PDA

View Full Version : Your state's registration fee

VStarRider
03-15-2016, 06:38 PM
Here in NYS it is $17.50 for a year, due every April. Just curious what others pay.

Oh yeah, safety inspection once per year for $6.

jm21ddd15
03-15-2016, 06:53 PM
$23.00 per cycle, per year, here in Wisconsin. We all know the government has to get their share. Wisconsin registration used to be good for 2 years, but the government knew that bikers would pay each year, rather than park the bikes. Sucks for us! :icon_evil:

wjduke
03-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Massachusetts...aka Taxachusetts...registration $20.00 per year Jan 1 - Dec 31

Inspection $15.00 per year, by the end of May.

This is relatively inexpensive compared to other things here.

tinknocker
03-15-2016, 07:57 PM
Just paid 30 bucks in Ohio

Patch
03-15-2016, 08:19 PM
This URL gives a complete listing for every state if you are looking for one in particular...

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/registration-and-title-fees-by-state.aspx

wjduke
03-15-2016, 09:00 PM
This URL gives a complete listing for every state if you are looking for one in particular...

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/registration-and-title-fees-by-state.aspx

Wow, some of you guys are really getting the shaft. I thought it was bad here.

ShanghaiDan
03-15-2016, 09:13 PM
Just re-registered my CTX700, and it was $132. For one year. Yeah, I pay in 1 month what some of you are paying for the year. But then again, California makes up for it with the highest gas prices in the US!

six2go
03-15-2016, 09:13 PM
These are my fees which are payable when I get my plates each year:
Excise Tax----156.00
Wheel Surtax 20.00
Reg. Fee------- 26.35
______

The excise tax drops about $12 per yr until the vehicle is 10 yrs. old

Greg O
03-15-2016, 09:25 PM
Here in Illinois it is $41.00

BEIST
03-16-2016, 03:28 AM
$18 bucks in PA for registration and then another $40 for the State inspection once a year.

willtill
03-16-2016, 05:21 AM
Wow, some of you guys are really getting the shaft. I thought it was bad here.

Yea, Maryland is good about that. They stick it in far and deep. Can't wait to leave this state and emigrate to free America. :rant:

Doug44
03-16-2016, 05:52 AM
Here in Illinois it is $41.00

+ $10 for a vanity plate each year = $51 in IL not to mention the $65 fee to secure the vanity plate initially.

imported_PA_F6Ber
03-16-2016, 09:55 AM
$18 bucks in PA for registration and then another $40 for the State inspection once a year.

In certain counties in PA it's $18 for the state plus $5 for the county. Yearly state inspections range from $30 to $40.

Carl

zzh54
03-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Where I am in NY I pay 42.50 for the reg and 6 bucks for inspection. My friends on the other side of the Hudson River pay the 17 dollar plush inspection. I fall under the MTA as we have Metro North train station.

ths61
03-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Just re-registered my CTX700, and it was $132. For one year. Yeah, I pay in 1 month what some of you are paying for the year. But then again, California makes up for it with the highest gas prices in the US!

The PRK has a large K-Y portfolio. :shock::shock::shock:

powercruzer13
03-16-2016, 06:14 PM
I think it's about $28 or so tag fee every year. No inspection, no helmet required if you are over 21 & have adequate insurance. 3891

adventurous1
03-16-2016, 06:50 PM
These are my fees which are payable when I get my plates each year:
Excise Tax----156.00
Wheel Surtax 20.00
Reg. Fee------- 26.35
______

The excise tax drops about $12 per yr until the vehicle is 10 yrs. old

FYI, those 3 are ALL an 'excise tax'. Excise tax = privilege tax.

btw, most Citizens (along w/ their gov't workers) unfortunately do not know the difference between 'motor vehicle' and a car or automobile or a modern mode of conveyance Nor the difference between 'traffic' , 'passenger' and traveler. And, unfortunately, most Citizens do not realize that you DO NOT need a Soc Sec # to work in America as well. Didn't believe it myself until I wrote the SS Admin back in 2002. Their response letter clearly states in the 2nd paragraph, the Soc Sec Act DOES NOT require a number to work and live in America. Haven't used my SSN to work since then. Side benefit is that a SSN is also a 'tax ID #'; thus if you work w/o a TAX ID #, you are not liable for Subtitle A 'Income Tax', nor liable for for Subtitle C "Employment Tax'. Thus, for the last 14 I've keep 100 % of my compensation for labor.

