PDA

View Full Version : Slow F6B sales in DFW Area

Texas TC
08-24-2013, 07:51 PM
I was at Dallas Honda where I bought my F6B today and was talking to the sales guy who worked on my purchase. He told me that sales were pretty slow on the F6B. They are probably the largest exclusive Honda dealer in the Dallas/Fort worth area. They had probably 12 or more units scattered around the showroom. They even still have the special painted white model they prepared several months ago.

I was surprised sales are going slow since we all know how great these machines are. I do know I have only seen 2-3 on the road around here since I bought mine in February.

KGREEN
08-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Maxim Honda in Allen, TX and Paris Honda/Harley in Paris, TX are the same way slow sales on the F6B. Both are saying the same thing, everyone wants cruise control and they cannot sell them due to that fact Honda chose not to add cruise.

bobbyf6b
08-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Maxim Honda in Allen, TX and Paris Honda/Harley in Paris, TX are the same way slow sales on the F6B. Both are saying the same thing, everyone wants cruise control and they cannot sell them due to that fact Honda chose not to add cruise.

I can agree with that if they are expecting to attract previous GW riders, but I think this bike is for a totally different demographic. I've never had a bike with cruise control and this is my first GW. I think they are drawing in people like me who normally wouldn't buy a GW but will jump on it now that it's stripped down and less expensive.

Cleaver1
08-25-2013, 05:40 AM
Are the priced at what the going price elsewhere is? Maybe everyone is going to Arkansas.

Steve 0080
08-25-2013, 07:49 AM
There is no doubt that cruise is nice to have..... but for us older guys whose first bike never had cruise, ( before it was invented ) it is no big deal. Not having cruise was a non issue for me. Not sure this would be classified as a touring bike , and in reality how often do you really need cruise? The paint is a non issue, although there are several of the boards bad mouthing the paint. Funny how non of the bike mags have said a word? Maybe the economy is not in as good of shape as the government would like you to think it is. I am sure there are plenty of people still hurting and laying out $20K is not in the cards at the moment...

Yeahoo Whoyah
08-25-2013, 08:25 AM
What Steve said! No need to quote the entire posting....I agree with every word. :thumb:

Paul B Blues
08-25-2013, 09:29 AM
To overlook the F6B simply because it hasn't got cruise control is a bit nuts if you ask me, but I'm sure the economy has something to do with it. If you're looking to purchase you F6B here in "Rip Off Britain" you are looking at the $30k mark :no:

Paul B.......:icon_cool:

BLACKBETTY12
08-25-2013, 09:46 AM
My dealership hasn't sold another F6B since I bought mine on February 14th. They said all the old folk come in and wine about cruise, reverse, and CB.

SpeedyWho
08-25-2013, 10:25 AM
There is no doubt that cruise is nice to have..... but for us older guys whose first bike never had cruise, ( before it was invented ) it is no big deal. Not having cruise was a non issue for me. Not sure this would be classified as a touring bike , and in reality how often do you really need cruise? The paint is a non issue, although there are several of the boards bad mouthing the paint. Funny how non of the bike mags have said a word? Maybe the economy is not in as good of shape as the government would like you to think it is. I am sure there are plenty of people still hurting and laying out $20K is not in the cards at the moment...

I agree with your comment, but not about the paint. The paint is terrible and Honda is at fault for that one. The only good thing about the paint is it gives me an excuse to get it painted, I wanted a blue bike anyway so I'll end up getting one

chevytr1
08-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Well I guess I'm a older guy that would never own another bike without cruise.lol. Once you've have had it you realize its the best thing on a bike if you stretch it out a lot on the highway. All my buddies have it and there is no going back. I am holding off buying the f6b for now and want to see what the 2014 looks like. Time will tell and if i end up with the GW, so be it. Hopefully the paint issue will be resolved....

chipmaker
08-25-2013, 10:59 AM
If you need cruise, go buy a GW. Ive had it on HDs, Kaws, and BMWs, but I don't need it... a $20 throttle lock can rest your wrist on long rides...

