PDA

View Full Version : GPS choice?

soberbiker
03-20-2016, 08:33 AM
I am just curious as to which GPS is the choice of the riders here. I have a mount for a Garmin 665 already installed on the bike but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on one. A buddy of mine bought a 660 and wanted the XM upgrade so he went with the 665. He hates it. It has never worked as advertised since he bought it new and has sent it back 3-4 times to get is fixed and he claims that it still isn't functioning correctly.

After doing some research, I have come up with either the Zumo 395 (Yet to be released) or the on the market Zumo 550. Of course the 395 is less money but the 550 is available NOW!!! But again...much more $$$.

So I am just curious who has what and their satisfaction with their choice? :stirthepot:

Bob Penn
03-20-2016, 09:31 AM
I have a good old TOM-TOM that I took out of my old pick up truck, and although it wasn't specifically made for motorcycles, I put it on my old bike and it ran there for 9 years. Now I put it on the new F6B last July. Two weeks ago it took me down to Daytona from PA and back with no trouble.
It planed the route, distance and direction of the next turn, the street name, the distance to my final destination, the time to go and even the current time.
Yes, I had to do some free program updates on the computer from time to time, but considering it's been almost 12 years of not getting lost I can now say it was one of the best $100.00 I've ever spent on not getting lost.
Too many people get lost on the electronics highway today and pay through the back pocket for something that used to be free in every gas station a few years back. I think we used to call it a map. Yep, some of that other information was nice to have it gave me something to think about in traffic but it interfered with my tecing.

GaTeach
03-20-2016, 09:37 AM
None :)

yellow rex
03-20-2016, 10:01 AM
What I have is two of each one for the wife and one for myself, all Zumos (2) 590LM, (2) 660, (2) 550 my wife thinks we need to upgrade
every time a new one comes out.

vmaxed
03-20-2016, 10:18 AM
I have the Garmin 665 on my wing and f6b,no trouble for me :icon_wink:

Travelor
03-20-2016, 10:25 AM
I have used the Garmin 1450 for years because it has one of the brightest 5" screens available. Only problem is, it is discontinued but you can still find them on the internet. If rain threatens, I just put it in a small zip lock bag (closure on the bottom so the power cable can remain connected and the closure slide orientated toward the power cord side when almost closed) and then hook it to the mount. Works great for everything but a hurricane (which has happened).

zeus661
03-20-2016, 01:38 PM
I have the Garmin Monterra and a Montana as backup. Both have mounts and will run for several days on 3 AA batteries. They are actually design for geocaching but work just like a Nuvi with the road maps. And you can drop them in a puddle.

seadog
03-20-2016, 02:00 PM
The Nuvi 205 is the oldest and still works like a champ, the next newest is the Nuvi 2555 and the newest one is the Nuvi 50 the bigger ones have Lifetime maps and traffic but I prefer the oldest one which is also the smallest for use on the bike. I have never had a false direction given by any of them and have always arrive on target. Amazon.com has a wonderful selection of Garmins and a wide range of prices as well.

Winston
03-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Was never happy with my Garmin 660, just bought the Tomtom 400 that works fine now and accepts GPX tracks

soberbiker
03-20-2016, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I have a 2720 still mounted on my Beemer but I want to up grade to something that is a bit easier to see. The new Garmin 395 looks like it will fit hat bill. We'll see when and if it comes out soon. :popcorn:

Old Ryder
03-20-2016, 04:39 PM
I had a Garmin 450 that went with my Victory when I sold it. I bought the 660. How is it possible for a newer model to be much worse than the one it replaces? It was marked down from $600 to $350 and is not worth a refurbished Nuvi that you can get for half that!

soberbiker
03-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Just baffle's the mind...:icon_doh:

