PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Dealer Experience

busflyer
03-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Not sure what the rules are on calling dealerships out. On the last board I was on it was not allowed, so I will refrain from naming names. I have had the worst experience in a while at the dealership where I purchased my F6B.

1) Went in and was quoted a price. I told the salesman that I would pay $xxx for the bike plus grips, pax floorboards, and pax backrest w/ rack installed and 2 helmets. The salesman left to do his thing. I picked out the items above (supposedly all Hondaline parts -- more on that later). Next thing I know, I'm in with the finance guy to sell me the items like extended warranty, etc. Then I get the paperwork. I've signed about 3 of the many documents when the official bill of sale comes. I notice that the price is $xxx PLUS $1800. No negotiation before this at all. If I had not noticed this at this point, I would have been obliged to pay they're $1800 mark-up. We had a very long discussion about this and I walked. About an hour later, I got a call from the dealership and they would meet my price +$300. I wasn't happy with this but agreed. Went back and purchased the bike. Had a GREAT week riding and loving the new ride.

2) Went back to have the accessories installed. The grips that were ordered were the wrong grips, the rack had not arrived, and somehow the pax floorboards missed the final paperwork. Initially I was called back to look at the grips and make a decision. They had some nice Kury's in stock for less money. The parts manger said he would issue me a parts credit and I told him not to worry about it because that was part of the purchase anyway. Then I found out from the salesman that the floorboards did not make the final invoice. We went back and forth over the floorboards but since I missed it on the invoice (even though it was there initially and the salesman, the parts manager, and the service manager ALL remember this discussion taking place, I would be responsible to pay for the floorboards (however, they would be kind enough to cover the install).

They would have lost $120 at most on the boards. Now they have lost ALL of my business as well as anyone else I can steer away from the place.

The only good thing out of this is that I LOVE the bike. The best or at least one of the best I have ever owned. There are other dealerships in the area and my business will go there. (NOTE: if one of the moderators answers about naming names, I will -- I just don't want to get thrown off after a couple of posts)

Thanks for letting me rant,

Blaine.

coffee_weasle
03-15-2016, 03:50 PM
i'd call the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU !

sounds like used car lot tactics

willtill
03-15-2016, 05:24 PM
They don't call the "Stealerships" for nothing....

opas ride
03-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Not sure what the rules are on calling dealerships out. On the last board I was on it was not allowed, so I will refrain from naming names. I have had the worst experience in a while at the dealership where I purchased my F6B.

1) Went in and was quoted a price. I told the salesman that I would pay $xxx for the bike plus grips, pax floorboards, and pax backrest w/ rack installed and 2 helmets. The salesman left to do his thing. I picked out the items above (supposedly all Hondaline parts -- more on that later). Next thing I know, I'm in with the finance guy to sell me the items like extended warranty, etc. Then I get the paperwork. I've signed about 3 of the many documents when the official bill of sale comes. I notice that the price is $xxx PLUS $1800. No negotiation before this at all. If I had not noticed this at this point, I would have been obliged to pay they're $1800 mark-up. We had a very long discussion about this and I walked. About an hour later, I got a call from the dealership and they would meet my price +$300. I wasn't happy with this but agreed. Went back and purchased the bike. Had a GREAT week riding and loving the new ride.

2) Went back to have the accessories installed. The grips that were ordered were the wrong grips, the rack had not arrived, and somehow the pax floorboards missed the final paperwork. Initially I was called back to look at the grips and make a decision. They had some nice Kury's in stock for less money. The parts manger said he would issue me a parts credit and I told him not to worry about it because that was part of the purchase anyway. Then I found out from the salesman that the floorboards did not make the final invoice. We went back and forth over the floorboards but since I missed it on the invoice (even though it was there initially and the salesman, the parts manager, and the service manager ALL remember this discussion taking place, I would be responsible to pay for the floorboards (however, they would be kind enough to cover the install).

They would have lost $120 at most on the boards. Now they have lost ALL of my business as well as anyone else I can steer away from the place.

The only good thing out of this is that I LOVE the bike. The best or at lest one of the best I have ever owned. There are other dealerships in the area and my business will go there. (NOTE: if one of the moderators answers about naming names, I will -- I just don't want to get thrown off after a couple of posts)

Thanks for letting me rant,

Blaine.