willtill
03-16-2016, 07:40 PM
FYI, those 3 are ALL an 'excise tax'. Excise tax = privilege tax.

btw, most Citizens (along w/ their gov't workers) unfortunately do not know the difference between 'motor vehicle' and a car or automobile or a modern mode of conveyance Nor the difference between 'traffic' , 'passenger' and traveler. And, unfortunately, most Citizens do not realize that you DO NOT need a Soc Sec # to work in America as well. Didn't believe it myself until I wrote the SS Admin back in 2002. Their response letter clearly states in the 2nd paragraph, the Soc Sec Act DOES NOT require a number to work and live in America. Haven't used my SSN to work since then. Side benefit is that a SSN is also a 'tax ID #'; thus if you work w/o a TAX ID #, you are not liable for Subtitle A 'Income Tax', nor liable for for Subtitle C "Employment Tax'. Thus, for the last 14 I've keep 100 % of my compensation for labor.

Really?

Got to be a catch. Or the black ATF helicopters and ATF agents just haven't tracked you down... through your non-existent SSN. :shhh:

:icon_wink:

Do you live on the beach and pan handle... per chance? :icon_mrgreen:

ths61
03-16-2016, 07:56 PM
Really?

Got to be a catch. Or the black ATF helicopters and ATF agents just haven't tracked you down... through your non-existent SSN. :shhh:

This guy tried something similar and won an expense paid vacation in the big house. He also got an ID/registration # 43355-018.

http://rsvpmagazine.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Wesley-Snipes-3.jpg

Richie
03-16-2016, 08:33 PM
Where I am in NY I pay 42.50 for the reg and 6 bucks for inspection. My friends on the other side of the Hudson River pay the 17 dollar plush inspection. I fall under the MTA as we have Metro North train station.

Hi there, i live on the other side of the Hudson in Walden NY. I also pay $42.50.

Maybe we can meet up some time.

Richie

adventurous1
03-16-2016, 10:42 PM
This guy tried something similar and won an expense paid vacation in the big house. He also got an ID/registration # 43355-018.

http://rsvpmagazine.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Wesley-Snipes-3.jpg

That's right - this dude used a tax payer ID (SSN), He's a subtitle A income tax payer. btw, they wanted him on 9 counts; however, believe he was only convicted of 3. He asked for $ back from the U.S. Treasury 3 times. On all the other 'failure to file' he was acquitted. lol The 3 counts where misdemeanors. One of the rare occasions a Citizen went to prison for committing a misdemeanor. Jay walking is a misdemeanor.

If you're taxpayer, lying on a 'return' is a felony. If a taxpayer does not file, it's only a misdemeanor.

adventurous1
03-16-2016, 11:00 PM
Really?

Nada, I actually read. Here's the SS admin letter for you.

Also here's the link to Taco Bell's Job application. Under Social Security Number, you'll see (optional). lol

http://www.mmsa.info/sites/default/files/Taco%20Bell%20Application.pdf

Also, here's the link to the fed gov't own website for an I-9 Form. It's actually 9 pages - not the 2 pages most HR people give their new hires. At the bottom of page one, it clearly reads providing a SSN is 'voluntary'.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-9.pdf

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. However, I'm able to save 30 to 40 % more of my 'compensation for labor' because I do not use a Fed Tax ID #. Thus, there's 'no income' to report to the Feds. It pisses off the company I work for HR / Accountant every time he issues me a check. lol

willtill
03-17-2016, 06:01 AM
Thanks for that. That is very interesting. Taxation is always a difficult subject to understand; this just makes it more surreal to me... I would think that most employers would balk at not deducting taxes from wages they pay out; and it would present a challenge to employee's that ask for that to be done; to the point of not being hired initially.

Though you remarked that Taco Bell was sued years ago for doing just that; I don't think that it's an idea that's going to catch on regarding the masses (employers and employee's alike). Too many folks would rather acquiesce in providing a SSN in exchange for employment; rather than to resign themselves to a legal battle in forcing an employer to hire them without it.

