PDA

View Full Version : Vacation starting Friday June 3

zeus661
03-24-2016, 12:11 PM
So every year I take a motorcycle vacation and this year it starts Friday June 3. I am in NW Ohio and I am looking for a destination. In the past I have gone as far as Albuquerque, NM. Any thoughts?

GaTeach
03-24-2016, 12:21 PM
Last summer that same weekend, I rode the BRP. It's amazing that time of year. Everything at the higher elevations is in bloom and the temp is just perfect.

coffee_weasle
03-24-2016, 12:30 PM
+1 on the BRP

stop at Fancy Gap, there's a little motel there that's reasonably priced, then go to Mt. Airy NC (Mayberry), it's worth spending the day there

GaTeach
03-24-2016, 12:32 PM
+1 on the BRP

stop at Fancy Gap, there's a little motel there that's reasonably priced, then go to Mt. Airy NC (Mayberry), it's worth spending the day there

Yeah! This was a girls' trip (my HD girls) and one of us insisted on stopping in Mt Airy. I wasn't too excited about it, but once we were there, we had a blast.

Rapp's Orchard also has neat cabins. And stop in Floyd, VA on a Friday night. Hippy town with bluegrass everywhere.

coffee_weasle
03-24-2016, 12:35 PM
i'm wondering why i never happen into a "girl's trip" :icon_doh:

GaTeach
03-24-2016, 12:37 PM
I'll bet if you went on one, you wouldn't go on another. lol

coffee_weasle
03-24-2016, 12:38 PM
don't be so sure, lmao

bet? how much? lol

zeus661
03-24-2016, 01:08 PM
Where is the best place to pick up the BRP going south?

blueverclear
03-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Last summer that same weekend, I rode the BRP. It's amazing that time of year. Everything at the higher elevations is in bloom and the temp is just perfect.

+1 on the blue ridge parkway. Ive ridden bits and pieces of it throughout the smoky mountains and its always a great ride. I stay at a place called Lloyds on the River in Bryson City, NC every year in september. Its the perfect place to launch some of the best rides around the smoky mountains. Im like you and only get a week motorcycle vacation every year, and I always end up in the smoky mountains.

This year we are starting at the Motorcycle Museum @ Barber Motorsports in Birmingham, AL. The riding the GA Dragon (Suches Loop) then going to Helen, GA for lunch and ending up @ LLoyds that night. The rest of the rides will be launches from LLoyds on the River every morning.

Just my 2 pennies lol

Grant

blueverclear
03-24-2016, 01:14 PM

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/map.php

Thats a good guide of the whole thing. My friend rode the entire 400+ miles last year. Took him a couple days, he really seemed to enjoy it.

coffee_weasle
03-24-2016, 01:15 PM
Waynesboro is the north end

GaTeach
03-24-2016, 01:16 PM
Mundy Mill

Please notice the leather leg wraps my friend is wearing to keep her HD from burning her legs. Yes. People actually buy bikes like that. I don't get it.

shooter
03-24-2016, 01:44 PM
i'm wondering why i never happen into a "girl's trip" :icon_doh:

Yeah , its like duh!! Why can't that happen to me...........and the wife of course.

shooter
03-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Mundy Mill

Please notice the leather leg wraps my friend is wearing to keep her HD from burning her legs. Yes. People actually buy bikes like that. I don't get it.

Teach that's a nice looking crew. Good to have friends like that. I'm sure you gals have a lot of fun. And if you're like me you don't care what they ride. You just feel sorry for them. HA!!

hardtail
03-24-2016, 08:15 PM

I-77 South takes you past Fancy Gap(exit 8 as I recall). Exit 77 there and take the last 250 mile south. Best part of the parkway in my opinion. Cherokee and the Dragon south-Gatlinburg+Pidgeon Forge north. Don't forget Maggie Valley and Wheels thru time. Many side roads in that area that are great rides.

hardtail
03-24-2016, 08:24 PM
Mundy Mill

This is the people my mama warned me about.

Bob Penn
03-25-2016, 05:41 AM
The BRP is indeed a beautiful scenic ride, but be forewarned about the low enforced speed limit. It is not only enforced by the police but by the number of cars pulling trailers and other slow moving traffic. Hence notice the 2 days to cover 400 miles mentioned in a previous message.

That time of year you might consider heading up toward New England. You'll find plenty of scenic mountain roads with little traffic. If you like destinations and or rallies your timing would be right for "Americade" held in Lake George, NY. It originally started out as a Gold Wing rally but today it's anything on two or three wheels. Do a Google.
If your into history or sights you have Fort Ticonderoga to explore or maybe The White face mountain region. If your traveling to eat your not that far away from NE seafood or Vermont maple syrup.

blueverclear
03-25-2016, 05:48 AM
I-77 South takes you past Fancy Gap(exit 8 as I recall). Exit 77 there and take the last 250 mile south. Best part of the parkway in my opinion. Cherokee and the Dragon south-Gatlinburg+Pidgeon Forge north. Don't forget Maggie Valley and Wheels thru time. Many side roads in that area that are great rides.