MisterB
03-20-2016, 05:27 PM
I hate to have too many pricey doodads hanging off the bike, I'm happy with my Garmin Nuvi 50LM mainly because of the lifetime maps and low price.
I'd love to have the top of the line but would hate to pay for it and would hate to lose it to thieves or a drop.
The Nuvi works great plus has a nice RAM mount adapter:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z9RHKU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
Downside is that it won't do GPX files, this is something I didn't know about when I bought it, will look for a unit that supports them next time around.
I'm probably the only one who didn't know about GPX files, but if someone else doesn't; here's the deal:
You can go to a site like this (http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/782/Utah/Southern-Utah-Northern-Arizona-Hwy-89-Loop.html) and download the GPX file and put it on your GPS unit, then you load it and follow it.
The above isn't the best example, the route can be much more complex, comprising many different roads and turns that would be cumbersome to program directly into a GPS unit and distracting if you were to use tank bag mounted turn-by-turn written directions.

So the checklist for next unit is: GPX compatible and RAM mount available. Waterproof is pretty expensive compared to a ziplock bag.

SimonTemplar
03-21-2016, 12:33 AM
I went back and forth between getting the 660 or the 590. Ultimately, I decided on the 590...mostly for the TPMS capabilities. Haven't installed the TPMS as yet, but I intend to before long.

So far, I don't regret the decision.

....sT

seadog
03-21-2016, 05:58 AM
I hate to have too many pricey doodads hanging off the bike, I'm happy with my Garmin Nuvi 50LM mainly because of the lifetime maps and low price.
I'd love to have the top of the line but would hate to pay for it and would hate to lose it to thieves or a drop.
The Nuvi works great plus has a nice RAM mount adapter:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z9RHKU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
Downside is that it won't do GPX files, this is something I didn't know about when I bought it, will look for a unit that supports them next time around.
I'm probably the only one who didn't know about GPX files, but if someone else doesn't; here's the deal:
You can go to a site like this (http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/782/Utah/Southern-Utah-Northern-Arizona-Hwy-89-Loop.html) and download the GPX file and put it on your GPS unit, then you load it and follow it.
The above isn't the best example, the route can be much more complex, comprising many different roads and turns that would be cumbersome to program directly into a GPS unit and distracting if you were to use tank bag mounted turn-by-turn written directions.

So the checklist for next unit is: GPX compatible and RAM mount available. Waterproof is pretty expensive compared to a ziplock bag.

I haven't a clue what a GPX file is and have not the want to find out. I like things simple that work without all the hi tech stuff. I still have a stupid phone that works just fine as a phone and wouldn't want a smart phone for love nor money. My Nuvi 205 with it little screen work just fine and has many other trips under its belt. It has always been right on target and puts me at the place I log in.
The biggest thing with all of these is to unload the new maps often. If you try to avoid that it will cause your unit to error.

Old Ryder
03-21-2016, 06:56 AM
The issues I have with the 660 is not whether or not it works. It functions just fine. But if you are designing a GPS for a bike and charging 3X the price because of that, then make features that work on a bike. Such as--- The screen on the 660 is not very bright. I keep it at 100% brightness all of the time. If you wear polarized sunglasses or a full face helmet with a tinted shield it is hard to see. Then, in bright sunlight--like you tend to have on a bike much of the time--you have to strain to make out the screen. If you are riding with the sun to your back, you can't see anything on the screen at all.

I hooked up the bluetooth to my phone and if you are stopped and scream into it, the other party will still have a hard time making out what you are saying. This is not a big deal because this is a feature I can live without.

The processor is slow. When you turn if you have another quick turn, you will be past it before it will tell you---then you hear the "re-calculating". How does the newer model have a slower processor?????

Also, no way to lock it on the bike. Anybody can walk past and remove it in less than a second. My Zumo 450 had a lock with a "1 mm snake eye" bit that kept it somewhat secure for a brief period.

These are sub par performance issues that I never had on my 450---(got it around 2007)--- which was much older and performed much better.