This is one aspect of my long term finances where I pretty much just suck it up and pay into the coffers of the state and federal government. i understand the advantage in keeping that portion of your compensation (taxes) for yourself; though you cut yourself out of any governmental benefits (social security compensation, medicare, etc) down the road and most folks need that towards the end of their lives.

Also there is the fact that we as an American society are a collective; and our safety, security and infrastructure depends on the ability of the government to provide; which has a monetary cost funded via taxation. While a lot of that money collected is seemingly pissed away by the politicians and bureaucrats; the very basis for revenue to be generated exists.

If we were a nation of freeloaders... we would cease to being a nation.

06Blackpearl
03-19-2016, 08:49 AM
65 for me in NJ

VStarRider
03-20-2016, 06:37 PM
That's right - this dude used a tax payer ID (SSN), He's a subtitle A income tax payer. btw, they wanted him on 9 counts; however, believe he was only convicted of 3. He asked for $ back from the U.S. Treasury 3 times. On all the other 'failure to file' he was acquitted. lol The 3 counts where misdemeanors. One of the rare occasions a Citizen went to prison for committing a misdemeanor. Jay walking is a misdemeanor.

If you're taxpayer, lying on a 'return' is a felony. If a taxpayer does not file, it's only a misdemeanor.

NPR's Planet Money podcast below profiled a guy who did this for years as well. You may find it interesting.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/02/19/467383708/episode-685-larry-vs-the-irs

FlyinF
03-20-2016, 07:07 PM
Just last week got my registration and inspection.....................61 for registration and 7.50 for inspection. It ain't cheap in Texas, you would think with all the resources they are getting out of the ground they would be kind to their citizens.

Amipro
03-20-2016, 07:48 PM

Registration in Nebraska is only $6 (not the $15 the the above URL indicates). However, with all of the additional taxes and fees, it cost me $290.50 to register my bike this year.

jaygollner
03-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Indiana 2013 Deluxe
$161.35

VStarRider
03-21-2016, 08:43 AM
NY is a high tax state, but I am starting to see how other states close the gap with lower taxes. Fees, fees, fees.

Motorcycle registration is $17.50
Boats are $46 for three years
ATVs are $12.50 per year (NY does not have a widespread trail system, though)
Snowmobiles are $45, with $40 going into a Trail Fund to pay for grooming equipment, trail work, etc.
Cars are roughly $50 for two years; trucks are heavier vehicles are higher.

However, the property taxes are $4500 on my $160,000 house and our sales tax rate is 8% (4% state, 4% county; some counties higher).

It takes a certain amount of $$ to run a state, schools, maintain and build roads, etc. States seem to have different ways of collecting that revenue, but in the end, the tax burden ends up being a lot closer than we are led to believe by our state leaders around the country.

woody
03-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Here in Queensland it is $443 for one year. That is rego and 3rd party insurance.

willtill
03-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Here in Queensland it is $443 for one year. That is rego and 3rd party insurance.

Wow !!! :yikes:

Is that a covert way for the goobermint down there to discourage motorcyclists, from riding motorcycles?

woody
03-23-2016, 07:38 PM
All registration in Australia is expensive as is our tax system . I believe we are one of the highest tax paying country's in the world. The registration is broken into the following.

Third Party Insurance ... $279.60.
Registration Fee .........., $109.45.
Traffic Improvement Fee..$54.90

I do not have a clue what a Traffic Improvement Fee is, given it is about the cost of a carton of beer and a kilo of prawns I could have an educated guess.

3Chief
03-23-2016, 08:39 PM
My VTX was $48.75 in Washington State, however I live in Kitsap County and outside the city of Bremerton. Local municipalities can tack on various "excise taxes"

The B should be the same, I'll find out when I finally take it home for a visit...Then I'll be right back here SoCal for the rest of the year...

F6Dave
03-23-2016, 08:42 PM
I paid $211.51 to renew in 2015. It was even higher when I bought the bike in 2014. Colorado is one of the worst in the nation. Registration taxes for new cars and trucks can easily exceed $1000, and sales tax adds thousands more!

ths61
03-24-2016, 12:45 AM
All registration in Australia is expensive as is our tax system . I believe we are one of the highest tax paying country's in the world. The registration is broken into the following.