I don't know about the policy for identifying dealerships on this board, but someone should name this place and have it checked out...I have had two similar experiences at multi-line dealers in the past and will NEVER go back to them...My F6B was purchased at a Honda only dealer and everything was up-front at the closing, although the finance guy tried to get more from me with extended warranty costs, which I politely declined....After I retired from Ford I sold bikes at a local dealership for a year or so and finally quit as most of their deals were corrupt and "rigged" with extremely high finance costs and "shady" practices....Found out a few months later that the "so-called" finance manager was making over six figures selling bad deals and warranties for his own profit........Ain't life grand with these dealers!!!

VStarRider
03-15-2016, 06:33 PM
That's unfortunate. Unfortunately, it is a part of the sales business at times, which is why I could never work in sales. I would get fired within two weeks for giving away the store.

The worst thing that has happened to me at dealer happened about ten years ago, when a sales manager threw the keys to my trade in at me and told me to shove my calculator up my arse. This happened after I bargained them pretty hard on the price of a used vehicle, then they low-balled me on the trade-in and I squelched the deal.

shooter
03-15-2016, 07:21 PM
I named my dealership when they tried to put the screws to me on the recall.

busflyer
03-15-2016, 07:26 PM
This was a Honda only dealership. To be clear, I am not upset with the price -- heck, I would not have even been upset with a true negotiation. However, that did not happen and the seeming underhandedness in the way I was treated really got my dander up. But no fear, there are at least 2 more dealerships within 25 minutes from here. They will be getting all of my business for parts and service (as well as any future bike purchases).

Blaine.

busflyer
03-15-2016, 07:30 PM
I named my dealership when they tried to put the screws to me on the recall.

Fair enough, it is RC Hill Honda in Deland, FL. A relatively new dealership. I was trying to stay local to support the local economy etc. etc.

stroguy
03-15-2016, 07:56 PM
They are welcome to join this forum and defend themselves. Hang em out to dry I say.

shooter
03-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Fair enough, it is RC Hill Honda in Deland, FL. A relatively new dealership. I was trying to stay local to support the local economy etc. etc.

Buddy it doesn't always work. Its admirable to try though. They may get it together. Tell them about it. They won't learn with out criticism. I would write a letter.

Ridlikhel
03-15-2016, 09:36 PM
If it's not in writing, it doesn't mean a thing.

Steve 0080
03-15-2016, 11:42 PM
Nothing wrong with kicking a dealership or item purchased...all we ask is that you give the business a chance to fix the issue before coming on here
and kicking them for the joy of it. I would have compared the prices in Deland and Sanford and then made a decision but that is me. It is hard
to tell if you are getting a great/good deal if there is nothing to compare with.

* For me there is no better dealership I have used than Sanford Power Sports.

GaTeach
03-16-2016, 06:33 AM
I'm so fortunate! I love my dealer. Cycle World in Athens GA!!!! They are one of the few HD dealerships that sells Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki

shooter
03-16-2016, 06:39 AM
And you know guys , as Teach expressed , if you have a good dealer , share the info. That way others can have the same experience and help a good dealership prosper.

Nightwing_67
03-16-2016, 07:10 AM
And you know guys , as Teach expressed , if you have a good dealer , share the info. That way others can have the same experience and help a good dealership prosper.

Well in that case...lol....
Mavrixs Motorsport
21 Dunning Rd
Middletown NY
Awesome place, Friendly staff, from sales to service...i dealt with them with my previous non honda bike, which led me to buy my F6B there and had an awesome experience. The sales person (Dawn:shhh:) took pictures of my F6B from the crate through the building and finished beauty....it actually made me part of the whole journey...anyway if ever in the area, stop by.

GaTeach
03-16-2016, 10:42 AM

There are plenty of people who hate Cycle World. My BFF thinks they are ambassadors for the devil.

I love them. Very good to me. And the guy that runs there promotions is a vet and they do so many good things for our local veterans. Tons of benefit rides and they always donate. We had a PGR sister die last year and CW gave me $100 to buy fried chicken for her funeral. Just good people.

And they know I"m the anti-Harley, so they got a big kick out of sending me home on a POS HD when I was having my recall work done. Jokers.

stroguy
03-16-2016, 11:18 AM
While I sit at the USPS station here at 11:15 waiting for my 10:45 passport appointment I think of this thread.

53driver
03-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Well, "Pensacola Motorsports" is going to get the chance to impress me.
My parts are in (yes, F6B this time).
I am going to have them flush the front brakes and clutch fluid as well.
At 17,000 miles we are going to skip the air cleaner replacement until 24k.
Also getting new shoes. Probably staying with Bridgestones. At 17k, they still look pretty good, although they are "squaring" a bit from the long hauls.