Go figure

Steve 0080
03-21-2016, 07:06 AM
I still have the 550, I had a 3 something once. There are a couple of locks out there that are great. There is another thread on GPS's a week ago that has the info for the locks and GPS compared as well.

ff73148
03-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Garmin 390 LM

DMAGOLDRDR
03-21-2016, 08:06 AM
I have a few Garmins, the 550 Nuvi, 660 Zumo and my still favorite good old 2610. They are all waterproof and the 660 and 2610 are mounted to the Motorcycle with RAM Mounts. The 2610 mount has a "locked on the bike" mount but we all know how long that would hold up if someone really wanted it. The 660 has the quick release feature that I like as it drops right in the cubby when I walk away from the bike, or gets put in a saddlebag if I need a more secure place.

The 550 for general use and an extra unit on long trips.

The 660 mounted on the F6B. It works well for me. My GPSs are used as moving maps and I keep an eye on where I am and when to turn without audible directions.

The 2610 is mounted on my 78 Wing. It is an old unit and not supported any longer and has a bit smaller screen but has features that the 660 doesn't have that are still important to me.

All of my GPS's have the audio turned off. After my divorce I decided I do NOT care for another woman telling me when to turn and where to go!!!!

vmaxed
03-21-2016, 08:28 AM
All of my GPS's have the audio turned off. After my divorce I decided I do NOT care for another woman telling me when to turn and where to go!!!!

LOL...:lolup: Dan you can change it to a male voice :icon_wink:

Bob Penn
03-21-2016, 09:07 AM
I don't like women telling me where or how to go either so my Tom Tom uses Homer Simpson's voice. But it's no better hearing a cor tune's voice telling me how to get to Hell.

ShanghaiDan
03-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Google Maps on my Note 5. Big bright screen, quick calculations, up-to-date traffic, and automatically blends with the Bluetooth streaming music (and the occasional phone call). And it's free!

Winston
03-21-2016, 11:26 AM
I used the 660 for about 4 years now. After a lot of updates, it sometimes still reacts too slow for me. A lot of times not a fluent image while riding. Sometimes the map doesn't move at all when you need it,white screen without the map or the voice tells you to take a right turn and the map shows you to go to the left. To zoom in or out goes very slow, in heavy sunlight, you see nothing. With a cardo g4 the bluetooth was ok but now with a sena s20, couldn't play music stored in gps. Now with the tomtom rider 400, i realise that the 660 is like an old pc.bad screen, To slow and not a lot of possibilities.

Hornblower
03-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Count me as another one that isn't overly impressed with the 665, especially considering the cost. I've had other, less expensive, Garmins that outperformed it but unfortunately, those weren't water resistant. I got my 665 used from a friend so I'm just glad I didn't pay full price for it. On a more positive note, the 665 does have some nice features and, of course, has built-in Sirius/XM capability. Now that I no longer fund the Sirius/XM monopoly, the 665 isn't as important to me. Two other points...there are ways to improve screen visibility in strong sunlight. There is a filtering screen made for the 665 and you can add a shading hood as well. Both of these make a big difference.

Pap
03-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Old Tom Tom here.
Bought a $39.00 weather case/mount for it. Works fine.

cosborn
03-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Zumo 550 and love it

Chris

shooter
03-21-2016, 07:48 PM
Garmin Dezl 560 LMT. Its tough and has the capability to hook up a backup camera. Thought that might be nice in city traffic to be able to watch what is happening behind you. I also like the powered cradle. You get off and pop it off the cradle and put it in your pocket.

