PDA

View Full Version : Darkside - Reality hits the road!

Fla_rider
03-14-2016, 08:11 AM
Ok- I been on this forum and seen all the post. I know plenty of you use darksided tires. I was wondering if it is worth it. I don't hear many of you talk about the amount of miles your getting between changes. I am on my second set of stones. I have 25k on my bike these stones went on at 14k. I'm thinking these wil do better so I may make it to 30k. Average 15k per set of stones, ain't so bad. So why should I switch to Darkside the back tire? Basically, is it worth it? It's not worth it unless it saves me significantly. Meaning not changing the tire every 30k. Just a little savings is not going to do it. I'd rather just stick with the stones. Let's see the figures, not opinions. Hard facts.

dickiedeals
03-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Ok- I been on this forum and seen all the post. I know plenty of you use darksided tires. I was wondering if it is worth it. I don't hear many of you talk about the amount of miles your getting between changes. I am on my second set of stones. I have 25k on my bike these stones went on at 14k. I'm thinking these wil do better so I may make it to 30k. Average 15k per set of stones, ain't so bad. So why should I switch to Darkside the back tire? Basically, is it worth it? It's not worth it unless it saves me significantly. Meaning not changing the tire every 30k. Just a little savings is not going to do it. I'd rather just stick with the stones. Let's see the figures, not opinions. Hard facts.
I'm at 30k on my second Stones debating the same thing. Share some numbers guys..........................Dickie

Wing'n it
03-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Some bike tires do last longer than others, but I only got 4k on my new bike rear and it's flat across the tread. I don't really want to be installing tires every 8-10k on my bike. On my 02 Goldwing I ran a CT for over 14k and it still looked like new when I sold the bike but I still went through one front tire. I'm now darkside on my 15 F6.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-14-2016, 08:57 AM
I did not go to a CT for the added mileage, I had other reasons. BUT I am at roughly 13,500 mi and the CT shows little wear.

Hornblower
03-14-2016, 09:23 AM
I did not go to a CT for the added mileage, I had other reasons. BUT I am at roughly 13,500 mi and the CT shows little wear.

+1 on the reasoning. I have grown to prefer the handling and grip of my CT's. Of course, tire cost being about half that of a MC tire is attractive and I do get longer life but those are secondary reasons for me.

bob109
03-14-2016, 09:36 AM
30,300 mile from a General G-Max! I'm on my second one and have two more of the same on hand. At $90.00 a pop from Discount Tire Direct it's a bargin with no sales tax and free shipping:icon_wink:

stepbill
03-14-2016, 11:42 AM
+1 on the reasoning. I have grown to prefer the handling and grip of my CT's. Of course, tire cost being about half that of a MC tire is attractive and I do get longer life but those are secondary reasons for me.

In Western NC, there are roads that have the groves in them for winter weather. How does your CT track on those? That is the only thing holding me back from getting a CT as I don't like the sway of back and forth when going over them. This happened on my VTX 1300 as the groves in the tires are different than on the GL1800. When I last rode over there on the F6B, I had no sway and it tracked great with the MC tire as the tire pattern is different that the VTX.

Monk
03-14-2016, 08:40 PM

I don't run a CT for the savings. That is a benefit that I like, but it is not my primary reason.

My use of a CT is about safety.

I use a runflat which gives me a margin of safety I cannot get with a motorcycle tire. When I have a flat, I slow down and start looking for a safe place to stop to inspect the tire. I had this happen on New Years Day. I found a service station where I was able to plug the tire and continue my ride. Usually, if a motorcyle tire goes flat you are stuck on the side of the road where ever you managed to get it stopped.

Another safety factor is the additional grip a CT provides, especially in the rain. The Michelin Alpin can be hammered pretty good coming out of a turn on a wet road and it will hold. Sure helps put the mind a ease when caught out in the rain.

So, once again it is about safety and piece of mind for me. :yes:

shooter
03-14-2016, 08:57 PM
I agree with everything Monk said. One other thing is the margin of safety on the load rating. If you are a big guy its easy to exceed the rating on the MC tire. That 6.5 inch contact patch vs 2 inches is a no brainer. That Alpin is the bees knees.

3Chief
03-14-2016, 09:11 PM
My question on this is more where do you get the CT mounted on an MC rim?

Monk
03-14-2016, 09:18 PM

That can be a challenge ....

Some Wal Marts will do it.