Contemplating DS, but as someone on this board quipped: "You can put work boots on a ballerina, and they'll last longer, but the girl's performance won't be the same."
And that rung true with me.
Cheers!

shooter
03-16-2016, 01:06 PM
I bet that was Scotrod that said that 53.

busflyer
03-16-2016, 01:19 PM
Nothing wrong with kicking a dealership or item purchased...all we ask is that you give the business a chance to fix the issue before coming on here
and kicking them for the joy of it. I would have compared the prices in Deland and Sanford and then made a decision but that is me. It is hard
to tell if you are getting a great/good deal if there is nothing to compare with.

* For me there is no better dealership I have used than Sanford Power Sports.

That's my next stop. Will be at their shop probably Monday to get some stuff for the wife. Thanks for the recommendation.

Blaine.

seadog
03-16-2016, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't send my worst enemy to the dealership I bought my bike from, for mechanics that are suppose to be certified Honda Mechanics, they surely didn't act like they had any training at all. I will put there name down as the worst I have ever experience: Babbitt's, Muskegon, Michigan. My new dealer said, they have heard horror stories coming out of that shop and I have first hand knowledge of their expertise.

3Chief
03-16-2016, 05:06 PM
I bought my B at North County House of Motorcycles and had a good experience. They did the first service also with no issues. Back home I'll have to find a place if I need dealer work.

VStarRider
03-16-2016, 06:50 PM
Hollink Motor Sports in Spencerport, NY. So far, so good. My biggest complaint is that they do not allow test rides. No need to bargain because they give an out-the-door price that is competitive. Was willing to pick up and drop off bike in enclosed trailer to do brake recall if needed.

CopperMike
03-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience. Anymore, it seems you have to cover your bases with social media. Or, at least, you get better results than Better Business Bureau. Just my two cents.

seadog
03-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience. Anymore, it seems you have to cover your bases with social media. Or, at least, you get better results than Better Business Bureau. Just my two cents.

I have also seen God standing by the road shaking his finger at me for the triple digits showing on my speedo, that M109R Suzuki I used to have was a very bad influence. Prefer the big touring bike now for comfort and the distance I am able to ride.

GaTeach
03-17-2016, 06:33 AM
I have also seen God standing by the road shaking his finger at me for the triple digits showing on my speedo, that M109R Suzuki I used to have was a very bad influence. Prefer the big touring bike now for comfort and the distance I am able to ride.

You need to get a god with a better sense of adventure.

shooter
03-17-2016, 06:43 AM
When I see God and I'm doing triple digits , he merely tells me to not fly faster than my wings. What can I say , I have a fast wing.

Dave Ritsema
03-17-2016, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't send my worst enemy to the dealership I bought my bike from, for mechanics that are suppose to be certified Honda Mechanics, they surely didn't act like they had any training at all. I will put there name down as the worst I have ever experience: Babbitt's, Muskegon, Michigan. My new dealer said, they have heard horror stories coming out of that shop and I have first hand knowledge of their expertise.

I would send my worst enemy AND my best friend to my dealer because they are awesome! Lake City Honda in Warsaw IN.

After reading some of the experiences here I realize how blessed I am to have a really great dealer that I trust 100%.:biggthumpup:

GaTeach
03-17-2016, 09:37 AM
When I see God and I'm doing triple digits , he merely tells me to not fly faster than my wings. What can I say , I have a fast wing.

Ya! I ain't worshippin' no slowpoke god.

seadog
03-17-2016, 10:14 AM
You need to get a god with a better sense of adventure.

I still shoot up there from time to time but just don't make it a habit anymore. I am enjoying the retirement that the Lord is letting me have. I don't complain about my age cause there have been too many that never made it here and if I had kept the M109R I wouldn't have made it here either. I wasn't scared of the top end on the bike. I have just rethought my the way to enjoying all these years left to me.

wjduke
03-17-2016, 10:31 AM
I still shoot up there from time to time but just don't make it a habit anymore. I am enjoying the retirement that the Lord is letting me have. I don't complain about my age cause there have been too many that never made it here and if I had kept the M109R I wouldn't have made it here either. I wasn't scared of the top end on the bike. I have just rethought my the way to enjoying all these years left to me.

We have a lot in common in respect to riding and bikes. I'm not retired yet and don't have the disposable income you have, but otherwise....:clap2: !

seadog
03-17-2016, 11:30 AM
We have a lot in common in respect to riding and bikes. I'm not retired yet and don't have the disposable income you have, but otherwise....:clap2: !