Az Wingrider
03-22-2016, 03:28 PM
I have a Zumo 665 and find that it does a great job for me. I am not sure why some complain about not being able to download gpx maps into the 665 because I do it and have never experienced a problem with doing it. I also use mine with the volume turned off and I do run a shade to help with visibility. Different strokes for different folks, but I am satisfied with mine

ghost
03-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Love the 665, never a hiccup. The weather radar app has been great on iffy weather days. Can't live without XM radio and I run my iphone through it as well (wireless headset on my full face helmet.) Just a great package!

lgjhn
03-22-2016, 07:00 PM
I still use my trusty old Garmin Zumo 550.

stepbill
03-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Garmin 660 for me and have never had an issue.

soberbiker
03-23-2016, 05:14 AM
One of the features I saw on the newer models is the

"Garmin Real Directions™ on the zūmo 395LM virtually redefine the concept of “spoken turn-by-turn directions.” In addition to speaking street names, your zūmo offers guidance using recognizable landmarks, buildings and traffic lights (e.g., “Turn right after the red building”). And thanks to Foursquare® data, zūmo is preloaded with millions of new and popular places to explore. In addition, the Garmin Direct Access feature helps simplify your navigation to select complex destinations, like malls and airports, by providing detailed location information once you reach the recommended entrance. For example, “Arriving at Woodfield Mall. Foot Locker is inside, on level two.”

I know it's a small thing but having notification of landmarks helps me to recognize where I'm supposed to turn. My distance calculator doesn't work, so having a land mark to see would make it much simpler to pick out the distance.

unsub
03-23-2016, 07:19 AM
So I am just curious who has what and their satisfaction with their choice? :stirthepot:

I think all GPS's are over rated as driving map devices. Saying that I use an old 660 that works just fine and it handles all my music files nicely.

Some, not all, GPS issues can be traced back to poor signal coverage in the area travelled.

It seems practical, and since you have the mounting hardware and wiring (?) installed it's a no brainer to stick with the 660

choptop
03-23-2016, 11:54 AM

"Garmin Real Directions™ on the zūmo 395LM virtually redefine the concept of “spoken turn-by-turn directions.” In addition to speaking street names, your zūmo offers guidance using recognizable landmarks, buildings and traffic lights (e.g., “Turn right after the red building”). And thanks to Foursquare® data, zūmo is preloaded with millions of new and popular places to explore. In addition, the Garmin Direct Access feature helps simplify your navigation to select complex destinations, like malls and airports, by providing detailed location information once you reach the recommended entrance. For example, “Arriving at Woodfield Mall. Foot Locker is inside, on level two.”

I know it's a small thing but having notification of landmarks helps me to recognize where I'm supposed to turn. My distance calculator doesn't work, so having a land mark to see would make it much simpler to pick out the distance.

I am looking at the new 395 or 595, Hard enough to justify the cost of the 395, but hell its only another 300 for the 695 so...

choptop
03-23-2016, 01:13 PM

I am looking at the new 395 or 595, Hard enough to justify the cost of the 395, but hell its only another 300 for the 595 so...

SimonTemplar
03-23-2016, 02:50 PM
I am looking at the new 395 or 595, Hard enough to justify the cost of the 395, but hell its only another 300 for the 595 so...

Granted, I didn't spend a lot of time on the matter. However, at first blush, there does;t seem to be any difference to speak of (or possibly even at all) between the 590 and the just-released 595. You might be able to get a deal on a 590 and save some cash over the 595.

....sT

choptop
03-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Granted, I didn't spend a lot of time on the matter. However, at first blush, there does;t seem to be any difference to speak of (or possibly even at all) between the 590 and the just-released 595. You might be able to get a deal on a 590 and save some cash over the 595.

....sT

I'm not much of a compare kind of guy, something to work on, but thank you, I will compare the two.:yes:

Patch
03-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Reliability trumps functionality in my choices. I picked up a manufacturer refurbished 660LM for use. It's been a workhorse for the Garmin line for a decade now. While dated, it just works. Not only does it pick up US based satellites, but WAAS satellites as well.
GPS signals get you to within 30ish feet, WAAS gets you down to about 6 feet of precision. Most of the Garmin line does this though.
Another reason was the price. I got mine at $249.00 while new units generally go for $500+? The LM is lifetime free map updates. And having been through the Honda Map updates with my truck, paying $150 a year for updates is the suck, so be aware when picking your GPS that you aren't getting saddled with a pay-to-update model.

