stole it. 35000 miles when I sold it and bought the F6B and it still wasn't using any oil.