You think Obama is making me rich! I am not an illegal alien that gets all my stuff for free! But I am just waiting until these moron in Washington bury all of us and then watch the rats leaving the sinking ship!

wjduke
03-17-2016, 12:38 PM
You think Obama is making me rich! I am not an illegal alien that gets all my stuff for free! But I am just waiting until these moron in Washington bury all of us and then watch the rats leaving the sinking ship!
I guess I used the wrong icon...it was a joke! Our philosophy on riding is the same with the same bike in our past.

I'm not for Bernie Sanders. I work my ass off everyday dealing with aholes and I'm not jealous of what you have or do. I never got a hand out in my life either.

I hope you're not as pissed off as this looks...didn't mean to rile feathers.

CopperMike
03-17-2016, 03:38 PM

My reason for getting rid of my GSXR 1000. When I quit being afraid of it, I realized it was time for a change.

TailGunner
03-18-2016, 10:18 AM
I am curious, when you gave him your price, was that out the door price? Maybe its done differently but in Calif. we always give OTD price so there is no confusion

busflyer
03-18-2016, 10:26 AM
I am curious, when you gave him your price, was that out the door price? Maybe its done differently but in Calif. we always give OTD price so there is no confusion

Yes. I specially said this is the price with add ons, tax, tag, title, and all dealer fees.

TailGunner
03-18-2016, 10:58 AM
Yes. I specially said this is the price with add ons, tax, tag, title, and all dealer fees.
So was the 1800.00 just tacked on?
What was the reason you decided to go with this dealer. The reason i'm asking is I have a few dealers around me but I try and stay local, this dealer did work with you albeit through the back door. I would give them one more chance unless the oreason to them was pricing.

busflyer
03-18-2016, 11:36 AM
So was the 1800.00 just tacked on?
What was the reason you decided to go with this dealer. The reason i'm asking is I have a few dealers around me but I try and stay local, this dealer did work with you albeit through the back door. I would give them one more chance unless the oreason to them was pricing.

Yep, the $1800 was just tacked on. The reasoning was they couldn't meet my price. My concern is not with the price they presented. It is in the presentation. I was in the process of signing all of the paperwork when I noticed the difference on the bill of sale. I was the one that had to ask. If I hadn't noticed, I would be $1800 poorer. Only when I asked, did the finance guy tell me they couldn't meet my price.

The main reason I will not go back is the further insult by not honoring the inclusion of the floorboards and installation. While this was not in the final contract, it was in the initial one and agreed on by the sales guy, parts guy and service guy AND part of all of the discussions. While I agree that this oversight was my fault for not noticing this (I was more concerned with another price problem), there is a huge difference in what is legally right and what is morally/ethically right.

TailGunner
03-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Yep, the $1800 was just tacked on. The reasoning was they couldn't meet my price. My concern is not with the price they presented. It is in the presentation. I was in the process of signing all of the paperwork when I noticed the difference on the bill of sale. I was the one that had to ask. If I hadn't noticed, I would be $1800 poorer. Only when I asked, did the finance guy tell me they couldn't meet my price.

The main reason I will not go back is the further insult by not honoring the inclusion of the floorboards and installation. While this was not in the final contract, it was in the initial one and agreed on by the sales guy, parts guy and service guy AND part of all of the discussions. While I agree that this oversight was my fault for not noticing this (I was more concerned with another price problem), there is a huge difference in what is legally right and what is morally/ethically right.

Good catch, I am really surprised that a dealer would even try that in todays competive business atmosphere

unsub
03-19-2016, 03:15 PM
This was a Honda only dealership. To be clear, I am not upset with the price -- heck, I would not have even been upset with a true negotiation. However, that did not happen and the seeming underhandedness in the way I was treated really got my dander up. But no fear, there are at least 2 more dealerships within 25 minutes from here. They will be getting all of my business for parts and service (as well as any future bike purchases).

Blaine.

You can always report them to Honda Corporate Offices.
Not saying it'll happen but you might get a refund from the dealer if the transaction was not legitimate.

http://powersports.honda.com/contact.aspx

Customer Service

How do I contact Honda Motorcycle Customer Support?
For customer or product related questions or comments you can contact Honda Motorcycle Customer Support by telephone at 866-784-1870, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30 PST. Please have your Vehicle Identification Number or Hull Identification Number ready when calling. Or by mail at: Honda Motorcycle Customer Support, P.O. Box 2200, Torrance, CA 90501.