PDA

View Full Version : If you had to do it all over again knowing........

RLj
08-22-2013, 08:42 PM
If you had to do it all over again knowing........the paint issue, would you have made the purchase?

As mentioned in an earlier post when I first joined a few weeks back, I'm looking at picking up a F6B sometime in the near future, this paint issue has me a little concerned. I'm not sure if I should wait until the paint issue is resolved or not........and who knows if it ever will.

Thanks,

chipmaker
08-22-2013, 08:51 PM
I would do it again, maybe ride out and get one of the custom painted ones. I don't think anything will be done about the paint...

MichaelG
08-22-2013, 09:33 PM
I would do it again, but agree with Chipmaker...would possibly fly out to Russellville, and buy one of their custom painted bikes.
Either that...or buy a used 2005 Wing, with ABS. I owned a 2003...a 2004...and a 2006, so I need to fill the gap of the missing year.

Also, and this is important to ME, and possibly to others....IF someone that WAS planning on buying an F6B...is NOW thinking of changing their mind BECAUSE of the BAD PAINT issue....you would be doing all of us that have bad paint a big favor by communicating that IN WRITING to American Honda, so they get a voice from a potential buyer, and see that they lost a sale.:icon_frown:

FlyinF
08-22-2013, 09:35 PM
How many F6B's have been sold....................several thousand? How many complaints on bad paint...............a couple dozen or so? I have a black standard and the paint is fine. Life is too short why wait?
Check the net and you will see folks have been complaining about Honda paint on their cars/vans since the late '90's and Honda basically did nothing for these hundred of thousand vehicles. Times have changed, manufacturers must comply with new paint procedures for the environment...............the results are what you see and read about, they will never go back to the good "hard" paint of the past.

bobbyf6b
08-22-2013, 09:44 PM
I bought it for the bike, not the paint, so I would buy again. I think I would go for the custom paint option too, since now I know about it.

MichaelG
08-22-2013, 09:45 PM
How many F6B's have been sold....................several thousand? How many complaints on bad paint...............a couple dozen or so? I have a black standard and the paint is fine. Life is too short why wait?
Check the net and you will see folks have been complaining about Honda paint on their cars/vans since the late '90's and Honda basically did nothing for these hundred of thousand vehicles. Times have changed, manufacturers must comply with new paint procedures for the environment...............the results are what you see and read about, they will never go back to the good "hard" paint of the past.

FlyinF...you may be right, and I hope for your sake that you are. I sincerely hope that the paint on YOUR F6B never shows the signs of what a couple HUNDRED of our bikes have shown. Not just a couple dozen...but a couple hundred bikes.

Now, I can only speak from my own experience, which is all that any of us can do, but I know for a fact that my 2003 Wing, my 2004 Wing, and my 2006 Wing all had paint that was as close to perfect as could be done. All of those bikes, with mega mileage on them, looked better than this F6B. The paint on the 2003 Wing, with over 100,000 miles on it in ONE year, and several trips top Alaska, looked better than this bike that has 12,000 miles on it.

All of those bikes were manufactured and painted in Marysville, Ohio, and I never once had a complaint about the paint, but all of them also had a clear coat on top of the painted color.'

Botton line to me is...I am going to keep my F6B. I am going to ride the heck out of it. And if the ultimate decision by Honda is that they will not pay to repaint my bike...either by them, or by an outside source, then...I will pay for it myself. I am not going to allow the bad paint to ruin my riding of the bike.

But, I do know the difference between right and wrong, and the truth, and a lie. Honda is wrong...and they are lying to us.

FlyinF
08-22-2013, 10:04 PM
I bought my F6 at Honda of Russellville..........I wish I would have bought the custom paint job, not because of the paint but because I'm going to keep this bike for a long time and should have gotten something unique for the long run.
I'm not a computer dude and not very savvy on deep searches, but I searched for Honda F6B paint issues and only found complaints on F6's forums............either way, hundreds or dozens yes it is sad how times have changed at the cost of the consumer.
I am lucky my bike turned out ok and yes I would not be happy if my paint was not up to new vehicle standards.

Steve 0080
08-22-2013, 11:00 PM
I also would buy this bike again....maybe with a caveat about the paint at the time of purchase...but would still buy....I will repaint the bike after a period of time...I am very loyal to friends and equipment that is good to me...so this bike will have a home for some time...