I also have a Samsung S5 phone, but phones generally use A-GPS, GLONASS and BDS for location purposes and require a bit heavier computing resources. GLONASS is essentially a Russian GPS system, MDS is a Chinese GPS system and A-GPS is a data-based GPS system that uses a cellular, Wifi or Ethernet link to a primary GPS server to provide data. You jam all these together and get a pretty accurate location...but at the cost of a bit of your data plan. No WAAS.

I do like features on the 660 as well. Bluetooth a headset, phone and the GPS together, have the phone locked up and make calls with the headset via the GPS. If you want to use the onboard audio system, just run a line from line-out on the 660 to line-in on the bike, now you can hear the GPS through the speakers, or music or blare out your phone conversations...

I also like little funky stuff like the voice prompt software (my Garmin screams out commands as Foghorn Leghorn and a few other characters that crack me up), the trip planning software (easy to set POI's and routes while not riding).

06Blackpearl
03-24-2016, 12:02 PM
Reliability trumps functionality in my choices. I picked up a manufacturer refurbished 660LM for use. It's been a workhorse for the Garmin line for a decade now. While dated, it just works. Not only does it pick up US based satellites, but WAAS satellites as well.
GPS signals get you to within 30ish feet, WAAS gets you down to about 6 feet of precision. Most of the Garmin line does this though.
Another reason was the price. I got mine at $249.00 while new units generally go for $500+? The LM is lifetime free map updates. And having been through the Honda Map updates with my truck, paying $150 a year for updates is the suck, so be aware when picking your GPS that you aren't getting saddled with a pay-to-update model.

I also have a Samsung S5 phone, but phones generally use A-GPS, GLONASS and BDS for location purposes and require a bit heavier computing resources. GLONASS is essentially a Russian GPS system, MDS is a Chinese GPS system and A-GPS is a data-based GPS system that uses a cellular, Wifi or Ethernet link to a primary GPS server to provide data. You jam all these together and get a pretty accurate location...but at the cost of a bit of your data plan. No WAAS.

I do like features on the 660 as well. Bluetooth a headset, phone and the GPS together, have the phone locked up and make calls with the headset via the GPS. If you want to use the onboard audio system, just run a line from line-out on the 660 to line-in on the bike, now you can hear the GPS through the speakers, or music or blare out your phone conversations...

I also like little funky stuff like the voice prompt software (my Garmin screams out commands as Foghorn Leghorn and a few other characters that crack me up), the trip planning software (easy to set POI's and routes while not riding).

Good info!!

unsub
03-24-2016, 01:15 PM

Excellent information well laid out for all. Thanks Patch.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5300-Garmin-Zumo-660-vs-USB-MP3-Audio&highlight=garmin

SimonTemplar
03-25-2016, 12:45 AM
For whatever it's worth.....

I have just recently seen a thread on another forum (honestly don't remember which) from someone seeking a third-party repair station for their 660. The reason being that Garmin had told them that the 660 was no longer being supported.

Glad I passed last month on the 660 and spent the extra dinero for the 590. (of course, by the time I need repair....Garmin will have also abandoned the 590 as well, I'm sure)

....sT

choptop
03-25-2016, 08:43 AM

I have just recently seen a thread on another forum (honestly don't remember which) from someone seeking a third-party repair station for their 660. The reason being that Garmin had told them that the 660 was no longer being supported.

Glad I passed last month on the 660 and spent the extra dinero for the 590. (of course, by the time I need repair....Garmin will have also abandoned the 590 as well, I'm sure)

....sT

How do you like the 590 and your thoughts on the 595, Simon Termplar ?

unsub
03-25-2016, 08:56 AM

....sT

Were you able to confirm that with Garmin? Garmin's web site is showing discontinued but still supported. That seems like a natural life cycle for any product.