If they hesitate I've heard of guys telling them it is for a specialty trailer and to mount the tire like it is on the left side. :icon_rolleyes:

Some shops that deal with nice rims will do it.

I'm fortunate, in that I have a local tire place that will do mine for $15.00. I carry the rim and tire in already off the bike.

Once you get it done the first time, it can be a little easier, because the rim already has a CT on it. :icon_lol:

Monk
03-14-2016, 09:22 PM
One other thing is the margin of safety on the load rating. If you are a big guy its easy to exceed the rating on the MC tire. That 6.5 inch contact patch vs 2 inches is a no brainer. That Alpin is the bees knees.

So true, several years ago when I first started down this path I looked up the load rating for all the tires made to fit the 1800. When I starting looking at the weight of the bike, my weight and packing stuff on the bike, it got kind of scary!! :shock:

The CT solved that problem!! :yes:

Patch
03-14-2016, 09:26 PM

None of the national chains will intentionally drop a CT on an MC rim that I'm aware of, but there are plenty of smaller wheel/tire shops that probably will. I was told by a co-worker that rides CT's on his Ultraglide he can sometimes get a place to mount and balance if he tells them it's being done for a trike setup. While I don't condone it, he can't do it himself.

Steve 0080
03-14-2016, 09:39 PM

Pep Boys...all day in FLA....

wjduke
03-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Run flat tires have limitations. I'll post the list I have at work tomorrow. What I mean by this is, some manufacturers don't even allow a repair. Others say it's ok to run soft, but not totally flat. This isn't a negative post....just more info that you guys should know.

Steve 0080
03-14-2016, 09:43 PM
I don't run a CT for the savings. That is a benefit that I like, but it is not my primary reason.

My use of a CT is about safety.

I use a runflat which gives me a margin of safety I cannot get with a motorcycle tire. When I have a flat, I slow down and start looking for a safe place to stop to inspect the tire. I had this happen on New Years Day. I found a service station where I was able to plug the tire and continue my ride. Usually, if a motorcyle tire goes flat you are stuck on the side of the road where ever you managed to get it stopped.

Another safety factor is the additional grip a CT provides, especially in the rain. The Michelin Alpin can be hammered pretty good coming out of a turn on a wet road and it will hold. Sure helps put the mind a ease when caught out in the rain.

So, once again it is about safety and piece of mind for me. :yes:

Me too... with a trailer on the back it is the added safety that made me make the call.....

wjduke
03-15-2016, 06:48 AM
For what it's worth. Seems that most of what you guys use isn't an issue, besides the Michelin permitting one repair.

Retired Army
03-15-2016, 08:57 AM
After reading several articles I understand the difference in rim construction between motorcycles and cars is a bigger factor than sidewall construction. I converted my F6B to a trike and run two car tires mounted on car rims.

Monk
03-15-2016, 09:17 AM
After reading several articles I understand the difference in rim construction between motorcycles and cars is a bigger factor than sidewall construction. I converted my F6B to a trike and run two car tires mounted on car rims.

That was another big concern for me back when I started looking into this.

One thing I found was that the Goldwing/F6B rim is a little different animal than what I would call a standard motorcycle rim. But still it was a big concern in my book.

So, I spent some time talking with the guy that was changing the tires for me. I ask him point blank, should I be concerned about the tire not seating properly to the rim and/or should I be concerned about the tire coming off the rim? His reply "I have a devil of a time getting that tire off on purpose, there ain't no way it is coming off by accident!" :icon_lol:

shooter
03-15-2016, 09:37 AM
I have a tire shop and I do all my own tire work on the B and my 109. The CT seats just fine on the motorcycle rim.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Re: bead and sidewalls ......Think of it this way…

Picture you in your car as you are driving. Now picture your right front tire as your hard in a left turn. That tire is trying to hold traction as the weight of your 3500lb car is pushing towards the outside of the turn. If you turn too fast your tires will break traction and the car will slide, correct ????
Now picture what is really going on there. That tire is putting incredible stress on the sidewall and bead to keep the tire from rolling off,, or under the rim.
A motorcycle tire in that same left turn has completely different effect. The weight of the motorcycle is pushing down on the tire at the same angle the motorcycle is leaned at. The outside bead is NOT taking the same stress that your 3500lb car puts on that same tire in the same turn.

Maybe I am totally off here and the real experts can shed a bit more light on the subject but this is what my experience and research showed me when I was looking into Car tires years ago…