PDA

View Full Version : On eBay.

stroguy
03-19-2016, 09:59 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182049068685?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Phantom
03-19-2016, 10:10 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182049068685?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would be ALL over that however … my preference is the Candy Black Cherry Color and I have no room in the Garage :banghead:

Davidk
03-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Hottest production bike ever made. Simply gorgeous. The dark red is my fav color too.

If you look around, there are lots for sale with low mileage, a surprising amount.

I came very close to buying one. Four reasons that I didn't:
1. they are 12-14 years old.
2 Parts are rare and expensive.
3. If you don't do your own work, you need to find a mechanic that is familiar with the Rune--there's none that I could find where I live.
4. I was not impressed with the ride. Seat is tool low, and when making a turn, the the rake wants to make a sharper turn and you need to resist that with the handle bars. F6B is much better ride.

Reason that I would buy it: its freakin gorgeous. A real head turner.

Phantom
03-19-2016, 10:29 PM
Hottest production bike ever made. Simply gorgeous. The dark red is my fav color too.

If you look around, there are lots for sale with low mileage, a surprising amount.

I came very close to buying one. Four reasons that I didn't:
1. they are 12-14 years old.
2 Parts are rare and expensive.
3. If you don't do your own work, you need to find a mechanic that is familiar with the Rune--there's none that I could find where I live.
4. I was not impressed with the ride. Seat is tool low, and when making a turn, the the rake wants to make a sharper turn and you need to resist that with the handle bars. F6B is much better ride.

Reason that I would buy it: its freakin gorgeous. A real head turner.

BigLarry and a few others on here including myself know the Rune very well. I exported many of them all over the world.

Allow me to add to your points ….

#1 - You are absolutely correct and because of the age….. all of the rubber seals, hoses and rubber components are hard and not as pliable as they once were. The radiator hoses need to be tightened further to prevent radiator fluid from leaking (more noticeable in the cold temps) Brake caliper "O"-rings tend to allow air into the rear brake system through the front linked calipers which causes a spongy rear brake temporarily until the system is bled (annual procedure)

#2 - 100% correct and Honda no longer produces parts for the Rune.

#3 - 100% correct, most of us do our own work. Dealerships for the most part rarely see a rune for repairs unless it is a BLUE Rune (Hey Steve :poke:)

#4 - I agree and disagree, the factory seat is hard and worthless, Ultimate and Corbin made comfortable seats for the Rune. The suspension was adjustable and there was the option of installing a air ride suspension (BIG Bucks). The front rake was actually much better and turning was a lot easier and more nimble when you replaced the factory front 150 tire with the Goldwing front 130 tire. I invented the unique Honda Rune risers that RIVCO produces and sells. It was not easy but after several prototypes and 20 months of R&D, we were able to bring back the handlebars 2 and 5/8 inches which made a world of a difference with the steering for hundreds of owners.

The RUNE was the longest Honda ever built and she was a piece of ART on wheels. I've had many in my garage at one time :icon_cool::yes:

52edub
03-20-2016, 06:29 AM
Here is one on my local CL.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/5490810211.html

BIGLRY
03-20-2016, 11:10 AM
BigLarry and a few others on here including myself know the Rune very well. I exported many of them all over the world.

#1 - You are absolutely correct and because of the age….. all of the rubber seals, hoses and rubber components are hard and not as pliable as they once were. The radiator hoses need to be tightened further to prevent radiator fluid from leaking (more noticeable in the cold temps) Brake caliper "O"-rings tend to allow air into the rear brake system through the front linked calipers which causes a spongy rear brake temporarily until the system is bled (annual procedure)

#3 - 100% correct, most of us do our own work. Dealerships for the most part rarely see a rune for repairs unless it is a BLUE Rune (Hey Steve :poke:)

#4 - I agree and disagree, the factory seat is hard and worthless, Ultimate and Corbin made comfortable seats for the Rune. The suspension was adjustable and there was the option of installing a air ride suspension (BIG Bucks). The front rake was actually much better and turning was a lot easier and more nimble when you replaced the factory front 150 tire with the Goldwing front 130 tire. I invented the unique Honda Rune risers that RIVCO produces and sells. It was not easy but after several prototypes and 20 months of R&D, we were able to bring back the handlebars 2 and 5/8 inches which made a world of a difference with the steering for hundreds of owners.

The RUNE was the longest Honda ever built and she was a piece of ART on wheels. I've had many in my garage at one time :icon_cool::yes:

19699 +1
I had four at one time myself, down to two now. No one touches my Runes but me....I LOVE the Rune!

Davidk
03-20-2016, 06:10 PM

Thanks for filling in those gaps. Larry was very friendly and helpful in answering my Rune questions. Unfortunately, for me, his comments regarding parts and repair are the reasons that I did not purchase.

I'm not much of a wrench myself. I spoke to two honda service managers and neither had even heard of the Rune. So much for finding local service.

The one that I was able to ride was at an out of state dealer during a business trip. The rear brakes has so much air in the lines that they were non existent. Had to make a second trip to the dealer to give them time to bleed them. They were fine after that.

It was gorgeous and in my favorite dark cherry red, but alas, I had to leave it there :(

YikesCops
03-21-2016, 07:45 AM
I've had mine for 3 years now, purchased it with only 1K miles. It's a collectible bike, and the prices are only going up now.

Don't agree with the ride issues, I've found it to be pretty easy to handle. Not as easy as the F6B, but all things considered, I love the Rune.