PDA

View Full Version : Breakway Cuise Control – first ride evaluation

Davidk
03-15-2016, 06:43 PM
Breakway Cuise Control – first ride evaluation

The Breakway cruise control is a mechanical throttle brake that mounts onto the bike’s throttle grip and is secured by a mechanical link to the break lever mounting screw.

I have Kuryakyn ISO grips. I called the company and they told me that part number 7CP04 would work. The also stated that they are the only ones that offer that version, and therefore has to be ordered direct from them. They also have a version for use on the stock grips which can be ordered from any of the dealers or the manufacturer themselves.

I called it a throttle brake, but it really more like a friction device. Once the bike is at speed, simply press the locking lever in. Since it doesn’t really lock the throttle, the throttle can easily be adjusted by twisting the throttle. It unlocks in two ways, by pressing the release lever that sits above the locking leaver, or, by pulling on the front brake lever about ½ inch. Both the engagement and release levers are well situated and easily reached with the thumb while riding.

I was impressed with its construction, it’s about 95% aluminum with plastic used for friction. Seems sturdy and well built.

As with all mechanical cruise systems, neither the rear break nor the clutch will disengage the system so you need to be aware that it is in use. In an emergency, even if you forget that the system is engaged, the throttle can be easily returned home by your hand.

I was told that installation is easy. While I am not a wrench, I figured that I was savvy enough to figure it out. I was wrong. The instructions were bad and the photos worse. The videos on the website did not relate at all to this version. I had a difficult time getting the system on the grip straight. Also when it was not engaged, the throttle didn't snap back on its own as it should. Knowing how devastating it could be if it didn’t work right, I opted to have a dealer install it. I found a local Honda dealer on the Breakaway website. The quoted me about $100, it was done for $70. Took him 45mins, start to finish. I watched him fiddle with fine adjustments for at least the last 10 minutes of the install. It was probably longer. I am sure that there are some tricks that make the install easy, but I didn’t feel comfortable.

Final judgment: Solid construction, well made, easy to engage and disengage and works as advertised. What’s not to love?

19647 19648 19649

99m3
03-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Thanks for this review because I have been considering the breakaway for my grips.

Davidk
03-15-2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks for this review because I have been considering the breakaway for my grips.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Kolsch
04-26-2016, 08:32 PM
I installed my break away cruise on my f6b. It was tricky, you have to get everything level "straight" it was a pain in the a$$. Works great.