Third Party Insurance ... $279.60.
Registration Fee .........., $109.45.
Traffic Improvement Fee..$54.90

I do not have a clue what a Traffic Improvement Fee is, given it is about the cost of a carton of beer and a kilo of prawns I could have an educated guess.

What is 3rd Party Insurance? Is that insurance on the bike or uninsured motorists insurance or something else ?

BigT01
03-24-2016, 07:34 AM
What is 3rd Party Insurance? Is that insurance on the bike or uninsured motorists insurance or something else ?

IT is a tax for insurance for people that get hurt in accidents so if they sue for compensation against someone that doesn't have insurance. If that makes sense.

My rego fee is $241 per year, which is relativeiy cheap for Australia, in New South Wales Motorcycle rego fees including third party insurance is over $800 per year plus annual inspection fee of about $50.

Tony

ths61
03-24-2016, 10:32 AM
IT is a tax for insurance for people that get hurt in accidents so if they sue for compensation against someone that doesn't have insurance. If that makes sense.

My rego fee is $241 per year, which is relativeiy cheap for Australia, in New South Wales Motorcycle rego fees including third party insurance is over $800 per year plus annual inspection fee of about $50.

Tony

We have uninsured motorist insurance as well, but it is on the vehicle's insurance policy, not the registration. Vehicle insurance is mandatory.

adventurous1
03-24-2016, 02:42 PM
NPR's Planet Money podcast below profiled a guy who did this for years as well. You may find it interesting.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/02/19/467383708/episode-685-larry-vs-the-irs

Did find this: ".....led to a trial on three charges of tax evasion.On February 5, 2010 those charges were dropped and he pleaded guilty to three misdemeanor charges of failing to file income tax returns on time (for tax years 1999, 2000, and 2001)." He was a commodities trader - and with all stock exchange trades the person MUST USE A TAX ID #; and thus, he had 'tax able income'. btw, lying on a tax return is a felony; whereas not filing is a misdemeanor.

Also, I DO NOT used a 'taxpayer ID #'. HUGE difference between Larry Williams and me. And, an attorney named Cryer was facing similar consequences; however, he was acquitted on July 11, 2007. Cryer did not make any of his arguments about the legality of the income tax to the jury itself. Instead he asserted that he really did not believe that he owed the taxes, so there was no criminal intent. The jury genuinely believed Cryer was not liable for the $73,000 in taxes the government says he owes for tax years 2000 and 2001. Absent proof of criminal intent, the jury acquitted him. Guess if one is hauled into a court, it depends on just how well your case is presented to the jury. Countless 'defendants' have been acquitted by juries for 'failure to file'. Think the media or public schools are going to tell you? :lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:

Also, no $$$ stripped from any workers check and sent to gov't workers pays for any services in America. This is a proved fact by Pres R.R. when he set up the Grace Commission (top business execs and economics) to find out just exactly where 'Subtitle A Income Taxes' go. This quote from the Grace Commission says it all;

"100% of what is collected is absorbed solely by interest on the Federal Debt ... all individual income tax revenues are gone before one nickel is spent on the services taxpayers expect from government."
-Grace Commission report submitted to President Ronald Reagan - January 15, 1984" Think the media and /or the public schools are going to instruct 'we the people' of this? :lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:

PROPERTY TAXES pays for schools/ teachers/cops/ fire/ courts, etc., etc.
GAS TAX / vehicle registration, fees, etc., etc. pays for streets / hwys, etc., etc.
SALES TAX - basically a monstrous slush fund for local / state gov't workers.

Got it? Subtitle A "Income Tax" pays for NO SERVICES. Nada, none, zip, zero. So, I have absolutely no desire to be a slave for gov't workers. I work to hard for my compensation for labor. With the last 3 FULL pay checks I received - I took 'the extra cash' and ordered about 4K ish in bad ass accessories for the B. (I'm keeping the economy rolling.) With the extra funds, instead of doing the work on my bike, I'm going to have a local start up race shop put them all on for me. (again, I'm keeping the economy rolling).

Cheers.