That platform seems to be a popular seller still, although nicely discounted in price.

stevenolts
03-25-2016, 09:36 AM
Just for comparison sake:

I am wondering what are the advantages of using a dedicated GPS over the GPS in my cell phone.

I have never had or used a dedicated GPS but I have traveled all over back roads in the middle of no where and have rarely if ever lost the signal to the cell phone. I also get updates as to the road problems etc... on the fly.

I can say that you need to careful when the cell phone GPS tells you to get off and take an alternative route to avoid a traffic problem. This is what is making me interested in hearing opinions about the dedicated GPS over the cell phone GPS.

On my way home from Florida last weekend the cell phone took me on an alternative path to avoid an 11 minute delay.

I normally would go through Birmingham to Nashville and get on 24 through the land between the lakes to St Louis.

To avoid a 11 min delay I went on back roads from just before Birmingham for 5 hours and ended up arriving in St Louis vi highway 55. I had no idea where I was for much of this time. I was already and hour plus in to the alternative root, it was dark, I was sick with the flu, and I had no idea where I was at. Thank god I decided with my sickness to take the car on this trip. I think I may have avoided the 11 min delay but I almost went insane in the process. If it was daytime, I was not sick, and on the bike the back roads would have been great.

Steve

SimonTemplar
03-26-2016, 01:00 AM
Were you able to confirm that with Garmin? Garmin's web site is showing discontinued but still supported. That seems like a natural life cycle for any product.

That platform seems to be a popular seller still, although nicely discounted in price.

No...I've made no attempt to confirm this. As I said....merely a thread I ran across on another forum. The OP there did not impress me as someone looking to smear Garmin or otherwise stir up grief. It sounded as though he just wanted his unit fixed.

Apparently, his touchscreen was not working properly (or possibly at all, it wasn't clear) and when he called Garmin for a fix, they told him that they were no longer performing repairs on 660's. That is the sum total of what I know.

....sT

SimonTemplar
03-26-2016, 01:23 AM
How do you like the 590 and your thoughts on the 595, Simon Termplar ?

So far, and it hasn't been very long at all (two months...perhaps a bit more), I like the 590.

I was back and forth between the 660LM and the 590LM (for those who don't already know....the "LM" just means that you get a lifetime subscription to the map updates along with the unit. Nothing else). I finally went with the 590 for the TPMS capability. Although not a deciding factor, the better turn-by-turn info was just icing on the cake (not sure that I've ever gotten any of the new and improved voice directions as yet...so who knows whether they're really any better).

That being said.....I've yet to buy the TPMS valve caps as yet, much less install them. Intend to do so before long, however. As an aside....it has since come to my attention that if you intend to use the TPMS system you need to replace the Honda rubber valve stems with metal stems. So if TPMS is a big deal for you...keep that in mind.

As is my usual lot in life....I purchased the 590 and TWO DAYS later (FedEX hadn't even delivered my 590 yet..and I paid for two-day shipping, too) the 595 showed up on the Garmin website.

I looked over the two units on the website using their 'Compare' feature. Other than that, I didn't spend much time on it....figured I'd already locked myself into the 590 and it was $100 cheaper) From just what was featured on Garmins 'Compare'....I could not see any difference at all.. Perhaps a slight change in the case...but that was it.

I may very well have missed something, I didn't spend much time on the matter. But I did spend long enough to assuage my fears that I'd purchased the wrong unit. I am happy with the 590. 98% sure I'd do it again even in view of the now-available 595.

.....sT

choptop
03-26-2016, 06:46 AM
Thank you Simon Templar, I will be going between the OLD 590 and the New 395 and 595. Being this is my first no work summer I hope to do more riding than ever before.

BadDawg
04-04-2016, 02:09 PM
I know,I'm a little late to the conversation but I just use my phone and waze. Unless I'm overseas that's all I use in my car as well.