Scotrod
08-25-2013, 02:51 PM
I can agree with that if they are expecting to attract previous GW riders, but I think this bike is for a totally different demographic. I've never had a bike with cruise control and this is my first GW. I think they are drawing in people like me who normally wouldn't buy a GW but will jump on it now that it's stripped down and less expensive.

I agree, I've never had cruise, and never would consider owning a Wing before the F6B.

I have had a couple throttle locks on my prior rides and they were only for a wrist break every now and then. I've got cruise in my truck, and rarely use it either due to traffic. Cruise on a bike, to me, wouldn't get much use)

Went to a local Honda dealer, He's sold at least 3 or more. Took a closer look at the paint on the bikes that are still on the floor. Couldn't see any issues.
Economy? Certain areas of the Country are still hurting.

In other news,,,, Went to the local HD dealer. ZERO 2013 Street Glides on the floor. (4) 2014 Street Glides there. Constant swarm of onlookers. Not sure how many, if any, were sold, but night and day difference in 'activity' between Honda and HD.

(FWIW, there were several things I DID like about the 2014 HD changes. Not really any that I didn't like. If I had to pick 1 item as 'best improvement' it would be the new bags.)

Texas TC
08-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Steve 0080 wrote: Maybe the economy is not in as good of shape as the government would like you to think it is. I am sure there are plenty of people still hurting and laying out $20K is not in the cards at the moment...

I would agree. However. I was at North Texas Harley Davidson the same day and it was packed with customers and the larger than Honda sales staff members all were working deals on showroom bikes or ordering the 2014 Electra Glides with water cooled engine, linked braking system, and bluetooth voice actuated radio. Almost every Harley is at or above our price point. So, I don't think it is the economy. Not in North Texas anyway.

I just think it is, like BMW, a niche bike. Like us forum members, there will be a small group of riders that like or want to buy and ride this motorcycle. It may just be more of an exclusive club than we or Honda expected. It makes me wonder about the future of this concept. Makes no difference to me, I really like the F6B and would not trade it for anything else on the market.

bobbyf6b
08-25-2013, 06:49 PM
I think it would be cool if they made it a one year model like the Rune.

chipmaker
08-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Maybe people that live in that region just ride north and buy a custom painted one?? I know I would...

Phantom
08-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Just some information to chew on ….. Runes are holding their values somewhat.

The Runes had two model years …. 2004 (DA, DB, EA & EB) and 2005 (EB only), produced from March 2003 until July 2004 strictly for the North American market. The estimate is 3000 +/- units produced total. Todays estimate is that 2000 +/- exist in the USA. Estimates are that 600 have been exported and 400 have been totaled.

Honda initially sold them for $26,000 - $27,000. That was pretty steep back then when you compared it to a Goldwing which sold for $17,000 - $19,000.

In 2008 when Honda unloaded their warehouse of unsold 2004-2005 Runes, you could have purchased one for $16,000 out of the crate. Today the AVERAGE price for a Rune with less than 10,000 miles is between $16,000 and $20,000

Will the F6B be a 2 year run and 2014 be the last year for the F6B ??????????? :iduno: who knows ? Is the warehouse filling up with inventory? if so …. in 3-4 years when Honda unloads the warehouse ……. somebody is going to get a great deal.

Scotrod
08-25-2013, 09:04 PM
I can only guess the F6B will be around ~about~ as long as the 2nd Gen Wing due to the shared platform. They can drop a year if demand is light, ramp back up if they want to.

Still, compared to Honda's worldwide production, it's a niche bike.