Darkknight
08-23-2013, 03:43 AM
Yep, I'd buy it again. If the paint starts to be irritating to look at I'll have it painted.

jkelley
08-23-2013, 04:47 AM
I bought mine knowing the paint was going to be an issue from this forum, and others that I had read complaints on the newer GW's paint.
Painting the bike to me is not a major issue, but I do feel Honda is doing a disservice to the brand and it's customers. The bigger issue to me is missing the cruise control I had grown used to. I really miss that more than I thought I would. Other than that the bike is a fine machine.

RLj
08-23-2013, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the paint issue is a real pain in the ass and disappointment to deal with but the bike itself overcomes the issue.

Cleaver1
08-23-2013, 06:56 AM
I have a Black deluxe serial # 942 and have no paint issue. Just ready to turn over 8000 miles, so it has been washed a bunch, just recently put a coat of liquid glass on it. Only has the "hesitation" if I take off without letting it warm up. Once it has warmed up it runs fine the rest of the day. Some of the polls that were taken have very few people in the survey, the paint issue has 42 responses. It may be I am lucky, because my gas mileage is above average according to the poll. On a trip to Columbus OH from central MI I averaged 40mpg going down at 79-80 miles per hour. Coming back I took two lane roads and averaged 45mpg riding two up, speeds 60 -65. I would definitely purchase again.

edgeman55
08-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Knowing what I know now the only thing I would have done different is I would have bought a F6B from Russelville Honda under there custom paint program.But even with all the extra polishing it takes to keep my Black beauty scatch and swirl free I would not give up this bike.By far in 45 years of riding this is the most fun and enjoyable scooter I have ever owned.Great handling,Great brakes,gets a steady 42 mpg and fits my 6'5" stealth like 370lb body well.Once I get a paint job done right I will have in my eyes the perfect bike.:icon_biggrin:

Texas TC
08-23-2013, 12:36 PM
I would absolutely buy the F6B again. I think the black is the best looking version but am glad I bought red. I have not had as near as many paint issues as you guys that bought the really pretty black bikes. My paint is soft but I have not had many problems with paint swirls or scratches. BEST MOTORCYCLE I HAVE OWNED IN MY 50 YEARS OF RIDING. It is just so much fun to ride!

bob109
08-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Penned this thread two months ago and what was written then still applies!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?566-Three-Months-Into-The-F6B

Other than the "soft paint issue" we have a "World Class Machine".:icon_biggrin:

yellowskeeter1
08-23-2013, 01:26 PM
I knew, and I did!

Hornblower
08-23-2013, 02:49 PM
The F6B is so good overall that it negates any other negatives, including the sub-standard paint. That said, I have to admit I was blind-sided by the paint issue, never imagining Honda would cut corners to this extent. Like some others have mentioned, I will probably repaint in the future if I don't sell it for something else. It does concern me that my resell value will most likely suffer due to continuing degradation of the finish over time. Honda should put out an immediate recall but I'm not expecting that to happen. In the meantime, I'm trying not to obsess over this and just enjoy riding a truly remarkable machine.

fsixb_AZ
08-24-2013, 10:57 AM
I knew nothing about the paint issues when I went to the Dealer, as I was considering the VFR initially, but when I got to the showroom and saw the F6B I knew that was my next bike. I've never been a fan of black vehicles, too hard to keep looking nice, never owned one, and am happy I chose the red, had white been a color choice that would have been my top choice. My paint seems to be fine, but I have not washed it yet either. This is the best street bike I've ever owned, but then again it is by far the most expensive, if I have to repaint it down the road, white it shall be :icon_wink: I am disappointed that Honda has not stepped up and made it right for those who do have the paint problem. I've always considered Honda to be a quality manufacturer after owning a few of their cars, so I had no reservations about my purchase.

MSGT-R
08-24-2013, 01:29 PM
I have both the VFR and the F6B and I have no problems with paint.
I do the usual buildup of paint cleaner / show car glaze / carnuba and it comes out fine.
Anything that gets dusty and you rub your leg against it during a day's ride is going to dull the paint. Keep it dusted to keep scratching to a minimum. You can get clear protector sheet too.