Yea I have heard the same thing from others the southern part of the parkway is the best, which is actually the only parts I have ridden personally. I've ridden it from the south gate in Cherokee, NC up to Little Switzerland, NC which is about 150 miles are so. Do yourself a favor and STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM PIGEON FORGE & GATLINBURG!!!!!! Tourist trap at best, so much more of the mountains to see rather than wasting time there.

Grant

GaTeach
03-28-2016, 08:58 AM
Do yourself a favor and STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM PIGEON FORGE & GATLINBURG!!!!!! Tourist trap at best, so much more of the mountains to see rather than wasting time there.

Grant

I agree 100%. Pigeon Forge is the armpit of the world.

Travelor
03-28-2016, 09:10 AM
So every year I take a motorcycle vacation and this year it starts Friday June 3. I am in NW Ohio and I am looking for a destination. In the past I have gone as far as Albuquerque, NM. Any thoughts?

Since you are already in NW Ohio, what about going north into Michigan, visiting Traverse City (fantastic wineries on the Mission Pennisula then on to Marquette, MI (along the southern border of Lake Superior), then continue west to Duluth and back south along the river road or come south through Escanaba, Green Bay and around the south side of Lake Michigan. Granted, coming around Chicago and then east through Indiana sucks, but the northern part of this trip is beautiful. Wherever you go, be safe and enjoy the scenery.

GaTeach
03-28-2016, 09:21 AM
This is the people my mama warned me about.

Bob Penn
03-28-2016, 09:56 AM
Yep, them kind of people are always trying to get high. But I never heard elevation had anything to do with it.

GaTeach
03-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Yep, them kind of people are always trying to get high. But I never heard elevation had anything to do with it.

I'd only had SG a couple of days. She still has that shitty stock shield.

GaTeach
03-28-2016, 10:18 AM
don't be so sure, lmao

bet? how much? lol

This USMC Vietnam Vet rode with us ONCE and he's never been heard from again.

hardtail
03-28-2016, 08:52 PM

Great pics Teach! Have one of my 6 in that exact spot but no crazy people-just the bike. Looks like you had a good time.

coffee_weasle
03-29-2016, 09:00 AM

why are you three leaning? is there an issue with the gravity field there?

shooter
03-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Its the wind Weasle.

soberbiker
04-01-2016, 05:21 AM
Since you are already in NW Ohio, what about going north into Michigan, visiting Traverse City (fantastic wineries on the Mission Pennisula then on to Marquette, MI (along the southern border of Lake Superior), then continue west to Duluth and back south along the river road or come south through Escanaba, Green Bay and around the south side of Lake Michigan. Granted, coming around Chicago and then east through Indiana sucks, but the northern part of this trip is beautiful. Wherever you go, be safe and enjoy the scenery.

I have done that trip and it is a pretty ride...with the exception of Chi town and Ind (where I live). If ya want to avoid those two, there's a ferry that cuts across I believe @ Green Bay and drops ya back on the other side in Michigan. Then just a short jaunt to N/W Ohio. :yes:

Necanefan
04-01-2016, 07:00 AM
+1 on the speed limit. I lived in VA for many years and have ridden the BRP countless times. It truly is a beautiful ride. But, in terms of an enjoyable ride, that depends on what makes you happy. You will not be able to go over the 45 mph speed limit. Traffic will prevent this and the police give you little to no margin for error. The ride was a love/hate relationship for me as there are few rides that will compare to the beauty of the area, but the ride itself is greatly restricted by the speed limits and traffic.
I think it is a ride that everyone should do at least once to be able to decide for themselves. Detouring to the area of the Dragon is well worth it. There are a lot of great roads in that area.

Two other rides I would suggest which I consider some of the best I've ridden are: The Ozarks of Arkansas and the White Mountains of NH. Amazing scenery (White Mountains in particular) and perfect motorcycle roads in both (with the Ozarks being the best I've ever ridden).
Probably a close third to these two rides for me would be Rocky Mountain National Park and surrounding areas.

I'm still trying to decide on my summer trip. I've never been to Teton NP, nor to Yellowstone, so they may make my list.

Ride safe and have fun!
-Jeff

The BRP is indeed a beautiful scenic ride, but be forewarned about
the low enforced speed limit. It is not only enforced by the police but by the number of cars pulling trailers and other slow moving traffic. Hence notice the 2 days to cover 400 miles mentioned in a previous message.

That time of year you might consider heading up toward New England. You'll find plenty of scenic mountain roads with little traffic. If you like destinations and or rallies your timing would be right for "Americade" held in Lake George, NY. It originally started out as a Gold Wing rally but today it's anything on two or three wheels. Do a Google.
If your into history or sights you have Fort Ticonderoga to explore or maybe The White face mountain region. If your traveling to eat your not that far away from NE seafood or Vermont maple syrup.

wjduke
04-01-2016, 07:12 AM
There's a road not mentioned much that I rode a few years back called The Back of the Dragon. It's RT 16 in VA. We started in Marion and rode north. It's not as technical as the tail, but longer. It was a challenge for me as I was fairly new on my previous bike, but it was quite the ride.

GaTeach
06-02-2016, 12:09 AM
Did you decide where you're going yet?

bobo116
06-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Sent u a pm z.

GaTeach
06-03-2016, 06:48 AM
Hope your vacation goes exactly like you want!!! :)