Honda's 'best selling' bikes, on a worldwide scale, are nothing like the Goldwings, let alone the F6B's.

gray rider
08-25-2013, 09:55 PM
I crossed paths recently with a group of BMW riders coming out of a small cafe. One of them sized me up as a Beemer rider because I was carrying my Schuberth (German) helmet. I told them I was ring my Goldwing F6B and one of them immediately said "a what"? One of the other guys instantly began describing my F6B as a downgraded Wing with a smaller detuned engine and a lighter chassis, you know a "beginners bike". I explained that it is indeed a Wing through and through. As we approached my bike the expert said "see, just like I said, it's not a Wing at all , not the same frame or engine. He said that if I mastered this bike I might be able to move up to a real Wing in the future but probably not because "Goldwings cost twice as much". He then proceeded to lecture me on my ignorance about my own machine and suggested that I read up on it so as not to embarrass myself in the future. They congratulated each other as they mounted their real motorcycles (clearly not for beginners) and blasted off into Beemer nirvana. My point is that Honda's marketing/advertising must be totally missing the mark if motorcyclists who should know better are so poorly informed. Does no one read anymore? I read multiple, thorough and favorable reviews before seeing the F6B on the show circuit last January.

The regional dealer is sitting with F6's languishing on their floor. I really don't care if they are a one year wonder as I own a Rune and a DN01 and one more dead end Honda suits me just fine.
The more exclusive the better. It's just the BIG picture of what is Honda thinking at the corporate level when they have a fine product that should be flying off the showroom floor and nobody seems to be informed or interested in it on any level.

TheShow
08-25-2013, 10:00 PM
I think one of the biggest issues is advertising. Being a Marketing major, i notice that you see HD on every UFC event and commercials. Victory has their commercials "Ride one an you'll own one!" Victory even had their own interractive channel on AT&T U-Verse cable where you could explore all the new models. It's like Honda expected people to walk into a dealership, forget what they actually went to see, and say "What's that?". There's a reason companies pay millions of dollars on advertising. I live in Kansas so I don't know about the advertising in other parts of the country.

Steve 0080
08-25-2013, 10:01 PM
I would not put a lot of faith into what someone riding a BMW has to say... it has been my experience they are in a world of their own...short of that I do agree....

H.D. wrote the book on how to sell a lifestyle...many a company has tried to emulate them in that respect...does not get any better!!!

TheShow
08-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Here's an article and video from Market Watch owned by the Wall Street Journal showing that BMW Drivers really are jerks! A US and UK study confirmed it!

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/08/13/bmw-drivers-really-are-jerks-studies-find/

bobbyf6b
08-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Here's an article and video from Market Watch owned by the Wall Street Journal showing that BMW Drivers really are jerks! A US and UK study confirmed it!

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/08/13/bmw-drivers-really-are-jerks-studies-find/

That's awesome, now we have proof!

db24
08-26-2013, 01:17 PM
I live in the Milwaukee, WI area. The big H-D 110th reunion happens this coming weekend, and the highways are already getting crowded with Harleys. I have owned a couple myself. I stopped for gas on my F6B yesterday evening. I was already pulling up to the pump when I realized that there were 10-12 H-Ds parked alongside the building. Several were very nice; all had out-of-state plates. I filled up and and walked into the station. When I walked out two minutes later, all of the Harley riders were gathered around MY bike. They had a million questions. To a person they said they loved the looks of the F6B; a couple said they were thinking of getting one. No one had a negative comment. Overall Harley dependability was a frequent complaint voiced by this group; they believed the Goldwings never really needed more than oil changes and tires. Here's hoping they are right!
:cheers:

ff73148
08-26-2013, 06:43 PM
You have to look at motorcycles based on geography. Those of us in high traffic areas like NJ will never get a chance to use cruise control. So an option like that means nothing. The last time I spoke to the Honda dealer I bought my F6B from, he had sold five. If I lived in a wide open area like Texas than cruise control would be important. I owned a BMW RT before this bike and I never used the cruise control once.

FlyinF
08-26-2013, 07:55 PM
I've been riding for nearly 50 years and the first 45 was without cruise control. I live in Texas and a throttle lock is just fine. Don't get me wrong cruise on the Wing I had and traded for the F6 was nice but it just spoiled me.
Who knows how long the F6 will go, at least we can get stuff for it via the Wing. I've been following the new CB1100 and there is nothing for it "local" all aftermarket stuff comes from Japan or Australia and its all big bucks.........they ask the same question, how long will the CB1100 be around............and that is why not much local available, manufacturers don't want to invest on an unknown.

Erock1800
08-27-2013, 03:51 PM
You have to look at motorcycles based on geography. Those of us in high traffic areas like NJ will never get a chance to use cruise control. So an option like that means nothing. The last time I spoke to the Honda dealer I bought my F6B from, he had sold five. If I lived in a wide open area like Texas than cruise control would be important. I owned a BMW RT before this bike and I never used the cruise control once.

I live in Brick and I bought my M109 from the dealer in TR. mike the salesman can't keep the F6B on the showroom floor long enough. I may by the F6B next year as an addition to the stable or sell my M109R to get the F6B. But I do live my 9. Two totally different bikes. Most of my friends have Harley's because they bought into the lifestyle. I have no issues with them or the bikes. As long as people ride I'm ok.

goldtahoe
08-27-2013, 04:19 PM
I will guarantee there will be twice as many f6b bikes on the streets of Chicago come next riding season ... 9 out of 10 folks who see my bike up close and not online or through word of mouth are absolutely in love with this machine ... I have a buddy who got his just last week. Here in Chicago, unfortunately, we're seasonal riders and folks are already gearing up for the winter, therefore their eyes are set for next season. Every time I go downtown Chicago, I turn in to a 'Honda' rep ... tons of questions and compliments ... this bike will def make a mark in Chicago. I can stand on that personally ... and if it doesn't ... the hell with it ... I GOT MINE!!!!

MOODY
08-27-2013, 07:20 PM
I live in Snyder Texas, between Lubbock and Abilene, In West Texas, We had a rally here this past weekend w/ close to 6000 in attendance
and my F6 was the only one there and had several people ask what it was. One Harley guy was calling it a under-powered GW, He was leaving as my wife and I so I pulled up be side him on the street and he took off and I'm 350# (Not gonna say what my wife weighs, Not that stupid) He got the jump but w/in a block that under powered GW was pulling away from his big bad H-D w/ his big bad 110 CI motor, Got to love it, I also have a fast black 97 Valk and it has never seen the tail light on a H-D, Love my rice burners !!!!!!

Lunatic Fringe
09-01-2013, 01:51 AM
I finally got to sit on a wing and a f6b today and I gotta say at 6 foot tall the wing felt kinda cramped for me, the seat really locked me in and my legs made contact with the fairing. The f6b felt much more open and comfortable, my legs didn't make contact with the fairing. Definately my money would go to the f6b if I we're in the market for a 20k bike. The problem is
I believe there are fewer riders these days that are willing to pay the entrance fee for a new toy.

Yeahoo Whoyah
09-01-2013, 11:10 PM
I checked the Honda website and they are again offering 1.99% fixed APR for up to 36-months on a wide variety of models including the 2013 F6B, GL1800 Gold Wing (all levels), and the new CB1100. It appears the offer ends 9/30/13

Lunatic Fringe
09-02-2013, 02:49 AM
Now that's an incentive right there.

Texas TC
09-02-2013, 09:28 AM
I checked the Honda website and they are again offering 1.99% fixed APR for up to 36-months on a wide variety of models including the 2013 F6B, GL1800 Gold Wing (all levels), and the new CB1100. It appears the offer ends 9/30/13

That deal has been going on for several promotional periods. That is the deal I got when I purchased mine in February.

Scotrod
09-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Same here. 2% is pretty decent. Even better when you get a nice chunk cut off MSRP up front,,,

Trike lady
09-02-2013, 01:05 PM
I haven't seen an F6B in Butler, PA, some Goldwings and HDs.

Yeahoo Whoyah
09-02-2013, 02:37 PM
That deal has been going on for several promotional periods. That is the deal I got when I purchased mine in February.
It was also available in March when I got mine. I'm pretty sure Honda stopped offering the 1.99% APR for awhile during the summer peak by-a-motorcycle season and just re-introduced it. I haven't been watching too closely so I could easily be wrong.